Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gary Naysmith out ASAP

I for one think it's an absolute disgrace that Gary is still in a job. Never in my life have I been so disappointed by the performance of some of the players this season. No desire. No passion. No leadership. We need change. Lee Murray needs to get his thumb out his blue nose arse and sort this out. I'll not be back to Bayview til this is sorted out. It's laughable.

Re: Gary Naysmith out ASAP

Nope. Still behind Naysmith. We need a massive clear out and let him build his own squad in League 2. Massive reconstruction job needed.

Nah got to keep him.

cant believe others suggest different at this stage

I'd keep Gary,although his tactics yesterday were fuckin auwful.Wan up front,when we needed ti win the game.Mind boggling.However,did any ov you guys see what was happening in the dug oot area?Gary was talking to Hegerty un the other guy,un they were just fuckin ignoring um.WHAT THE FUCKS THAT AU ABOOT!!!Hegerty hardly looked it Naysmith the whole game.You see other managers un the coachies always standing the gither,discussing things,making decisions,making changes,but Naysmith looks like a wee laudy,pitten iz word in un the ither two er no even interested un what hes saying.Well it looks like that from where am sitting onywy.Un this is no the first game ether.WHO is the fuckin manager o this team???

Personally I don't think Naysmoth has the balls nor the gifts for the job.
He certainly doesn't have the management experience but that comes at what expense?
Anyone who has had the misfortune to witness his first 11 in action will agree that this is the worst East Fife team for many years and that's saying something.

Gifts should be GUTS btw.

luke
Gifts should be GUTS btw.

Gary has actually made the team worse from the beginning of the season and I never thought that was possible. Crap signings, crap tactics, crap results. I for one won't be coming back. We need an experienced manager from now till the end of the season!! I won't be putting up with this and won't be renewing my season ticker

martin black
Yep usual high tone of debate on the shite site. Anonymous faceless wonders spouting from the safety of hiding under their hedges. Nothing ever positive no solutions just negativity yes still here Michael you still under your hedge

Ok the solution is simple. We have to bring in an experienced manager now to build for next season. If you can think of anything Gary has done that proves his capabilities, then I'd be happy to hear them. Not having a go, would love to hear otherwise.

Basically we are fucked as Gary got an 18 month contract. So he won't get the boot. Looks like relegation and with no characters like Div Muir from last seasons fight we are in big trouble.

I agree with a lot that has been said, the be all and end all is football results. WINNING is what it is all about. I would never criticise tactics or formations if the end product was results. The manager of any football team will be judged on results and nothing else. The style of football being played under this current regime would have most football enthusiasts taking to the hills. I have reflected on the last fortnight and I can only come up with one answer the players are cheating every person involved with East Fife football club. If they had one ounce of balls they would tell the chairman they don't deserve to be paid for the last two weeks efforts. The manager said publicly he held two sessions aimed at clearing the air, and asked the players to step up to the plate. Well if that was stepping up to the plate heaven help us. we should just wave the white flag now. The players appear just to accept defeat and just allow opposition players to trample all over them. Hard to see where we go from here as the manager said you can talk all day, but if you don't do your talking on the park the results and performances like yesterday will continue. A very sad and depressing time for all who hold East Fife football club close to their heart. Surely these players must have a conscience to see how many good people they are letting down week after week. Most fans can take getting beat if the opposition has decent quality but that Ayr team was bang average and we gifted them 5 goals. What I find harder to take is we have to rely on these same imposters to get us out this mess. HEAVEN HELP US.

For the ppl saying he needs time to bring in his own players is a joke he has basically got an entire new midfield with oneill fisher mckenzie and smith brought in 2 defenders in cowan and the big centre half and he already knew the rest of the team

I am very unhappy about the performance yesterday. It seems to me that the players are not playing for the manager, it's clear as day. We're playing horrible football and yet the results are getting worse. Sick of these post match interviews when "Mr honest" spews a lot of shite cliches. I won't be back this season!! Please Mr Murray it's not to late.

said it from the start and I say it again, Hegarty is not the man for the job. The thing is Naysmith obviously relies on him, as another poster said, when you watch them in the dugout area, they stand apart.
I would get rid of Hegarty, which costs us nothing, as he is supposed to be volunteering his services. Then let the gaffer sink or swim. To much old pals acts around in all of football.
I would rather see Gary try things on his own with his knowledge and experience, before I start throwing the mud at him personally.
As for a poster on another post talking about Billy Dodds, NFW, he is not a liked person in Scottish football.
Surely Gary, has others he can tap into, and put over that info himself.
I would like to give him a till the end of the season, as there isn't much more damage that can be done now anyway. then clear out and start again. Maybe he is jus to a nice guy to be a manager!!

