Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Latest Score

Halftime score 1-1

Buchanan scored for the Fife

Re: Latest Score

Not good enough again. Time for a change in manager. Worrying sign for me was how tired we looked in the last 15 minutes against a part time team who had played in midweek. Did nothing in the second half at all. Getting bored of watching this year after year!

You could argue that we where unlucky today. Their keeper made some very good saves. And the linesman bottled the key decision of the game. Aitchison also set up to attack and Hughes is a good player who is still short of fitness. Liam played well again and finished his goal superbly.

At the same time the subs that came on where totally ineffective. Can see why Smith was swapped for Clarke, yet I have yet to see Clarke do anything when he does get on. How he missed that chance!!!??? God knows. Fash should have been given longer as Moosavi is possibly the worst player I have ever seen at this level, he can fairly shift but that's about it. I had forgotten he was on at one point.

The shape had went out the window at the end and some of the players where dead on their feet. Johnny Stewart was subbed as usual, then u could argue he shouldn't have started. The amount of times that Stewart gives slack passes to team mates is unreal. He can't tackle either but picked up bookings for being clumsy. Ross Brown played well and put a shift covering for him, developing into a good box to box midfielder.

On paper we have a good squad of players. In reality some of them are not good enough. Aitchison constantly shouts instructions to players are the players not understanding these or are they getting confused. On another day we would have won that game. For me the manager made the changes and brought on two players who continually produce nothing and due to this we where getting hemmed in up to the point of the dodgy pen. Hard to bare but still feel that Aitchison is going to blame the players and officials.

Fash was injured, he signalled to the bench to come off. I can think of 2 saves the keeper made in the 2nd half, possibly only 2 in the whole game which isn't good enough for a home team.

The same old excuses will be said and I for one am bloody fed up hearing them. The 2nd half substitutions made no difference at all and we tired badly against a team that played during the week, despite us having a few full time players.

It isn`t working for Aitchison and the board should make the decision NOW.

Why the substitutions in his infinite wisdom then?
Clueless. We've not got the worst goal difference in 2nd bottom place and out every cup due to refereeing decisions.
Wake up friend. What's McGlynn doing now btw?

I'm sure you could argue we were unlucky today. But you could argue that every week. Facts are the performances and results are not good enough. A few weeks ago I thought he deserved to get until January. I have changed my mind.

Can't wait for the post match interview of 'we were unlucky, decisions went against us, its all went well in training...'

Fat Doug
Fash was injured, he signalled to the bench to come off. I can think of 2 saves the keeper made in the 2nd half, possibly only 2 in the whole game which isn't good enough for a home team.

One of those was very good. From Moosavi of all people. You are right it's not good enough. I await Aitchisons appraisal of that 2nd half.

Davie Clarke
Why the substitutions in his infinite wisdom then?
Clueless. We've not got the worst goal difference in 2nd bottom place and out every cup due to refereeing decisions.
Wake up friend. What's McGlynn doing now btw?

Managing Livingston.

Managerial tactics lost that for us today... Poor poor decisions .. Geeze a job that's all I am feckin saying!!

Couldn't understand the substitutions today. In the past the manager has appeared reluctant to substitute but today he changed it early when we were on top - why?

That's now 16 competitive games and we have scored first in only 2 games. The players seem to come out flat and leave themselves a mountain to climb.

On a plus side we created a lot of chances today and the formation was far better with 2 up top so would hope he doesn't revert back to one up front next week. Surely we can't lose for a 4th time to Forfar!!

The only good sign today was willie rambling instructions, clearly feeling the pressure noticed Gary naysmith keeping his distance. i think willie will get the bullet by monday.

From where I was sitting the better team won. We were getting over run in the middle of the park from start to finish. We played three in the middle of the park and they got out played all game. A stone wall penalty. bad decision from Paterson. Stranraer knew we were there for the taking and they went for it. You could argue that a draw might have been fair. We have the spine of a good team Campbell, mbu, Hughes Buchanan, stonie and durie very poor at full back, Johnnie stewart done nothing any game ive seen him. Maybe 5 decent players at this level the rest making up the numbers. I don't understand why he dropped ryan stewart and dutot. Stranraer were half decent but not great, last thing you want to do is give a team who scored 6 in there last game a goal in the first minute. There is a lot wrong how long do we wait to change things. Its easy sitting in the stand but I thought the management team would have matched up the numbers in the midfield to deny them space, but we kept with the same shape all game and allowed them the freedom of midfield. Luck is dead against us just now but you make your own luck in this game.

fan 67
From where I was sitting the better team won. We were getting over run in the middle of the park from start to finish. We played three in the middle of the park and they got out played all game. A stone wall penalty. bad decision from Paterson. Stranraer knew we were there for the taking and they went for it. You could argue that a draw might have been fair. We have the spine of a good team Campbell, mbu, Hughes Buchanan, stonie and durie very poor at full back, Johnnie stewart done nothing any game ive seen him. Maybe 5 decent players at this level the rest making up the numbers. I don't understand why he dropped ryan stewart and dutot. Stranraer were half decent but not great, last thing you want to do is give a team who scored 6 in there last game a goal in the first minute. There is a lot wrong how long do we wait to change things. Its easy sitting in the stand but I thought the management team would have matched up the numbers in the midfield to deny them space, but we kept with the same shape all game and allowed them the freedom of midfield. Luck is dead against us just now but you make your own luck in this game.

