Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bin or Keep

What players would you bin or keep for next season.

I would keep 4 players the rest can go.

Re: Bin or Keep

Keep
Campbell - signed a new contract
Paterson
Buchanan
McKenzie
Fisher
Brown
Mbu
Fash
Shaw
Falconer
Hughes - but more likely to stay with Dundee.

Out
Clarke
Thom
R.Stewart
J.Stewart
Rutkinwicz

Dunno
Durie
Johnstone
McBride
Smith
O'Neill
Cowan

Keep Management Team: Hegarty & GN
bring in Scott Crabbe as Forward Coach to the staff list.

Keep

Campbell
Paterson
Buchanan
McKenzie
Fisher
Brown
Mbu
Fash
R.Stewart
Rutkiewicz
McBride
Smith
Cowan
Johnstone
Hughes (Not in new managers plans so maybe he will sign)
O'Neil (Will more than likely return to Aberdeen)

The rest can go. I hope not too many go or we will have another season of putting a squad together.

Dubs
Keep

Campbell
Paterson
Buchanan
McKenzie
Fisher
Brown
Mbu
Fash
R.Stewart
Rutkiewicz
McBride
Smith
Cowan
Johnstone

The rest can go. I hope not too many go or we will have another season of putting a squad together.

So basically you would keep the vast majority of players who have performed so abjectly these past few months?

How long do you want to stay in the 4th division.? Get a grip FFS.

Keep

Hughes
buchanan
Campbell
Mbu
Paterson
McKenzie

The rest can go

to all the above who want to keep Mbu,you are fekkin blind.

Jesus wept.
They are all brutal apart from Patterson.

Keep:

Paterson
Buchanan
Campbell - already signed
Fisher

Not Sure:

Brown
McKenzie

Bin:

The rest.

Poo Shoot
Keep:

Paterson
Buchanan
Campbell - already signed
Fisher

Not Sure:

Brown
McKenzie

Bin:

The rest.

Agree with this, and add stephen Hughes to it.

The Dude
Dubs
Keep

Campbell
Paterson
Buchanan
McKenzie
Fisher
Brown
Mbu
Fash
R.Stewart
Rutkiewicz
McBride
Smith
Cowan
Johnstone

So basically you would keep the vast majority of players who have performed so abjectly these past few months?

How long do you want to stay in the 4th division.? Get a grip FFS.

Your right mate, you should take Garys place.

Important to remember that the majority on here rate both Johnston and Durie. Both poor players at this level. Same with Muir. Had guts but 2 left feet and no more a player than this current shower of charlatans.
Never understood that and a clear indication that East Fife fans are no closer to distinguishing between a good player and a bad one.

Keep Campbell. The rest can go drop down to the juniors where they might manage to find a team daft enough to sign them.

HoHoHo
to all the above who want to keep Mbu,you are fekkin blind.

Totally spot on he is the worst central defender Fife has ever had. No pace, useless in the air, wanders around the penalty box without bothering to mark an attacking player, doesn't make an effort.

I would only keep and build round that

Hughes
Buchanan
Campbell
Fisher
Fash

Given that all need to be kept until the end of the season, I think it must be unproductive to be making these posts given that the team is in a relegation battle and these are the very players who have to fight to keep us in this league.

Keep

Campbell Rutkiewicz Smith. Think they all signed for next season?
Buchanan
R Brown (Rumoured to be leaving)
Paterson

Bin the rest. Including Smith if he hasn't signed. Wouldn't keep any of the midfielders, none of them have a tackle or a pass in them. J Stewart is possibly the softest bottle merchant going.

