Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Experienced manager for next season

Some one who knows the game

Re: Experienced manager for next season

Hunter
Some one who knows the game

Aye, what does an ex Scottish international know aboot fitba. Aw these experts in the crowd (and keyboard warriors on AFTN) who would easily pick a better manager for East Fife, and our board picks a bloody ex Scottish international, eh? Whatever next. I mean, how many ex Scottish internationalists have ever made the grade as a manager?

C'mon noo Hunter, oot with it. Who would be better manager?

100% correct RF. Gary is the right man and he will get it right, eventually.

Absolute rubbish!

We are lucky to have Naysmith, and hopefully he will be at the club for a long time.

Experienced manager??!!!

Just look at how successful guys like Jackie McNamara, Paul Hartley, Ian Murray etc have been. Naysmith will do just as well as those chaps given time. He has played at the highest level and worked under David Moyes, Walter Smith etc. Paul Hegarty is his assistant and he has coached and managed for many years.

Support the management team FFS! Chopping and changing managers every five minutes is not the answer, especially when we have someone who is a class act now in post.

Don't need another Pre-season of upheaval. Stick with Naysmith, but I would question the role of Hegarty. I don't buy into this experienced head to help the manager. Let Naysmith put his own ideas across to the players. Guys like Hegarty have had their team and probably the reason why Scottish football has been so dull for so long.
Every week Hegarty stands right on the touch line and constantly barks at players to sit in and what runs they should be making. Its all very trying to organise but eventually the players will just switch off. Hegarty for me is behind the negative set up of the team.

It was Gary's choice to bring in Hegarty, and he rates him highly. Heggie has vast experience in the game.

Oh and just another thing, the best manager we've had in my 20 years of watching EF was Steve Archibald.
Archibald was a former Scotland player who had played at a very high level. East Fife was his first managerial appointment i.e he didn't have "management experience" as such. Further we had a few difficult results before he managed to build his own team...and the rest, as they say, is history..

Support Gary Naysmith

Keep Naisy.....

End of the day he is working with what he has. I thoroughly believe he will get it right for next season.

All this stick and ridiculous posts over the weekend have been way over the top IMO.

YES yesterdays performance was far from acceptable but I can guarantee Gary and his management team will pick them up and we will go on. Lee Murray said as the start of the season that 8th was be good season, I still think we will do it. Aye the fixtures look tough and you wonder where a win will come from at times but I have every confidence in us picking up a few points and beating the unwanted play off.

At times like this I dont stop supporting the club, or stop going to games because of performances etc.....whatever happens to East Fife I will be there week in week out but it's the guys in the stand that are really damaging the club, the sheer p*sh coming out alot of the ''fans'' mouths at the minute makes you want to stay at home!

Anyway im going off on a tangent so I will leave at this....

Gary I hope you are here next season and bring in a few fresh faces, your not going to please everyone but hey thats football. I have faith in u.

Mon the Fife!!!

I think we should keep Gary but let Paul go, his record of management is not that great.

100% behind Naysmith. Let him build his own squad and bin the dross.

Sacking Naysmith would be the most ridiculous decision in a season filled with ridiculousness.

Gary signed an 18 month contract which takes him to the end of next season, whether we are in the 1st or 2nd division next season, and I'm sure he will be given the chance to build his own team and see his contract out. I like his honesty in his post match interviews but I've been very disappointed in the Football we are playing. I would gladly sacrifice silky soccer for getting points in the bag but we are now lumping the ball at every opportunity and it's not working. I'm not sticking up for Willie Aitchison as I was horrified by his initial appointment but to his credit the team played some decent football by keeping the ball on the deck.
The records of Willie and Gary are remarkably similar
Aitchison Played 14 Won 3 Draw 2 Lost 9 Goals for 11 Against 30 points 11
Naysmith Played 14 Won 4 Draw 2 Lost 8 Goals for 11 Against 21 points 14

Gary was left with a poor squad which Willie had assembled but with the backing of the Board he has been able to bring in a few players who were available in January. He shipped a few out and brought in Cowan, Rutkiewizc, O'Neill, McKenzie, Smith, Fisher, Henderson and Hughes returned. Few of these players have reproduced the level of performance we all know they are capable of. The players have shown they can raise their game and show the commitment, desire and team spirit which almost won a point against Rangers. I'm sure Gary covers all the bases and his preparation of the players is high quality but something is missing when these players don't seem up for the fight in the meaningful games against Airdrie and Arbroath. It's not as if these players are youngsters in the game. Most of the 11 yesterday have played regularly at this level or higher.
I really worry that we don't have the fight,spirit,desire or on pitch leadership to get us out of this mess. It's time for the players to step up to the plate individually and collectively to win their individual duels on the park and to work as a close unit to get the results required. C'mon Gary - no more Mr Nice Guy, give them the Fergie hair dryer treatment and get them fired up for the remaining 8 battles of the Season. If the players can't get themselves up for the fight, they don't deserve to wear the famous Black and Gold shirt !

