Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New player...

From the Dundee website:

Defender James Thomson has joined East Fife. He has captained Gavin Rae's Dundee Reserves this season. James made his debut for Dundee in the final home game of last season's SPL campaign.

Re: New player...

That's a strange one. Another player in when we're still without a permanent manager, a centre half at that. Would've liked to see full backs and wingers added to the squad, but do we now have Mbu, Thom, Campbell, Dutot and Thomson in this position?

It's a loan deal apparently. If the boy's brilliant then we can't complain but it'll be a little disappointing if we're heading back down the route of blooding other club's youth players for them instead of our own.

Heard that Mbu is injured and will be out for several weeks and presumably Thom is suspended.
Campbell also came off injured v Cowdenbeath.

Read on p and b the guy also plays at right back.

Cant understand why East Fife seem to want to take young u 20 players on loan from other clubs and help develop them when the director of football is very proud of his youth academy so why are east fifes own boys not getting used
is the answer there not good enough. To me thats what it looks like but if they have never had chance how can they prove thereselves.
Very off putting for future players to join our academy maybe the board can answer this
also another signing for a caretaker manager which is strange. Board no more than there telling fans i guess so nothing new there.

At start of season I'm sure I was told we were merging youth academy into east fife fc. We cannot expect this to be working in full swing already .... Can we ??? Honestly ???
Consider hibs youth academy in full swing produces top Scottish players . But only 3 or 4 will get a first team debut this season ...

Maybe its our setup. When i was growing up, Young Fifers were a laughing stock at all age groups.

Gary Fisher also signed on loan from Killie on short term. According to Chairman's twitter.

Ripple
Gary Fisher also signed on loan from Killie on short term. According to Chairman's twitter.

Looks like we are building a new team, hopefully these loan signings work out.

Yep signed on loan and will require game time to be played without ? Meaning Brown or Barr will most likely drop down, both have started well and have made telling contributions pity any EF player will have to make way to benefit another club.

Amazing this forum! You get people whinging about us not winning games and changes need to be made. So changes are being made then other, maybe the same people, start whinging because some players may (and only may), have to make way to implement the changes asked for!

Other posts say that we should take time in getting the right manager, then we get whinging about only having a caretaker manager!

Is it possible for the club to do anything right?

No haha

Thing is you only need one cunt to moan out of a hunder and its always the moanin faced cunt that you hear.

What east fife fc need is the other 99 folk to stand up for the club

You cant please all of the people all of the time. The folk at the helm of the club need to have a strong vision of where they want to be and how to get there.

To be fair aside from the premature promotion of Willie Aitchision (which only proved a mistake with he benefit of hindsight) that vision does seem to be in place for the first time in living memory.

The loan players are likely to have been brought in on the recommendations of Gary Naismith and Paul Hegarty, who both played at the highest level. Being loanees means if a new management come in they can be returned. Take the point about loanees pushing signed players out and we have been here before but I;d be surprised if the likes of Brown disappear off the scene as a result.

All that would suggest to me that GN is the front runner for the job in a permanent basis, results permitting.

The long-term vision for the club remains unaltered, getting in a couple of loan signings is nothing more than a reflection of our league position and the pressing need to start winning games quickly.

Hi there!
Question about Derek Holmes: Has he signed a contract or has he played as trialist vs. Forfar? Thanks!

Derek isn't available till January. He isn't with us.

Source: Lee Murray

Think after today's result you can see why we brought in these particular loan signings?

To strengthen the team, make us harder to beat and fight for 90 minutes +

We will continue to look at every available player out there if we feel they can make us better, people will see after today that we don't want to push our young boys out but we are not going to settle for 'no bad' we want and EF deserve total commitment and I won't rest rest until we have that every day never mind every other Saturday!

Just like to say great result today this is the start of the future for EF thanks to all the staff, players and You guys!

#monthefife

Well said lee! Keep up the good work and well done!