Tamsun
Given that all need to be kept until the end of the season, I think it must be unproductive to be making these posts given that the team is in a relegation battle and these are the very players who have to fight to keep us in this league.

interesting message on twitter

Telstar Tam ‏@Bayview71 20 hrs
@Angusfifer @cocorobertson @EastFifeFC don't think I'll be back this season unless I'm told Fash ,Lennie, Barr,Grieve etc start in the team

Was told last week that the young lad Lennie is off to america on a scholarship
strange as he was a regular in Squauds and made his debut v Airdrie then never to be seen again. Grieve at juniors on loan but i guess its another 2 of the youngsters that not good enough. a bit like the other young lads not good enough but never had chances in first team. least the boys playing this season seem to be seen as good enough but they will need to up game to stay up

Poss Keep

Campbell - signed a new contract
Paterson - expect him to go
Buchanan
McKenzie
Fisher
Brown - expected to go injury might put other club off heard it another fife club
Mbu
Fash
Shaw = loan worth the gamble
Falconer - loan worth the gamble
Hughes - surprised if he stays
Rutkinwicz - player/coach role maybe

out
Clarke
Thom
R.Stewart
J.Stewart
Durie
Johnstone
McBride
Smith
O'Neill
Cowan

however I fear the team will consist of the junior boys getting trials in the last few weeks and a few of the above, the ones that have signed already, everyone else will be looking to go elsewhere, agents working overtime. I thought Naysmith would have used is contacts down south and got some decent young lads in. may still happen for next season....

Sluddens Goals

Disgraceful post with 7 games of the season left. Your expecting these guys to burst a gutt to keep us in the division. Fans like you and the rest of the twats that have joined in selecting who they would keep, to call yourselves fans is a joke. Dont give me all the crap the players get paid and should be trying to keep us in the league. Its about morale and this post is a disgrace and is harmful to the players. The players are lacking confidence and we should be trying to lift moral not posting shit like this. This post could have been more appropriate from a lino licker its so disrespectful and damaging not only to the players but the club.

Gladstone Fifer
Sluddens Goals

Disgraceful post with 7 games of the season left. Your expecting these guys to burst a gutt to keep us in the division. Fans like you and the rest of the twats that have joined in selecting who they would keep, to call yourselves fans is a joke. Dont give me all the crap the players get paid and should be trying to keep us in the league. Its about morale and this post is a disgrace and is harmful to the players. The players are lacking confidence and we should be trying to lift moral not posting shit like this. This post could have been more appropriate from a lino licker its so disrespectful and damaging not only to the players but the club.

Bollocks.
Folk are pissed off and rightly so.

Toddle off goody two shoes.

Gladstone Fifer
Sluddens Goals

swings and roundabouts. its their performances that have given people poor opinions of the players because to be brutally honest the whole bunch have been crap this season.look at the goal difference!

Well said Gladstone Fifer - this post should never have been allowed on this site. Yes it's a public forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but come on. In football terms I think this goes down as an 'own goal'!!!!

Gladstone Fifer
Sluddens Goals

The majority haven't burst a gut all season. Paul Willis couldn't even be bothered to stay and fight for his place. I don't think he is the only one who has an attitude problem either.

Tron
Gladstone Fifer
Sluddens Goals

The majority haven't burst a gut all season. Paul Willis couldn't even be bothered to stay and fight for his place. I don't think he is the only one who has an attitude problem either.

Trouble with you guys is you think you can say what you like behind your keyboards, or behind the anonymity of a crowd, but I bet not one of you would dare say the same things to a players face. Lowest of the low!

Real fan.
Tron
Gladstone Fifer
Sluddens Goals

Trouble with you guys is you think you can say what you like behind your keyboards, or behind the anonymity of a crowd, but I bet not one of you would dare say the same things to a players face. Lowest of the low!

You really dont get irony do you?

Real fan.
Tron
Gladstone Fifer
Sluddens Goals

And another thing - you say Willis can't even be bothered to stay and fight for his place, well what have you got to say about all the 'fans' on here saying they won't be back at Bayview? That is people who say they support the club, the club is in my blood, I have watched East Fife all my life, etc, etc etc. Is that not worse, walking away from something you say is dear to you? They remind me of babies greeting their eyse out, then magically stop greeting when they get what they want - a dummy tit! Maybe EF should issue them at the turnstiles?
Also, what have you got to say about all the other thousands upon thousands of players, all around the globe, who leave clubs? What makes Willis any different?
These 'fans' live in their wee dream world supposedly taking the moral high ground, but it is all right for them to decide what they want to do and not give a shit about anybody, or anything else!

