Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
AFTN

If there was no East Fife Forum (AFTN) in place, do you think this would have a positive effect or a negative one on the club?

IMO, I strongly believe it would be beneficial for club not to have this in place. It seems to me that this website is mainly for slating the players and the management staff. This in itself irritates me a lot. We are not a big club and we never will be. We have to support our local lads and continue the EF tradition of being a family club. Because at the moment, most of our ex players did not have a fond time playing for us, due to the fact that we added far to much unnecessary pressure on them!

It would be nice to know what you guys think?

Adam

Re: AFTN

Long time reader, first time poster?

It would probably make little difference either way because if we didn't exist then another site would pop up. And there are already other sites out there for people who don't like this one or for people who want to have a registered user forum.

Whilst I fully understand some people hating the content on the forum, no-one forces anyone to come on here and read stuff. If people really hate us that much then stay away and then you don't know what's being said. Seems simple to me.

Really don't get people that come on here (hello Martin) and just moan about how bad it is. You know what it's like, so stay away.

I think a lot of people seem to forget that there are other aspects to AFTN than the forum. There's the main article/features based site (the revamp of which is still semi underway, just not finding time to get it finished), a blog and more.

It's all moot anyway as we're not going anywhere. 25 year anniversary next year in fact

I think it's a pity that at times the negative people shout louder than the positive people, and of course poor performances, results, perverted directors, non-transparent ownership etc etc all help facilitate this situation.

However, this can't be the fault or the sole domain of AFTN. It's a society thing surely? Did you see many good news stories in today's Daily Record or can you find a website forum anywhere where it's all rosy-in-the-garden stuff? Have you switched on the TV? Jeremy Kyle ffs. So-called celebs allegedly taking drugs and committing sexual crimes.

That's not down to AFTN.

I would urge more positive people to reclaim AFTN if they can. One thing I've been thinking we should do more on in fairness, is to stop people from accusing posters of being 'Jocky' every time they post something optimistic or positive as this seems to me to seek to isolate and discredit these posts and posters. Interested to hear what the other mods think on this one.

I think when AFTN truly does become the Club's biggest problem we can all go out and celebrate. I can think of few times in the last 24 years when the Club didn't have something more significant to sort out and I wonder whether these things would ever have been sorted out without, amongst other things, the humble contribution of AFTN's posts and posters? Should we have shut down AFTN then in case it damaged the reputation of Julian Danskin or contributed to the downfall of Derrick Brown?

This Club has been damaged far more off the park by certain Directors/owners and on it by under-achieving, hypochondriac, charlatan players than it has by anything happening here in my view. Of course I'm not tarring the many good, honest and hard-working players and directors with the same brush as the above-mentioned who are the minority but nevertheless do so much damage.

In any case, God forbid we move to a world where gagging anyone who doesn't toe the party line is the way forward. I think this has been tried on rather grander scales than this wee website and look what happened there.

Most importantly for me though is to remember that AFTN's forum doesn't come with the posts already supplied. It's pretty much blank until YOU post stuff.

Hopefully we are in a new and positive era for the Club. Time will tell though as we've had false dawns before. For now though I'm cautiously optimistic and hopefully if things go well, the posts on here and elsewhere will become more positive, optimistic and maybe even celebratory! Fingers crossed.

Whatever happens though, as GoF says, we'll be here.

AFTN - not just here when there's a revolution on.

KotS
I think it's a pity that at times the negative people shout louder than the positive people, and of course poor performances, results, perverted directors, non-transparent ownership etc etc all help facilitate this situation.

However, this can't be the fault or the sole domain of AFTN. It's a society thing surely? Did you see many good news stories in today's Daily Record or can you find a website forum anywhere where it's all rosy-in-the-garden stuff? Have you switched on the TV? Jeremy Kyle ffs. So-called celebs allegedly taking drugs and committing sexual crimes.

That's not down to AFTN.

I would urge more positive people to reclaim AFTN if they can. One thing I've been thinking we should do more on in fairness, is to stop people from accusing posters of being 'Jocky' every time they post something optimistic or positive as this seems to me to seek to isolate and discredit these posts and posters. Interested to hear what the other mods think on this one.

I think when AFTN truly does become the Club's biggest problem we can all go out and celebrate. I can think of few times in the last 24 years when the Club didn't have something more significant to sort out and I wonder whether these things would ever have been sorted out without, amongst other things, the humble contribution of AFTN's posts and posters? Should we have shut down AFTN then in case it damaged the reputation of Julian Danskin or contributed to the downfall of Derrick Brown?

This Club has been damaged far more off the park by certain Directors/owners and on it by under-achieving, hypochondriac, charlatan players than it has by anything happening here in my view. Of course I'm not tarring the many good, honest and hard-working players and directors with the same brush as the above-mentioned who are the minority but nevertheless do so much damage.

In any case, God forbid we move to a world where gagging anyone who doesn't toe the party line is the way forward. I think this has been tried on rather grander scales than this wee website and look what happened there.

Most importantly for me though is to remember that AFTN's forum doesn't come with the posts already supplied. It's pretty much blank until YOU post stuff.

