Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Buses to Away games

As Kenny and Becky have stood down from running the buses to the away games what is the current situation. So far we have all heard nothing. It will be really disappointing if there are no buses. Will the Supporters club do the business? will someone replace Kenny? Need to get something sorted as the away days are the best and i cant be fecked driving!

Re: Buses to Away games

No plans as far as i know,although I do know that the "Supporters" club will not be running a bus as tried a few years ago and were let down to many time so were forking out money for nothing as people could not be arsed to turn up...Hope this helps

CK Breifs
As Kenny and Becky have stood down from running the buses to the away games what is the current situation. So far we have all heard nothing. It will be really disappointing if there are no buses. Will the Supporters club do the business? will someone replace Kenny? Need to get something sorted as the away days are the best and i cant be fecked driving!

The club have ran the bus to the away play offs, I think it will be like that this upcoming season.

scot
No plans as far as i know,although I do know that the "Supporters" club will not be running a bus as tried a few years ago and were let down to many time so were forking out money for nothing as people could not be arsed to turn up...Hope this helps

That really is disappointing if the supporters club are not running buses to away games. Maybe someone from the supporters club can comment on this? If they aren't running a bus then what is the point of having a SUPPORTERS club?

I am in the supporters club and this was spoken to in great length at previous meetings and was agreed that the club would not be running a bus!

scot
I am in the supporters club and this was spoken to in great length at previous meetings and was agreed that the club would not be running a bus!

If the 1938 travel club can make a success out of it then why can't the supporters club give it a try?

They gave it a try a few years ago and it never worked out so have decided they will not be doing it for next season.I feel the same and have asked about it a meetings and this is what we were all told.

Can Mini or some other supporters club rep like Yvonne comment on this please?
If Kenny and Becky could make it work, then why cant the SC?

I think that is really disappointing. Its a supporters club, any supporters club should have the supporters at their heart. It should be a number one priority, surly its in the best interest of the club to have a good away support and a bus would assist in realising that goal! If Kenny and Becky can run buses without loss and on some occasions at reduced prices how can it be agreed within the supporters club its a loss making adventure. Reeks in my opinion!! In fact as a mark of protest i will not be renewing my SC membership. Ask anyone that goes on the bus or by car to away matches its a great day out and the players and board really appreciate our efforts.

Maybe Lee and the rest of the board can address this as a matter of urgency as i am sure there will be others that feel like me.

Zuperbenjay
CK Breifs

The club have ran the bus to the away play offs, I think it will be like that this upcoming season.

By club I mean East Fife FC.

It will be really sad if there is no buses to the away games,we built up a good travelling support .yes we were let down by some fans especially the Last rangers game but overall we had reliable fans turning up it is all about getting the right buses at the right price

The "Supporters Club" hasn`t been a club for supporters for several years.The 1938 travel club was started because the "Supporters Club" decided not to run buses.

Hi folks sorry I have not been on this for a few days as moving house shortly however I was informed that this post had been put up and thought I better address the issue.

Firstly I would like to reiterate just how good a job kenny and Becky did at running the buses for the last few years and I am sure everyone at the club appreciated there efforts.

On the actual subject of the away games if any of the posters had been at the last 2 meetings they would have been involved in some "question time" type debates over the very subject of away buses. From the information we were supplied from those involved in the 1938 travel club and also a couple of bus companies it was discovered that as a supporters club we would have to pay out for the costs of buses to EVERY away game PRIOR to the season starting. Now unless one of the posters above has that sort of cash to "donate" to help out then it was not found to be viable unfortunately.

I can also understand Zak's post above where he states that they had built up a very good away travelling support again though at the last meeting (the AGM) where over 50 attended there were around 6 or 7 who regularly used the 1938 club who specifically stated that they would NOT be travelling to many away games next season due to the relegation!!!! If this is the case (and this is only the ones we know who were in attendance) and there are others who are of the same opinion then seriously please provide a decent argument as to why we should run a bus. I do not think for one minute that many of the MF would be willing to travel to away games where there may be the possibility of having to pay £20 or more due to people not turning up and still having to cover the costs.

Please please get in contact with me or any other of the committee ( by the way the new structure is Dave Marshall - Treasurer, Yvonne - secretary Cazza - vice chair and myself - chair) and we could discuss the matter further or PLEASE attend the next meeting and we would be only too happy to go through and show some of the horrendous figures we have been quoted to provide this service.