Real fan.
Real fan.
Tron
Gladstone Fifer
Sluddens Goals

And another thing - you say Willis can't even be bothered to stay and fight for his place, well what have you got to say about all the 'fans' on here saying they won't be back at Bayview? That is people who say they support the club, the club is in my blood, I have watched East Fife all my life, etc, etc etc. Is that not worse, walking away from something you say is dear to you? They remind me of babies greeting their eyse out, then magically stop greeting when they get what they want - a dummy tit! Maybe EF should issue them at the turnstiles?
Also, what have you got to say about all the other thousands upon thousands of players, all around the globe, who leave clubs? What makes Willis any different?
These 'fans' live in their wee dream world supposedly taking the moral high ground, but it is all right for them to decide what they want to do and not give a shit about anybody, or anything else!

You know relationships go sour, people married for 40 or 50 years fall out of love, decide to pack it in and go their own separate ways. It happens. I saw my first game in 1968 and from peak average crowds of over 5000 in the early 70's we now have maybe 500 hardcore left.

I've stuck with this club for 46 years so please no lectures. If I decide to walk away now (and I'm still swithering) well that's my bloody business and nobody else's.

Terracing Now!
Real fan.
Real fan.
Tron
Gladstone Fifer
Sluddens Goals

You know relationships go sour, people married for 40 or 50 years fall out of love, decide to pack it in and go their own separate ways. It happens. I saw my first game in 1968 and from peak average crowds of over 5000 in the early 70's we now have maybe 500 hardcore left.

I've stuck with this club for 46 years so please no lectures. If I decide to walk away now (and I'm still swithering) well that's my bloody business and nobody else's.

But that is just it, you ARE making it everybody's business by broadcasting it on here! What makes you think I or anybody else is bothered aboot you leaving East Fife, your wife, your partner, your fancy woman, your fancy man maybe(?), nobody gives a hoot about what you do, so why are you so keen to tell the world? Strange!

Oh yes, and why should anybody be bothered about a footballers decision to leave a football club, that's his business, isn't it? Or is it different rules for them?

Your clearly bothered about it Ya numpty.
I like TN. His opinion matters more than yours and he makes more sense.

Real fan.
Terracing Now!
Real fan.
Real fan.
Tron
Gladstone Fifer
Sluddens Goals

But that is just it, you ARE making it everybody's business by broadcasting it on here! What makes you think I or anybody else is bothered aboot you leaving East Fife, your wife, your partner, your fancy woman, your fancy man maybe(?), nobody gives a hoot about what you do, so why are you so keen to tell the world? Strange!

Oh yes, and why should anybody be bothered about a footballers decision to leave a football club, that's his business, isn't it? Or is it different rules for them?

I said nothing about players leaving and they can do what they hell they like. They come and go. Always have done, always will do.

But fair enough you don't give a shit about whether I go to any more matches or not but the club and those who are running it should. What do you think our average attendance next season will be as a mid table 4th tier club? Do you think that the long-standing fans who have had enough will be replaced by new eager young ones? I think we both know the answer to that.

Adam Ant
Gladstone Fifer
Sluddens Goals

Bollocks.
Folk are pissed off and rightly so.

Toddle off goody two shoes.

I have not complained about any other posts and im as pissed of as any fan about our season. Its a disgrace fans stating who should be punted with 7games left. We read about players not playing for the manager etc.These posts are not going to motivate players to play for the jersey or the fans.So Adam lets hope the players can "stand and deliver" performances to keep us in division.

Terracing Now!
Real fan.
Terracing Now!
Real fan.
Real fan.
Tron
Gladstone Fifer
Sluddens Goals

I said nothing about players leaving and they can do what they hell they like. They come and go. Always have done, always will do.

But fair enough you don't give a shit about whether I go to any more matches or not but the club and those who are running it should. What do you think our average attendance next season will be as a mid table 4th tier club? Do you think that the long-standing fans who have had enough will be replaced by new eager young ones? I think we both know the answer to that.

Well, my son for one is an eager young fan. But what kind of message are you sending out to other possibly eager young fans? I think we both know the answer to that don't we! That's maybe why I don't give a hoot (not what you said I wrote ), about you going to any more matches!

