Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Where do we go from here ...........

...is it down to the lake I fear ! (Haircut 100)
Wanted to post last night but I was so pissed off by what I witnessed yesterday I thought I had to let the dust settle first.
Having been at every game this season except the two games at Stranraer and the second game at Ibrox, I would consider myself to be in a decent position to make comment about this season.
A number of mistakes have been made this season on and off the park but where does our Club go from here ?
I've no doubt Gary Naysmith will be the Manager next season with 12 months of his contract to run and I couldn't see the Club paying him the required compensation even if they wanted to. He has been very open and honest in post match interviews and 'meet the fans' meetings. We are also told he puts in a lot of hours and works hard for the Club and I don't doubt that. However, rarely have I seen a group of less motivated players who show little desire to bust a gut for the cause and this in part is the Managers responsibility. Is this caused in part by the fact that a number of players know that he tried to offload them in the January transfer window and they know they are not part of his plans and won't be at Bayview next season ?
Our formation/team selections for many games has been very defensive minded with defenders often playing in midfield. Is this the result of having Naysmith & Hegarty as the management team, both defenders in their day. How receptive have the defenders at the Club been to their ideas and how much have they learned ? Doesn't seem a lot, from where I watch the games cause Hegarty is always telling players where to be and they both continually have to shout to players 'cover !' Positioning etc should be worked on in training and players shouldn't continually need to be told where to be and what to do. Players not interested or coaching ?
It is all very well saying that the squad left behind by Aitchison has been Gary's downfall and agreed that it hasn't helped but at the same time few of the players Gary has brought in have really been any better than what we had. Rutkiewizc, McKenzie, O'Neill, Cowan, Hughes, Fisher, Smith etc have all come in and not exactly strengthened the team.
Corners, free kicks and throw ins. No invention, lack of movement and lack of basic ideas of how to create space. Again two defenders who have throughout their careers tried to deny opponents space rather than create it. How often this season have corners and free kicks not got past the first defender ? How often have throw ins gone straight to a opponent who often doesn't even have to challenge for it ?
It is rumoured that Paul Hegarty is doing the job on a voluntary basis. Personally I feel Gary needs a more attack minded Assistant who can make midfielders and strikers better and provide a more balanced outlook from the bench. At the moment we look to not lose a goal which we have shown we aren't great at doing. In his post match interview yesterday he says that the strikers have to improve the goals to chances ratio which is true but what help are they getting from the Defensive management to make them better ? I'm sure Gary has a number of contacts of a more attacking persuasion who would be keen to join him at Bayview.
I believe the following have already signed for next season - Campbell, Fash, Barr , Brown, Smith, Rutkiwizc. Who else would we want to resign ? Paterson ? Buchanan ? Hughes ? Fisher ?
Our big problem is going to be who will be willing to come if we go down to division 2. I'm sure the club have spoken to a number of players with a view to playing at Bayview next season but no doubt they will be waiting to see which League we will be playing in. This gives other teams a march on us as they are now in a position where they can guarantee division 1 football and make offers to these same players. I feel one year deals are also part of the problem but can understand why clubs like ours offer them. By January players who will be out of contract at the end of the season can negotiate a pre contract elsewhere and if they do so, are they really too bothered what happens at their present club knowing they won't be there next season ? You would hope professional pride would ensure they gave their all but too many players see it as a way of earning money and the fact that many players are not local mean they have no real connection with the club.
Like all fans I hope we somehow manage to escape relegation again and Gary is able to bring a number of players in that he can mould into a team with desire ability and motivation to get our Club off its knees. If we do go down, I worry about the quality he can bring in and sadly can't see it being an easy route out of the basement.

Re: Where do we go from here ...........

Fife Junior FL are awaiting your application to join up the season after next bye bye.