Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Blaming the Chairman

People putting the blame on Lee is nothing short of embarrassing. Why is it the Methil Mentality to always blame someone else but the players? Lee was by far the person who put in the most effort at the club and for people to turn around and put this on him is an insult. Brian and co told him that we were getting all these internationalist and we'd be challenging Dunfermline for 2nd spot. The vast majority of our support are some way of the mark and quite frankly, ridiculously stupid when it comes to footballing knowledge. The blame for this state falls entirely on the players. I'd pick 3 who actually cared about that club. The rest are a shower of useless wastes of space. Do not slag the only person that has gave 100%.

Re: Blaming the Chairman

That's is true he has tried best,I am sure he'll get better as time goes on.

I dare say there will be some of statement from the Chairman regarding the future in the coming days. I hope so anyway, though I think it would be better after a few days have elapsed so that a measured comment is forthcoming and heads have had time to cool a bit.

That said the players are not the only culpable ones. In any failing organisation blaming the workers is too easy, management are the ones that should bear the ultimate responsibility though heaven knows that shower of incompetents on the field should be ashamed of themselves after those lame efforts all season long.

The next few days will be interesting.

Agree to an extent. There is a lot of work behind the scenes that people don't see. Lee has been a true credit to the club this season. We've not had a chairman this committed in years.

The chairman deserves criticism for failing to interview any candidates when the manager's job became vacant, and handing the job to a man with no experience in management. We needed a manager who at the very least would keep us in the league. Failed. The job was given to someone who has struggled from day one.
Greg McDonald has made a mug of Gary Naysmith today. What a good idea it would have been to speak to him about the East Fife job.

i dont think anyone is blaming the chairman for everything but he isn't innocent in all this. 1 year on from the victory at Peterhead and things have gotten worse but people will still back Lee without even the slightest question. I am sure he tries his best and i hope it works out for him.

The chareman dude is a pure roaster

SuperSteven

Words seem to be failing me at this moment in time. Wow is all I can say

Why can we no just git rid eh him. Like have a petition or somin ken? I'll make it up on ma computer the morn and pass it round at the next game fir people tae sign

Scran bag
SuperSteven

Words seem to be failing me at this moment in time. Wow is all I can say

Maybe they do. The chairman came into the club with his eyes wide open, after all he is a buisness man of some repute apparently. So if he did not know the full extent of the goings on at the club more fool him... Watch this space. Like I said to you Lee and Gary you reap what you sow. Gary I told you, bad decision, it will come back and bite your ass well it did today.

Brian - the fact you are gloating shows you were only ever in this for your own self interest.

The Chairman for me has a good business mind. Hes got the local business community more involved, hes tried to involve kids more, hes cut prices on occasion, hes done things like improve the bar at the ground with the sky sports.

However he and those around him have totally underestimated the footballing side of things. Too many foreign diddies who were out of their depth were brought in and it was expected they would skoosh things. Bringing in Drinkell and Aitchison was a total disaster. Drinkell had been out the game too long and if thats the sort of hidden talent from abroad he could only bring to us as an agent, then the chairman was conned, they were all to a man not good enough. The manager also was totally inexperienced and largely as a result, out of his depth. Finally, too much faith was kept in failures from the previous year.

The really unfortunate thing for me is I think with this year's growing pains out the way I think we could have had a real go next year. Probably not as strong as Morton or the Pars, but I really don't see why we could not be the best of the rest.

Nothing less than winning the league will be acceptable next year IMO. If you look at the 9 other teams they are all pretty pish and none of them operate with any sort of major budget. Nothing like Peterhead anyway.

Much better off the field. Utter mince on it. Jury very much out on Naysmith as well. Relegation is bad for any CV and Stirling other than getting hot at the right time were nothing to write home about. Should have seen it home today.

scooby
The Chairman for me has a good business mind. Hes got the local business community more involved, hes tried to involve kids more, hes cut prices on occasion, hes done things like improve the bar at the ground with the sky sports.

However he and those around him have totally underestimated the footballing side of things. Too many foreign diddies who were out of their depth were brought in and it was expected they would skoosh things. Bringing in Drinkell and Aitchison was a total disaster. Drinkell had been out the game too long and if thats the sort of hidden talent from abroad he could only bring to us as an agent, then the chairman was conned, they were all to a man not good enough. The manager also was totally inexperienced and largely as a result, out of his depth. Finally, too much faith was kept in failures from the previous year.

