Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Stonie???

I'm no one for airing my comments and opinions (or frustrations) on this site but I find it hard to understand the situation with stonie. In my opinion there's no-one in that squad that puts more effort in to a game than this lad. The fact he's a local boy as well he's prepared to dig that little bit deeper than some others. Leaves it all on the park and to me this is why he was appointed captain. We all hav different views but I think he's a key player in our team which leads me to my question.

What's has went on at the club because all my years of following the fife and football as such iv never witnessed this dramatic decline in involvement. Club captain dropped like a hot scone and today not even in the squad? Can anyone clarify a reason behind this or are we all in the dark? I heard a rumour that a junior club wer interested and the club accepted an offer but stonie knocked it back to fight for his jersey arm band and sense of pride. Not sayin this is true as I heard it in the pub but that's the reason I'm asking for an answer.

R.R

Re: Stonie???

The reason plain and simple, according to Gary is that he is not fully fit.

Players sometimes get dropped. It happens at every club. Nothing to see here, move along now.

I agree but there's a difference between being dropped and accepting bids if it's fitness then that's up to them to solve but from leading the team out at ibrox to almost being pushed out the door in 3-4 weeks is a bit more than being dropped so no need to try be smart about it dude, like I said in my first post that's my opinion and I'm sure a lot of people will disagree. The other answer sounds a bit closer than "move along" my opinion is worth as much as yours is to the team selection so would you like to accompany me in "moving along"

R.R

Never understood where all this stuff about Stonie trying harder than any other East Fife player comes from. Trying your best should go without saying. He's also played most of our games over the past 2 years and we've been just as shit in that period as we were today. Of all the problems we have I certainly don't think Stonie not playing is the issue.

I'm not saying it is the issue or that that the team would b better with him in it. I said I thought he gave everything. Yes your right everyone that pulls on that jersey should b giving there all but I'm afraid I don't think they do. Don't no about u but is rather hav guys that give ther all than guys with the ability that do it when they feel like it. I merely gave my opinion of him and asked the question if anyone had any idea what had been going on. Am I the only one that finds it strange that the club r trying or going to sell there captain? Obviously everyone's in the dark about this that the only thing they can reply with is picking holes my opinion of the guy.

R.R

Johnston is truly out of his depth in this division.
He might be more suitable next season when we're back in the basement league or alternatively could return to the juniors where he fits best.

Just sayin like.

Ronnie redskin
I'm not saying it is the issue or that that the team would b better with him in it. I said I thought he gave everything. Yes your right everyone that pulls on that jersey should b giving there all but I'm afraid I don't think they do. Don't no about u but is rather hav guys that give ther all than guys with the ability that do it when they feel like it. I merely gave my opinion of him and asked the question if anyone had any idea what had been going on. Am I the only one that finds it strange that the club r trying or going to sell there captain? Obviously everyone's in the dark about this that the only thing they can reply with is picking holes my opinion of the guy.

R.R

I think its as simple as he's not rated by Gary Naysmith. I was a bit surprised he was offered a new deal pre season to be honest.

Still no-one can answer why u would sell ur captain. He's still club captain. You would think if he wasn't in Gary naismiths plans he would appoint a new captain and keep him even as a squad player no go from one extreme to the other. It appears no-one knows what's happened which is what I asked. If it's just fitness then iv got faith that he'll b back. No jokin

R.R

Like I say Thor it's all about opinions and your entitled to yours.

Ronnie redskin
Still no-one can answer why u would sell ur captain. He's still club captain. You would think if he wasn't in Gary naismiths plans he would appoint a new captain and keep him even as a squad player no go from one extreme to the other. It appears no-one knows what's happened which is what I asked. If it's just fitness then iv got faith that he'll b back. No jokin

R.R

He has been replaced as captain, unless he's been captaining the team from the stand or bench. I don't really see what you're unable to grasp here, Naysmith took over, has gradually changed the team and now Stonie is out of it. Maybe he'll be back, maybe he won't. There are certainly much bigger issues on the playing front to worry about. Thanks for allowing me to be entitled to my opinion though.

With the players that were being brought in, and the experience they have, it was a major surprise to see Stonie appointed captain in the first place.

One of the many failings from Aitchison that put us on the back foot from the start,

Astonishing that our longest serving player should be appointed club captain at the start of the season. No wonder we struggled.

Yeah because longevity is how awarding a captaincy should work.

Who cares about experience, knowledge, talent and what they can bring to the role.

I think the bottom line is that he's not good enough at this level. His effort cannot be questioned but sadly isn't up to it.

Fat Doug
I think the bottom line is that he's not good enough at this level. His effort cannot be questioned but sadly isn't up to it.

The worrying thing is that he's not the only one. There are new guys in now and though early days there is no evidence that they are any better than those playing earlier in the season.