I do understand that many other clubs still run a bus BUT I can assure you this is not to EVERY game and when they do they are HEAVILY subsidised (is that how u spell that???) as we discovered also by speaking to the Stirling Albion sc chair at the play off game.

For those who wish not to join the sc this year "in protest" or who do not believe that the sc hasn't been a club for several years I can only bring to the table that over 120 members will probably not agree with this statement as they do see the money that is raised for the club which is then given to the football club in order to help (even in a small way) to fund the possible signing of new players and to keep the club running wherever is needed!!

In my own opinion this is a pretty weak argument just because the sc is not running a bus!!

As I said please feel free to shoot this down BUT DO NOT slate the sc just to get your point across actually come and talk to one of us. I had a text today on this very subject and answered it fairly which the guy understood and said "fair enough"

Cheers

Paul

Further to what Mini said, can Zak confirm that he had to pay up front for every away game before the start of the season?!

That seems ridiculous. At a very rough estimate (18 x £400)that would be over £7000.

So Kenny and Becky had to pay £7000 up front at the start of last season??!!

Don't be silly where would we get 7000 we paid the bus weekly which was roughly £400 we did not have any subsidies. We did fund raising with tombola stalls and car boot sales and charge the price's so we had enough to cover the following bus some weeks we charged £15 for adults but the concessions always paid less

zak
Don't be silly where would we get 7000 we paid the bus weekly which was roughly £400 we did not have any subsidies. We did fund raising with tombola stalls and car boot sales and charge the price's so we had enough to cover the following bus some weeks we charged £15 for adults but the concessions always paid less

Thanks Zak. That just clears up that what Mini said wasn't right. He said that all away games would have to be paid before the start of the season.

I think the supporters club needs to think this through again. There is a serious potential to attract new members who go on the bus. The comment from the supporters club regarding costs doesn't add up to me. For goodness sake, if Zak can do it with a starting budget of virtually zero them why the hell can't the supporters club do it with some money they already have.
A supporters club who refuses to take buses to away games is laughable. What is their purpose? The supporters club needs supporters but do we as fans need them?

In reply to "you what" this is what we were informed when there was a "tentative" enquiry made when the 1938 club decided to stop running the bus and we thought it may be a good idea to try and see if it was viable.
At NO time did I mention that Zak EVER had to pay this up front.....
I suppose it's just what some people want to read though at the end of the day eh as I have stated I am not going to get into this on a forum where half the folk on it just want to stir up trouble any queries get in touch directly and as I shall state (again!!) we can go through the figures WE were quoted.

cheers

Can`t believe a bus cannot be hired unless the whole season is paid for upfront.Ludicrous!!!The "Supporters club" no longer functions as a supporters club.They focus on feeding any money they raise into the club,admirable,but not a club for supporters.

Eh?
I think the supporters club needs to think this through again. There is a serious potential to attract new members who go on the bus. The comment from the supporters club regarding costs doesn't add up to me. For goodness sake, if Zak can do it with a starting budget of virtually zero them why the hell can't the supporters club do it with some money they already have.
A supporters club who refuses to take buses to away games is laughable. What is their purpose? The supporters club needs supporters but do we as fans need them?

Must have been writing at the same time eh! (see what I did there eh eh!) brilliant comment u have made and I applaude u on (almost) every thread in this forum u have tried to stir up trouble, cause conflict and just be a general pain in the erse. Let me get this right what you are stating is the club NEED a bus and if they don't get it then the sc which has been going since the Jock Band days at Old Bayview should be disbanded as they do nothing ie never give the club any money (which is the MAIN purpose the club is there in the first place?!?!?)
Sheer brilliance m8 a think u should run for MP at the next election with such sound advise.

As Expected
Can`t believe a bus cannot be hired unless the whole season is paid for upfront.Ludicrous!!!The "Supporters club" no longer functions as a supporters club.They focus on feeding any money they raise into the club,admirable,but not a club for supporters.

A must be tired a just don't understand this quote? we have been doing this for years and years WHY is it suddenly not a club for supporters there must be some folk that agree with what we do in helping the club as we have averaged over 100 members year on year !!

