Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Stephen hughes

We must try and keep him at the club, he was by far the best player on the park today, thought we could have nicked a goal but we certainly were not shown up , best ive seen them this season

Re: Stephen hughes

Agree totally but he wants full time and still has more to offer at a higher level. Hope I'm wrong but can see him away this window

If we can make Johnny Stewart or Paul Willis full time what would be stopping us doing the same with Hughes?

Thor
If we can make Johnny Stewart or Paul Willis full time what would be stopping us doing the same with Hughes?

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!

Thor
Wages? You pay for what you get...

DPH
Thor

We've just got rid of three full timers, Andrews, Dutot and Tuta. The three of them barely ever played, either we replace them with three other bit part players or make Hughes - a player we know makes a massive difference to our team an offer. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like good sense to me.

Willis lol

Thor
DPH
Thor

We've just got rid of three full timers, Andrews, Dutot and Tuta. The three of them barely ever played, either we replace them with three other bit part players or make Hughes - a player we know makes a massive difference to our team an offer. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like good sense to me.

Naysmith said in the post match interview that Hughes has been made an offer that is really good for a club like ours. I think he is resigned to losing him mind.

How many first team players do we now have who are full time. Realistically, for someone like Stephen Hughes, how worthwhile will being full time at Bayview be to him and the team if most are the youth players. His fitness may improve but it's not as if team shaping, tactics or developing an understanding with team mates can be achieved. These will still have to be done on a part-time basis when the first team squad are together.
I would love Hughes to stick around at Bayview at least until the end of the season as we are a far better side with him in our starting 11. Not only is he influential on our performances during games but I'm sure younger players like Ross Brown and Lewis Barr will be learning all the time from working with him. Any chance of giving him a Coaching role as well as playing, which may entice him to stay. Seeing how Gary Naysmith has landed his first managerial post may help keep Hughes if he is interested in getting into that side of the game in the next few years.

norrie
Willis lol

norrie? what a knob

Wullie
norrie
Willis lol

norrie? what a knob

Norrie? Keyboard warrior, face to face friend.

Has the club confirmed Tuta and Dutot having left yet?

hughes has now joined Dundee,

a big loss,hope gary has a few targets in mind.

Sorry to see him go, as he was a great asset to our midfield. Maybe lost a bit of pace but still had great vision and touch. Our squad is now pretty thin, and seems like a few injuries could see us down to the bare bones. Still think we could be doing with a ball winner in the middle of the park, some one who can do the ugly bit of the game. We need a finisher as its clear we are not scoring enough goals, only one in 3 games, and in those games we have made lots of chances. A good reliable full back should also be on the shopping list. A lot of teams will have the same shopping lists, Gary has pointed out in his interviews that he has been trying, and even our location has hampered his chances of signing players. I am sure if we are patient there will be some new faces before the end of January.

A Trialist
Has the club confirmed Tuta and Dutot having left yet?

Yes - last week's bayview bites

WEE TAM

Hughes was a good player for us but is he the sort of guy we'd want at a family club?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/453257/Football-stars-must-clean-up-their-act-says-former-police-chief

WEE TAM

From BBC sport........

Dundee complete deal for midfielder Stephen Hughes

Dundee have signed former Rangers, Motherwell and Aberdeen midfielder Stephen Hughes until the end of the season.
Hughes, most recently with League One outfit East Fife, is in line to make his debut against Hamilton at Dens Park on Saturday.
His arrival follows the loan signing of Motherwell defender Adam Cummins.
Dundee chief executive Scot Gardiner said: "Stephen's experience and creativity will be invaluable."
Hughes, who left Pittodrie in the summer, began his career at Ibrox and also starred for Leicester City, Norwich and MK Dons.
"We are looking to add more quality players like Stephen and Adam to the squad, hopefully before the weekend," added Gardiner.
John Brown's Dundee side are currently a point clear at the top of the Scottish Championship.

Noisy Crossbar
WEE TAM

Hughes was a good player for us but is he the sort of guy we'd want at a family club?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/453257/Football-stars-must-clean-up-their-act-says-former-police-chief

When the policemen said there names were Jordan Henderson and Tony Fitzpatrick they probably thought they were taking the piss.

Wullie
norrie
Willis lol

norrie? what a knob

Wullie lol = cock haha

Wonder what bouzid is up to.

Noisy Crossbar
Wonder what bouzid is up to.
which 1 ha

Guys, the club tried everything to keep Stephen. When he signed he insisted that he only sign till 13th January and then he would look at all possibilities open to him.

Gary and I are searching high and low for the best players available not just for this season but for next season also, we hope to make an announcement tomorrow about a couple of players and hopefully another 2 before the end of the week.

Be assured we will do everything in our power to get the best players to our club.

Big thanks to Stephen Hughes he was excellent for us.

Lee

Lee Murray
Guys, the club tried everything to keep Stephen. When he signed he insisted that he only sign till 13th January and then he would look at all possibilities open to him.

Gary and I are searching high and low for the best players available not just for this season but for next season also, we hope to make an announcement tomorrow about a couple of players and hopefully another 2 before the end of the week.

Be assured we will do everything in our power to get the best players to our club.

Big thanks to Stephen Hughes he was excellent for us.

Lee

Thanks for the update Lee. I am sure all Fife fans are fully appreciative of the efforts that you and Gary are making and for taking the time to keep the fans informed.

Good luck!

"not just for this season but for next season also"

Stability - I like it.

Hope Fisher signs on a permanent basis.

The guy was a class above league one football. Was nice to have him while we did and I wish him luck in getting back to playing football in the top flight.

He will be hugely missed in the middle of the park and here's hoping we get a quality replacement

Surely difficut to look at bringing in the best players available now not just for this season but next as we dont know what league we`ll be in next season and a better standard of player would be required for the championship league if we somehow(unlikely)managed it via the play offs.The days of players receiving or clubs giving more than a 1 year contract are all but gone

Are these best players available your looking to try and bring,are they to consolodate in this league or push for a play off spot this season in the hope of winning it and ultimately promotion?

What has happened with Stephen Hughes is good for the reputation of the club. Stephen stepped down a level to get back into full-time football, and he was able to help East Fife as he got his career back on track. There are other players out there who will see what Stephen achieved, and look upon East Fife as a worthwhile place to be.
The trick is to get the ones who can still play at a higher level and avoid the ones who are past it and kidding themselves.
I'm not saying that we want to take players on board just to see them all move on after two months, but even though Stephen has gone now I'm glad we had him for that short period. He was good for East Fife. Good luck to him at Dundee.

I heard Bobby Linn might be leaving for Dundee as well.

Kevin Byers also might be available.