Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
season just past

Observations on the season just past:
Paterson - good shot stopper but doesn't command his box at corners or set pieces. Would give him pass marks for the season.
Durie - steady at full back. Was replaced occasionally by players who were not any better. Good energy. His game was not helped by being moved about into different positions. Pass marks for work rate.
Thom - I was sceptical at start of season. Good in air but a bit erratic in the tackle at times with borderline yellow/red card challenges.borderline pass/fail for season.
Mbu - bit unpredictable at times but generally had more good games than bad. Looks a bit cumbersome at times but did a reasonably good job. Pass marks for season
Campbell - very underrated. The amount of headers and clearances he makes generally seams to go unnoticed. Definite pass marks for season.
Rutkievitz - not enough playing time to give a fair judgement on him. Been ok in games he has played.
Johnstone - Transitionfrom local amateurs to first division too much. Too inconsistent this season but same as Durie, not helped by playing different positions.
J. Stewart - lacking in most areas, passing, tackling, general work rate. Surprised manager has stuck with him these past weeks. No pass marks.
Hughes - no doubt he has telnet and fine touches but lacks a bit in stamina, needs busy players alongside him. Lacks a bit support in midfield. Pass marks.
O'Neil - hasn't shown enough on the park. Don't think he has looked like scoring a goal recently. No pass marks.
Brown - good work rate. A big miss since his injury. Pass marks up to his injury.
Barr - done well when given a start. Pity about his recent injury. Pass marks in his few starts so far.
Fisher - promised a lot in his first game. Fairly industrious in middle. Unfortunately injured. Too few games to judge.
Austin - good on both ground and air but his inexperience shows quite often. Could be an asset if given time.
Buchanan - our only outright goal scorer. Sometimes tries too much and loses ball. Definite pass marks.
Smith - definitely needs a couple of goals to kick start his career. Tends to overdo things often. No pass marks.
Clarke - was well thought of when he arrived at Bayview. Maybe if he had got early goals he would have faired better in the long run. No pass marks.
R. Stewart - did not show much in the games he was given. Showed up well in reserve games but did not carry it through.

G. Naysmith - deserves a chance to see what he can do with players he brings in but not sure if there was any improvement from previous manager in results or style of play. Not sure of his midfield choices at times, especially when Durie and Johnstone lined up in midfield recently.

Any comments out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: season just past

I agree with most, Campbell is an incredible asset to us in my opinion.
Johnstone, however, is utter useless. "Transition from amateur" isn't an excuse for him considering this is what, his 4th season?

I think Durie could've been a very accomplished full-back if he wasn't stuck at bayview all this time.

I agree for the most part except sreven hughes....grossly unfit not a ninety minute man.liam buchanan.yes hes scored goals but watch him the guy has no finesse at all, constantly losses the ball, and generally under delivers. said this for years WE NEED HEIGHT UP FRONT!!

Bizzle
WE NEED HEIGHT UP FRONT!!

Are you fucking stupid?

I think height upfront is needed we just punt balls to Liam buchanan who is like my height. Chris templeman would be ideal but he has dipped in form and didn't do much when he was here.
Another goalie in this squad is another weakness with andrews leaving we didn't replace him, only have young guys who rarely will get games. we need experience you would of thought we would of brought in like Scott fox or Sean murdoch with experience to help paterson and Hamilton is injured so our squad looks rather small and paterson will feel whatever performance he shows he won't be replaced as we have 16 year old keeper on the bench you would of thought having two keepers under this form is vital and help our confiendance I think next season would like a experience older keeper to help the defence out better we miss John Dodds or Mark Ridgers they have been great in the past.
Also I think Johnstone and Mcbride have dipped this season they don't look the same players anymore and I think it will be their last that's what I think and J.stewart defo worst midfielder I have seen and signing for east fife was too much for him, he's struggling in this midfield.
Cowan and Mckenzie don't add much either makes you wonder they actual played in the championship.
But I will stick by GN whatever leauge we are in and hope we improve.

Lol... The players played for what the chairman told them was the expected 8th , just fell short. The aim was 8th that was the motivation provided, Stewart is pish, Buchanan so no more.