A personally think Zak should just come oot o retirement and stop the sc fi suddenly getting all this abuse!! lol

Mini instead of making long winded statements about people stirring it.Would it not be more appropriate to say you will look into it.I wonder how many bus companies you asked and how many supporters clubs pay upfront for the whole season.

I am sure there will be away bus next season

Last league away game on bus we had a question-ayr, Seemed like noo bad up-take on a bus next season. there was even talk of an App to book seats. I can only make 20 games next season so if playing home or away il be making the trip ....taxi !!!

Thought I would clarify some misunderstanding here, What Paul is trying to say is the Bus companies want to have all away games covered by hiring their bus/buses for the whole season and not for a few. I also think Kenny did a great job along with the others who helped run the bus/buses, as Kenny stated they did fundraising to help keep the costs down but who all helped them not very many it was the same people who did the fundraising. Kenny can clarify this. As a SC our aim is to help all but if no-one is willing to help fund raise the committee cant do it all their selves we have lives as well. We have asked on numerous occasions for donations for fundraisers and it is the same few who donate, we hold various events throughout the season to try and raise money but again it is the same people who come to these events. If people are not willing to help by either contributing to these events or turning up at the events we as a SC cant afford to run buses. So my plea to all East Fife fans is get your bums of the seats and start helping instead of slating us on this forum, As Paul said if you want to get in contact with either you can approach us at anytime either by private message, facebook or by phone. Where we will be happy to try and assist you with any answers to your questions. Thanks for your time in reading this. If any one can come up with good suggestions on how to raise money or if anyone who has money wishes to donate to help start the bus funds then the SC may call an extraordinary meeting to discuss this with fans who travel on the bus/buses.
Cazza vice chair SC

Cazza
Thought I would clarify some misunderstanding here, What Paul is trying to say is the Bus companies want to have all away games covered by hiring their bus/buses for the whole season and not for a few. I also think Kenny did a great job along with the others who helped run the bus/buses, as Kenny stated they did fundraising to help keep the costs down but who all helped them not very many it was the same people who did the fundraising. Kenny can clarify this. As a SC our aim is to help all but if no-one is willing to help fund raise the committee cant do it all their selves we have lives as well. We have asked on numerous occasions for donations for fundraisers and it is the same few who donate, we hold various events throughout the season to try and raise money but again it is the same people who come to these events. If people are not willing to help by either contributing to these events or turning up at the events we as a SC cant afford to run buses. So my plea to all East Fife fans is get your bums of the seats and start helping instead of slating us on this forum, As Paul said if you want to get in contact with either you can approach us at anytime either by private message, facebook or by phone. Where we will be happy to try and assist you with any answers to your questions. Thanks for your time in reading this. If any one can come up with good suggestions on how to raise money or if anyone who has money wishes to donate to help start the bus funds then the SC may call an extraordinary meeting to discuss this with fans who travel on the bus/buses.
Cazza vice chair SC

Nice one Caroline.

The problem is that the folk that run the SC don't go to many away games. The chair and vice chair don't go. The treasurer goes with the club, which I'm sure the secretary has managed to sort out too.

Also why is the treasurer also a director of the club? Is there not a conflict of interest there? Or is he a representative on the board for the Supporters Club?

I have always been a member of the SC but wont be renewing my membership again. I really don't see the point. I'd rather just give money directly to the club.

I think its a farce that they don't try and sort this out as an away bus should be the priority. All the good work with the kids will just go down the pan. EF have always been known as having a good travelling support.

Its obvious from the chair's comments that they haven't given any of this much thought.

The 100 or so members that the chair talks about is largely made up of people that had to join if they wanted to come to the Lee Murray/Brian McNeil takeover meeting.

I think the biggest problem for the supporters club is recruiting members who actually want to put something back into it, as well as take something out of it. Unfortunately, going by the many posts relating to the bus's for the recent play-offs and on this thread, it looks like the ones who put something into it, are few and far between.

The poster above who says he won't be renewing his membership, obviously thinks his outlay entitles him to sit back and let others do all the hard work of organising bus's, functions and other fundraising activities, while he gets on his keyboard and dictates to all what he decides is wrong with the SC. Having a go at Dave Marshall (director & treasurer) for being a member is pretty low considering how much Dave has put into East Fife over the years, all voluntarily.

