Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New manager thread

The "willie Atchison" thread has got tributes, reflections and new manager posts all under the one topic, so in the spirit of being neat and tidy I thought I'd start a new thread for the new manager chatter.

Whodayawant?

Re: New manager thread

Gordon Durie? still has unfinished business or maybe Walter Smith

With apologies for starting in the negative, but first let's rule out Paul Flowers, those Moaist slave suspects and Craig Levein.

Actually I could probably cope with it being Paul Flowers or the slave folk.

An experienced manager who knows the lower leagues would be ideal, I hope the board don't go for a big name who has no experience just to get fans to think we can win the league. I'd like to see dick Campbell as my preferred choices wouldn't be interested however wouldn't it be interesting to c if managers like Peter Houston jimmy calderwood Craig leven applied as they want big in a job they are fairly local and nobody in England want them but I know that's no chance in happening

Whoever comes in needs to be able to bring in their own back room staff and 4 players of their own choosing in January.

If Gary Naismith was keen for the job, he'd be worth a shout (assuming he could get a strong back room for support and guidance). Same for davie weir and Christian daily.... Although I can't see either of those guys willing to relocate.

Someone who is presently a player in the SPL may want to step down and take up a player manger role. Calum Davidson, Steven Thompson spring to mind. Craig Gordon perhaps..

Then we have the experienced managers who are without a club.... Let's call the them the 2nd chance club. Calderwood, Levein, Houston, Moore, fenlon, bollan, Robertson, shiels, macpherson, etc.... This hasn't really worked in the past as candidates from this group don't really want to be at east fife .... And it shows.

The next group are the successful at a lower level group. The junior managers. But this group doesn't intrigue me since the other groups have richer pickings at the moment.

For me we should go down the Alloa, Dumbarton and Cowden route and get an ambitious young manager......with the back room staff to support them.

Or Stevie Hislop.

Gary Naysmith for the inexperienced choice or continued assistant role. Alternatively Billy Reid?

Bring back Div Muir!

Would be happy with Naysmith.

John Hughes
Billy Reid?
Naysmith on Caretaker manager for a bit

Graeme Robertson ..ex pars,livi and stenny head of youth, along with Paul Hegarty. Would avoid relegation AND sort out the youth development .

Leven
Would be happy with Naysmith.

Me too.

Is he the most capped player ever to play for east fife?

I guess most of dwarika's caps came after his east fife days.

KotS
With apologies for starting in the negative, but first let's rule out Paul Flowers, those Moaist slave suspects and Craig Levein.

Actually I could probably cope with it being Paul Flowers or the slave folk.

It seems the club will most likely take its time assembling a Steven Tweed / Jimmy Nicholl dream team.

I like lists

Former Managers
Stevie Kirk
Davie Clarke
Stevie Crawford
Gordon Chisholm - might fancy giving it a go this time
Stevie Archibald - Please Santa, we have been good this year

Have we ever had a foreign manager?
Arnold Dwarika
Robert Prytz
Collin Samuel
Csaba Laszlo

Some others
Barry Smith (Former Dundee manager and now youth coach at Ross County)
Lee Makel (Staying at Cowden?)
Paddy Connelly (remember him? No.2 to Paul Hartley at Alloa)
Paul Sturrock
Wullie Broon

No East Fife speculation should be without a Kevin Byers!

Naysmith with jimmy nichol as assistant

Colin Cameron , with Naismith as assistant ,

Naysmith & Nichol, now there is a good shout

The new management team has to bring extra fans through the gate to keep the revolution rolling .....so im going for david weir with naysmith player/assistant

Bring back Baikie

If you don't ask, you don't get....

The two gods: Steve Archibald and Wullie Broon

Read in today's courier that Paul Hegarty is assisting Gary Naysmith in the interim.

There have been 20 applicants for the position.

That is the perfect combination for our management team. Lets hope the board have some decent vision and get them signed up on a contract. Paul Hegarty would bring a wealth of experience. He would sort out our defence and stop us shipping poor goals. There would be no slackers under his watch a top notch professional. Paul Hegarty is the perfect man for a rookie to learn from. I really hope this is our new management team as the only way is up.

Naysmith must not be given the job. We've tried former players as managers who are very inexperienced (Crawford and Durie). We've also tried Willie A who was inexperienced. None which have worked.

Experience is key.

I say give the Naysmith and Hegarty combo a chance on an interim basis for a couple of games and see how it goes

give it a chance
I say give the Naysmith and Hegarty combo a chance on an interim basis for a couple of games and see how it goes

Here we go wi the havering again! "a couple of games" Deary me GIAC.

No thanks to give them a couple of games, and do what, throw away another 6 points. The board will surely know that a proper manager is needed now, a name we all know, who can take us up the table. Only one team, to my eyes, has been better than us this season, so with the proper use of our players we can easily climb out of trouble.

Let us be honest, it will take more than a couple of games to sort out the shambles that has been going on for the last while. I think Naysmith and Hegarty have had great careers and would command instant respect in the dressing room. No player in the dressing room can question their playing cv. The pro youths would have a couple of great players to learn the trade from.

Why not give all candidates 15 minutes of game, and then the fans can vote a la x-factor style?

Noisy Crossbar
Why not give all candidates 15 minutes of game, and then the fans can vote a la x-factor style?

It was bad enough when you became a twitter fanatic without wanting x-factor as well. Next, you'll be wanting the pie-stall selling bush-tucker and ballroom dancing on ice-skates at half-time.

KotS
Noisy Crossbar

It was bad enough when you became a twitter fanatic without wanting x-factor as well. Next, you'll be wanting the pie-stall selling bush-tucker and ballroom dancing on ice-skates at half-time.

Now there's an idea!