Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Patience!

Hard as it is to watch us getting beat every week, we do have a good squad of players and once we find the right blend, I am certain we will climb up the league pretty soon.
As supporters, we need to remain patient a little while longer and give the new regime a chance to deliver what they obviously are desperately trying to do.
The players, just like in the past few years, need this support and encouragement from us, as again in the past, the whinging and criticism does not get anybody, anywhere.

How many seasons will it take for the whingers to realise this fact?

Re: Patience!

Finding the right blend? How long do we allow manager to achieve this? If he doesn't get the blend right on Sat he will surely be sacked.

Eternal optimists are as bad as doom-merchants. A realistic viewpoint is that we do have some very decent players, on paper, but it looks like being another long, hard season that we're going to have to endure because the squad is ridiculously unbalanced and apart from the odd few spells, we haven't really turned up in our seven competitive games, which is why we've lost six of them.

You'll always get a few at any club who want to get rid of the manager, a few who'd hand him a lifetime contract, regardless of results but the vast majority are probably still waiting to see how things go.

Jocky we've been patient for so long I suppose another season of mediocrity to add to last 6 will not matter. But patience only stretches for so long.

I had hoped to see regular 2nd tier fitba before I shuffle off this world into the next (a parallel one hopefully where The Fife are Champions League winners every year, though knowing my luck we'll be propping up the Fife amateur league 3rd division) though that seems to becoming a forlorn hope with every passing season.

Bob Agg
Eternal optimists are as bad as doom-merchants. A realistic viewpoint is that we do have some very decent players, on paper, but it looks like being another long, hard season that we're going to have to endure because the squad is ridiculously unbalanced and apart from the odd few spells, we haven't really turned up in our seven competitive games, which is why we've lost six of them.

You'll always get a few at any club who want to get rid of the manager, a few who'd hand him a lifetime contract, regardless of results but the vast majority are probably still waiting to see how things go.

Well said sir

Bob Agg
A realistic viewpoint is that we do have some very decent players, on paper

Get rid of the turf and get out the brown paper

Bob Agg

Great post. With our current squad we WILL turn things around. BELIEVE!

Jocky
Hard as it is to watch us getting beat every week, we do have a good squad of players and once we find the right blend, I am certain we will climb up the league pretty soon.
As supporters, we need to remain patient a little while longer and give the new regime a chance to deliver what they obviously are desperately trying to do.
The players, just like in the past few years, need this support and encouragement from us, as again in the past, the whinging and criticism does not get anybody, anywhere.

How many seasons will it take for the whingers to realise this fact?

I always thought you were a board member ? but clearly you are not , the manager has 2 games left . or changes WILL be made , trust me i know , you are a blind loyal fan who can't see past the club , wake up FFS .

Same old replies by the same people who call for blood when things are bad. You don't get the point about how the bad vibes from the stand and your comments can have a negative effect and you all go blindly on complaining, constantly finding something negative, even when we are winning a league.

Quote DPH - "Finding the right blend? How long do we allow manager to achieve this? If he doesn't get the blend right on Sat he will surely be sacked."

Quote Grim Reaper - "we've been patient for so long I suppose another season of mediocrity to add to last 6 will not matter. But patience only stretches for so long."

That is just it guys, you have not been patient at all and may I remind you it is only a matter of weeks old this season.

Sunderland has been mentioned elsewhere about not messing and getting rid of Di Canio. Well, check out Sunderland's history when it comes to buying success / changing managers and you will find it has not made a blind bit of difference to their success over the years. Same goes for several other English clubs.

I am not questioning DPH's or Grim Reaper's loyalty here, just asking to look back and see where changing the manager so frequently has actually got us? More importantly, the affect the negativity has on the players? Put yourself in their shoes and think how you would think and react to being called useless.

As for Mr305 finally acknowledging I am just a plain supporter, nothing else, that just goes to show how wrong he was about that in the past, so maybe he is wrong also about calling for change and maybe needs to wake up himself!

I think one of the big issues isn't how long we give our managers, it's how we appoint them.

When was the last time this club advertised to see who was out there, interviewed, and appointed the best candidate for the job?

Aitchison was given the job without an interview process, as was Brown, Durie, Robertson, Crawford, you'd probably have to go back to Baikie to find a manager that actually had to compete with other managers through an interview process.

