Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
FAO EVERYONE

I noticed a few people were bickering back and forth about what some people were posting and they didn't didn't know if it was who they were saying they were or not etc.

So I decided to create a BRAND NEW forum where you have to register and you can only register one account per email address, This forum has great potential and I hope you'll enjoy the layout as I put a lot of work into it.

There's a profile feature, private message feature, the server is a private hosted server within the UK which makes it a lot faster and with a lot more features to come in the future.

I'm not asking you to ditch AFTN and jump on board MonTheFife - I'm simply offering an alternative to a problem which a lot of people have.

We will also have sections for the supporters club members which I'm hoping to have administered by Yvonne or Paul (Who I still have to speak with), a Trust section which I hope to have administered by Eugene (Who I still have to speak with), also if the AFTN moderators want to jump on board I wouldn't have a problem with that!

So have a look and give it some feedback, you will have to register in order to see all sections of the forum.

www.scotlandfife.com/monthefife

P.S - Mon The Fife!

Re: FAO EVERYONE

No thanks. Quite happy here and have been for many years. Just a thought but perhaps it's worth asking people if they'll help you out before naming them? Good luck to you, think you'll need it.

Mon the Fife indeed

Coonsil Tax Payer
No thanks. Quite happy here and have been for many years. Just a thought but perhaps it's worth asking people if they'll help you out before naming them? Good luck to you, think you'll need it.

Mon the Fife indeed

That's your choice mate, at present we're receiving a mixed reaction, Ian L who has been a member of AFTN since Nov 20, 2006 has joined - It's entirely up to you.

I know Paul and Yvonne and I'm sure they won't mind me mentioning them, if they do I'll apologise to them, but I'm pretty confident they won't.

I've only met Eugene twice but I'm sure he won't mind either, again, if he does I'll apologise.

Coonsil Tax Payer

Mon the Fife indeed

Was this post really necessary.
Boys doing something positive in my view.

Fadi the Fifer
Coonsil Tax Payer

Mon the Fife indeed

Was this post really necessary.
Boys doing something positive in my view.

Thanks Fadi and thanks for registering.

I can now confirm I have spoken with Yvonne, Paul and Ronnie and they all conclude that it's a great idea, I have also shown Brian McNeill and as well as agreeing that it's a great idea he has asked me to keep him informed with the progress of the forum.

Paul has suggested I contact Mike directly which I will do immediately after this post to discuss it with him and see if AFTN want to come on board.

No thanks. AFTN will not be coming on board with you.

Good luck with it, but we're fine here as is.

GoF
No thanks. AFTN will not be coming on board with you.

Good luck with it, but we're fine here as is.

Not a problem.

I think its a good idea if it stop the linos from butting in.

MonTheFife
I'm not asking you to ditch AFTN and jump on board MonTheFife.

Yes you are. You've got a brass neck coming on here to drum up interest.

forum fan
MonTheFife

For your information I would have happily changed the forum name to AFTN if that's what the AFTN moderators wanted me to do when they came on board - I proposed that to Paul and Yvonne today.

GoF has made it clear that he personally doesn't want to come on board but that won't limit the other moderators decisions, they are still more than welcome to join.

GoF refusing the invite simply forces me to make my own website to go with the forum, I'm sure it could have been great if we were in it together which I openly AND privately offered and that offer was declined - So I fail to see how you can claim I have a 'brass neck'.

It's like going into Asda and putting up a Tesco poster

A new forum without a bit of abuse back and forward and no Linos will be a pretty dull place in my opinion.

I'll stick where I am.

Dale Winton
a bit of abuse back and forward and no Linos will be a pretty dull place in my opinion.

No one said this would be abolished.

Have fun either way.

So everything will be as it is here, except you need to register?

With all due respect we don't need any more forums and I think you're wasting your time here MTF. With AFTN, Facebook and Twitter there's already more than enough ways for fans to broadcast their views. Really can't see many registering for another (quieter) platform.

Good luck with it though.

Dale Winton
So everything will be as it is here, except you need to register?

Right behind you sister.

It's a more modern forum. so a shame aftn website has not taken up offer of running it here ? Then sticking with same format . its what the forum here at aftn should have looked like 10 years ago !!

then.

Hahaha

I've had a look and the format is excellent. A big improvement on what is on offer here. Whether or not it can attract as many users as an established forum is another question. No need to be rude to the guy though. Good luck to him.

I like the format too.

One we can implement here actually at the flick of a switch if people so desire, but when it was first mentioned the general feedback was they didn't want that, so we'll see.

Kings of Fife
No need to be rude to the guy though.

why not? he's got a bloody cheek. if he wants to set up his own forum, bugger off and get on with it instead of taking liberties

Some of the comments on Twitter are pretty childish imo. I`ll stick with AFTN thanks.

Just saw his twitter comments. What a knob!

At least he'll not be on here so there's that!

MonTheFife
forum fan
MonTheFife

For your information I would have happily changed the forum name to AFTN if that's what the AFTN moderators wanted me to do when they came on board - I proposed that to Paul and Yvonne today.

GoF has made it clear that he personally doesn't want to come on board but that won't limit the other moderators decisions, they are still more than welcome to join.

GoF refusing the invite simply forces me to make my own website to go with the forum, I'm sure it could have been great if we were in it together which I openly AND privately offered and that offer was declined - So I fail to see how you can claim I have a 'brass neck'.

So GoF refused your invite to let you, as one individual, take over the forum and decide on behalf of all it's users how it'll be run?

And, having tried to take over his forum, you're now trying to entice his moderators away?

And this now somehow "forces" you to start a whole website?

I think, in business, this would be known as a hostile takeover bid.