[/quote]Well, my son for one is an eager young fan. But what kind of message are you sending out to other possibly eager young fans? I think we both know the answer to that don't we! That's maybe why I don't give a hoot (not what you said I wrote ), about you going to any more matches! [/quote]

Absolute nonsense - My son (who is 10) has a season ticket with me, he used to be quite eager to go to away games also but no longer wants to go, my friends brother takes his son (who must be about 7) to all the home games but he decided he didn't want to go to the Ayr game. The reason for the kids no longer wanting to go is the sub standard dross which we have to put up with week in/week out.

It's difficult to try and get a kid excited about going to the football when the team don't look like they even have it in them to put up a fight (Arbroath and Ayr the last 2 weeks being prime examples!!) If the club want to ensure kids will come then then the only way of doing this is with a decent team!!

TE
Well, my son for one is an eager young fan. But what kind of message are you sending out to other possibly eager young fans? I think we both know the answer to that don't we! That's maybe why I don't give a hoot (not what you said I wrote ), about you going to any more matches! [/quote]

Absolute nonsense - My son (who is 10) has a season ticket with me, he used to be quite eager to go to away games also but no longer wants to go, my friends brother takes his son (who must be about 7) to all the home games but he decided he didn't want to go to the Ayr game. The reason for the kids no longer wanting to go is the sub standard dross which we have to put up with week in/week out.

It's difficult to try and get a kid excited about going to the football when the team don't look like they even have it in them to put up a fight (Arbroath and Ayr the last 2 weeks being prime examples!!) If the club want to ensure kids will come then then the only way of doing this is with a decent team!![/quote]

As I said above to TN, I wonder how much of the reason for him not wanting to go, is the vibes his dad is putting out? I think we know the answer to that as well! My son used to be 7yrs old as well (believe it or not, in fact, so was I!), which was about 10 years ago, my son that is. Cast your mind back to then and you will remember that we got relegated from Division 2. It didn't deter my son then, or during any of the seasons since then and I would say that was because I encouraged him to keep going. Are you doing that? I don't think so going by the tone of your post. In fact, you seem to take great delight in the fact your son doesn't want to go!

This may be an unpopular opinion but I actually think we'd be doing a lot better if Aitchison was still with us - or certainly some of the players he brought to the club.
Dutot, in my opinion, really looked a class act at times and Buchanan and Tuta, given a run in the team, could have been lethal right now.
In fact, I've got absolutely no idea why Dutot in particular was bombed out of the club.
Willis also has the wee bit creativity and drive forward that I think we're missing.

Was actually thinking you had a point there until I got to the part about Willis which destroyed your post completely.

Real fan.
TE
Well, my son for one is an eager young fan. But what kind of message are you sending out to other possibly eager young fans? I think we both know the answer to that don't we! That's maybe why I don't give a hoot (not what you said I wrote ), about you going to any more matches!

It's difficult to try and get a kid excited about going to the football when the team don't look like they even have it in them to put up a fight (Arbroath and Ayr the last 2 weeks being prime examples!!) If the club want to ensure kids will come then then the only way of doing this is with a decent team!![/quote]

As I said above to TN, I wonder how much of the reason for him not wanting to go, is the vibes his dad is putting out? I think we know the answer to that as well! My son used to be 7yrs old as well (believe it or not, in fact, so was I!), which was about 10 years ago, my son that is. Cast your mind back to then and you will remember that we got relegated from Division 2. It didn't deter my son then, or during any of the seasons since then and I would say that was because I encouraged him to keep going. Are you doing that? I don't think so going by the tone of your post. In fact, you seem to take great delight in the fact your son doesn't want to go![/quote]

Me taking great delight in my son not wanting to go could not be further from the truth!! He isn't too bad when it's at Bayview as it's only a 5 minute walk but off the top of my head I had to coax him to go to Arbroath last week, Stenny (the 1st time when Stonie scored) and Forfar this season. I'm trying to ensure he grows up a Fife fan and not one of the bigot brothers like every other kid seems to support.

I can only recall us playing well a handful of times this season and whilst as a grown man you get used to this, it's difficult for a kid to sit through this every week!!

