Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Stanraer Match off

According to BbC website. Feel sorry for those that travelled

Re: Stanraer Match off

Stranraer v East Fife has been called off due to a waterlogged pitch at stair park.

No excuse for calling the game off when they did, doesn't take a genious to see a waterlogged pitch

Can ye no spell ya numpty it's GENIOUS.erse

raithman
v
Try spell checker it is spelt genius numpty come on the queens

raithman

Seriously???

Well done to all the 1938 travel bus die hards who made the journey down. Must have been awful to make that trip only for game to be called off. I heard the guys had a good time in Girvan though

mister smith
Well done to all the 1938 travel bus die hards who made the journey down. Must have been awful to make that trip only for game to be called off. I heard the guys had a good time in Girvan though
I was one of the diehards who made the trip to Stranraer today only to find out the game was called off when we were two miles from the ground. This was shocking because speaking to a local in the pub in Girvan , he said that it had never stopped raining from last night and was still raining when we left the pub @ 3pm. Stranraer should be reprimanded by the SFA and we and the club should be compensated. This is happening far too often . Pitch inspections should be made on a regular basis @ 10 am when inclement weather is forecasted irrespective of where the game is.

I was directly behind the team bus when they made the U turn at the ferry terminal, that was the giveaway. However continued on to Stranraer and the hotel along from the park. A couple of Stranraer fans in there who advised that there in no longer a local referee in the area who can be called in to assess pitch conditions. The club essentially have to wait the match referee to arrive. I guess they could/should make calls to the SFA and ask the referee to arrive earlier in situations such as today. You needed a small amphibious craft to travel the main road that runs along past the ground. Shambles!

That's shocking. Feel for you guys.

What time was it officially called off?

Remember this happening before and we all ended up going to Partick-Raith and getting a police cordon.

Love these people who sit on their computers and point out every spelling mistake typical Kirkcaldy scumbag

GoF

Remember this happening before and we all ended up going to Partick-Raith and getting a police cordon.

I'm guessing 1.30pm ish.

Yeah that's correct and the following midweek Fife travelled back down to play the game in which Ray Charles punted one in in the 2-0 win. Hey what's the chances ?

Remember this happening before and we all ended up going to Partick-Raith and getting a police cordon.[/quote]

I'm guessing 1.30pm ish.

Yeah that's correct and the following midweek Fife travelled back down to play the game in which Ray Charles punted one in in the 2-0 win. Hey what's the chances ? [/quote]

Dont think Ray Charles is going to come out of retirement for the re-arranged game Rossco!

rossco
GoF

I'm guessing 1.30pm ish.

Yeah that's correct and the following midweek Fife travelled back down to play the game in which Ray Charles punted one in in the 2-0 win. Hey what's the chances ?

The rearranged match in which Ray Charles scored was originally postponed due to East Fife's involvement in a Scottish cup tie at Easter Road, which we lost 5=1, not due to a late call off. We did go back to Stair Park midweek a couple of years later which ended in a Stranraer victory, which I suspect was due to a late call off.

It was 2.45pm the first I heard of it being mentioned on radio that it was called off about same time on bbc web-site. Just not good enough when stranraer knew at 10am the pitch would be un-playable . Some teams in this division seem surprised when away fans turn up

Who was the ref ?

Up till 2pm there was no mention on the radio of the game being postponed.I was told twenty minutes before KO time that the game was off.Went up to the ground to be certain and found plenty of home supporters at the stadium unaware that the match was off.The road conditions from Turnberry down to Stranraer were horrendous and it was clear the game was going to be in doubt.Poor show from the home club who surely could have demanded an earlier decision and communicated with fans,home and away,in a far more professional manner.

Efifer
mister smith
I was one of the diehards who made the trip to Stranraer today only to find out the game was called off when we were two miles from the ground. This was shocking because speaking to a local in the pub in Girvan , he said that it had never stopped raining from last night and was still raining when we left the pub @ 3pm. Stranraer should be reprimanded by the SFA and we and the club should be compensated. This is happening far too often . Pitch inspections should be made on a regular basis @ 10 am when inclement weather is forecasted irrespective of where the game is.