Lee Murray
Think after today's result you can see why we brought in these particular loan signings?

We will continue to look at every available player out there if we feel they can make us better, people will see after today that we don't want to push our young boys out but we are not going to settle for 'no bad' we want and EF deserve total commitment and I won't rest rest until we have that every day never mind every other Saturday!

Just like to say great result today this is the start of the future for EF thanks to all the staff, players and You guys!

#monthefife

In Lee we Trust !!

Well said Lee Murray.

Thanks Lee for all you are doing for EFFC.

For the first time in years I feel that we are really moving forward to achieve our potential.

Really appreciated.

Jim Moffat Jr
Lee Murray

#monthefife

In Lee we Trust !!

Man Lee that is so refreshing.. Great stuff... Off to the booler noo to have a swift one or two to drink to the future... ps can we get Gary F for a wee bit longer than 5 weeks... The boy is class... He reminds me of me a wee bit when I graced ma skills way back in the glory days. Ps ps can we please have Gary N and Paul H as the management team too... That's the future!!

Lee Murray

#monthefife

great stuff Lee

Great enthusiasm vented from Gary Paul & Dougie on the bench which spread right across the park. Everyone played their part,the new players brought in seemed to lift our spirits..
Also it seemed we were up against 13 men today, referee & stand side linesman were just a bloody joke .. Was so impressed with team fighting spirit I purchased half season ticket for me n dynamite lol

Michelle Fifer
That's a strange one. Another player in when we're still without a permanent manager

Think you will find that as soon as Gary said he wanted the job then he had it. The club have to be seen to be looking for managers but lets not kid ourselves he will get it he is currently being paid by the club and do you think Gary would stay if he never got the job after publicly saying he wants it? Why would a club sign loan players when they didn't know who was going to be manager? Is it Lee's or the boards decision who we sign doubt it. Don't like Paul but I think Gary could be a top coach given time. Hopefully the club announce Gary's appointment sooner rather than later as some fans are not fools

It is a breath of fresh air to see all this enthusiasm. We are about to turn the corner at last.

Can I offer a few words of haud-the-horses? Gary has lifted everyone's spirits after only one game. With his experience in football, he might just be the man for us. I like his post-match interview. But it did not take much to improve on what had gone before. Getting a better performance out of the payers and out of the team was never going to require the work of a genius. Many of the 20 candidates who have applied for the job could have done what Gary did yesterday. Let the board get on with assessing the applications before we install Gary as the next manager. If Gary doesn't get the job and we lose him it would be unfortunate but not the end of the world. He is not a cornerstone of the team.

fan
It is a breath of fresh air to see all this enthusiasm. We are about to turn the corner at last.

Can I offer a few words of haud-the-horses? Gary has lifted everyone's spirits after only one game. With his experience in football, he might just be the man for us. I like his post-match interview. But it did not take much to improve on what had gone before. Getting a better performance out of the payers and out of the team was never going to require the work of a genius. Many of the 20 candidates who have applied for the job could have done what Gary did yesterday. Let the board get on with assessing the applications before we install Gary as the next manager. If Gary doesn't get the job and we lose him it would be unfortunate but not the end of the world. He is not a cornerstone of the team.

So who are the other candidates, that could have done what Gary did then? Would they have signed Fisher and Thomson as well for example, or what? I think your statement is a bit flawed, other than saying it is only one game.

If Gary is getting a say about signings then why doesn't the club just come out and announce he is the new manager? Other mangers that 'might' be in line for the job might not want these players, just announce it Lee!

At the start of the season the new board,with the best of intentions, made several statements about players before contracts were signed,sealed and delivered. The previous board took on Collin Samuel and allegedly the situation with him was not so much about could he play but more about should he be in the country.
As far as I know the board will produce or have produced a shortlist and will select the new manager very soon. Not to consider each candidate very carefully and then have the i's and t's dotted and crossed before even hinting at who the new manager is would be crazy.
It would also be nice to have the new manager announced simultaneously on the official website and official social media channels rather than from someone who happened to be delivering to Bayview post it first on AFTN.