In all honesty I wouldn't be that disappointed if we did go down this season, at least it'll be easier to take the wee man to Bayview on a Saturday if we're in the basement league and might actually win now and again!!

Pin the manger he's crap and no good he just got the job cos we beat aridrie away

Good Lord
Was actually thinking you had a point there until I got to the part about Willis which destroyed your post completely.

True about Dutot though. Dunno what goes on behind the scenes but we're in cloudcuckooland if we think he wasn't a good enough player for us.

A Trialist
This may be an unpopular opinion but I actually think we'd be doing a lot better if Aitchison was still with us - or certainly some of the players he brought to the club.
Dutot, in my opinion, really looked a class act at times and Buchanan and Tuta, given a run in the team, could have been lethal right now.
In fact, I've got absolutely no idea why Dutot in particular was bombed out of the club.
Willis also has the wee bit creativity and drive forward that I think we're missing.
Agree with u there mate (apart from Willis part), thought Aitchison brought in some good players. Buchanan, Hughes, Tuta, Dutot, Naysmith and Robbie Neilson. Who's to say he wouldn't have brought in anymore gems?

What happened with Nade as he was clear to play in January
Who let him go Gary or Lee
Seems to be doing great at Dundee with a so caled top young manager
We could do with him one

TE

Me taking great delight in my son not wanting to go could not be further from the truth!! He isn't too bad when it's at Bayview as it's only a 5 minute walk but off the top of my head I had to coax him to go to Arbroath last week, Stenny (the 1st time when Stonie scored) and Forfar this season. I'm trying to ensure he grows up a Fife fan and not one of the bigot brothers like every other kid seems to support.

I can only recall us playing well a handful of times this season and whilst as a grown man you get used to this, it's difficult for a kid to sit through this every week!!

In all honesty I wouldn't be that disappointed if we did go down this season, at least it'll be easier to take the wee man to Bayview on a Saturday if we're in the basement league and might actually win now and again!!

Fair enough, I guess I was being a bit hard on you there, sorry. I know we haven't played well in a lot of games, particularly the last couple of games. I don't know why that has happened, because it can't be argued that we were unlucky to lose against Rangers and the tactics were spot on. To all those who have been saying that it was against a poor Rangers team, I just say to them, check the stats at the top of the table.

I think Naysmith deserves the time to mould the team his way and that can only happen if he gets time to do that. He is learning all the time and we shouldn't forget, it is not only for East Fife's benefit that he can turn things around, it is also for his future in the game as a coach.

Hard as it is to see the team losing, I think we supporters should do just that, support. It's the only thing we can do to positively help the team and club.

About your son, I had to convince my son to go sometimes when he didn't want to see us lose again. He played for the Young Fifers and I used that as a reason to keep supporting East Fife. The YF team he was in, were getting beaten fairly regularly at times and I asked him what he would think if I and all the other dads, stopped going to watch them because of them getting beaten too often. It was like, how could I do that to him, so I said well why should we stop going to watch East Fife then? They are our local team and only team, they are part of us really, just the same as the YF. It's about loyalty and he learned what that meant.

east fife tiles
What happened with Nade as he was clear to play in January
Who let him go Gary or Lee
Seems to be doing great at Dundee with a so caled top young manager
We could do with him one

Lee Murray said he didn't personally think he was much good. I'd wager he's probably far better than all our other options for partnering Liam though, seems to be doing alright at the top of the Championship whilst we head to League Two...

Real fan.
TE

Fair enough, I guess I was being a bit hard on you there, sorry. I know we haven't played well in a lot of games, particularly the last couple of games. I don't know why that has happened, because it can't be argued that we were unlucky to lose against Rangers and the tactics were spot on. To all those who have been saying that it was against a poor Rangers team, I just say to them, check the stats at the top of the table.

I think Naysmith deserves the time to mould the team his way and that can only happen if he gets time to do that. He is learning all the time and we shouldn't forget, it is not only for East Fife's benefit that he can turn things around, it is also for his future in the game as a coach.