'this is happening far too often'. Eh, no it's not. I feel for anyone that made the journey and I'd be pissed off as well but no, it's not a regular occurrence. I remember East Fife making a total erse of call offs on several occasions after 2pm in the last 10 years. To get to January 18th before the first postponed game of the season is excellent IMO. Also, hard to take as it may be, Stranraer have done nothing wrong by the rules. It's just disappointing to call it off so late. We'll just have to pump them in the re-arranged game!

Sorry but what are the rules? As far as I'm concerned it's nothing to do with rules, It should be every clubs duty to consider all players and fans with respect to the even slight chance of a postponement of any match, and I include East Fife, who have been one of the worst offenders in recent years. As for not being a regular occurrence mate I personally have turned up to football grounds on no fewer than 5 times in the last 8 years to find out that the game was off, and that was only to watch The Fife, so what about all the other supporters of other teams, I bet they will have a similar story to tell. As a result of this latest debacle at Stranraer and they're pathetic excuse that there is not a local referee to make an early pitch inspection even though they knew at 10 am that the game was in serious doubt, I will never travel to Stranraer again.

Twice last season we suffered from late postponements.1st at Brechin the game was called off about 45mins before KO when the pitch was in such a terrible state that it should have been classed as unplayable on the friday night.
2nd at Albion, called off about 30mins before KO after a blizzard,20mins later pitch was clear and conditions ok.Replayed in worse conditions the next midweek.So I must agree this is happening too often.

The first indication that the game was in any way in doubt was received at 13:15. The message that the game was off came through at 13:40.
If there was any doubt at all, local referee or no local referee, Stranraer should have done the decent thing and told us there might be a problem well in advance.
From speaking to one of the locals, I too was informed that the rain had been torrential since the previous day. Surely that was the time to take action and arrange for a referee to come from wherever and do the needful, even if it was at ten on Saturday morning (at least we would only have been a fraction of the way down the road at that point!).
As for East Fife having been guilty of the same in recent years, I would like to point out that we have called games off well in advance lately, and on at least one occasion the postponement was on the day before the game (which if my memory serves me correctly was a Stranraer match!).
Sorry, rules or no rules, there's no excuse.

Ritchie
rossco
GoF

I'm guessing 1.30pm ish.

The rearranged match in which Ray Charles scored was originally postponed due to East Fife's involvement in a Scottish cup tie at Easter Road, which we lost 5=1, not due to a late call off. We did go back to Stair Park midweek a couple of years later which ended in a Stranraer victory, which I suspect was due to a late call off.

You sir are correct, funny how I had that incident mixed up in my mind. I guess it's an age thing

Just like to say and sorry to all the fans who made the journey yesterday to Stranraer.

I have emailed and called the league and have made our feelings very clear that as a club we are extremely unhappy that we were given no indication that there would be a problem with the pitch.

I don't expect anything but I have asked for our fans to be compensated for the journey they undertook yesterday or at least the re-arranged game.

Thanks again for your support

Lee

Lee Murray
Just like to say and sorry to all the fans who made the journey yesterday to Stranraer.

I have emailed and called the league and have made our feelings very clear that as a club we are extremely unhappy that we were given no indication that there would be a problem with the pitch.

I don't expect anything but I have asked for our fans to be compensated for the journey they undertook yesterday or at least the re-arranged game.

Thanks again for your support

Lee

Much appreciated Lee

So are East Fife able to claim expenses for their fruitless journey? I know that in the juniors if no morning inspection takes place and the match ref deems the pitch unplayable then the home side have to cough up expenses.

Feel sorry for the fans that traveled, must have been some seriously pissed off supporters when they found out game was off! According to Stranraer supporters it was obvious the game would be in doubt even early doors Sat morning yet there was no inspection and again it's the fans that are fooked about and out of pocket! Hopefully the Spfl can do more to prevent this happening in future...

Any news on when the match is rescheduled for?

There will NOT be a bus to the Stranraer game if it is midweek.