Is it any wonder we're not getting the right men for the job when we just give the job away? Whether or not these guys were bad or good appointments is another discussion, but surely they should at least have been invited to apply along with any other candidate.

My fear is that if we sack the current manager, a new one will be appointed within hours and probably won't be the best that we can get. Trust me, with our set up, facilities and a few of our players, there would be some high profile players/coaches interested in speaking to the club about the job.

Brown and Robertson were interviewed for the job.

Noisy Crossbar
Brown and Robertson were interviewed for the job.

If they were then I don't remember the club inviting applicants. Doesn't really count as an interview if they were the only people interviewed at the time, or if there hadn't been an open/public call for applicants to the advertised position/vacancy. Many guys in football wouldn't make unsolicited approaches to clubs for a job that someone is already doing after all, even if that person is a caretaker manager.

My point is that if Aitchison goes, this week or next, I hope the club will buck the trend and make everyone in Scottish football aware that they are looking for a new manager, invite applicants, interview them, and choose the best candidate. A few weeks of uncertainty ending with us emerging with a manager who can do the job well for at least a couple of years would be worth it, rather than the usual panic of "we need a new manager right this instant" and hand the job to Naysmith/Neilson (and by all means, ask them to apply, if they are the most suitable then appoint them) or similar to the BB situation announce the appointment out of nowhere hours after Aitchison goes.

Of course I'd much rather all of this was irrelevant and we just pumped Airdrie 5-0 on Sat then wen't undefeated for the rest of the season. For what its worth I also agree to an extent with the OP that fans should be looking to get right behind the team at the weekend and not go to the game with the intention of hounding WA out the door, thinking that all will be rosy after that.

Brown made an unsolicited approach to east fife on the news that the job was vacant. Robertson was approached by east fife.

And at the time I do believe the consensus amongst supporters where that these were good appointments and the board received much praise.

I really don't think the methods used by east fife when appointing managers is flawed. It seems consistent with the methods used by other clubs and like east fife, sometimes it works out and sometimes is doesn't.

I hope we do start to turn the corner - but if we don't a change of manager may be required.

Noisy Crossbar
I really don't think the methods used by east fife when appointing managers is flawed. It seems consistent with the methods used by other clubs and like east fife, sometimes it works out and sometimes is doesn't.

Can you please explain then how this fits in with Willie Aitchison ending up in the job? There was no interview process. Willie was approached by his old pal, and given the job. Brian McNeill is probably the only person in senior football who thinks Willie Aitchison has got what it takes to be a manager. Why are we appointing a manager on the back of a single person's recommendation?

fifer
Noisy Crossbar

Can you please explain then how this fits in with Willie Aitchison ending up in the job? There was no interview process. Willie was approached by his old pal, and given the job. Brian McNeill is probably the only person in senior football who thinks Willie Aitchison has got what it takes to be a manager. Why are we appointing a manager on the back of a single person's recommendation?

I have to agree with that. A combination of being a pal and talking himself up probably got Aitchison the job as he has had virtually no experience even assisting with previous jobs.

The Forfar, Stranraer and Airdrie games were vital and 7 points should have been a realistic target. If East Fife are defeated on Saturday then I would certainly think it would be time for the board to admit Aitchison was a mistake.

What worries me is that results continue to be poor and the extra supporters we have attracted, decide to stay away.

Lee Murray has done a great job off the field and can little afford for a bottom of the league position to continue.

Noisy Crossbar

And at the time I do believe the consensus amongst supporters where that these were good appointments and the board received much praise.

That means nothing, fan opinion changes with the wind and to be honest, most of us don't know enough to properly judge what constitutes a "good appointment". Besides, wouldn't most probably say on hindsight that they were poor or incorrect appointments?

I'd much rather the board in future treat something as serious as the appointment of a manager with the thoroughness it deserves. The job should be advertised through all footballing circles and beyond, thorough research of applicants, varying factors taken in to consideration, interviews conducted and if necessary a shortlist drawn up before going on to a second phase of interviews and then an appointment.

Have we managed to stagnate in this league with an average of two managers per season because we're very quick to hand the job to anyone who's had a chat with someone on the board and convinced them that they are the man for the job? It probably has something to do with that yes.

Like I say, hopefully everything clicks on Saturday and all this is irrelevant, but if we do end up on the lookout for a new boss let's make sure it's done properly.