I don't buy into this Aitchison had has playing good football myth. Meaningless passing amongst your back 4, into the midfield that then passed it sideways and backwards is not good football. Teams worked us out that under pressure we couldn't pass the ball out and teams just run over the top of the midfield. If you want to play a short passing game it's got to be done at pace and have an end product.
However lumping the ball up to Smith and Buchanan isn't any better. And this is where I think Hegarty comes into play. Naysmith needs to start bringing his own ideas into the training. With Hegarty there we will only ever be a compact defensive team. Hartley done it at Alloa by implementing a more professional training program from what he learned at his clubs.

Got to keep Gary but got to agree with tron un zak. i would ov liked an ex forward coming in,someone like Billy Dodds,whos helped out here before.Keven has been out the game for a wee while has he not,although he was managed by wee Jim and Walter at utd.That experience alone is worth something,however football has moved on,even in the lower leagues.

a million % behind naisy.

Christ cant believe we have people calling for Garrys head already,give the bloke a chance hes only been in the job a few months.

Keep Gary! too many people playing football manager... at this level you have yo win individual battles on the park which has nothing to do with the manager its up to the players and they haven't done that this year.

maybe someone like scott crabbe could help the strikers,having the boss and assistant been defenders isn't ideal.

Noisy Crossbar
a million % behind naisy.

Make mine the proverbial 110%

Keep with Naismith, need a period of stability and a decent stab at assembling a good squad of players.

It would also help greatly to be past the Rankine/Twigg era and into new ownership.Conspiracy theories and mistrust will continue as long as there is uncertainty at board level. Put that to bed and it's one major hurdle out of the way and then it should be just about the football.

Silly nonsense I'm afraid

Those that want an experienced manager next season will have one namely Gary Naismith.
Next year will be his second season in charge therefore he has EXPERIENCE as a Manager NUFF MORE TO SAY.

I would keep Gary though results havent gone our way and we are where we are because Gary was left with a team from Aitchison and we have the worse goals scored in the leauge looking at the leauge one table.
If we go down then im sure Gary will use his contacts and bring in players to east fife/Methil to build on the ones like Hughes, Paterson etc... that do put the effort on the park and get promotion back to leauge one but wont be easy as some teams in leauge two would have improved due to rangers last season and their form but i would rather stay up than go down like most people would if we are we will come back stronger as a team under Naismith.
east fife did make wrong decision to let go of players like Barr, Linn, McManus etc and they have all scored against us this year and we intent to let players to rival clubs in recent years go from the club and we are regretting this in its why we are where we are.
and also we lack a patnership and height upfront with buchanan to score enough goals up the another end, looking at clarke and smith they have yet to find the net for us and buchanan has scored more goals than anyone in the team tells you we are struggling and i dont want to use the word struggling i want us to be getting better as a team but we lack upfront and confidence infront of goal.

Keep Gary!!
i dont want to see chop and change and see another unexperience manager figure at the club so STICK DONT BIN. mon the Fife!

Where was his good contacts in January. Who were the excellent names that applied for the job. Gary easy option or yes man.

Contacts haha
Where was his good contacts in January. Who were the excellent names that applied for the job. Gary easy option or yes man.

probably still under contracts at other clubs and that would explain why we signed smith, Rutkinwicz and fisher as they were released and brought in O'Neil from his former club on-loan and McKenzie was avaliable for loan maybe when players become avaliable and out of contract in the summer we will be a better team and get the right players under a Gary Naysmith team in if whatever leauge we will be in but we do lack upfront like Templeman type of player in this team. maybe but GN was placed as a caretaker manager before he got the job permantely at Bayview and results back then were improving and we beat Airdrie away confortable before gary got the job and hughes left for dundee then returned back on-loan and results have now not been that good since.

but i thought with us not playing rangers anymore we will be alot fitter and focus on getting results from anyone in the leauge but hopefully things change next week at EEP or were in deep trouble if arbroath can find a win but its not so looking good.