Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Anorak help wanted 71-72 season

hoping someone out there can help wi ma wee dilemma.

ive nearly completed my programme collection from 1970 to 1980, but im missing a few from the 71-72 season.

the prog numbers missing are 1,6,9,19, yet when i look at the Breedon book of football records there are no records of any league or cup games during these dates, so im thinking either friendlies or fife cup games.

anyone able to shed some light on this it would be most helpful?. i can supply dates if that will help

cheers.

Re: Anorak help wanted 71-72 season

Number 6 is a Reserve game v Hibernian
Number 9 is a Reserve game v Rangers (I think)
Number 19 is a Reserve game v Celtic

Number 1 might well be another Reserve game v Celtic. I can check this later as I'm at work right now.

Just checked my collection.

There is no No. 1. The first home programme issued that season is unnumbered v Partick Thistle in the League Cup on 18th August.

No. 2 is v Celtic Reserves on 25th August.

No. 6 is v Hibernian Reserves on 11th September.

No. 9 is v Rangers Reserves on 9th October.

No. 19 is v Celtic Reserves in the quarter final of the 2nd XI Cup on 22nd January.

All the above programmes are extremely rare and will cost a fair amount from dealers or on Ebay.

Guys,

Any chance the first home programme of the season was Dryburgh Cup game v Aberdeen on 31.07.71? I have the programme which is a different size / layout from the rest of the programmes that season?

Argyll Fifer
Guys,

Any change the first home programme of the season was Dryburgh Cup game v Aberdeen on 31.07.71? I have the programme which is a different size / layout from the rest of the programmes that season?

Yes, you are correct, that was the first (also unnumbered) issue of 1971-72. An oversized publication.

KoF/ AF

thanks a lot for your help, that has certainly made more sense now.

cheers, Tom

I've had a dig in my heap of random programmes and found numbers 6 and 19.
6 has a photo on the cover featuring "Geronimo" - remember him?. This was on his debut and before Pat Quinn got him to get his hair cut!
Anyway if it helps you complete your collection I would happily give you these 2 programmes. Where would I post them to? (I live in England)

JS
6 has a photo on the cover featuring "Geronimo" - remember him?. This was on his debut and before Pat Quinn got him to get his hair cut!
Anyway if it helps you complete your collection I would happily give you these 2 programmes. Where would I post them to? (I live in England)

Geronimo aka Johnny Walker. That brings back memories, as I recall, saw him on the Friday evening with his head o hair and didn't recognise him when he took the field on Saturday afternoon.

JS

Hi JS,

thank you for your kind offer. Im in Australia but am coming back home in December, so i could get them mailed to Anstruther.

ill contact you by email to discuss.

cheers again, tom

Hey JS,
i PM'd you a couple of days ago.

did it go through?

Hi John,

have tried to reply to your email but i keep on getting "undeliverable" so thought id say thank you on here. so hopefully youll get to read this.

Thanks again.
Tom