Purple Hat

That means nothing, fan opinion changes with the wind and to be honest, most of us don't know enough to properly judge what constitutes a "good appointment".

If supporters don't know, who does? Players, other managers, club chairmen, board members?

I can see how those involved in the management side of the game would likely know a hell of a lot more than the average supporter and maybe players who've worked with the guys involved but I think watching a team regulalry for years and attending hundreds of games is a pretty decent qualification for judging managers.

Not having a go at Lee Murray at all, just using him as an example - but why would he be any more qualified to hire or judge a manager or potential manager than any regular East Fife suppporter?

Bob Agg
Purple Hat

That means nothing, fan opinion changes with the wind and to be honest, most of us don't know enough to properly judge what constitutes a "good appointment".

If supporters don't know, who does? Players, other managers, club chairmen, board members?

I can see how those involved in the management side of the game would likely know a hell of a lot more than the average supporter and maybe players who've worked with the guys involved but I think watching a team regulalry for years and attending hundreds of games is a pretty decent qualification for judging managers.

Not having a go at Lee Murray at all, just using him as an example - but why would he be any more qualified to hire or judge a manager or potential manager than any regular East Fife suppporter?

Because we don't conduct the interviews?

Atchison should stick to driving fucking taxis.

If you can't even spell the name of the manager it's almost impossible to have a credible viewpoint.

I don't care. I`m Angry!

You can feel my pain.

Jocky
Same old replies by the same people who call for blood when things are bad. You don't get the point about how the bad vibes from the stand and your comments can have a negative effect and you all go blindly on complaining, constantly finding something negative, even when we are winning a league.

Quote DPH - "Finding the right blend? How long do we allow manager to achieve this? If he doesn't get the blend right on Sat he will surely be sacked."

Quote Grim Reaper - "we've been patient for so long I suppose another season of mediocrity to add to last 6 will not matter. But patience only stretches for so long."

That is just it guys, you have not been patient at all and may I remind you it is only a matter of weeks old this season.

Sunderland has been mentioned elsewhere about not messing and getting rid of Di Canio. Well, check out Sunderland's history when it comes to buying success / changing managers and you will find it has not made a blind bit of difference to their success over the years. Same goes for several other English clubs.

I am not questioning DPH's or Grim Reaper's loyalty here, just asking to look back and see where changing the manager so frequently has actually got us? More importantly, the affect the negativity has on the players? Put yourself in their shoes and think how you would think and react to being called useless.

As for Mr305 finally acknowledging I am just a plain supporter, nothing else, that just goes to show how wrong he was about that in the past, so maybe he is wrong also about calling for change and maybe needs to wake up himself!

Feck me !!!!!!!!! I now know who you are !!!!!! . YOU actually are a director , AH HA , Would never have thought it tho . The club need to send YOU packing .

Exactly. Same old fucking dinosaurs still lingering in the background like a bad fart on a cloth chair.

SPF had the measure of this twat a year ago.

Makes my blood boil.

Jocky

Jocky I have been patient since about 1968 waiting for something to happen and and still support the club and go to matches so I know all about being patient (some great years excepted e.g. 72, 86 or 96).

How long should I continue being patient? Till 2014? 2020, 2038 (the centenary year, has a nice ring to it), 2050, the year 2525?

Grim Reaper
Jocky

Jocky I have been patient since about 1968 waiting for something to happen and and still support the club and go to matches so I know all about being patient (some great years excepted e.g. 72, 86 or 96).

How long should I continue being patient? Till 2014? 2020, 2038 (the centenary year, has a nice ring to it), 2050, the year 2525?

You still don't get the meaning of the patience word do you?

How many weeks has the manager been in charge? It certainly has not been since 1968 now, is it? So wtf has 1968 got to do with judging a manager who has only been in charge for only a few weeks?

You should know better at your age!

Mr Angry
Exactly. Same old fucking dinosaurs still lingering in the background like a bad fart on a cloth chair.

SPF had the measure of this twat a year ago.

Makes my blood boil.

And you! Shut your puss!

Jocky
Grim Reaper
Jocky

How many weeks has the manager been in charge? It certainly has not been since 1968 now, is it? So wtf has 1968 got to do with judging a manager who has only been in charge for only a few weeks?

Jocky, I think you will find that Mr Aitchison has been in charge for more than 3 weeks.

How long would you give him?

