Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1938 Travel Club

Hi,we are pleased to announce that the 1938 Travel Club will be running again next season. Following discussions today and a positive response from the coach suppliers, the plan mentioned at the end of the season will be put in place.
Any feedback will be appreciated

Re: 1938 Travel Club

Ian L
Hi,we are pleased to announce that the 1938 Travel Club will be running again next season. Following discussions today and a positive response from the coach suppliers, the plan mentioned at the end of the season will be put in place.
Any feedback will be appreciated

That's great news! Well done everyone who has made this happen. It just shows that what can be achieved with a a bit of positivity and not negativity!

I'm sure the club and the players will appreciate the efforts of the 1938 Travel Club and thanks to them, we can continue the great away support next season.

Great news well done to everyone that made this happen, I hope we continue to have a good away support next season and the players will be delighted and appreciate our efforts thanks everyone and it would be terrible playing elgin away or those teams in the west without the backing of the fans. It good its now in place like to thank them all and also the coach supplier for letting us use their bus now like to say big thanks

Wasn't on the bus to Ayr so have no idea what those plans you speak of are, what's the plan?

I am eagerly awaiting the full payment for the entire season.

Bus Company
I am eagerly awaiting the full payment for the entire season.

Hope you've got your £7000 ready!

It was never stated that £7000 had to be paid in full, glad Ian is taking over the buses maybe it will stop all you wingers winging about trivial things. Also if Ian had got back to people he should have maybe this could have been averted

Aboot time too
It was never stated that £7000 had to be paid in full, glad Ian is taking over the buses maybe it will stop all you wingers winging about trivial things. Also if Ian had got back to people he should have maybe this could have been averted

What on God`s name are you talking about?

Aboot time too

I hate winging wingers. Pesky bunch.

I'm just glad that Ian is stepping up because if it was up to the so called supporters club then there wouldnae be anything happening

charlie
I'm just glad that Ian is stepping up because if it was up to the so called supporters club then there wouldnae be anything happening

FFS yup yer right Charlie the SC give the club fek all....no donation every year, no fundraising, no help behind the scenes nope nothing!!!!

Try joining, getting involved, seeing what YOU can offer to help, or coming to a meeting see what goes on otherwise CAN IT.

Paul Munro (aka Mini)
charlie
I\'m just glad that Ian is stepping up because if it was up to the so called supporters club then there wouldnae be anything happening

FFS yup yer right Charlie the SC give the club fek all....no donation every year, no fundraising, no help behind the scenes nope nothing!!!!

Try joining, getting involved, seeing what YOU can offer to help, or coming to a meeting see what goes on otherwise CAN IT.

Fat chance of any of the above critics doing that Mini! The only thing you will get from any them is to ask for cheaper prices, subsidised of course by their hated SC!

Supporter
Paul Munro (aka Mini)
charlie
I\\\'m just glad that Ian is stepping up because if it was up to the so called supporters club then there wouldnae be anything happening

Fat chance of any of the above critics doing that Mini! The only thing you will get from any them is to ask for cheaper prices, subsidised of course by their hated SC!

No being funny here, but what is there for the supporters club to offer cheaper prices for or to subsidise? It certainly isn`t a bus! What i don`t get is how can a guy on his own manage to resurrect a bus when the supporters club totally discounted it???

Fair play to Ian for having the determination and balls to do this. I`m sure a thriving away support is much appreciated by the club.

Peter
Supporter
Paul Munro (aka Mini)
charlie
I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m just glad that Ian is stepping up because if it was up to the so called supporters club then there wouldnae be anything happening

No being funny here, but what is there for the supporters club to offer cheaper prices for or to subsidise? It certainly isn`t a bus! What i don`t get is how can a guy on his own manage to resurrect a bus when the supporters club totally discounted it???

Fair play to Ian for having the determination and balls to do this. I`m sure a thriving away support is much appreciated by the club.

