Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Where it all went wrong?

After such optimism prior to the start if the season I was really looking forward to this campaign however decisions are board level is what ultimately cost us our place in this league. Firstly, the sacking of Willie Aitchison was ridiculous. At a time where we needed consistency, the chairman decided to sack him for a far less experienced manager. Stupid. Secondly, some of the tactics implemented by Naysmith simply weren't right for our team of unskilled players. I could go on forever in a day but I think I'll stop here and have a cuppa to calm myself down...

Re: Where it all went wrong?

Should maybe put some whisky in that cup, fucking dreadful. Have to agree, wullie had us playing some good stuff and with a bit of patience at board level we could have been in a more stable position. Board have a lot to answer for, shambles!!

I agree, I think the chairman was nothing short of a clown for making such a decision. It seemed he cared more about what idiotic fans on the forum were saying rather than having faith in such a great tactical manager. I for one was sad to see him go however im sure he wont struggle for work. His heart lies with this great game and its a shame managers jobs are cut short these days and just not given the time they deserve.

I actually liked wullie, he brought in some interesting players like alexis and tuta. It's a real shame we never kept him on, his style of football was braw to watch. We will soon see the sane idiots that got him chucked coming back on this thread later.

and where the fuck were all of you when he was sacked?!

i didn't see one post on this saying they were sad to see him go!

hindsight is wonderful isn't it...

I heard he is going back to hearts to work woth robbie neilson. It may just be speculation. I however am happy for oor wullie he deserves a club who will treat him with the respect he deserves. The football that he implements will work well in the championship abd I have every faith they will bounce back straight away due to the reunion of neilson and aitchison.

BlackandGold
and where the fuck were all of you when he was sacked?!

i didn't see one post on this saying they were sad to see him go!

hindsight is wonderful isn't it...

Believe me there was

Absolute bollocks.

The problems started with the appointment of Aitchison in the first place.

Never a manager, an assistant or youth coach maybe, not to be in charge of a club. Do you not think if he was such a tactical genius he'd have been doing such roles for years?

Problem one was his appointment, problem two was it took so long to sack him. Was clear from early days he was out of his depth.

As soon as he was appointment, two respected and successful coaches that knew him told me he didn't have what it takes and was the wrong appointment and he would take the club backwards.

Posted that at the time. They were right.

January transfer window was a disaster. Naysmith brought in Mckensie, Cowan, Smith,Reutkiwitz and brought back Hughes. I would argue that Kevin Smith is the only player who brought anything to the table.

Who were u two respected coaches, you sound your tacking absolute bollocks mate. I heard the current player's really liked wullie and think things have got much worse since he left? Do u think Gary is a much better coach?

FabulousFifer
I agree, I think the chairman was nothing short of a clown for making such a decision. It seemed he cared more about what idiotic fans on the forum were saying rather than having faith in such a great tactical manager. I for one was sad to see him go however im sure he wont struggle for work. His heart lies with this great game and its a shame managers jobs are cut short these days and just not given the time they deserve.

Hi willy,

We were sold the last straw under the chairman and last manager. He was the one who signed this current crop of shite and the reason we are relegated. I would have Naismith any day over Atkinson he is a scottish internationalist and knows the game the other clown has only been at youth level . No doubt he is under a bum name the now saying we should have kept him .

Not going to name them but they've known Willie for years and one of them is a Jambo legend.

Jury's still out on Naismith but he's at the start of his career. Give him a full summer to build a squad that he wants and that wants to play for him, then he can be fully judged.

I can see him offering his resignation though, so then would be up to the board if they choose to take it and start afresh.

To be honest, right now, fine with either option.

If the current players prefer the style of a guy that's done nothing to a former Scotland international, then that says a lot about the players. And if those players didn't back their new manager then they can quickly get to fuck as far as I'm concerned.

Their job is to give their all for their club, their fans and their manager.

There may have been good football under Aitchison at times but it still wasn't getting results.

Teams will let you play all the good football you want if you can't put the ball in the back of the net.

Don't remember you backing Aitchison at the time and surprisingly your IP doesn't come up from back then either.

well said I heard from past players when speaking to Atkinson they reliased that he was a clown and knew nothing about football. The players I spoke too were proved right

Aitchison had a better record than Naysmith.

Both fucking useless clowns who won't cut it as managers.

Ps
Fuck watching 2nd division next season.

Fuctifano
Aitchison had a better record than Naysmith.

Both fucking useless clowns who won't cut it as managers.

Ps
Fuck watching 2nd division next season.

Aitchison won 3 from 17 - win percentage 18%
Naysmith won 8 from 26 - win percentage 31%

I stand corrected

Still both useless clowns!

If only we had an experienced manager to begin with then I doubt we would be in this mess. I wanted Naysmith to get the job and was happy when he did but maybe in hindsight it wasn't wise to appoint yet another rookie manager. Tough times ahead me thinks.