El Presidente
Jocky
Grim Reaper
Jocky

Jocky, I think you will find that Mr Aitchison has been in charge for more than 3 weeks.

How long would you give him?

Who says 3 weeks like? Or are you saying 3 weeks is long enough? Explain please?

My mistake is saying 3 but 3 is certainly nearer a "few" than the 9 competitive games he has been in charge of so far.

I take it you will be happy to let him continue, no matter what the results are and watch the crowds dwindle to what they were last season.

Jocky

You're right. Give him until Christmas. If we are cast adrift at the bottom of the league then will you agree that a change in management is needed?

El Presidente
My mistake is saying 3 but 3 is certainly nearer a "few" than the 9 competitive games he has been in charge of so far.

I take it you will be happy to let him continue, no matter what the results are and watch the crowds dwindle to what they were last season.

Don't be so bloody stupid. You didnae make a mistake, you were trying to give your argument weight, tell the truth. If you think 9 weeks is long enough, that is your prerogative, but I see more than the results, i look at the football and there is definitely an emphasise on -playing good football, which is what I want to see East Fife play. There is obviously work to do to get winning games, but i am willing to give it a bit longer. You obviously do not remember past seasons too well, so i will remind you of the time we were promoted in 2003. After 9 games of the 2nd division, we were either top or 2nd top. What happened next??? Do you remember? That was because we were not playing good football, it was just a hoof up the park that the other teams soon got sorted out and then we were relegated!

Yep, thats right Jocky. You were nowhere to be seen on this forum commenting on how we were trying to play good football.
The only time you post is to have a go at the other posters who voice an opinion, concerned about our current league position.

A lot of people are concerned, and rightly so.

El Presidente
Yep, thats right Jocky. You were nowhere to be seen on this forum commenting on how we were trying to play good football.
The only time you post is to have a go at the other posters who voice an opinion, concerned about our current league position.

And what have you posted before Mr El Presidente? You are not the most prolific poster on this forum, are you? In fact, I don't believe you have ever posted on any other thread? How strange for you to make the above post in light of that fact?

Anyway, how do you equate the first 9 league matches and eventual outcome of the 2003 season, compared to the first 6 league matches this season? Does it tell you anything?

Jocky
El Presidente

And what have you posted before Mr El Presidente? You are not the most prolific poster on this forum, are you? In fact, I don't believe you have ever posted on any other thread? How strange for you to make the above post in light of that fact?

Anyway, how do you equate the first 9 league matches and eventual outcome of the 2003 season, compared to the first 6 league matches this season? Does it tell you anything?

It tells me that back in 2003 we were already ten points better off than we are now, and we were relegated. Please excuse me Jocky, but for the life of me I cannot see this as a reason to be optimistic.

we are going to win on Saturday 3 0 you heard it here first

I bloody hope so !

fifer
Jocky
El Presidente

It tells me that back in 2003 we were already ten points better off than we are now, and we were relegated. Please excuse me Jocky, but for the life of me I cannot see this as a reason to be optimistic.

Where is cocky jocky tonight with his know all answers?

Board meeting!

Funny how the Twat always shows up when folk start moaning.

I can`t recall Cocky ever posting when the team were doing well. Always jumps on folks backs when he isn`t happy with their posts.

Cocky is always right though.

Mr Angry
Board meeting!

Thought I told you to shut your puss son?

fifer
Jocky
El Presidente

It is not being optimistic mate, it is about giving a manager time to get it right. How many managers must we go through for you guys to realise that sacking them after a short time is NOT F'N WORKING!!

Bob
I can`t recall Cocky ever posting when the team were doing well. Always jumps on folks backs when he isn`t happy with their posts.

Cocky is always right though.

Great post, Knob?

How much time do you give a manager then? If we were getting better each week then fair enough but we are not, far from it. We certainly never gave players ft contracts to sit bottom of league and out 2 cups at first hurdle anyway. No excuses today anyway, must win game. We are a laughing stock and rightly so at the moment.

DPH
How much time do you give a manager then? If we were getting better each week then fair enough but we are not, far from it. We certainly never gave players ft contracts to sit bottom of league and out 2 cups at first hurdle anyway. No excuses today anyway, must win game. We are a laughing stock and rightly so at the moment.