Agree with most of this. Would say that we had more of the game than u gave credit for. It was Aitchisons subs that lost us the game. Pat Clarke and Moosavi have never done a thing in any game. Didn't think that Campbell had a good game either, he struggled with all their forwards today.
Complete agree about the midfield. R Stewart is a much better option than the other one. Think that Brown and Hughes are good. Brown has the grit and legs and Hughes has a bit of quality.

Why does the manager feel he has to change half the team each week? - Why was Dutot dropped ? If he wasn't fit he shouldn't have been on bench.

Why ( with several full time players in the team ) do we look so tired after an hour or so?-especially today against a part tine team who had a game in mid week.

Why do the same players keep geting chances when they consistently fail to deliver.

Why are we so poor at set pieces ? With several full timers can we not rehearse a couple of set pieces rather than trying to blast the ball over the wall every time ?

Why , after such a good first half from Hughes .did we then proceed to miss him out and hump the balls up to our forwards- he's the best passer in this division and probably the Championship too. Would it not be more effective to use him as the focal point of our play and not as an extra defender which he seemed to be for most of the second half ?

Just some queries I had driving back from the game

You can almost always tell how a manager will do within 2 games. There are exceptions, but very few. There are many previous managers who were clearly going nowhere very quickly. They were kept on because they were 'good guys'. If a manager is going to improve a team its obvious very quickly, even in defeat. I see no hint of this at East Fife. The 'give him time' brigade should be more realistic, look back on the last few managers, and realise that valuable time is being wasted. And its not about attending games, sometimes things are much more clear from a distance.

Unlucky?
You could argue that we where unlucky today. Their keeper made some very good saves. And the linesman bottled the key decision of the game. Aitchison also set up to attack and Hughes is a good player who is still short of fitness. Liam played well again and finished his goal superbly.

At the same time the subs that came on where totally ineffective. Can see why Smith was swapped for Clarke, yet I have yet to see Clarke do anything when he does get on. How he missed that chance!!!??? God knows. Fash should have been given longer as Moosavi is possibly the worst player I have ever seen at this level, he can fairly shift but that's about it. I had forgotten he was on at one point.

The shape had went out the window at the end and some of the players where dead on their feet. Johnny Stewart was subbed as usual, then u could argue he shouldn't have started. The amount of times that Stewart gives slack passes to team mates is unreal. He can't tackle either but picked up bookings for being clumsy. Ross Brown played well and put a shift covering for him, developing into a good box to box midfielder.

On paper we have a good squad of players. In reality some of them are not good enough. Aitchison constantly shouts instructions to players are the players not understanding these or are they getting confused. On another day we would have won that game. For me the manager made the changes and brought on two players who continually produce nothing and due to this we where getting hemmed in up to the point of the dodgy pen. Hard to bare but still feel that Aitchison is going to blame the players and officials.

Ross brown is not a box to box midfielder clearly a deep lying playmaker

So I am nearly 90 ... The Moose can rip me for pace and has just aboot a better 6 PAC but I still take him for looks... But by fook he is shit! The park was graced by the presence of the 70/71 promotion winning today they must have shook their heads in disbelief when they saw attempt to play footy yesterday. Hate slagging players and I don't blame the Moose I blame the manager for signing him! Ssssssimples!... Geeze me the job!

Terry Lawrence
So I am nearly 90 ... The Moose can rip me for pace and has just aboot a better 6 PAC but I still take him for looks... But by fook he is shit! The park was graced by the presence of the 70/71 promotion winning today they must have shook their heads in disbelief when they saw attempt to play footy yesterday. Hate slagging players and I don't blame the Moose I blame the manager for signing him! Ssssssimples!... Geeze me the job!

For 45 minutes yesterday i felt a slight glimmer of hope that maybe this team just might cut it after all.
Second half changed my mind. The substitutions proved to me (and most around me for that matter) that this current manager is simply not good enough for this level of football.
In fact i think it quite cruel that you should expect someone of Atchisons experience to be a football club manager in the first place.He deserves to be put out of his misery.
Why on gods earth he continues to play someone like Moosavi who is clearly not a footballer just about sums up the predicament we are in. Team selections are simply baffling at times.
Put friendships and loyalty aside and do the right thing before its too late and we inevitably face yet another relegation battle.
All the good word being done behind the scenes is being undermined by the incompetence of the manager.

Who are the senior fulltimers in the squad? Is it Andrews, Dutot, the two Stewarts, Willis, Clarke, Tuta and Buchanan?

That should give us a huge advantage over most clubs in this league surely?

