Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Arbroath V East Fife

Please, please, pretty fucking please guys can we have a win tomorrow?

OK, if that is a too much of a big ask how about a goal please? I'm not greedy even one would do.

Re: Arbroath V East Fife

Easy home win.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I've got a funny feeling McManus will come back to haunt us! I mind when he left a lot of people thought big signings were inbound and were happy to see him go! Must win game today. Please be up for this and hopefully we will go for the win and get stuck in about them! Mon the Fife....

I was going today but not feeling well

Re: Arbroath V East Fife5

2-1 Arbroath Shagger scores. All we need now is for Deuchar to be brought on and rub it in.

East Fife FC, bottom tier oblivion and gates of 300. Thank you and goodnight.

RIP

The Dude
2-1 Arbroath Shagger scores. All we need now is for Deuchar to be brought on and rub it in.

East Fife FC, bottom tier oblivion and gates of 300. Thank you and goodnight.

RIP[/quote

Goodnight? It's only jist efter 5 man!

Did not expect that today worst result possible i hope Gary gets time as its not looking good at moment. If he was to leave how about Gordan Urquhart U 19s manager be cheap option and he has done wanders with the youth side over years making them better players and tactically aware as we all know thats the way we are looking to go down youth road . Yes he has no expierience in first team but we have apointed last 2 managers with no first team management expierience one thing about his sides is they show fight at passion for club which we need you may raise a eyebrow but why not he desreves a chance as does everyone else i believe his training sessions are upbeat and high tempo cant be any worse

Can't believe anyone is seriously talking about Gary Naysmith getting the boot! Results haven't been going our way but if you can't see the good work he is doing both with the players and matters off of the pitch too.

Nobody wants us to go down & I don't believe we will however if that is our fate I really hope we stick with Gary, stability is what we need and if that means starting fresh in League 2 then so be it!

Get behind the team & let them get us out of this mess.

Hard to defend that today simply not good enough. With performances like that I cant see a way out of this sorry mess.

The manger is crap it looks like we are going down

It's going to be hard to stay up now I can't see it ary pars Forfar all hard games for us

In a season of poor performances the second half today was absolutely rock bottom.With a gale behind us our only meaningful shot was in stoppage time.Arbroath were allowed to pass the ball about unchallenged and the scoreline did them an injustice.Difficult to see how we get out of this.With 1 exception that was an experienced team out there.
They are letting down the club,the manager and the fans.Someone at the club needs to get a hold of them and tell them the performances are totally unacceptable.

Andrew Miller
Can't believe anyone is seriously talking about Gary Naysmith getting the boot! Results haven't been going our way but if you can't see the good work he is doing both with the players and matters off of the pitch too.

Nobody wants us to go down & I don't believe we will however if that is our fate I really hope we stick with Gary, stability is what we need and if that means starting fresh in League 2 then so be it!

Get behind the team & let them get us out of this mess.

Most people do get behind the team but what do we get in return? Like with every other rookie manager we have appointed in the past 5 years total and utter dross. And can you show us the good work he is doing with the players? I see no evidence of it. And please no talk of being unlucky. 22 goals scored all season and the worst goal difference in the league has nothing to do with bad luck. We are going down and no mistake quite possibly without another win this season.

Enjoy League 2 (aka the 4th division) and the fresh start. Wasn't that supposed to be this season?

Still not attending games. But you can see a lot of things from a distance. East Fife play defensive tactics. Against Rangers thats the first time ive seen that set out since Prague/Levein. The few games weve won ive noticed, even from match reports, that we were hanging on desperately at the end. Ive said before that a team playing those tactics at this level will achieve nothing, either promotion or avoiding a drop. Also, i want reasons to come back. Watching those tactics wont do it, ive seen far too much of it with East Fife and Scotland teams in the past. Its a disease that runs through Scottish football. At all levels, dropping attendances would reverse with an over all reversal of tactical approach. Every single thing available has been blamed for dropping standards, except the one that is most crucial.