I'm not being funny here either mate, but maybe if there were more guys like you in the SC, there would be no need for others like Ian to organise the transport. If you can't be arsed to do anything yourself, then you are in no position to criticise. There could be good reasons for Ian getting a deal from the bus company that the SC may not be offered for all you know. So instead of criticising and guessing what the reasons are, get involved yourself.
As far as subsidised transport is concerned, the club gave that for the play off away games. Bear in mind, that it is funds generated by the likes of the SC, that enables the club to afford to do that. Take some advice and look at the bigger picture for all things in life!

Supporter
Peter
Supporter
Paul Munro (aka Mini)
charlie
I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m just glad that Ian is stepping up because if it was up to the so called supporters club then there wouldnae be anything happening

I\'m not being funny here either mate, but maybe if there were more guys like you in the SC, there would be no need for others like Ian to organise the transport. If you can\'t be arsed to do anything yourself, then you are in no position to criticise. There could be good reasons for Ian getting a deal from the bus company that the SC may not be offered for all you know. So instead of criticising and guessing what the reasons are, get involved yourself.
As far as subsidised transport is concerned, the club gave that for the play off away games. Bear in mind, that it is funds generated by the likes of the SC, that enables the club to afford to do that. Take some advice and look at the bigger picture for all things in life!

Why would anyone being in the sc make any difference? Why would that make a difference to Ian organising transport?

The sc are ok with taking credit when it`s due and rightly so but in my opinion, they have failed miserably with the away bus scenario.

Maybe they should have taken more advice and looked at the bigger picture?

Peter
Supporter
Peter
Supporter
Paul Munro (aka Mini)
charlie
I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m just glad that Ian is stepping up because if it was up to the so called supporters club then there wouldnae be anything happening

I\\\'m not being funny here either mate, but maybe if there were more guys like you in the SC, there would be no need for others like Ian to organise the transport. If you can\\\'t be arsed to do anything yourself, then you are in no position to criticise. There could be good reasons for Ian getting a deal from the bus company that the SC may not be offered for all you know. So instead of criticising and guessing what the reasons are, get involved yourself.

Why would anyone being in the sc make any difference? Why would that make a difference to Ian organising transport?

The sc are ok with taking credit when it`s due and rightly so but in my opinion, they have failed miserably with the away bus scenario.

Maybe they should have taken more advice and looked at the bigger picture?

So I take it you are not in the SC? Maybe if Ian was in the SC it would make a difference, seeing as he managed to sort out a bus? Are you getting the bigger picture here mate? It's no good whinging about the SC if you are not in it now, is there? You do realise that you would not automatically get a seat on the bus if it was organised by them? So if not a member, why are you whinging about it?

Does anyone know what the plan is that Ian is talking about? Hearing rumours regarding direct debit etc !!

Forget about all the wind and pish being spouted on this subject.The bottom line is Supporters clubs throughout history were set up predominantly to help supporters with travel to away games.A few seasons ago our Supporters club decided to stop running buses to away games and instead donate any funds raised to the club.All very well,but they are no longer a Supporters club.Charity,fundraisers club,top table/picture in the paper society,I dont know what to call it,but its not a Supporters club.

Bleedin Nora
Forget about all the wind and pish being spouted on this subject.The bottom line is Supporters clubs throughout history were set up predominantly to help supporters with travel to away games.A few seasons ago our Supporters club decided to stop running buses to away games and instead donate any funds raised to the club.All very well,but they are no longer a Supporters club.Charity,fundraisers club,top table/picture in the paper society,I dont know what to call it,but its not a Supporters club.

You are missing the point here. It is a club and a club is for its members, who have decided to help East Fife financially, therefore if you are not a member, then why do feel you have a right to criticise it and tell them what they do with the money they have raised? If you are not happy with its direction, then join the club and try to change it. But no, you don't want to do that, because it will be a hassle for you and you don't want to pay the membership fee, do you? Easier to sit back and let others do the work, while you just criticise it because it is not doing what you want. You are wrong as well about why a supporters club exists. It exists primarily to help the football club its members support, not for running bus's. You do know that East Fife have home games as well, so what do you want the SC to do for these games? It surely isnae to organise bus's is it?