I say Craig leavein will be the new east fife manger or billy reid soon

Urban Zombie
For 45 minutes yesterday i felt a slight glimmer of hope that maybe this team just might cut it after all.
Second half changed my mind. The substitutions proved to me (and most around me for that matter) that this current manager is simply not good enough for this level of football.
In fact i think it quite cruel that you should expect someone of Atchisons experience to be a football club manager in the first place.He deserves to be put out of his misery.
Why on gods earth he continues to play someone like Moosavi who is clearly not a footballer just about sums up the predicament we are in. Team selections are simply baffling at times.
Put friendships and loyalty aside and do the right thing before its too late and we inevitably face yet another relegation battle.
All the good word being done behind the scenes is being undermined by the incompetence of the manager.

Well said UZ, I have given the manager the benefit of the doubt from the start, if we do not change something now we are heading for Div 2.
Fact 1,Worst start to a season for a long time 13 games, 11 points -17 goals.
Fact 2,2nd bottom of the league and out of 3 cups.
Fact 3,The only reason we are in touching distance is the other teams above us are just as bad as us(and we should be beating them).
Fact 4,None of the people running the team from the Director of Football down have any senior experience, Manager, coach, goalkeeping coach, Wullies laddie. That is not good enough for a team of our stature.
Fact 4, Don't blame a 50+ year old youth coach for taking the job, blame the Director of Football Brian McNeill for being daft enough to offer him the job above some good candidates who must have been about at the time. Other than friendship why did he standout above others?? Why did no-one in the last 50+ years think he had what it took to be a senior manager?? We all agree last season was bad this will be even worse unless something is done, if this was done because it was a cheap option it is not working.

Terry Lawrence

Punting abuse towards Cyrus seems to be a tad harsh, the boy injects a wee bit of flare into the games when were lacking it and puts in a decent shift. With fash signalling he was injured and pat Clarke already coming on who would people have preferred to come on in the forward role? The fact he came on and created and almost scored a goal surely enough for folk to stay off his back. His game last week as well was arguably his best in a fife shirt.
He seems to have forced himself into the team along with fash, Clarke and young Lewis Barr due to their simply brilliant performances in the reserve matches. The manager will be influenced by how these young guys along with Ross lennie are bossing games in positions we desperately need to do with the first team.

Scott Young you really are joking about cyrus.I was at the game last week and if that was his best game he cannot be very good.Yesterday he should not have been on the pitch.Its just not running with the ball its what you do with it.For example hit the target,find a man with your pass and even where you go when you dont have the ball.I am surprised the manager did not pick up on this but he should have if he had played as a trialist.

The biggest mistake yesterday was when we took of smith, we should have brought on Dutot, and moved stonie into midfield. Because that is where the problem was in the middle we were out numbered operating a 3 man midfield.

Topper what about jack smith then if your going down that route. He has two one on ones and one goalie scramble. He emerged goalless. Don't see him being slated. Our problem is luck. Everything about the club is going upwards apart from our luck, so we just have to take our chances and make our own luck. Everyone needs to stop the negativity and get behind them. Negativity gets us nowhere.

Scott Young
Topper what about jack smith then if your going down that route. He has two one on ones and one goalie scramble. He emerged goalless. Don't see him being slated. Our problem is luck. Everything about the club is going upwards apart from our luck, so we just have to take our chances and make our own luck. Everyone needs to stop the negativity and get behind them. Negativity gets us nowhere.

We didn't have to wait long for confirmation that you know nothing about football. "Our problem is luck". If this is the best excuse you can come up with for over three months of failure, you are struggling Sir. Football is not a game of luck.

Scott Young

We need to get real as well. Moosavi wouldn't get a game in the Juniors never mind at this level. He's being hung out to dry by the manager and has become a comedy figure. I've supported EF for 22 years and there's a good chance he's in my top 3 worst players I've ever seen play for us. I feel really sorry for him tho.

Andy Townsend get down off your high horse

Scott Young
Andy Townsend get down off your high horse

Scott, I am delighted there are positive blokes like you around. But we need substance mate. The feking shame is when we had a board room which was v bad we had stevie Archibald now we have some folk who want to develop and yet we get willie. As for the moose, I bet he would run up largo law as many times as we asked him and he may bleed black and gold, but he ain't a senior player end of. Give us some substance.

Re Moosavi I agree with Doug. We all know Moosavi is out of his depth at this level, but he goes on and puts a shift in. He's getting absolute pelters on social media, but ultimately the decision to play him is Aitchison's. The blame lies with the manager.
After being in dire need of a striker, we now have more than we know what to do with (Liam, Tuta, Clarke, Fash, Nade??), yet we have little cover in the wide areas. Any news on a return from Willis?

Fash getting that knock was unfortunate, especially right at the back of the Smith sub. However we had Ryan Stewart available who I think has done well recently. Or even Dutot, and move Durie further forward.

Scott Young

Scott, I agree that we haven`t had much luck but I will also say that we have had an element of luck in our 3 wins this season.

I would love Aitchison to be a successful manager at East Fife but I doubt the board can afford to give him a lot more time. Results have to improve now. Our current position
and cup record this season is a disgrace.