Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Latest Score

Stenhousemuir 0 East Fife 1 scorer Buchanan 46 min.

Re: Latest Score

3 subs made already... Cowan, Campbell and Durie off... Most of the defence.. Looks like all injuries too... Hope we can hold out as this wil be a huge 3pts

stennie goal with almost last kick. what a bummer

That's a sore 1! Spewing and I wasn't even there!!

92nd minute!!!

All the other results went for us as well today, could/should have been a massive 3 points!!!

Could say that a draw was no more than we deserved. But we invited the goal by changing the shape for the last ten minutes. Poor decision by Naysmith to drop smith deeper.
Midfield was desperately poor today. Never won a tackle for 90mins. Forgot O'Neil was even on. Fisher and J Stewart are powder puff. Some how Stewart managed to get cramp!
Stenny weren't great but probably had better chances. Mackenzie should have scored in the first 5 mins but it finished with a poor effort. Early goal might have done us good, however we where poor for the whole of the 1st half.
Got the goal early in the 2nd but we just got deeper and deeper as the game went on and then pumping the ball into the corners. Paterson needs to mix it up from his kick outs. Tried same thing all game with little to no success.
Lose next week and I fear the worst. Worst case scenario we finish bottom. We end up the play off and I wouldn't fancy this team in a battle. No composer. No confidence. No fight and no luck.

do we have a keeper coach yet?

King Kebab
92nd minute!!!

All the other results went for us as well today, could/should have been a massive 3 points!!!

Airdrie won

Tron
Could say that a draw was no more than we deserved. But we invited the goal by changing the shape for the last ten minutes. Poor decision by Naysmith to drop smith deeper.
Midfield was desperately poor today. Never won a tackle for 90mins. Forgot O'Neil was even on. Fisher and J Stewart are powder puff. Some how Stewart managed to get cramp!
Stenny weren't great but probably had better chances. Mackenzie should have scored in the first 5 mins but it finished with a poor effort. Early goal might have done us good, however we where poor for the whole of the 1st half.
Got the goal early in the 2nd but we just got deeper and deeper as the game went on and then pumping the ball into the corners. Paterson needs to mix it up from his kick outs. Tried same thing all game with little to no success.
Lose next week and I fear the worst. Worst case scenario we finish bottom. We end up the play off and I wouldn't fancy this team in a battle. No composer. No confidence. No fight and no luck.

Paterson kept being told to aim for the manager when he was taking his goal kicks, he was telling the players to come in a bit but they must have Also have been told to stay where they were for some strange reason.

Cr
Tron

Paterson kept being told to aim for the manager when he was taking his goal kicks, he was telling the players to come in a bit but they must have Also have been told to stay where they were for some strange reason.

Fair enough he's not totally at fault. Still wasn't working though. We didn't have any height in the middle and Kevin Smith is hardly a target man, although he seemed to be asked to drop in and do that.

Before the game I would have been happy with a point. At half time, that opinion hadn't changed as we'd created very little and but for poor finishing and good goalkeeping we could have been 3 or 4 down. When we scored early in the 2nd half, we had Stemny pinned back for about 10 minutes. As the game wore on Stenny were launching the ball forward without really testing Pato. It was a real kick in the teeth when Malone equalised in the 3rd minute of injury
Thought Greg Paterson redeemed himself after his mistakes at Brechin last week. He made some excellent saves in the first half. His goal kicks are obviously part of the tactics set up by the Manager, but I can't believe that we continued this throughout the game when it was blatantly obvious that Greacen and McMillan were winning everything in the air. We are so predictable without really having a target player. I would like to see us try to bring in Rory Fallon who was released by St Johnstone. At 6'2" he'd give us that option and could even play three games as a trialist to help us out and put himself in the shop window. We have really limited options up front at the moment - might be worth a try.
We have really missed Stephen Hughes since he left, but I notice he hasn't even been in the Dundee squad the last couple of weeks. If Hartley doesn't rate him, we should try to get him back on loan. Fisher and Ross Brown played their best games for us with Hughes alongside them.
Next week at home to Airdrie and two weeks later at Arbroath are now huge games and we need players to be right up for these games. If I'm being honest, I really fear the play offs because I don't think we have enough players who will have the desire grit and determination to get us through them. We need a settled side to get understanding in the team, but for me the balance of the squad is not great which means players playing out of position. Hopefully we can get full points out of the Airdrie and Arbroath games to get some more daylight between us and them.

Agree with everything in this post but would just like to add that I could not believe that Gary used the same tactics as he did last week against Brechin, that was to lump the ball up to either the two tiny wingers in McKenzie and O'Neill or Kevin in the centre, right in to the hands of the big back four of Stenny,who never missed a ball in the air. To be fair Gary had them playing more on the deck second half with much more success. We were also surprised to see Dave Cowan replaced at half time, as he was again very steady at right back. I can only assume he was unwell because I never saw him injured. Airdrie next week is now the ultimate six-pointer.

This was definitely a case of a point stolen as opposed to 2 points dropped.
The first half we were never at the races and quite frankly should have been at least 2 down.
For the first 10 minutes of the second half we got the ball on the ground and started to play a bit.Thereafter we were outmuscled and let Stenhousemuir back into the game.
I cannot disagree with what other posters have stated.
Mbu was for me the EF man of the match,aided and abetted by Fisher and Smith.
Additionally there is obviously a lack of balance on the left side of the team with Durie starting at left back and Marc Mc Kenzie at left midfielk. Gary Naismith has struggled at left back recently but is still the best left back at the club. As the club's manager , I feel he should still be playing and leave the managing during the match to Paul Hegarty. I don't know where Mc Bride is at the moment, but if he was available ,I would put him or Stoney in left midfield.
Today's midfield of O;Neill, Fisher Stewart, and McKenzie were in the main posted missing for most of the game.
There is no doubt we are missing Stephen Hughes. There is conjecture about where Ross Brown will be next season but as far as I am concerned , if he is on the payroll this season , he should be playing.
I am very concerned about about the distinct possibility of us finishing in the bottom 2 and our ability to get through the playoffs.
Last season we had Div Muir this season we have ???

sammy
Last season we had Div Muir this season we have ???

Cyrus Moosavi

Thor
King Kebab
92nd minute!!!

Airdrie won

Yes they did, well done for noticing, but Airdrie defeating Brechin WAS a good result for us, HAD WE WON, it would have kept us only 5 points behind Brechin and 8 points in front of Airdrie, again, HAD WE WON!!!

Perhaps it is the eternal optimist in me, but staying in touch with the teams above us will ensure our survival in this Division, if we can do that then the rest will take care of itself!!!

The league is clearly shaping up to a top 5 and bottom 5. We are in a mini league with Arbroath, Airdrie, Forfar and Stennie. Airdrie seem to be the team gathering the most points at the moment. Still 12 games to go and I am certain there will be a lot of twist and turns. Very important we win our home games against the teams in the bottom 5. Next weeks game is as big as they come. I still think the midfield has not got the right mix or balance. If we are going to play with 2 wide men they have to give a lot more for the team. I would try stonnie wide left next week and Ross Brown in the engine room in the middle instead of Oneil.Looks like the squad will be tested as a few injuries seem to be mounting.