Hard as it is to see the team losing, I think we supporters should do just that, support. It's the only thing we can do to positively help the team and club.

About your son, I had to convince my son to go sometimes when he didn't want to see us lose again. He played for the Young Fifers and I used that as a reason to keep supporting East Fife. The YF team he was in, were getting beaten fairly regularly at times and I asked him what he would think if I and all the other dads, stopped going to watch them because of them getting beaten too often. It was like, how could I do that to him, so I said well why should we stop going to watch East Fife then? They are our local team and only team, they are part of us really, just the same as the YF. It's about loyalty and he learned what that meant.

I think it must be difficult to form a bond with East Fife as a young fan now, certainly far more difficult than it was when I was young and the main reason being that soulless stadium.

So if Lee didnt fancy him do we have a chairman who is picking the team now or what ??? very muddy ground if thats the case !! Nade ,Liam and Cedric compared to fash ,liam and Clark you choose ????
Given that Paul Hartley is putting him into his starting line up thats a huge error on someone at East Fife

So our chairman isn't allowed a personal opinion now! Christ on a bike!
Anyone who has left the club since Naysmith took over has left either because Gary didn't want them to stay or because they didn't want to stay! Not the chair's decision, not the board's decision but a management or player decision.
I really do dispair at times.
From what I was told Nade was starting to make big demands on wages & was a disruptive influence in the dressing room, Dutot didnt want to play in a reserve game as it was too cold & Tuta didn't even turn up for training if it didnt suit him! Now make up your mind as why they are not here
Of course this could all be hearsay & I am way off the mark but why shouldn't I just make things up when everyopne else appears to be doing it!

east fife tiles
So if Lee didnt fancy him do we have a chairman who is picking the team now or what ??? very muddy ground if thats the case !! Nade ,Liam and Cedric compared to fash ,liam and Clark you choose ????
Given that Paul Hartley is putting him into his starting line up thats a huge error on someone at East Fife

I cannot believe Gary chose to keep pat Clarke and get rid of Nade, absolute ridiculous decision.

Well mr eastfifetiles

Everybody that has an opinion on a player is picking the team??????????

Got to agree with wtf? over his comments about Nade.He was the same at Hearts.Ask any ov there supporters what they thought ov him.As for the other two,never rated them ether,or for that matter the moose.We maybe should ov tried to buy a striker in January.Someone like Jordan White ov Stirling,however £££ are tight at any club and were no different.Hopefully the next striker we bring in,will hit the ground running,and form a partnership that will hopefully score goals ti keep us up.IF we can get one not attached to another club that is.

enfifer
Got to agree with wtf? over his comments about Nade.He was the same at Hearts.Ask any ov there supporters what they thought ov him.As for the other two,never rated them ether,or for that matter the moose.We maybe should ov tried to buy a striker in January.Someone like Jordan White ov Stirling,however £££ are tight at any club and were no different.Hopefully the next striker we bring in,will hit the ground running,and form a partnership that will hopefully score goals ti keep us up.IF we can get one not attached to another club that is.

Well we did bring in another striker. You may not have noticed though. Kevin Smith was his name though I think we have a case for suing under the trade descriptions act.

enfifer

ask Dundee fans how they rate Nade, or perhaps one of pat Clarke's many teams...

Who gives a fuck what fans of other teams think of Clarke,he is our player and has been a huge let down.The strike rate from our "strikers" is a disgrace.Tuta,Clarke,Smith,Austin and Drummond have mustered ONE goal between them,and that was a goalkeeping howler.Nevermind other teams fans maybe rate them all very highly.How comforting.

I was actually saying pat Clarke is shite ha. Don't understand why Gary has kept on such awfull strikers bar fash and Liam

As we are doomed anyway I would give Austin an extended run up front for the rest of the season to see if he can really cut it at senior level. The rest bar Liam (assuming he'll stay which I doubt) should be punted.

Terracing Now!
As we are doomed anyway I would give Austin an extended run up front for the rest of the season to see if he can really cut it at senior level. The rest bar Liam (assuming he'll stay which I doubt) should be punted.

let's remember fassh is still a young gu, has potential unlike all these carp journey men we seem to have signed if late.