DPH
I've got a funny feeling McManus will come back to haunt us! I mind when he left a lot of people thought big signings were inbound and were happy to see him go! Must win game today. Please be up for this and hopefully we will go for the win and get stuck in about them! Mon the Fife....

Your were right dph he came back and haunted us. Your are also right about us signing dross upfront and getting told we would have big players come in.

Utter shambles today. To be outfought by Arbroath is unacceptable. The wind played a massive part in the game. We were against it in the first half, back to the walls stuff and I wasn't too concerned going it at 1-1. We scored with a rare attack into Arbroath's half.

I would have thought in the second half we would be bombarding Wood in goals with the wind but Arbroath dominated us and should have won by more if it wasn't for Paterson.

Sloppy mistakes, gutless and toothless. We are heading down I think. We have no leader on the park, no one prepared to roll up their sleeves and get the team going. No matter what league we are in, Gary needs to bin all but 3 or 4 of this dross - who have failed us for a few years now.

Lol... Are you Gordon's son. I have watched the u19s last season and this. You are a comic if you really think that is what is needed at EF.

Was at Gayfield today and all I can is that it was utter shite. We were clueless. Feel totally depressed. Where the hell are we going to find the goals to get us out of this mess?

Colin H
The manger is crap it looks like we are going down

unbelievable comment colin H

Piss poor as to be expected! Can't see where the next 3 points will come from? Can only see us going down! Absolute shambles of a season.

groundsman
Did not expect that today worst result possible i hope Gary gets time as its not looking good at moment. If he was to leave how about Gordan Urquhart U 19s manager be cheap option and he has done wanders with the youth side over years making them better players and tactically aware as we all know thats the way we are looking to go down youth road . Yes he has no expierience in first team but we have apointed last 2 managers with no first team management expierience one thing about his sides is they show fight at passion for club which we need you may raise a eyebrow but why not he desreves a chance as does everyone else i believe his training sessions are upbeat and high tempo cant be any worse

Groundsman are you for real. The revolution that was going to start this year; never did because we hired a youth coach and a lot of youth coaches to back him up. Great idea my arse, give yourself a shake, your idea is not even worth answering. I don’t blame Willie for taking on the job, Lee and the rest of the board had no choice in the matter. As far as I can gather it was all down to Brian McNeil, if he had an ounce of decency left he would take his jacket and walk. Christ he cannot even fight his own corner on AFTN he gets his wife to do it for him. It will take a fight to stay up but I think it is preferable than going down and dreaming of coming up the next season. The manager has tried to get a team together but it was late on in the season after the damage had already been done. Lets be honest all the crap on the telly and in the papers about what we were going to do has made us a laughing stock.

groundsman

Are you having a laugh? Gordon urquhart FFs heard it all now. What terrific achievements lead you to this suggestion unless your name is really greig.

Naysmith is having to work mostly with aitchisons squad, not ideal, but changing manager every few months rarely works

At the start of the season I fot we wolud have been in the top 4 but has not happing but If we get a new manger we might have more changes of staying or your think it won't ?

If we go down, and going by today's performance, it is a very strong possibility,we must keep with Naysmith and allow him to develop his own team.

None of this mess is Gary's fault. The mistakes were made at the start of the season with the appointment of a mysterious youth coach who will never be a manager of a senior club again. There was also a huge mistake made with the foreigners experiment.

I'm sure Naysmith is in the Paul Hartley/ Ian Murray mould and that he can be a success. I just hope the fans don't turn against him because the fault certainly doesn't lie there.

Never mind eh. We can all tell them how wonderful they are at the big player of the year award on the pitch.
Player of the year lol what a fucking joke. Embarrassment of the year maybe.
When your filling your face full of spit roast pig have a thought for the poor fuckers like us that you've let down.

