Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New crest

mocked up something really basic for a crest design today, what do you guys think?

Re: New crest

Like it!!

Me too

Actually quite like that, but why the Scotland banner and why the thistle???

King Kebab

Because we are in Scotland and the thistle is a recognised emblem maybe? I hope you are not going to start all that Thane of Fife garbage again?

I like the badge, but not the Knight on his horse emblem. What has a Knight on a horse got to do with East Fife, or Scotland?

I think you have blown it Neil. Four replies and already the thistle,the horse,the knight and the flag are "don't likes". Incidentally,did you need to call it East Fife Football Club.
I can't read your mind but I suspect the knight on the horse is an attempt to ensure we don't forget our history and is in remembrance of JDB riding in to save the club from destruction.

p.s. quite like the badge

I think its great!

??
King Kebab

Because we are in Scotland and the thistle is a recognised emblem maybe? I hope you are not going to start all that Thane of Fife garbage again?

I like the badge, but not the Knight on his horse emblem. What has a Knight on a horse got to do with East Fife, or Scotland?

If you read my post, I said I quite liked the badge, but was only asking why the need for the Scotland banner or the thistle in it???

The Scotland bit always has been a contentious issue regarding the current badge, namely why? There are forty one other Senior Clubs in the country and none of them appear to be so lost that they require their address on their club crest, also there are three other clubs who have a thistle on their crest but they also have a thistle in their name, I can see the link there!!!

Also he's a Thane not a Knight!!!

Ayr United have a saltire on their badge as well.

Dysart Lino
Ayr United have a saltire on their badge as well.

And you've got a lion doing the splits holding a pizza!!!

Nobody mentioned the saltire, the saltire a fine!!!

Well done Neil the badge looks brilliant, I personally would love this as our badge from next season.

??
King Kebab

Ignorance is bliss

I dont think we need Scotland all over it either though. Pointless.
I would like to see a modern take on the Thane of Fife theme/ emblem.
We'll have a new club shop. We'll have brand new merchandise. The club is reborn and under new ownership. Next season we should have a new club crest which says something about local identity, but most importantly is neat and marketable. And drags us into the 21st century.

McDuff
??
King Kebab

Ignorance is bliss

I dont think we need Scotland all over it either though. Pointless.
I would like to see a modern take on the Thane of Fife theme/ emblem.
We'll have a new club shop. We'll have brand new merchandise. The club is reborn and under new ownership. Next season we should have a new club crest which says something about local identity, but most importantly is neat and marketable. And drags us into the 21st century.

Seconded

We don't need the word "Scotland", we know where we are. I agree with the local identity theme but history should also be a part of the crest. Let's not forget that Methil was built on coal so I am suggesting do away with the "guy on a horse" and replace it with a depiction of a "headgear" structure (the tall metal structure above the mineshaft that housed the winding gear that lowered the cage). We could also get a new nickname instead of the "Fife", (a bit lame) and use something to reflect our history eg. The C******. No comments NTOC.

Keep the Thane, replace the thistle with the silhouette of a pit head winding gear, replace the word Scotland with 1903 and job done!!!

Pish badge

Right, to answer the questions

Thistle as it appeared on our second crest

'Scotland' as it has appeared on three of our five crests

Saltire as it has appeared on four of our five crests also it's the st.andrews cross and st.andrews is based in the east of fife, could be a loose connection though??

Thane as it was on our first crest

So what people would like to see if i read this right is

NO 'SCOTLAND', NO THISTLE OR THANE and maybe no 'football club'

WOULD LIKE TO SEE MINE HEADFRAME

will mock something up later in this fashion

Neil Buchanan

Saltire as it has appeared on four of our five crests also it's the st.andrews cross and st.andrews is based in the east of fife, could be a loose connection though??

We already have a football club with a crest already. Why do you want to change it?? Oh, just because YOU don't like it.

Auld Geezer
We don't need the word "Scotland", we know where we are. I agree with the local identity theme but history should also be a part of the crest. Let's not forget that Methil was built on coal so I am suggesting do away with the "guy on a horse" and replace it with a depiction of a "headgear" structure (the tall metal structure above the mineshaft that housed the winding gear that lowered the cage). We could also get a new nickname instead of the "Fife", (a bit lame) and use something to reflect our history eg. The C******. No comments NTOC.

I think a large wind turbine would be fitting.

No, as i like designing stuff and the club crest has been an issue of contention for many years now. Like people have said on the thread it looks very dated and I thought it would be a fun to create the 'perfect' crest that ticked the most boxes for the fans and see where it came out compared to what we have currently.