Fisher, McKenzie, rusty and cowan all better than what we had before. To me stonie was over-rated by the fife fans cause he is a local lad, still do a job for us but only as a squad player. I would expect a captain to have " been places and done things "

Jim Moffat Jr
Fisher, McKenzie, rusty and cowan all better than what we had before. To me stonie was over-rated by the fife fans cause he is a local lad, still do a job for us but only as a squad player. I would expect a captain to have " been places and done things "

Correct!

He is still club captain though??

Ronnie redskin
He is still club captain though??

Do we have a "club captain" or does the manager pick a player from the starting 11 to captain the team? I was fairly certain it was the latter. I don't think Stonie is captaining the team from the stand/bench. You can probably stop worrying about this now. If you see him back in the team with a wee band on his arm then he'll probably be captain again, until then, he probably won't be.

We'll said Jim Moffat jar. We are short of a good left back although we seem to have an abundance of right backs. As I said on a previous blog Danny grainier now of Dunfermline would have been a great signing for us. Look where all three Dunfermline goals came from. Really don t think Stoney is doing well just now neither is nay smith. I think Stoney was made club captain for the fans benefit as he was well known locally. But hey, might be wrong.....

Where about in Kennoway do you stay Ronnie?

Every club has a club captain and wether you like it or not Craig Johnston is ours.
I'd be prepared to bet that if selected in the starting 11 he will lead the team out with that said little band on his arm.

Where I stay has nothing to do with my opinion wether it b kennoway or Cowdenbeath.

R.R

Ronnie redskin
Every club has a club captain and wether you like it or not Craig Johnston is ours.
I'd be prepared to bet that if selected in the starting 11 he will lead the team out with that said little band on his arm.

Where I stay has nothing to do with my opinion wether it b kennoway or Cowdenbeath.

R.R

Do you like riding in the Rangers bus Ronnie?

Fact - Stonie is one of the weakest players in the squad. How he is captain, I'll never know.

Stonie, is our captain, or our programme is wrong every week,I personally think the team plays better when he is in the team,also heard that he was offered out to the juniors. We are also missing Scott McBride.

I think making Stonie the captain was a bad thing for Stonie. I think he changed from concentrating on his own performance, to concentrating on his team mates performances and felt a need to show that on the pitch. His own performances have suffered as a consequence. I think he has something to give to the team, but not as a captain. He certainly possesses commitment to the cause and overall he is a good player to have in the squad.

(Agree about Scott Mcbride).

Johnston is not 1st division standard! End Off. He`s junior league and its players like him and rank managers who will quite happily toddle along at their own pace doon in the 3rd.
Most folk who are familiar with the concept of what makes a good footballer will know this.
The rest of you are no doubt real supporters who will quite happily accept basement league football so long as the local hero's and facebook buddies are on yer pals list.
I`m starting to think there is seriously something wrong down Methil way as year after year we continue to recruit and play a lot of fucking shite players and poor managerial appointments.
Nae wonder Cowden fans laugh at us.

Turning into a very interesting thread.
Chic has returned after two years to let us know he will still be supporting his team in the third division no matter who is playing for us.
Dipper makes his first appearance with a really funny joke accompanied by a cartoon face to explain that it's a joke.
After years of pent up frustration Mr Very Angry has erupted with a vicious attack on players and supporters alike. He is so angry he has included a swear word and you can't get much angrier than that.
AFTN, a forum for East Fife Supporters. Don't they make you proud

And jack says this and dougie says that blah blah.

Yawn

Stonie is maybe junior standard but right now so are we

Benitez
Stonie is maybe junior standard but right now so are we

That`s maybe something to do with the other 10 players.

jesus,31 coments in nay wan said that he wizny signed iz a left back but iz a left winger/midfeilder.stonie been played oot o position in ma opinion,maybe if wi played him further up the park,wi micht score a few mare goals.

Stoney started off in youth football as a left back so it is not an unnatural position for him!!!!!!!!!!!

Said it since we signed him, Stoney never has been and never will be good enough for this level. If he was from Glasgow fans would've wanted him away ages ago. Takes corners that don't beat the first man, consistently gives the ball away, always caught out of position.

He just isn't good enough. Every fan could go out there and give 100% but thats not the point, We would'nt be good enough for this level, neither is he.

If he goes, we can thank him for his efforts and move on. He was appointed captain by the worst manager ever at East Fife. Says it all.

Agree in part there are others at the club too. J Stewart is without doubt the laziest midfielder I have ever seen and then blames it on others. Heard him in a recent reserve game shout at Brad right back he had the man covered, only for the guy to run through un opposed 1 on 1 with keeper not once but 3 times. Another game he ran out of the tackle and blamed mad dog. Maybe if he shut up and concentrated on his game he might be a player. I have posted re the Kelty fek me if that's where we're going the only way will be down. We have two decent keepers Paterson has made up for a bad game, young Shaw is talented give him some game time between now and the end of the season, or why the fek put him on the bench.