We could argue all night about who to blame for what has went wrong. But im sorry the here and now is that performance today was shocking with so much at stake. We have been damaged by injuries Fisher, Campbell and McBride would have started if fit. I am still bewildered 5 hours after full time with our lack of fight and commitment. A few home truths must have been said in the away dressing room at full time. The players let the fans, the management, the board, and themselves down big time today. I feel sick that I spent £30 to watch East Fife go down without any heart or fight in a relegation scrap. The manager has spoken about players winning individual battles, well the news for him tonight is all 11 players lost their battle today. If any one of they players can come of that pitch at 4 45 and say they have no regrets I would be surprised. As was said earlier there was 10 experienced professionals in our team today, and we made a team that has won twice in 18 games look like world beaters playing in to a 25mph wind. I hope the players and manager are hurting as much as me tonight but I some how doubt it.

Put on the reserves next game and show the senior buffoons how to play football. Get rd of that cart horse Mbu.

Now ex fan
Never mind eh. We can all tell them how wonderful they are at the big player of the year award on the pitch.
Player of the year lol what a fucking joke. Embarrassment of the year maybe.
When your filling your face full of spit roast pig have a thought for the poor fuckers like us that you've let down.

Spot on.

fan 67
We could argue all night about who to blame for what has went wrong. But im sorry the here and now is that performance today was shocking with so much at stake. We have been damaged by injuries Fisher, Campbell and McBride would have started if fit. I am still bewildered 5 hours after full time with our lack of fight and commitment. A few home truths must have been said in the away dressing room at full time. The players let the fans, the management, the board, and themselves down big time today. I feel sick that I spent £30 to watch East Fife go down without any heart or fight in a relegation scrap. The manager has spoken about players winning individual battles, well the news for him tonight is all 11 players lost their battle today. If any one of they players can come of that pitch at 4 45 and say they have no regrets I would be surprised. As was said earlier there was 10 experienced professionals in our team today, and we made a team that has won twice in 18 games look like world beaters playing in to a 25mph wind. I hope the players and manager are hurting as much as me tonight but I some how doubt it.

The best post so far on this shambolic season.

Bring back Robbo and the old guard he had in his team

Great post fan67, summed the whole thing up very well. No they won't give a shit I dare say, well maybe for an hour or two but unfortunately we have to live with it for a whole lot longer.

Well...look on the bright side folks - at least we are going to get a new club shop

I hope Gary stays as we need stability i just mentioned u 19s coach as its common at East fife to employ rookie managers and maybe Gordan may be the one to work as nothing else has
and your comments are disrespectful to youth coaches they do a wonderful job
Dont no how you can blame Brian Mcneil he is not manager he is the physio so he cant be blamed here and yes his wife does fight his corner on here and does it well to be honest maybe Brians wife could be manager she gets her points across clearly thats what players may be missing

Agree what the manger said now its the players that are not doing there jobs and players flot and plubs we won't go down

groundsman
I hope Gary stays as we need stability i just mentioned u 19s coach as its common at East fife to employ rookie managers and maybe Gordan may be the one to work as nothing else has
and your comments are disrespectful to youth coaches they do a wonderful job
Dont no how you can blame Brian Mcneil he is not manager he is the physio so he cant be blamed here and yes his wife does fight his corner on here and does it well to be honest maybe Brians wife could be manager she gets her points across clearly thats what players may be missing

Groundsman, no-one is being disrespectful to youth coaches, they do a great job but the they are volunteer youth coaches. I fear the players may react differently to an succesful ex player (with lots of professional contacts) being their rookie manager than they would to a plumber/ butcher (whatever) who has run a youth team for a few years. I am unsure if you even go to matches as you would have seen Brian McNeil is not even the physio now. To your last point I wasn't blaming McNeil for anything other than he started the take over and was the one that employed a youth coach (and all his daft ideas that did not materialise) in the first place. I think to a man everyone thinks it was a big mistake and no-one I know could understand why he was employed.