As you can see the majority on this thread seem to want something quite different to what we have at the moment. That's why

Auld Geezer

I'm with Auld Geezer on some of this. The directors could attend matches with blackened faces,wearing headlamps and knee pads with picks on their shoulders. When we open our new café/restaurant it can be called the Wellesley Canteen. When the terracing is built it can be called the Denbeath Washer Stand. Now we just need a nickname which begins with "C"

??

We already have a football club with a crest already. Why do you want to change it?? Oh, just because YOU don't like it.

Like it or lump it, the crest IS changing, so don't give the guy grief because he's throwing some suggestions into the ring!!!

Glad to see NTOC coming on board with the coal theme and a new set of togs for the directors wouldn't go amiss. Believe me NTOC knows more about knee pads than you can imagine! I must say that the "Wellesley Canteen" has a certain ring to it, any more ideas for a name?

We have this debate every few months. On every occasion, the forum consensus is that the new badge must contain a wind turbine and a power station to represent the past and the future of the club. A bloke on a horse and a thistle don't represent East Fife unless they are woven into the jerseys using the wool of the sheep Dave Marshall uses for pitch maintenance.

Auld Geezer
Glad to see NTOC coming on board with the coal theme and a new set of togs for the directors wouldn't go amiss. Believe me NTOC knows more about knee pads than you can imagine! I must say that the "Wellesley Canteen" has a certain ring to it, any more ideas for a name?

I think the Jessie Miller Suite has a certain ring to it.

??
Neil Buchanan

No, because it's crap and always has been. And many people feel the same. It says nothing about the club or it's history, the community, where we come from etc, etc. Need I go on?

It's high time for a change

I think the Jessie Miller Suite has a certain ring to it.[/quote]

You never really got over her and you haven't forgotten her either.

http://www.thefifepost.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Buckhaven-Methil-Innerleven1.png

Here is a copy of the old Buckhaven and Methil Town council crest.

Any mileage in adaptation.?

King Kebab
??

The Scotland bit always has been a contentious issue regarding the current badge, namely why? There are forty one other Senior Clubs in the country and none of them appear to be so lost that they require their address on their club crest, also there are three other clubs who have a thistle on their crest but they also have a thistle in their name, I can see the link there!!!

Also he's a Thane not a Knight!!!

Annan, Cowdenbeath and Livingston have thistles on thier crests.

sammy
http://www.thefifepost.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Buckhaven-Methil-Innerleven1.png

Here is a copy of the old Buckhaven and Methil Town council crest.

Any mileage in adaptation.?

Well, Buckhaven & Methil are the right plaice(s), so it cod be taken onboard by those who will fin-ally decide? On a scale of 1 - 10, I'd give it 8, to be included in a new crest. We'll sea what happens.

leave the badge as is ffs just paid £50 for it to bee tatood on ma arm

was that not just to cover previous burds coco

I'm with Auld Geezer on some of this. The directors could attend matches with blackened faces,wearing headlamps and knee pads with picks on their shoulders. When we open our new café/restaurant it can be called the Wellesley Canteen. When the terracing is built it can be called the Denbeath Washer Stand. Now we just need a nickname which begins with "C"[/quote]

I have been contacted by an anonymous board member who has revealed exclusively that an emergency board meeting was called to discuss exactly what they had to wear re. the mining theme. Apparently at least one director stormed out when told he was not expected to dress as a minor.

Blazers Ooot Sark and Moleskin troosers in. *Skips off humming Dick Gaughan tunes...

Admit it NTOC it wis your knee padding cronies that contacted you asking where and when the fun starts!

I like it neil, hope we can get something like that,coal is a thing of the past in scotland,thanks to thatcher,and I dont see any reason for it on our badge.

Coal may be a thing of the past but history defines us. 1938 is a thing of the past but we still treasure it (1938 Travel Club!) My Dad was a miner at the Wellesley and missed shifts to travel to see East Fide. Him and many other thousands of miners were the people who filled Bayview so let's show them some respect with a little tribute on a new crest.

Auld geezer - well said. Coal mining history will be here long after we are gone.

Don.t like new badge

coco
leave the badge as is ffs just paid £50 for it to bee tatood on ma arm

£50 squid take it you are aff review and got yer bonus then

Why dont we replace the Scottish saltire with the Jamaican one?
That's a better reflection of Methil culture surely??

I'm sure a certain MarkHamill would be proud of Auld geezers comoiment to all things coal

IF We were to use a new badge, as an ex miner who used wear a miners hardhat to away games (as many of us did), I would like that heritage recognised in the badge. In our halcyon days our half back line was nicknamed "the ton of coal".