Bleedin Nora

Exactly! Looking forward to hearing what Ian's plans are for the transport and how the 1938 Travel Club can help the club.

Lets keep it real here, stop all the shite if you are not happy get off yer arse and start helping. The elected parties that run the SC put themselves in the position of "power" therfore wake up and smell the salts. Its your duty to help fellow supporters (member of SC or not). First time in ages suppoerters have looked for help, you could have helped and made a difference and guess what "FAIL"! Not angry just very very disappointed to be frank! Giving my membership to the managers fund if it runs this season.

Frank
Lets keep it real here, stop all the shite if you are not happy get off yer arse and start helping. The elected parties that run the SC put themselves in the position of "power" therefore wake up and smell the salts. Its your duty to help fellow supporters (member of SC or not). First time in ages supporters have looked for help, you could have helped and made a difference and guess what "FAIL"! Not angry just very very disappointed to be frank! Giving my membership to the managers fund if it runs this season.

I agree with Frank. The Supporters Club have been really poor. It was clear from the beginning that they never had any real interest in this, probably because those with the power don't use the bus or even go to many away matches.

They keep saying to join the club and make a difference but would any of them stand down from their "positions"? Its just a cosy wee set up in my opinion.

I'd rather just pass to be honest.

Good on Ian by the way

agree with Frank
Frank
Lets keep it real here, stop all the shite if you are not happy get off yer arse and start helping. The elected parties that run the SC put themselves in the position of \\\\\\\"power\\\\\\\" therefore wake up and smell the salts. Its your duty to help fellow supporters (member of SC or not). First time in ages supporters have looked for help, you could have helped and made a difference and guess what \\\\\\\"FAIL\\\\\\\"! Not angry just very very disappointed to be frank! Giving my membership to the managers fund if it runs this season.

I agree with Frank. The Supporters Club have been really poor. It was clear from the beginning that they never had any real interest in this, probably because those with the power don\\\'t use the bus or even go to many away matches.

They keep saying to join the club and make a difference but would any of them stand down from their \\\"positions\\\"? Its just a cosy wee set up in my opinion.

I\\\'d rather just pass to be honest.

Good on Ian by the way

I dont think it gets any cosier than sitting on your backside in front of your keyboard letting everybody else organise busses, raffles, dances etc. As for just passing, well that's what you have been doing anyway pal, so what's the difference!
Its a pretty lame excuse your reason for not joining the SC by the way. What you are confirming is that you dont want to pay the £7 membership and cant be bothered going to the meetings and trying to hide it with that feeble excuse. If you were really serious about it not being run properly, you would join and sort it out, but truth be told, you dont have the bottle. The people in "positions" are there because they were elected, so it is not about them standing down, its about others willing to stand against them, but who is willing?? Certainly not you by the looks of it, eh?

Disagree with Frank & you.
agree with Frank
Frank
Lets keep it real here, stop all the shite if you are not happy get off yer arse and start helping. The elected parties that run the SC put themselves in the position of \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"power\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" therefore wake up and smell the salts. Its your duty to help fellow supporters (member of SC or not). First time in ages supporters have looked for help, you could have helped and made a difference and guess what \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"FAIL\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"! Not angry just very very disappointed to be frank! Giving my membership to the managers fund if it runs this season.

I agree with Frank. The Supporters Club have been really poor. It was clear from the beginning that they never had any real interest in this, probably because those with the power don\\\\\\\'t use the bus or even go to many away matches.

They keep saying to join the club and make a difference but would any of them stand down from their \\\\\\\"positions\\\\\\\"? Its just a cosy wee set up in my opinion.

I\\\\\\\'d rather just pass to be honest.