Hopefully we are in a new and positive era for the Club. Time will tell though as we've had false dawns before. For now though I'm cautiously optimistic and hopefully if things go well, the posts on here and elsewhere will become more positive, optimistic and maybe even celebratory! Fingers crossed.

Hear, hear - a truly excellent post!

I. Wonder
KotS

That's not down to AFTN.

Hear, hear - a truly excellent post!

I will never foresake AFTN. Lots of crap and lots of good sense. You decide which is which.
First read of the day for me!
GOF and moderators I thank you.

I like AFTN. Always come here 1st for news on East Fife FC. It's a forum where you will always have trolls who don't even support EF! If ppl don't like the negativity I would suggest they stay off a public forum.

Keep up the good work Gof.

Adam
If there was no East Fife Forum (AFTN) in place, do you think this would have a positive effect or a negative one on the club?

IMO, I strongly believe it would be beneficial for club not to have this in place. It seems to me that this website is mainly for slating the players and the management staff. This in itself irritates me a lot. We are not a big club and we never will be. We have to support our local lads and continue the EF tradition of being a family club. Because at the moment, most of our ex players did not have a fond time playing for us, due to the fact that we added far to much unnecessary pressure on them!

It would be nice to know what you guys think?

Adam

I think you'll find more ex-players loved playing for East Fife than the other way round. If the 70-71 promotion winning squad didn't do you think they would have turned up en masse the other week to celebrate their achievement?

Not sure where you get this tradition of us being a family club from. Yes in recent years efforts have been put in place to attract a wider clientle and quite right too but if you were brought watching on the terraces at old Bayview then families were conspicuous by their absence. Loads of young lads like me in the early 70's but other than that it was shouty auld blokes all the way.

And if some of the more recent players can't hack the pressure of playing in the third tier of Scottish fitba then they really need to toughen up a bit. The club is aiming to be second tier regulars, a not unrealistic ambition given some of the outfits plying their trade there right now.

Anyway for me AFTN has little or no bearing on how the team performs on the pitch. I despite rags like the Scum and the Daily Wail and keep away from reading the bile they spew, so if you think AFTN also spews bile then don't read it.

Simples really.

I've spoken to a couple of ex-players and said to them it would be good to have you back , they in return said aye ! nae chance ! nothing to do with AFTN trust me . Also ,to be fair some ex-players i have spoken to would have loved to have come back, again nothing to do with AFTN

'We are not a big club and we never will be.'

But we were well in the top third of clubs who had the potential to stay amongst the names of 'bigger' clubs. Falkirk or Morton would never be thought of in the same light as Albion Rovers or Arbroath. We are. Its been hard for a lot of folk in the area to watch this potential evaporate since the 70s and before. I think thats a lot to do with why discontent comes forward so easily. AFTN reflects a lot of this and i think its an opportunity for folk who were never heard before to put across some feelings. Its a long road back but i hope the major changes at board level can be the start of something. Bad start, but a quick learning curve might not be a bad thing.

Neolithic Man.

But we were well in the top third of clubs who had the potential to stay amongst the names of 'bigger' clubs. Falkirk or Morton would never be thought of in the same light as Albion Rovers or Arbroath. We are. Its been hard for a lot of folk in the area to watch this potential evaporate since the 70s and before. I think thats a lot to do with why discontent comes forward so easily. AFTN reflects a lot of this and i think its an opportunity for folk who were never heard before to put across some feelings. Its a long road back but i hope the major changes at board level can be the start of something. Bad start, but a quick learning curve might not be a bad thing.

Very true. That is a good post. I agree with everything said and like Neolithic Man I believe this could be the start of something, at long last.

and the forum is one of the best things that has happened to the club in the last 15 years or whatever it is. long live AFTN

Neolithic Man.

Excellent post, just about sums up my thoughts entirely.

DPH
I like AFTN. Always come here 1st for news on East Fife FC. It's a forum where you will always have trolls who don't even support EF! If ppl don't like the negativity I would suggest they stay off a public forum.

Keep up the good work Gof.

The same applies to those posting negatively. If they can't stand the positive posts challenging their negativity, then I suggest they also, should stay off a public forum!

Very fair point and I should have said that as well.

My biggest gripe with this place is that people don't respect other people's opinions but it's the same on every other message board I read and just mirrors people these days really.

And I'm guilty of it too at times. Most of us are to various extremes.

All for argument and disagreement though, but we need to find the line where it crosses into too personal and yup, we as mods, should do something about it when it does.

We have taken down more such posts this year though than before.

GoF
Very fair point and I should have said that as well.

My biggest gripe with this place is that people don't respect other people's opinions but it's the same on every other message board I read and just mirrors people these days really.

And I'm guilty of it too at times. Most of us are to various extremes.

All for argument and disagreement though, but we need to find the line where it crosses into too personal and yup, we as mods, should do something about it when it does.

We have taken down more such posts this year though than before.

GOF. That's interesting about the posts being taken down.
Is it a very small minority of posters or have you found that there is a general trend of disrespect throughout the AFTN readership?

Small minority and a lot of it from certain people who are no longer around! Also certain other team's supporters. Not really a drastic amount but some of the stuff just got tiresome.

You're always going to get people calling people fuds etc. Only really when it goes way beyond do I feel need to take down stuff occasionally.