We have been absolutely torture since Robertson left, never mind all this Naysmith and Aitchison chat.

Berwick, Annan and Elgin await.

Where does this Aitchison had us playing great football stuff come from ? What's great about watching your team get beat every week ? It doesn't matter if you play like Barcelona or play punt and hunt hoofball! The only football I want to see East Fife playing is winning football whether it's good to watch or not!

TSP2
Where does this Aitchison had us playing great football stuff come from ? What's great about watching your team get beat every week ? It doesn't matter if you play like Barcelona or play punt and hunt hoofball! The only football I want to see East Fife playing is winning football whether it's good to watch or not!

Agreed. Winning football matches is all that counts. The last really decent EF team was in the mid 80's. We weren't the most attractive team to watch but we were effective, could compete with anyone and had an astute manager that played to our strengths. We could play a bit when circumstances allowed but having a team full of strong characters didn't half help. Where are our Kirk's, Burgess's, McLaren's, Marshall's etc in this current shower?

I am good friends with alot of the of the east fife players and backroom staff. From what i have been told it seems they have nothing but praise for willie aitchison. They said he also enjoys a good jar at the local jarry too.

My good friend Colin Scott who graced the East Fife badge through out the 80's told me that willie aitchison would lead the club to much success. He said he hadn't seen such an ambitious coach since brian clough. His only concern was the amount of time given. East fife fans are passionate about their football , understandable at such a great club. However managers need time to adapt. Look at brendan rodgers. I had every faith that willie would have led us into promotion had he been given a season. Oh well but I guess we will continue to wait.

I think a few people have had one too many tonight ... Supporting Willie Atchison? U should be ashamed to call yourself a football fan ... If u have any sort of football knowledge then u could evidently see that the man was well and truely clueless .. He's probably the main reason we are relegated

Two many ex lino in the squad yet again. Smith McBride and Clark to name but three.

Absolutely crushed by today's reverse.

The Aitchisons have been waiting for today to happen. It is no surprise we should hear from them tonight on this forum.

Reality
I think a few people have had one too many tonight ... Supporting Willie Atchison? U should be ashamed to call yourself a football fan ... If u have any sort of football knowledge then u could evidently see that the man was well and truely clueless .. He's probably the main reason we are relegated

I think someone is tired.

JammyJohn
Reality

I think someone is tired.

I think someone is posting under too many different user names, so starting to delete all the anti board/pro Aitchison stuff unless you stick to the one name.

Benitez
We have been absolutely torture since Robertson left, never mind all this Naysmith and Aitchison chat.

Well done someone said it. Robertson had success than any manager we have at our club in leauge one. We have went through Durie, Brown, Aitchison and now current manager and we sack someone that was doing something as a manager at east fife. We have went through 2 seasons of missery finishing 9th because Robbo isn't here and also doesn't help when Linn and Wallace left us for nearby clubs.

Taxi or buses?
Benitez

Well done someone said it. Robertson had success than any manager we have at our club in leauge one. We have went through Durie, Brown, Aitchison and now current manager and we sack someone that was doing something as a manager at east fife. We have went through 2 seasons of missery finishing 9th because Robbo isn't here and also doesn't help when Linn and Wallace left us for nearby clubs.

Well said that man. Football teams need experienced managers; people who know the game and players. Aitchinson new fuck all but he could do sound bites and talk a good talk and that is why we are down.

The writing was on the wall from the very start it seemed. We signed too many players from the previous season who weren't good enough and we gave them another chance and the same thing happened again. E.G Durie, McBride and Johnstone.

We signed some established players at this level who have been nothing short of a disaster. Pat Clarke and Kevin Smith for should have been a stand out at this level, none of them looked remotely interested and their goal return is embarrassing.

Using over 50 players just shows we never really had a settled team and did Naysmith ever know his best 11? Without Buchanan we would have finished bottom months ago, I can't see him sticking around though.

Positives? We finally get to get rid of some terrible players who will go in the history books as part of the 2013/2014 squad that got us relegated. We have a decent handful of youngsters in Barr, Fash and Brown who atleast play for the jersey, and due to unforeseen circumstances we have unearthed a young talent in Dylan Rooney.

No doubt, we need a massive clear out and I will be very disappointed if we give contracts to anymore than 3 or 4 of the current crop who have let the club down big time. It's time for new faces and hopefully players who have a bit of pride and fight and not turn up for big games, such as feeling honoured to play at Ibrox.

I'm sure the vast majority of us are still behind Naysmith, he looks distraught that he is going down, but was up against it from the start, he needs time to build his own squad of players that he wants and find us some genuine leaders, such as Greig McDonald, Jonny Smart or Kenny D.

No backbone to the side. Needs central defender who commands in the air, tackles, makes an effort and bullies the back four.

Need centre midfield who can tackle and disrupt.

Need centre forward capable of winning ball in the air, holding off defenders on the ground and giving the like of Fash pace to do what he does best - score.