Good on Ian by the way

I dont think it gets any cosier than sitting on your backside in front of your keyboard letting everybody else organise busses, raffles, dances etc. As for just passing, well that's what you have been doing anyway pal, so what's the difference!
Its a pretty lame excuse your reason for not joining the SC by the way. What you are confirming is that you dont want to pay the £7 membership and cant be bothered going to the meetings and trying to hide it with that feeble excuse. If you were really serious about it not being run properly, you would join and sort it out, but truth be told, you dont have the bottle. The people in "positions" are there because they were elected, so it is not about them standing down, its about others willing to stand against them, but who is willing?? Certainly not you by the looks of it, eh?

I am sure that the SC do some good things but the post on here from their chairman was embarrassing and just gave the impression that it was the SC that were looking for "lame excuses" not to organise the bus. The stuff about having to pay up front for the whole season was just crap, so I can understand some of the anger. I'm not a member of the SC by the way, but do have a season ticket (just for the record!).

Apologies for the previous post being "embarrassing" but I fail to see where?? It's the same people who do all the running about in the sc helping to fundraise and who attend all the meetings. When it was touted near the end of the season that we would be looking into what was to happen with the buses now that Kenny and Becky would stand down there were 6 (YES 6!!!!!!!) members turn up????

So YOU tell ME what we were to do!

Also with the info that was provided by stagecoach and with what I have stated before it's up to keyboard warriors to interpret and make up what you want to see the sc were advised that we would have to block book the bus to ALL away games for the season and if we did not take up one of the buses we would still have to pay now I don't know if stagecoach got that wrong or what but to me that's as good as saying you have to pay for ALL the away trips regardless of who travels so if you deem that to be "crap" then that is within your rights but to me that's bad business am afraid.

If you still feel this is the case come and speak to me personally instead of hiding behind a keyboard) on my cushy throne of unbelievable power where no one gets a say ( aye right am sure a would get away wi that tae!!) or please stop with the personal abuse as it's getting a bit dated m8.

" On my cushy throne of unbelievable power where no one gets a say ( aye right am sure a would get away wi that tae!!) " or please stop with the personal abuse as it's getting a bit dated m8.

Anybody that knows Paul or the SC will know he is in the middle of 2 feisty woman and gets away with Jack shit, poor Dave at the end just shrugs his shoulders and shakes his head .
To say we are a wee cleek is unbelievable but everyone is entitled to their opinion, I stepped down 2 years ago as the secretary as I was in poor health, I went to the AGM and was voted on as Vice chairperson to help Paul, Yvonne & Dave with the running of the SC. I was really happy to accept the position there is more to the SC than just running buses, I understand how you all feel and that's understandable but when we asked if anyone wanted to take on the bus we were told that Ian was looking into it and was to get in contact with Yvonne on the outcome, as Paul said the personal abuse is getting out of hand. If you all want to see what we all do please come to our next meeting or failing that come to our quiz night after the Fulham game on the 5th July 6 for 6.30 start. Unfortunately I won't be there as I am of on a well deserved holiday

Cazza,you will love Turkey. Enjoy!!

For fucks sake. You'd think that Paul and co were on salaries from the supporters club the way a lot of you are going on. The question has already been answered: it's not financially viable to run a bus due to upfront costs (demanded by the bus companies). What working man in their right mind would put that kind of money upfront for a bus that might not get filled?

To the original poster: why don't you organize a bus? Get quotes from local companies, advertise it, take names, and subsidize it when XX amount of people don't turn up? Oh wait, that's the job of "They".

Apologies to Ian L
By "The first poster" I am referring to the person who started the whole It's the supporters club's job to run a bus debate

For those who feel so strongly about the supporters club not running a bus, why not get in touch with Ian L, who has taken over the reigns from Zak and Becky and give the man a hand?

Dave J
For fucks sake. You'd think that Paul and co were on salaries from the supporters club the way a lot of you are going on. The question has already been answered: it's not financially viable to run a bus due to upfront costs (demanded by the bus companies). What working man in their right mind would put that kind of money upfront for a bus that might not get filled?

To the original poster: why don't you organize a bus? Get quotes from local companies, advertise it, take names, and subsidize it when XX amount of people don't turn up? Oh wait, that's the job of "They".

