Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Goalkeepers

In the last few seasons we have had excellent goalkeepers, Neither goalkeeper fills me with confidence this season and are making too many errors.

Re: Goalkeepers

Cr
In the last few seasons we have had excellent goalkeepers, Neither goalkeeper fills me with confidence this season and are making too many errors.

Agree.

Would love to see Ridgers back.

Why do we have a full time goalkeeping coach? Is this another of the manager's pals/family?

...... cause we have full time goalkeepers that's why! Doh!

i cant understand why michael brown was allowed to leave....

pingpong

Probably because he couldn't come out and catch a cross. Kicking was a weak point for a long time. Was a really good 3rd division keeper but if we're trying to match your Cowdungs and Raith, and we're a long way off, then we need better. Sad but true as he was decent and a top bloke.

Andrews was dropped after the first Rangers game and then Paterson was dropped after the second Rangers game.
Therefore I deduce that Andrews will be goalie until January when we go to Ibrox then Paterson will be back to number one.
Is it lose 4 goals, regardless of the opposition, and then you are out?

Don't forget the young lad Shaw as good as either the other two, just age/experience against him apparently. However if your good enough, experience can only come with games, not gonna happen at EF for a keeper. Would run him out in reserve games he did ok last season in them and was standout in the last game against Livi. All who were at that game agreed He made 6 or 7 top saves in that game. Only my opinion.

pingpong

I said the same thing earlier this season both keepers we have havent had much experience at clubs higher than ourselfs and its very worrying that they are finding it hard to keep a clean sheets at the moment, very worrying.
If the form of those two keepers continues and Shaw does very well in the reserves hopefully our own youth goalie can make a step up soon and challenge them but its very worrying we dont have a strong number one goalie for the defenders to fall back on.
In recent season this wasnt a problem as we do normally have strong goalies. But hey-ho there both still young and both got alot to learn with the right coaching like Andrew said below for the future but its still worrying, looks like the weak position in the team at the moment.

Maybe you are right but still better than what we have at present. Weakest link in the team at the mo in my opinion.

Not seen enough of Andrews to give my opinion on him or his performances but I think Paterson is a great keeper at this level and with the right coaching and a long stint playing 1st team football he could play possibly at a higher level. Remember he had a very very bad injury a couple of years ago so he probably is 2/3 years behind where he should be! I'd stick with him.

I'd rather have brown in goals than either of they two, callum antel was without a club all summer I think we should have done all we could to get him in.

Is Brown not the goalkeeper for the team who are bottom of League two and have conceded more goals than us? I'd take Paterson over Brown everyday of the week.

As for Antel, I doubt we're in a position to challenged teams like QOS for players.

Michael Brown and Queens Park parted company a few weeks ago.
Just a thought but maybe the Manager decided to play Michael Andrews yesterday to give him first team match practice with Greg Paterson having played the last few league games. Not saying it is the right decision but may have been in his thoughts.

Andrew Miller
Is Brown not the goalkeeper for the team who are bottom of League two and have conceded more goals than us? I'd take Paterson over Brown everyday of the week.

As for Antel, I doubt we're in a position to challenged teams like QOS for players.

I can't remember brown making as many mistakes in 2 seasons than these two, callum never had a club all summer then eventually qots got in touch.

Broony got slagged by QP fans for his performances this season (maybe confidence low after his treatment over close season?) & QOS fans are less than complimentary about Callum Antell. Let one through his legs v Cowdung before he got injured!
Keeper position is concerning though

Cr
Andrew Miller

I can't remember brown making as many mistakes in 2 seasons than these two, callum never had a club all summer then eventually qots got in touch.

I don't think Paterson can be blamed for letting 4 goals in against the huns. The first goal was a diversion, which usually leaves most goalies stranded, so not his fault. From what I have seen of him, he is pretty safe and I don't remember any mistakes that you are referring to?

I am in the goalkeeping union with this one. In the last two games we have lost 5 goals due to our inability to defend a high ball into the box. Surely both goalkeepers should be asking for better protection from the centre backs. Both goals on Saturday were down to not clearing our lines. We had a chance to clear the ball at both goals but poor clearances led to both goals. Against Rangers look at the way we lost 3 goals central defence flat footed with high crosses in the box. Keepers blameless in my eyes.

GK has been a position that we have struggled since big Westy left the club coaching wise.

When did big Westie leave and what for.

DG
Cr
Andrew Miller

I don't think Paterson can be blamed for letting 4 goals in against the huns. The first goal was a diversion, which usually leaves most goalies stranded, so not his fault. From what I have seen of him, he is pretty safe and I don't remember any mistakes that you are referring to?

I think the game against either Forfar or ayr at home a weak shot from out side the box bounced over him

Westy now at Stirling now dont know why he left ?
Big loss as he had hisGK Licence .

Seem to have jumped past the fact the we had a perfectly good gk coach when Witey was at the club as well! (now at Cowden!!) Also seem to recall he had 6 clean sheets in a row for us the year we won the 3rd division (at least thats what he keeps reminding me about when we r oot havin a drink!!)

Dont think the Gk coach the now has a licence, or doesnt even look to have much experience by the look of his age , apologise now if he has the licence or is older thanhe looks.

Re: Goalkeepers.

Not sure if the Coach has all his badges yet but am sure he will be working towards them, you can't fail to notice his enthusiasm for the game tho. The keepers are always worked hard and IMO we have three very good young keepers. Paterson appears to be No1 Andrews at No2 and young Shaw looks like a top keeper in the making needs games poss on loan. Yes both have made mistakes but it not all down to them.

Re: Goalkeepers.

Totally agree that keepers are getting little protection from defence! That to me is where the problem lies.

Mini
Seem to have jumped past the fact the we had a perfectly good gk coach when Witey was at the club as well! (now at Cowden!!) Also seem to recall he had 6 clean sheets in a row for us the year we won the 3rd division (at least thats what he keeps reminding me about when we r oot havin a drink!!)

B R O W N N O S E

Arthur
Mini

B R O W N N O S E

Whitey??? I`d rather have Broonie back than Whitey. Anyway, seemingly a few months back Blacky that plays for the Rangers, recommended Whitey to McCoist but Greeny said no as he had heard that Whitey had been in a Bluey when he was younger and didn`t want to tarnish the club further.

Paterson had a great game today,just watch his triple save at the end and decide. Had Joe Hart or any other top keeper done this we would be watching replays for weeks.

kd
Paterson had a great game today,just watch his triple save at the end and decide. Had Joe Hart or any other top keeper done this we would be watching replays for weeks.

Aye Paterson was excellent today, don't think he had much of a chance with the first goal

Who was that trialist keeper we had on the bench for saturday?
I take it Rooney is either away on-loan or injured i quite liked the young boy was on a decent run in the team since his hero game vs Clyde at home.
would like three keepers signed, get another centre back in and striker both on-loan short term that would do and boost our bench to seven instead of five since Honeyman and Falconer are both farmed out to the Fife leagues to gain game experience.

refresh check
Who was that trialist keeper we had on the bench for saturday?
I take it Rooney is either away on-loan or injured i quite liked the young boy was on a decent run in the team since his hero game vs Clyde at home.
would like three keepers signed, get another centre back in and striker both on-loan short term that would do and boost our bench to seven instead of five since Honeyman and Falconer are both farmed out to the Fife leagues to gain game experience.

Jordan miller he was released from hearts think he's about 18 and a local lad.