I think the important thing is that we remember this forum is what people make it. GoF provides a framework for people to have their say. He regularly asks for feedback on whether people want change and builds this into his thinking. Of course, there will always be differing opinions and he can't please all the people all the time.

But, at the end of the day, the forum is what people post - simple as that. I think AFTN provides a great service and has done for decades - in fanzine form and online, through thick and thin and not just when the latest 'revolution' is going on - and I'm happy to play a small part in that as a regular poster and as a moderator.

Don't get me wrong. I get as pissed off as anyone when people post stuff which I think is inappropriate / unhelpful / overly negative / head-in-the-sand positive etc etc but then I get pissed off that people watch X Factor and Jeremy Kyle but it's their business. I can't tell them what to watch and, wherever it's reasonably possible, I try not to tell them what to post on the forum.

I'm behind anything that's good for East Fife over the long-haul though, and I certainly agree with one thing ... MonTheFife

KotS
MonTheFife
forum fan
MonTheFife

So GoF refused your invite to let you, as one individual, take over the forum and decide on behalf of all it's users how it'll be run?

And, having tried to take over his forum, you're now trying to entice his moderators away?

And this now somehow "forces" you to start a whole website?

I think, in business, this would be known as a hostile takeover bid.

I think the important thing is that we remember this forum is what people make it. GoF provides a framework for people to have their say. He regularly asks for feedback on whether people want change and builds this into his thinking. Of course, there will always be differing opinions and he can't please all the people all the time.

But, at the end of the day, the forum is what people post - simple as that. I think AFTN provides a great service and has done for decades - in fanzine form and online, through thick and thin and not just when the latest 'revolution' is going on - and I'm happy to play a small part in that as a regular poster and as a moderator.

Don't get me wrong. I get as pissed off as anyone when people post stuff which I think is inappropriate / unhelpful / overly negative / head-in-the-sand positive etc etc but then I get pissed off that people watch X Factor and Jeremy Kyle but it's their business. I can't tell them what to watch and, wherever it's reasonably possible, I try not to tell them what to post on the forum.

I'm behind anything that's good for East Fife over the long-haul though, and I certainly agree with one thing ... MonTheFife

Excellent post KotS

Good luck, but I'm not prepared to register there. I went over for a look, but couldn't see any posts at all. You seem to be keeping the whole board hidden from anyone who isn't registered. This, in my view, is unacceptably restrictive. I don't want to be part of a closed shop. Even if i could see the content and did want to post there, I'm terrible at remembering passwords and don't like signing up for new ones.

I know some folk moan about AFTN sometimes, but the open forum here is the best setup for a free exchange of views.

prodigal son
I went over for a look, but couldn't see any posts at all. You seem to be keeping the whole board hidden from anyone who isn't registered. This, in my view, is unacceptably restrictive. I don't want to be part of a closed shop. Even if i could see the content and did want to post there, I'm terrible at remembering passwords and don't like signing up for new ones.

The forum is now open (I've even got some black and gold smilies ) , you can view posts but if you want to post you'll have to register.

http://scotlandfife.com/monthefife/

While you're at it take a look at the website, still LOADS more to add...

http://scotlandfife.com/mtf/

Questions for you Bryan.

Why does a huge Rangers fan like yourself now have such a keen interest in running an East Fife forum and will you still be around in ten years time? Or even two.

Do you know HaHaHa? Very similar writing style.

Very surprised GOF is letting you continue to plug your site on here after your pish on twitter the other day, which I see you've now deleted.

Curious
Questions for you Bryan.

Why does a huge Rangers fan like yourself now have such a keen interest in running an East Fife forum and will you still be around in ten years time? Or even two.

Do you know HaHaHa? Very similar writing style.

Very surprised GOF is letting you continue to plug your site on here after your pish on twitter the other day, which I see you've now deleted.

East Fife has always been my local team, but you're right, I have only recently started to take a keen interest in East Fife and there are a few reasons for this, of course the revolution was an incentive but my dad also started going to the games again regularly.

He is also a season ticket holder now, he used to attend most games at Old Bayview but I'm too young (25) to remember much about Old Bayview, I can vaguely remember attending Old Bayview with my dad though.

I have no intentions of going anywhere, as long as East Fife are in Fife they will always be my local team.

No, I don't know who 'HaHaHa' is.

As for twitter, the pish you're referring to was just in the heat of the moment as I was being out-cast for trying to do something for the fans and I'm sorry for it, hence why I deleted it, if a lot of you don't want to come on board then I'm fine with that.

I will try my best to preserve my 'pish' in future to prevent situations from escalating, Cheers.

#MonTheFife

wot pish was that then?

I was basically trying to talk up my site and forum and was going completely the wrong way about it, I don't want to have any animosity towards anyone, especially no one at AFTN as they have done a lot of work with and for the fans over the years, we're all Fife fans at the end of the day

MTF,

It's great that you've come on board as a Fife fan and I wish more local Rangers/Celtic fans would do the same. No harm in trying to make a new forum either but as someone else said AFTN hasbeen our platorm through thick and thin, many chairmen/boards/managers/reigemes have come and gone in that time.

Hopefully the new guys deliver and stick around for the long term, but don't be surprised if the fans don't want to hans everything over to them. It was a wee bit cheeky suggesting you might just take over AFTN

I didn't suggest I was going to takeover AFTN at all, I never intended to come across that way either, I simply wanted to help improve AFTN, Bring it up to date, revamp if you wish.

Michael seems to have a revamp underway though and has refused my offer, I had even said to Paul and Yvonne that if he wanted me to change my forums name to AFTN I would and would provide all moderators from AFTN with full administrative privileges.

Curious, You seem to know who I am as you know I'm a big Rangers fan so I'm intrigued, who are you?