Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1953 League Cup

The 24th October will be the 60th anniversary of our League Cup victory and plans are being put in place to celebrate the event both at the club and in the programme.
The club are behind this 100% and to support both the club's efforts and a special edition programme we would like to hear from anyone who was involved in the campaign,was at the game,has relatives or friends with memories/ memorabilia of the game or even has family with stories about the campaign.
Readers of this may not be able to help directly but may know of someone who can so we would appreciate any help.
If you can help please contact the club or email me at the address shown.

Re: 1953 League Cup

Great to see. Looking forward to reading this.

We need to make sure we spread the word about this online and through social media. Who knows what we might turn up.

You should try getting hold of that old guy with the grey hair that takes his grandkids to the game. Think he's called Paul something.

Also pretty sure Jim C was taking photos at the game.

I REMBER THE FINAL LIKE YESTERDAY,I WAS A 12 YEAR OLD SUPPORTER THEN I WENT ON THE SUPPORTERS BUS WITH MY DAD ,WE GOT PICKED UP AT THE KIRKLAND BAR AND MADE OUR WAY TO HAMPDEN,WHAT A GREAT DAY WE HAD.ON THE WAY HOME WE WENT ALONG DUKE STREET I REMEMBER THE PAPER BOYS COMING ON THE BUS SELLING A GREAT BIG GREEN SPORTING PAPER WITH EAST FIFE ALL OVER THE FRONT PAGE,I HAD THAT PAPER FOR YEARS,AND WHEN WE GOT BACK TO METHIL ALL THE CROWDS AROUND BAYVIEW, GREAT DAYS.

Count me in for this one. My first time to the 'old' Hampden Park and not the last !!
Not being into programmes at that time (I was only 17) I did not buy one and regretted that for years.
However the 'Friends from the Wemyss') website came to the rescue. Member Bill Donaldson in Brisbane, Australia was moving some boxes around and came across this 'valuable' (well it only cost 3d) programme and knowing its importance to me soon had it on its way to Leven !!!

Just a reminder that we would love to hear about you or your families memories of the 1953 League cup final.

Jim Beavers
Count me in for this one. My first time to the 'old' Hampden Park and not the last !!
Not being into programmes at that time (I was only 17) I did not buy one and regretted that for years.
However the 'Friends from the Wemyss') website came to the rescue. Member Bill Donaldson in Brisbane, Australia was moving some boxes around and came across this 'valuable' (well it only cost 3d) programme and knowing its importance to me soon had it on its way to Leven !!!

Good story Jim

Jim Beavers - please email me.

My grandad, Tam Anderson, was chairman of the club when this game took place. He was chairman between 1953 & 1958 although he was on the board before this.

I mentioned to my dad, whos now almost 80, about this topic and he gave me a couple of his memories although not about this game, from my grandads time on the board / chairman.

He remembers my grandad speaking to Sammy Stewart after the 1947 final v Falkirk ( Jerry Dawson, future manager played in goals for Falkirk ) and asking why East Fife didnt win the game as they outplayed them! Sammys attitude was "wait til the replay we'll have them I'm telling you!". East Fife won the replay 4-1. Falkirk finished 7th in the top league that season whilst EFFC were still a second division club.

My dad remembers going up to Perth to see a game at Jeanfield Swifts ground around 1946 with my grandad and John McArthur, then Chairman, and Henry Morris was playing. My dad remembers on the journey back to Methil, John McArthur and my grandad talking about trying to get Henry Morris to sign for East Fife. A couple of weeks later my dad remembers John McArthur telling my grandad that Henry Morris had signed for East Fife however initially he took a bit of convincing. Apparently John McArthur had went to Henry Morris's house in Dundee and he didnt want to sign. John McArthur, who was on the SFA committee accepted he was unsuccessful at trying to sign Henry, then gave Henry 2 tickets for an upcoming Scotland international game as he was about to leave the house and Henry changed his mind and decided to sign for East Fife.

He mentioned about my grandad waiting on a taxi picking him up at their house in Barrie St, Methil, which still stands. Jerry Dawson, manager of East Fife was in the taxi as well as George Young, Rangers & Scotland captain at the time and my dad couldnt believe it! This was to take them all to a game around 1953.

My dad also mentioned about East Fife players coming back from playing for Scottish national team in early 1950's and obviously hearing what players were getting paid at more fashionable clubs and not being happy!

He also mentioned about during the war, several high profile players turning out for East Fife. My dad thinks some of them were staying at The Miners Institute on Fisher St and one of them was Bill Shankly.