If I was a millionaire, I still wouldn't subsidise a bus, as long as there are anonymous posters on here constantly whinging and expecting others to do every goddam thing for them.

Supporter
I think the biggest problem for the supporters club is recruiting members who actually want to put something back into it, as well as take something out of it. Unfortunately, going by the many posts relating to the bus's for the recent play-offs and on this thread, it looks like the ones who put something into it, are few and far between.

The poster above who says he won't be renewing his membership, obviously thinks his outlay entitles him to sit back and let others do all the hard work of organising bus's, functions and other fundraising activities, while he gets on his keyboard and dictates to all what he decides is wrong with the SC. Having a go at Dave Marshall (director & treasurer) for being a member is pretty low considering how much Dave has put into East Fife over the years, all voluntarily.

If I was a millionaire, I still wouldn't subsidise a bus, as long as there are anonymous posters on here constantly whinging and expecting others to do every goddam thing for them.

To be fair you are also an anonymous poster whinging.

Cr
Supporter

Maybe, but not about East Fife or the SC, plus I am not expecting other people to do all the hard work and running around for poor wee me. In case you missed it, my post was directed to those who are complaining about the running of bus's to away games, who just want to sit back and expect other people to do all the hard work and criticise a hard working EF supporter and director, to try and discredit the SC. Zak will testify to the criticism he got at times running the bus and maybe that is the reason why he isn't doing it anymore?

Supporter
Cr
Supporter

Maybe, but not about East Fife or the SC. In case you missed it, my post was directed to those who are complaining about the running of bus's to away games, who just want to sit back and expect other people to do all the hard work and criticise a hard working EF supporter and director, to try and discredit the SC. Zak will testify to the criticism he got at times running the bus and maybe that is why he isn't doing it anymore?

I never missed anything.

Cr
Supporter
Cr
Supporter

Maybe, but not about East Fife or the SC. In case you missed it, my post was directed to those who are complaining about the running of bus's to away games, who just want to sit back and expect other people to do all the hard work and criticise a hard working EF supporter and director, to try and discredit the SC. Zak will testify to the criticism he got at times running the bus and maybe that is why he isn't doing it anymore?

I never missed anything.

You missed my edit!

Supporter
Cr
Supporter
Cr
Supporter

I never missed anything.

You missed my edit and will miss the bus by the looks of things!

I was under the impression that office bearers who enjoy sitting at the top table and who like to have their various titles would actually be the ones that LED the supporters club?

I just feel like its a wee clique who like the status but don't want to actually put themselves out.

That's my opinion which I am entitled to.

You say ask Zak?

Well how about asking Zak what his feelings are on the SC? They did nothing to help with the buses. That's why the 1938 club had to be started in the first place.

As for having a go at Dave Marshall, I don't contest he is East Fife through and through.
All I was asking is whether he is a representative of the Supporters Club, just like Eugene is on the board in his capacity as representative of the Trust?

COME ON SC
I was under the impression that office bearers who enjoy sitting at the top table and who like to have their various titles would actually be the ones that LED the supporters club?

I just feel like its a wee clique who like the status but don't want to actually put themselves out.

That's my opinion which I am entitled to.

You say ask Zak?

Well how about asking Zak what his feelings are on the SC? They did nothing to help with the buses. That's why the 1938 club had to be started in the first place.

As for having a go at Dave Marshall, I don't contest he is East Fife through and through.
All I was asking is whether he is a representative of the Supporters Club, just like Eugene is on the board in his capacity as representative of the Trust?

Why ask about Dave Marshall? What is your line of questioning going to highlight?

I said ask Zak, because he has been mega pissed off in the past with the criticism he received running the bus and threatened to stop running it. But you guys just don't know when to keep your big mouths shut and the end result will be NO bus's. You will be well happy then eh?

We seem to be there already - no busses.

Already there
We seem to be there already - no busses.