All I'm saying DPH is that Willie Aitchison is hardly in the door and basically starting from scratch with a new team. I think we can all agree that the team are trying to play good football from the back, but unfortunately in this league, the long ball seems to reign and we seem to struggle with that, as we have always done it seems.

The midfield is definitely not the right blend and the manager needs to sort it out soon, but to be fair he is trying to do that I believe. That in itself may be the problem, because we are not getting a settled team out on the park and maybe we should try and get some consistency in the team selections. The cup games were effectively the first competitive games we played and I would not read too much into them, for the reasons above.

I am not going to try and dictate who should be picked, but our squad does have good players and they need to be played where they are going to be more effective.

It is a team game and it needs all members of the team to make it a team that works well. That includes us the supporters and no amount of booing at the end of games is going to help the cause.

Edit - Meant to say, no player should be indispensable and the manager needs to be strong on that front.

The players have to take their fair share of the blame too. How many times do we hear "going through the motions" or "heads are down" in relation to games? These guys have minds and bodies of their own and should be capable of performing at a basic level regardless.

Even if the manager was performing poorly there should be enough experience to sort it out on the park. During our title winning season Steven Tweed used to organise the side once they were out on the park in spite of Baikie's "gameplan". Granted that was a team of players playing at a level that they were too good for at that time, but most of our players are good enough for this league and certainly no worse than the likes of Arbroath's and Stranraer's.

Jocky
Mr Angry
Board meeting!

Try making me you sad, lonely wee tosser.

Mr Angry
Jocky
Mr Angry
Board meeting!

Change 'wee' for 'BIG'.

Jocky
Mr Angry
Jocky
Mr Angry
Board meeting!

Change 'wee' for 'BIG'.

Big tosser sounds about right.
Not very popular are you Jocky.

Jocky
DPH

All I'm saying DPH is that Willie Aitchison is hardly in the door and basically starting from scratch with a new team. I think we can all agree that the team are trying to play good football from the back, but unfortunately in this league, the long ball seems to reign and we seem to struggle with that, as we have always done it seems.

The midfield is definitely not the right blend and the manager needs to sort it out soon, but to be fair he is trying to do that I believe. That in itself may be the problem, because we are not getting a settled team out on the park and maybe we should try and get some consistency in the team selections. The cup games were effectively the first competitive games we played and I would not read too much into them, for the reasons above.

I am not going to try and dictate who should be picked, but our squad does have good players and they need to be played where they are going to be more effective.

It is a team game and it needs all members of the team to make it a team that works well. That includes us the supporters and no amount of booing at the end of games is going to help the cause.

Edit - Meant to say, no player should be indispensable and the manager needs to be strong on that front.

jocky we have been getting passed to death by teams. The fact the manager has been trying to get players who are not able to play it out from the back shoes his weakness. Example give the ball to Stoney when he is on the back foot and getting closed down and he panics, same for durie, put the ball in front of them going forward and both are quite decent. Dueto is shocking unless he has 5 minutes to make up his mind. So long and short is manager has a chance to put it right today, and he won't get it right with tippy tappy stuff in our half.

I do apologise I said we would win 3 nil .it was only 1 who gives a fcuk its three points in the bag great team effort.

A strange, sickly silence descends upon AFTN yet again, after an East Fife victory!

Jocky
A strange, sickly silence descends upon AFTN yet again, after an East Fife victory!

That is a point worth making, because it doesn't happen often.
I would guess that the critics feel much the same way as they did last week, unconvinced. I would also guess that the manager's backers don't feel able to crow, because a single goal victory from a deflected shot is not strong evidence that there are better times ahead.

fifer
Jocky

I would guess that the critics feel much the same way as they did last week, unconvinced. I would also guess that the manager's backers don't feel able to crow, because a single goal victory from a deflected shot is not strong evidence that there are better times ahead.

Well said that man. Spot on sir.
Didn't play particularly well against a very poor side it has to be said.

Next week will be interesting.

Jeek
fifer
Jocky

Well said that man. Spot on sir.
Didn't play particularly well against a very poor side it has to be said.

Next week will be interesting.

Must of only started watching at half time surely?

First 45mins we dominated them and really should of been 3/4 up. 2nd half wasn't as straight forward but apart from a 10min spell when Airdrie got on top it was in the end a fairly comfortable win. Yes it would of been nice to win 4/5-0 but we got the 3 points and that's all that matters.

Horrible supporters.