So are you saying that the board signed Gary Fisher without the caretaker manager knowing?? If you honestly believe there will be interviews for the job you are deluded. There will be one Gary! A new manager would want his own players so the timing of the loan signing proves to me that Gary has got the job, which I don't have a problem with I would be very wary of his assistant!

Let's just move on announce Gary as manager then there's no doubt we can move on as a team.

Mon the fife

Appointing any manager is a gamble.I thought Billy Brown was a good appointment!!!.You can't judge Gary Naysmith on 1 game.He does deserve credit for bringing in the experience of Paul Hegarty and for realising we needed to improve the squad after the dismal Cowden performance.Don't see any harm in waiting a few weeks though I think it's Gary Naysmith' s to lose.

GN is probably in pole position and I would be quite happy to have him as manager. However if the board decides that it is not even worth hearing what any of 15-20 applicants has to offer the standard must be low.
Given our past history of managerial choices surely we need to know what others could bring to the club.

I. Wonder
fan

So who are the other candidates, that could have done what Gary did then? Would they have signed Fisher and Thomson as well for example, or what? I think your statement is a bit flawed, other than saying it is only one game.

There are 20 applicants, we are told. I don't know who they are, but I would be surprised if they are 20 Willie Aitchisons. There will be other good candidates. For a start, Gary has no managerial experience. I am sure there will be applications for the job from candidates who have strong experience.

Your point about Fisher and Thomson doesn't make sense. There are scores of players out there who could have been brought in yesterday and improved us as a team. Fisher and Thomson are not the only players in Scotland who could have brought us a 1-0 win. Who knows, some of those players might have been better than Fisher and Thomson. Just like your view of Naysmith himself, you don't seem to be able to see past the first person who turns up and does something positive. Get the blinkers off. There is a whole field of candidates out there, let's have a look at them before committing to someone, hopefully beyond the short term. If it is Gary, we'll be right behind him and I think we'll do well with him in charge. But just because he was already here when the job became available doesn't mean he has to get it.

My point is we have signed a couple of players on loan now is it the board that make the signings and the manager has to deal with it? If so that would have been unfair on Wullie as you would want your own players in. I doubt this is the case! So in turn the players we have brought in must have had to do with Gary. I don't know any board that let's a caretaker manger sign players unless he is going to get the job.

I will be dumbfounded if Gary doesn't get the job.

Think Gary will be announced as manager tomorrow morning.

Gary certainly got a good reaction from the players yesterday. He spoke very well in his post match interview. It was not rocket science to identify that fresh faces were needed to make us more competitive. We were a soft touch and losing easy goals week after week. The first thing any new man would have to do is make us harder to beat, and I think the new management team identified that. We defended well as a team and all the players worked their socks of for each other. The new lad fisher brought a bit of quality that we were sadly lacking. It was no surprise that him and liam struck up a good understanding as they have that bit of quality that can open up defences. We started the game slowly but grew into the game, and the goal gave us something to battle for. I thought before yesterday that naysmith and hegarty was the perfect fit, and i have seen nothing to make me think anything else. These new lads will see us through to the transfer window in January. Anyone who has seen East Fife this season will know that major surgery will be required in the transfer window, I would imagine a few will be leaving as well.

fan
I. Wonder
fan

There are 20 applicants, we are told. I don't know who they are, but I would be surprised if they are 20 Willie Aitchisons. There will be other good candidates. For a start, Gary has no managerial experience. I am sure there will be applications for the job from candidates who have strong experience.

