Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
'84 squad at Bayview

Many of the players from the '84 squad will be attending Saturday's match and having lunch upstairs.
We are trying to put together a supplement for the programme and it would be great to include fans memories of that team, the individual players/management or specific games and events from that season.
It can be as little or as much as you like but we would certainly like these players to know we remember that season.

Re: '84 squad at Bayview

My main memory was the 2 away wins near the end V The Pars then Arbroath

If memory serves me right, Gordon Durie had a penalty saved then netted the rebound with about 10 mins left at Dunfermline for the Fife to win 1-0.

Next week, 0-0 with a few mins to go at Arbroath. Frustrated, I started walking up to behind the top goal, thinking its not going to happen when Gordon gets the break of the ball and hammers it home!! I ran all the way back to the vast hoards at the halfway line, not believing it!

Again if memory serves me right, we won 3-0 in the final home game to send us up (think it was Montrose?) then spent all evening up the park scoring the 3 goals over and over again with "WE ARE GOING UP" singing round my head!

The last game of the season was at Stranraer and wasn't allowed to go!!

Michael Gill
My main memory was the 2 away wins near the end V The Pars then Arbroath

If memory serves me right, Gordon Durie had a penalty saved then netted the rebound with about 10 mins left at Dunfermline for the Fife to win 1-0.

Next week, 0-0 with a few mins to go at Arbroath. Frustrated, I started walking up to behind the top goal, thinking its not going to happen when Gordon gets the break of the ball and hammers it home!! I ran all the way back to the vast hoards at the halfway line, not believing it!

Again if memory serves me right, we won 3-0 in the final home game to send us up (think it was Montrose?) then spent all evening up the park scoring the 3 goals over and over again with "WE ARE GOING UP" singing round my head!

The last game of the season was at Stranraer and wasn't allowed to go!!

Just checked, as I was just curious!!

It was 3-0 v Queens Park in the last home game, not Montrose.

Also We won 9 out of the last 11 matches, only a 2-1 defeat to Berwick and a 0-0 with QOS that blotted a great record! This included a 5-1 win at Central Park!! Think I remember this but it will be black & White memories!!

For younger fans - Yes we did beat Cowdenbeath once!!

Mike and anyone else with something to contribute,please write a few sentences or paragraphs and email me.

Remember the dunfermlne game as we had been thrown out of the ground by a jobsworth policeman only to be allowed back in to see Durie score. Pretty sure it was Jim P`s fault we were thrown out! Was also at Stranraer game and I'm sure either the Spencer's bus broke down or the driver won some money at the bookies and ended up drunk!

Send it to me as a memory with more detail and how you have escaped JP's influence and become an upstanding citizen.

Regarding the 1-0 win over Arbroath,apart from Durie`s goal there were two other incidents that are forever etched in my memory,Colin O`Brien was subbed late in the game to waste time,he made the slowest walk ever across the park saluting the Fife fans that were chanting his name all the way.
Earlier on though,the linesman on the coo shed side,packed to the rafters with EF fans, was struck on the back by a flying pie,he acted like a big Jessie and flagged over the ref to greet about it,the ref just told him to get on with it much to the amusement of the ecstatic away fans.
I can exclusively reveal the lino was a Mr W Reilly,father of oor own Kerriann.
I think the guy called Tam threw the pie which Glen Walker had just bought for him.

A roller coaster season, which included the great cup win against His, and home hammerings by Albion Rovers. Looks like the early promise would end up fruitless until the inspired signing of Bobby Beastie Russell, on loan from Raith Rovers, gelled the team and got the best out of Gordon DurE who would fire us on to promotion

I didn't throw the pie but I know who did!

After we beat Hibs at Bayview in the Scottish cup we faced stennie on the Saturday, and there was a big crowd because there was a voucher for the Celtic game for the next round of the cup. Guess what we got beat as per normal when a big crowd comes to watch us. I think we went on a terrible run after that Hibs game and never won for 5 or 6 games, including a 6 nil humping from the hoops. Then we went on the best run I can ever mind east fife having, we won 8 out of our last 9 games to clinch promotion. Gordon Durie and Stevie Kirk were brilliant for us at that time.

Any word on which players will be attending yet?

Gordon scott , will be . for sure .