Paterson : not good enough
Durie : seen enough, time to move on
Thom : not bad, not good. Not fussed if we lose him
Mbu : not good enough for Stenny or Cowden, not good enough for us
Campbell : not strong enough, can't pass. seen enough, time to move on
Rutkievitz : lacks presence - lets see what a pre-season brings
Johnstone : struggles to read a game, lacks quality, time to move on
J. Stewart : not good enough.
O'Neil : would like to see more of him
Brown : Yes!
Barr : Yes!
Hughes: will his mind be right now that full time football evades him?
Fisher : could be a star for us - if he wants it.
Austin : not convinced - needs a "mentor" in the way Ritchie mentored O'Reliey
Buchanan : Yes!.
Smith : Yes..... but we need to see goals.
Clarke : who?
R. Stewart : doesn't have it.

G. Naysmith : I hope he gets a budget to build his own team.

guy
Bizzle

Are you fucking stupid?
SO 5 FT 6 STRIKERS IS THE SOLOUTION IS IT?

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-fc/dundee-keeper-compares-christian-nade-to-celtic-legend-john-hartson-1.249840

We could have had a quality target man, but Lee Murray didn't rate him. Absolute idiot

No happy
http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-fc/dundee-keeper-compares-christian-nade-to-celtic-legend-john-hartson-1.249840

We could have had a quality target man, but Lee Murray didn't rate him. Absolute idiot

Nade has scored three goals in three months witb Dundee. Against Morton (!), Alloa and Dumbarton. Only one of those goals, last Saturday, was crucial to the result. Nade would have made little difference to East Fife apart from the huge waste of money we would have had to kiss goodbye to.
Lee Murray was dead right to turn him down. Please do not abuse the chairman, he deserves more respect than to be branded an idiot.

black and gold
No happy

Nade has scored three goals in three months witb Dundee. Against Morton (!), Alloa and Dumbarton. Only one of those goals, last Saturday, was crucial to the result. Nade would have made little difference to East Fife apart from the huge waste of money we would have had to kiss goodbye to.
Lee Murray was dead right to turn him down. Please do not abuse the chairman, he deserves more respect than to be branded an idiot.

I think we all know who the the idiots are on this site B&G, and one of them's no happy!

Noisy Crossbar

Or like Hislop mentored Wallace?

KotS
Noisy Crossbar

Or like Hislop mentored Wallace?

Surely it was the other way round?

No happy

Murray did well to get shot of McNeil though...

Bizzle
guy
Bizzle

Are you fucking stupid?

Our last 3 goal scorers: Buchanan, Wallace, and McManus.

I ask you to name 2 strikers who have been our main goal scorer and have also had height.

Regardless, you're logic is flawed, why do we need to change the players? Why not the bloody tactics?

guy
Bizzle
guy
Bizzle

Are you fucking stupid?

I ask you to name 2 strikers who have been our main goal scorer and have also had height.

Regardless, you're logic is flawed, why do we need to change the players? Why not the bloody tactics?

Kenny Deuchar and er, Harry Kinnear?

black and gold
No happy

Agree with getting rid of Nade but shouldn't have been Murray making that decision, how many more on the pitch decisions ??
McNeil for sure horrible little man nothing but lies came from him. More to come from that decision.

Having Nade wouldnt make any difference, the guy failed to play for east fife and has played for dundee and scored 3 goals wow, he will struggle in Top flight next season and away back to France like Tuta did. Let's move on.

Ony cunt that happened ti say East Fife un championship in the same sentence,even affore a game wiz played,iz an idiot in ma book.

guy
Bizzle
guy
Bizzle

Are you fucking stupid?

logic is flawed.....cheers for the input spock! I just think theres no harm in playing a taller striker up front with buchanan (if he stays)it will offer a little variety and more options.

Bizzle
guy
Bizzle
guy
Bizzle

Are you fucking stupid?

logic is flawed.....cheers for the input spock! I just think theres no harm in playing a taller striker up front with buchanan (if he stays)it will offer a little variety and more options.

You're right, that Buchanan - Tuta partnership early this season was getting loads of goals

Lol so no valid point COs it didn't work with 2 players one of which was foreign.

bizzle
Lol so no valid point COs it didn't work with 2 players one of which was foreign.

Are you Gary Naymsith????

lol ur a fucking joke pal claim to be a fan and moan about everything GTF

guy
Bizzle
guy
Bizzle

Are you fucking stupid?

This annoys me, players winning individual battles has nothing to do with tactics at this level of football. Btw weve tried 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-1-4-1, 4-4-1-1, 4-3-3... and you think its tactics?

Is it not players playing in the wrong positions at times that the manager has set out how many times we seen full backs in midfield