The really unfortunate thing for me is I think with this year's growing pains out the way I think we could have had a real go next year. Probably not as strong as Morton or the Pars, but I really don't see why we could not be the best of the rest.

Nothing less than winning the league will be acceptable next year IMO. If you look at the 9 other teams they are all pretty pish and none of them operate with any sort of major budget. Nothing like Peterhead anyway.

Much better off the field. Utter mince on it. Jury very much out on Naysmith as well. Relegation is bad for any CV and Stirling other than getting hot at the right time were nothing to write home about. Should have seen it home today.

A businessman who basis his model on appointing inexperienced managers to run the team? Major FAIL.

scooby
Too many foreign diddies who were out of their depth were brought in.

Just reassure me - you're not telling us that Alexis Dutot wasn't good enough to play alongside Clarke, Durie, J Stewart et al?

Brian was suppose to have it all in place for start of the season. Was it not him that appointed willie and signed most o that dross we had to punt throughout the season ?? Was it not him that had alleged experience in running a club ?? Think he should have stuck to being a kiddy on physio

The chairman knows what hes doing. Hes invested millions into the club. We have a huge bank balance. Many summer signings coming our way

deanfaefife
The chairman knows what hes doing. Hes invested millions into the club. We have a huge bank balance. Many summer signings coming our way

What fucking business appoints a totally inexperienced manager at a senior level? Followed by another manager who has NO managerial experience at all!

Hunter
deanfaefife

What fucking business appoints a totally inexperienced manager at a senior level? Followed by another manager who has NO managerial experience at all!

First of all we are east fife. No successful/experienced manager will go near us. I think you have a misconstrued image of how big the club actually is. There have been plenty first time managers who have achieved success. Unfortunately not for us. Im always a believer in giving managers time but ignorant naive fans dont help the process

gavincleary
Hunter
deanfaefife

First of all we are east fife. No successful/experienced manager will go near us. I think you have a misconstrued image of how big the club actually is. There have been plenty first time managers who have achieved success. Unfortunately not for us. Im always a believer in giving managers time but ignorant naive fans dont help the process

Are Cowdenbeath a big club then?

gavincleary
we are east fife. No successful/experienced manager will go near us.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Anybody remember 80's
Nae ambition, nae decent board! Years of torture'
Lee Murray is the best thing that has happened to East Fife in decades!
Get behind the team / manager / club / board!
The only way is up!
Keep the faith baby!

Hairy Fifer
Anybody remember 80's
Nae ambition, nae decent board! Years of torture'
Lee Murray is the best thing that has happened to East Fife in decades!
Get behind the team / manager / club / board!
The only way is up!
Keep the faith baby!

Wrong wrong wrong. 80s was one of the best times to be a Fife fan.

I'm no here to start an argument......
Early to mid 80's...mmmmm
Gavin Murray years, etc............
Taylor, Baxter.......
Say no more

Maybe I've got my dates wrong......

deanfaefife

Running the numbers and based on the last 2 seasons it has cost on average £8.5 million to win the 2nd division. Lee will have to dig deep.

Hunter
deanfaefife

One that can't offer a decent contract longer than 6 months and is not terminated early on the basis of knobhead fans' whims.

E.Fifefan
Hunter
deanfaefife

One that can't offer a decent contract longer than 6 months and is not terminated early on the basis of knobhead fans' whims.

Gavin Murray got 6 seasons. 6 seasons!!! And did he ever come good?

Longevity doesn't always work.

Grim Reaper
E.Fifefan
Hunter
deanfaefife

Gavin Murray got 6 seasons. 6 seasons!!! And did he ever come good?

Longevity doesn't always work.

But often it does. However, 6 month stints NEVER work, full stop!

Lee has to give Gary a whole season,we can't get any worse. Gary needs time every manager has to start somewhere even the greatest was deemed not good enough for St Mirren. He proved all the doubters wrong.not saying Gary will be as good but needs to be given a chance , Davie Moyes was not given a time , but is still a great manager.

Scran bag
Why is it the Methil Mentality to always blame someone else but the players?