Are you saying that Kenny wasn't in his right mind when he ran the buses?

Where did Kenny get £50K ?

No, not at all Becky. The point I'm trying to make is that most of us simply can't or won't pay for a bus upfront and subsidize it when folk who have put their name down don't turn up. I'm not so sure that the supporters club funds are vast enough to do so either. This is also based on Paul Munro's claim that bus companies are demanding block bookings and money upfront. Having ran the bus for as long as you guys did, you'll know the ins, outs, financial outlays Tec and will be better placed than most to comment. I myself don't have £500 (?) to put down for a bus, never mind £500 to lose.
If, I have caused offense to yourself and Zak, I am truly sorry.
There are far too many people who expect others to organize, fund and run things and all they have to do is turn up. I.e. buses.

I wish you all the best and hope you enjoy the forthcoming season.

Dave

We will enjoy the forthcoming season at the away games.

Dave J
No, not at all Becky. The point I'm trying to make is that most of us simply can't or won't pay for a bus upfront and subsidize it when folk who have put their name down don't turn up. I'm not so sure that the supporters club funds are vast enough to do so either. This is also based on Paul Munro's claim that bus companies are demanding block bookings and money upfront. Having ran the bus for as long as you guys did, you'll know the ins, outs, financial outlays Tec and will be better placed than most to comment. I myself don't have £500 (?) to put down for a bus, never mind £500 to lose.
If, I have caused offense to yourself and Zak, I am truly sorry.
There are far too many people who expect others to organize, fund and run things and all they have to do is turn up. I.e. buses.

I wish you all the best and hope you enjoy the forthcoming season.

Dave

Excellent post Dave.

Zak,
Do you still get into away games for free,
either through ex east players or ex referees
Or other contacts

Just wondering

How do you not get any tough shit then. There are hundred of players in the east of what don't know any ex-referees.some players who I made friends with phone me and ask me if I want tickets like a few other fans.anyway what the fuck is it to do with you .

Zak I think there is a little bit of jealously here more power to you & Becky if you get Freebies.

Hope to be over sometime early in the new season.

Hi rab how are and your good lady? Maybe so but won't be using them much next season as We will only be going to a few away games Elgin, Annan and Berwick, and we will most probably stay the weekend at these places,and Arbroath away Montrose away, will be about the only other games we will go to.we won't be sponsoring any player's this season either.

What has happened

My apologies for the long silence,but we still have some issues needing clarity.
Please keep an eye on the club website and club twitter account for more updates.
Thanks for being patient.

Bump!

From the EFFC official website.

Two of our supporters, Ian Lowson and Allan Duthie, are investigating whether there is a demand for running a bus to away matches.

If you're interested can you let Ian know by either emailing him your details on ilowson5@hotmail.com or texting him on 07795 115631.

If, by the 12th July the guys feel there is enough interest you will be contacted and asked to complete a registration form and pay a one-off fee of £10.

So, if you'd like to express an interest please contact Ian (NOT the club) on ilowson5@hotmail.com or text 07795 115631. Remember the deadline is July 12th.

Hi Allan get in contact with me I have some money for you

Hi folks, just a little reminder, if you haven\\\'t already intimated
informed me that you would like to register and travel on the bus,please,please let me know by Sat 12th. We need to confirm our contract with the bus company.
Cheers, could really do with a few more definite travellers.

How have things gone with bus,just seems to have gone very quiet.Nothing been posted on here and emails gone unanswered....

From what I hear there just hasn't been enough interest to make it worthwhile. First two trips being Stranraer and Elgin have probably put a lot of folk off

I asked about the bus to Elgin but told not enough interest.

Hopefully if the team does well, then this will reignite the interest again

Too many posts to refer to, but what have all you critics got to say about the SC decision now, especially you, 'Egg on Face''? You obviously looked into the future and were meaning yourself!