We are brutal at the moment but this stinking run has been on the cards for years. Terrible appointment after terrible appointment from the previous board, followed on by the terrible appointment of Aitchison at the start of this season. How guys like Durie, Johnston, Willis etc managed to blag themselves new contracts is one of lifes big mysteries and until a Fife manager can select a squad that isn't laced with such pish we'll have to reserve judgement. Unfortunately it looks like that will now have to happen in the fourth tier, but this disaster has been on the cards since August, the club banged on about a "revolution" whilst we re-signed failures from the season before, attempted to sign Nade whilst handing out deals to all his pals, and became utterly transfixed from boardroom to playing staff on four matches against Rangers as if these games were somehow a big reward to Fife fans.

Having said all that, these mistakes will hopefully all have been learned from and yet another complete overhaul of board and management would only lead to new people making more new mistakes. I think the board and manager would at least owe it to us to stick around and win League 2 next season.

I seen the players not willing to play for US the fans, feck all mr murray can do about that. Its basic mistakes being made that cost us. Defenders who don't defend and strikers who don't score goals. Sounds as if naysmith is having to teach them basic defending technique they should have learnt at the school.
to suggest change of manager at this stage is pure fantasy, will never happen with 7 games to go

Keep it going lads and yet another manager will walk away from East Fife. The manager needs support, but that word seems to be unknown to some of you. How many will that be who have resigned since 2008? Only one was sacked and that was John Robertson. He was also branded as no good by a few supporters of course, in particular a one Mr SPF at the time.

We should get the players playing a couple of games this week instead of training, to try and build up some kind of team work, as that is the problem. Too many changes in the team from week to week, unfortunately a lot of them due to injuries, but glaringly obviously, too many new faces since January and no intuition between them on the park. It looks like Gary has tried to prevent us losing games by putting out a defensive formation, but it is not working I'm afraid. It seemed to be working at the start, but at this level, these tactics don't work because the opposition just boot long balls into the danger area and our defensive midfield is just by-passed. The best form of defence in this league is to attack, unless it is against a better quality team like Rangers who prefer to play through their midfield. Being defensive just does NOT work against the big hoofs up the park teams.

What is the point in sacking Naysmith? He knows how shite the squad is and who to bin. So, say a new manager comes in. Players will raise their game and we might be in danger of giving new deals to dross like Durie and Johnstone... Again.

A new manager wont make a difference.

I can see why people are still backing manager but things are not looking good for him! Apart from the 2 games as caretaker we have gradually gotten worse and that is unacceptable! I agree that we need to give him time but how much time do you give someone? Forget his history as a player as it means sweet fuck all now! The fact is we are getting worse under Naysmith and if results don't get any better than what they've been lately would you take the risk and keep him for basement league next season? Tactics are pish and team just giving up Yday would suggest he's not up to the challenge.I'm undecided on manager at moment.

Yes manger out he's no good shound get the sack if we have not won after away to Forfar

Not only do we need rid of Naismith we need rid of those that appointed him

The team that played on saturday would struggle to beat any team in the scottish leagues.We have no cutting edge in fact its hard to put into words how crap we are.I left after 45 minutes the first time since supporting the club from the mid seventies.Most people appear to blame the players but the management put them on the park with tactics?.The standard of football in this league is really poor and it shows how bad we are.I cannot see how the current management can turn this round this season or next.

topper
The team that played on saturday would struggle to beat any team in the scottish leagues.We have no cutting edge in fact its hard to put into words how crap we are.I left after 45 minutes the first time since supporting the club from the mid seventies.Most people appear to blame the players but the management put them on the park with tactics?.The standard of football in this league is really poor and it shows how bad we are.I cannot see how the current management can turn this round this season or next.

And yet there are some people who think that a drop to the 3rd division could be a good thing in that we can regroup, take the league by storm next season etc. One step back to take two steps forward and all that crap.

Relegation will be a disaster full stop. The previous two relegations took us five years to get back up. It would be at least that again especially if the current crop of useless players masquerading as footballers form the bulk of the squad.

Terracing Now!
topper

And yet there are some people who think that a drop to the 3rd division could be a good thing in that we can regroup, take the league by storm next season etc. One step back to take two steps forward and all that crap.

Relegation will be a disaster full stop. The previous two relegations took us five years to get back up. It would be at least that again especially if the current crop of useless players masquerading as footballers form the bulk of the squad.

unfortunately relegation is going to happen, can anyone see a way out.. yes I know win, really is that gonna happen, doubtful.

There are only a couple you would keep and moves should be made to sort them out before the end of the season, sort out players for next season and plan for league one in the unlikely event we survive, at least have a squad capable of competing in league one, so to compete and push for league two, however take a big sell to get players to come to EF as everyone has seen the football is poor.

Next season though I fear will be much the same no players in by June, scraping for what's left, well apart from the Junior players they bringing in on trial, 30 year olds always played in the Juniors tells a story.

Could get Drinkell back, with his contacts, look at all the French boys awesome. lmao.

Lets see what happens tonight in the reserve game. I would have the first team out playing tonight, but I expect yet more trialists, of a lesser calibre than required.