I wonder why??

there will be away bus i heard someone said colin roberston and john will be doing it i a sure that be right

In reply to all these posts if Colin And John are running the buses then that will be great, as I don't travel to away games due to my fear of buses. Just because the committee of the SC don't go to away games doesn't give anyone the right to slate us on this forum, we can only go by what the members of the SC voted for we lead by vote. We are here as office bearers and the members have the vote, we can step in when a decision is needed quickly and don't have time to contact all members as for there being a wee cliché on the board of the SC can you please clarify by what you ment by that. I personally don't think there is one. Can anyone find out if Colin and John are running buses or do we have to do that too. I don't have anyway of contacting them but if I could I would. Until we can find out if either are running buses would someone like to phone around bus companies for prices and get back to us asap as I am busy at the moment with working full time and going on holiday.
Thanks
Cazza

COME ON SC
The problem is that the folk that run the SC don't go to many away games. The chair and vice chair don't go. The treasurer goes with the club, which I'm sure the secretary has managed to sort out too.

Also why is the treasurer also a director of the club? Is there not a conflict of interest there? Or is he a representative on the board for the Supporters Club?

I have always been a member of the SC but wont be renewing my membership again. I really don't see the point. I'd rather just give money directly to the club.

I think its a farce that they don't try and sort this out as an away bus should be the priority. All the good work with the kids will just go down the pan. EF have always been known as having a good travelling support.

Its obvious from the chair's comments that they haven't given any of this much thought.

The 100 or so members that the chair talks about is largely made up of people that had to join if they wanted to come to the Lee Murray/Brian McNeil takeover meeting.

Hi there "come on sc"
Just to help out with some of your comments

Should you ever attend one of our meetings (which you obviously do not do) you would understand just how much time Davie puts into not only the sc but the club and the ladies team so to even bring him up in this discussion, in my opinion, (as you put things) I think beggars belief. DM has always been and will continue to be an East Fife supporter first and foremost.

AGAIN if you had bothered to turn up to any of the last 2 meetings you would be a wee bit wiser in understanding that this HAS been looked into at great length and time and discussed with ALL the members who did come so as for "....haven't given any of this much thought" smacks of sheer ignorance on your part am afraid.

Also had you "always" been a member of the supporters club I really do hesitate in believing you (if you would only not be so scared as to share your name I can of course be proved wrong) as there have been over 100 members of the sc for the last 5 years!!!! Not just last season so if you have been a member SURELY you would know this.

As for ME not attending away games I try to go where possible (and really do I need to give reasons on a forum for why I cannot attend EVERY game away??) but to satisfy YOUR ego in being the perfect supporter if you would like to come and coach some of the youths you would understand that it sometimes is just not possible to go and train/coach some of the kids then have enough time to get to some games or even have to go out and work the occasional Saturday (ah the pleasure of being self employed!)

If you don't know the facts, please don't just come on a forum nameless, gutless and just criticise.

Cheers

East Fife supporters club ? Are you havin a laugh ? They can't get a bus to away games ? how the f'ck can they call themselves a supporters club . FFS . Must be the only supporters club I have heard of who don't actually SUPPORT the club AWAY ? What a f'ckin joke .

mr305
East Fife supporters club ? Are you havin a laugh ? They can't get a bus to away games ? how the f'ck can they call themselves a supporters club . FFS . Must be the only supporters club I have heard of who don't actually SUPPORT the club AWAY ? What a f'ckin joke .

Very funny mate , last time I let you on my pc . just been fraped

Tell you what guys, this place would put anyone off doing anything in any voluntary capacity for the club. Whoever is prepared to run buses to away games in the future gets a big thumbs up from me.

Cazza
In reply to all these posts if Colin And John are running the buses then that will be great, as I don't travel to away games due to my fear of buses. Just because the committee of the SC don't go to away games doesn't give anyone the right to slate us on this forum, we can only go by what the members of the SC voted for we lead by vote. We are here as office bearers and the members have the vote, we can step in when a decision is needed quickly and don't have time to contact all members as for there being a wee cliché on the board of the SC can you please clarify by what you ment by that. I personally don't think there is one. Can anyone find out if Colin and John are running buses or do we have to do that too. I don't have anyway of contacting them but if I could I would. Until we can find out if either are running buses would someone like to phone around bus companies for prices and get back to us asap as I am busy at the moment with working full time and going on holiday.
Thanks
Cazza[/quote)

Is a fear of buses a recognised condition?
My pal had a fear of buses too. He got run over by one

Is a fear of buses a recognised condition?
My pal had a fear of buses too. He got run over by one [/quote]

Shug did your friend get killed by a bus, mines did.