Must have been great days to be an East Fife fan!

Brilliant!

Had a look at the results for the league cup campaign that season. They are almost unbelievable! East Fife knocked out Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs and also beat Partick in the final. Celtic won the league that season but I didnt know Partick finished 3rd! To win at Celtic Park, Pittodrie, Tynecastle and then Hampden was a brilliant achievement plus hammering The Pars!

08.08.1953 prg2 Airdrieonians away L1-4
12.08.1953 prg2 Celtic home D1-1
15.08.1953 prg2 Aberdeen home W2-0
22.08.1953 prg2 Airdrieonians home W5-1
26.08.1953 prg2 Celtic away W1-0
29.08.1953 prg2 Aberdeen away W4-3
12.09.1953 qf-1 Dunfermline Athletic home W6-2
16.09.1953 qf-2 Dunfermline Athletic away W3-2 (9-4)
10.10.1953 sf Hibernian neutral, Tynecastle W3-2
24.10.1953 fn Partick Thistle neutral W3-2

Final League Table

1 Celtic
2 Heart of Midlothian
3 Partick Thistle
4 Rangers
5 Hibernian
6 East Fife
7 Dundee
8 Clyde
9 Aberdeen
10 Queen of the South
11 St Mirren
12 Raith Rovers
13 Falkirk
14 Stirling Albion
15 Airdrieonians
16 Hamilton Academical

FFS this is worse than listening to the drivel about 1966 and how they got it up them.Your team are shit and you are the worst team in Fife,now go away and lie down peacefully.

parsrus
FFS this is worse than listening to the drivel about 1966 and how they got it up them.Your team are shit and you are the worst team in Fife,now go away and lie down peacefully.

So why exactly are you reading this, THE unofficial East Fife Football Club forum?

Luckily met plenty of good pars fans yesterday. You SIR are a total fud, just like the 11 big time no time fannys plYing for you.

And you sir,just how many fannies do you have playing for you.Your just a wee team.

Parsrus - GIRUY wi yer wee team pish. You lot are the wee team now,

Well done East Fife in putting it right up those big time Charlies.

Great to see the dark side of Fife being put in their place - again.

You are now entering the Twilight Zone,a place where Rovers knobheads come to slag Dunfy goons.

Argyll Fifer

My grandad, Tam Anderson, was chairman of the club when this game took place. He was chairman between 1953 & 1958 although he was on the board before this.

I mentioned to my dad, whos now almost 80, about this topic and he gave me a couple of his memories although not about this game, from my grandads time on the board / chairman.

He remembers my grandad speaking to Sammy Stewart after the 1947 final v Falkirk ( Jerry Dawson, future manager played in goals for Falkirk ) and asking why East Fife didnt win the game as they outplayed them! Sammys attitude was "wait til the replay we'll have them I'm telling you!". East Fife won the replay 4-1. Falkirk finished 7th in the top league that season whilst EFFC were still a second division club.

My dad remembers going up to Perth to see a game at Jeanfield Swifts ground around 1946 with my grandad and John McArthur, then Chairman, and Henry Morris was playing. My dad remembers on the journey back to Methil, John McArthur and my grandad talking about trying to get Henry Morris to sign for East Fife. A couple of weeks later my dad remembers John McArthur telling my grandad that Henry Morris had signed for East Fife however initially he took a bit of convincing. Apparently John McArthur had went to Henry Morris's house in Dundee and he didnt want to sign. John McArthur, who was on the SFA committee accepted he was unsuccessful at trying to sign Henry, then gave Henry 2 tickets for an upcoming Scotland international game as he was about to leave the house and Henry changed his mind and decided to sign for East Fife.

He mentioned about my grandad waiting on a taxi picking him up at their house in Barrie St, Methil, which still stands. Jerry Dawson, manager of East Fife was in the taxi as well as George Young, Rangers & Scotland captain at the time and my dad couldnt believe it! This was to take them all to a game around 1953.

My dad also mentioned about East Fife players coming back from playing for Scottish national team in early 1950's and obviously hearing what players were getting paid at more fashionable clubs and not being happy!

He also mentioned about during the war, several high profile players turning out for East Fife. My dad thinks some of them were staying at The Miners Institute on Fisher St and one of them was Bill Shankly.

Must have been great days to be an East Fife fan!
Brilliant

Don't like it when Levenmouth Rover praises East Fife.

Aye he probably a crossdressing lino wanker and after you they are the wee team in Fife.They've no got a clue who owns their ground,and they no hee haw about football.Half their teams Dunfermline castoffs utter tossers.