Your point about Fisher and Thomson doesn't make sense. There are scores of players out there who could have been brought in yesterday and improved us as a team. Fisher and Thomson are not the only players in Scotland who could have brought us a 1-0 win. Who knows, some of those players might have been better than Fisher and Thomson. Just like your view of Naysmith himself, you don't seem to be able to see past the first person who turns up and does something positive. Get the blinkers off. There is a whole field of candidates out there, let's have a look at them before committing to someone, hopefully beyond the short term. If it is Gary, we'll be right behind him and I think we'll do well with him in charge. But just because he was already here when the job became available doesn't mean he has to get it.

I can't be bothered to find out on Google, but I would guess that most "rookie" managers usually start their careers at the club they are already playing for. So, Gary is putting himself forward for the job at the club he is presently playing for and it looks like he is being given a short bit of time to look after the team, before the board make a decision one way or the other, and why not?
All we can say so far, he is the only manager we have ever had, who has a 100% win record (I think??)!! For all we know, he could be the next Alex Ferguson, he has to start somewhere, and if he impresses the board enough, then why not him? He certainly comes across as being a committed and professional guy, with a level-headed personality.

Gaffer
So are you saying that the board signed Gary Fisher without the caretaker manager knowing?? If you honestly believe there will be interviews for the job you are deluded. There will be one Gary! A new manager would want his own players so the timing of the loan signing proves to me that Gary has got the job, which I don't have a problem with I would be very wary of his assistant!

I think we'll go with Gary Naysmith's assessment of Paul Hegarty over your own, but thanks anyway.

fan 67
These new lads will see us through to the transfer window in January. Anyone who has seen East Fife this season will know that major surgery will be required in the transfer window, I would imagine a few will be leaving as well.

I wish you, and guys like you, could get it into your heads that for the vast majority of clubs in Scotland the transfer window is meaningless. Almost every club has no money to either buy players or release them by paying off their contracts.

I thought that some of the players signed by the previous manager were only signed until january?.

Seemingly that is how we struggled to get our signing targets at the start of the season. We were not comiting to season long deals so the players we wanted went else where. I am of the believe that some players only got short term deals. That should give the new manager freed up cash to wheel and deal in January. Possibly only be loan deals but sometimes decent players become available.

Lee Murray

#monthefife

The wheels on the bus go round and round until they fall off again

Pringle
Gaffer

I think we'll go with Gary Naysmith's assessment of Paul Hegarty over your own, but thanks anyway.

That's fine Pringle, just ask some of the young players what they think of him at the end of the season. Knowing it first hand he is a bully, but thats just my opinion. We will see how many young players come through under him.

a bully....or someone that demands high standards

Gaffer
Pringle
Gaffer

That's fine Pringle, just ask some of the young players what they think of him at the end of the season. Knowing it first hand he is a bully, but thats just my opinion. We will see how many young players come through under him.

Gary Naysmith speaks very highly of how Hegarty helped him develop as a player and he went on to do pretty well did he not?

A fair few of these players have let down manager after manager at the club, if any of them have a problem then maybe it's about time they looked a bit closer to home to address their failures. If they apply themselves and do what they are instructed then I'm sure they'll have no problem with PH.

Gaffer
Pringle
Gaffer

If you ask just about any player, including international players, that played for Alex Ferguson, a lot of them would say the same about him! Did that make him a bad coach?

The same could be said of Jim Maclean of Dundee Utd, and Brian Clough of course.

Gaffer
Pringle
Gaffer

Quite a stupid comment. Naysmith has said that Hegarty was a huge influence on him as a kid and without him he wouldn't have reached the heights he did, namely almost 50 caps for Scotland plus playing in the English Premiership.

fan 67
Seemingly that is how we struggled to get our signing targets at the start of the season. We were not comiting to season long deals so the players we wanted went else where. I am of the believe that some players only got short term deals. That should give the new manager freed up cash to wheel and deal in January. Possibly only be loan deals but sometimes decent players become available.

But if it's loan deals you're after, why wait until January? Why not do it when the new manager is appointed? Why wait until January?