Bored
Too many posts to refer to, but what have all you critics got to say about the SC decision now, especially you, 'Egg on Face''? You obviously looked into the future and were meaning yourself!

Yeah - well done the Supporters Club for realising this. They are incredibly far sighted

Bored
Too many posts to refer to, but what have all you critics got to say about the SC decision now, especially you, \'Egg on Face\'\'? You obviously looked into the future and were meaning yourself!

Hiya Jocky, hiya pal.

No argument as I thought, only jibes! Nothing changes!

Hi folks, sadly my earlier optimism was not matched by positive responses to the request for commitment. I now have to admit that I was wrong and there won't be a big bus travelling to away games. We had a figure that had to be met before we willing to go ahead, and on Monday night, we were still 15 short of that number, not just 1or2.
Over the past few days we have managed to secure a deal to run a 16 seater, and this has now been booked up by guys who came to me at the beginning and committed their support.
Hopefully, the season ahead will take off and maybe some other group can get another bus going.
Monthefife

Unbelievable that the club is not running a bus, were in for a shite season and East Fife FC deserve all they get!
I ex

Good luck to you Ian with your 16 seater, I hope that your 16 guys turn up for every game, I never had one person last season going to every game, you will find that a least more than one person does not turn up, as you know it will be hard even yourself let me down on more than
one occasion, you will find that people cancel because they can't be bothered to turn up or have work to go to at the last minute, or are sick,holidays,I had some great excuses, I had over 150 different fans travel with us the last season and not one person did not let me down at least once.

dubs
Unbelievable that the club is not running a bus, were in for a shite season and East Fife FC deserve all they get!
I ex
Why is it unbelievable? If the demand isn\'t there for a bus then why run a bus at a loss? It\'s not as if the club have piles of cash to throw away. A good early start to season and I\'m sure we will still have a decent away support. Have a shit season like last then a 16 seater will be adequate anyway.

zak
Good luck to you Ian with your 16 seater, I hope that your 16 guys turn up for every game, I never had one person last season going to every game, you will find that a least more than one person does not turn up, as you know it will be hard even yourself let me down on more than
one occasion, you will find that people cancel because they can\\\'t be bothered to turn up or have work to go to at the last minute, or are sick,holidays,I had some great excuses, I had over 150 different fans travel with us the last season and not one person did not let me down at least once.

So bitter...so huffy

pathetic
zak
one occasion, you will find that people cancel because they can\\\\\\\'t be bothered to turn up or have work to go to at the last minute, or are sick,holidays,I had some great excuses, I had over 150 different fans travel with us the last season and not one person did not let me down at least once.

So bitter...so huffy

And no wonder!

zak
one occasion, you will find that people cancel because they can\'t be bothered to turn up or have work to go to at the last minute, or are sick,holidays,I had some great excuses, I had over 150 different fans travel with us the last season and not one person did not let me down at least once.

I seem to recall even you missing a couple of away games too - sunning it in Barbados if I remember!

Ian, not everyone is able to get Saturdays off. As I coach with the youth academy I wouldn't be making early Saturday morning away trips. I'll be lucky if I make Arbroath. If we had stayed up then probably more people would be making away games on the bus as most games the bus left at 12 but with it now being earlier leaves and longer journeys, some people will be unable if they work or have other commitments.
But I will always support East a Fife 100% if am at the games or no!

Tiff,no need to explain, I was only saying that we couldn't go ahead on the numbers received. It was always going to be a challenge, but I really thought we would get enough new interest. That didn't happen and quite a few regular travellers came back to say they, like yourself, couldn't make many games.
This season will be a test for us all, but hopefully, we can get things right,on the park.
As I said, I would love to see a big bus running again, but there's an old saying about "cutting your cloth ".
See you at the games when you can make it, and keep up the good work with the coaching.
Cheers

Ahem I seem to recall even you missing a couple of away games too - sunning it in Barbados if I remember![8-)
I missed the away game to Ayr but made sure the bus was paid for,32 fans went at a loss of £155,

You really are coming across as a total cock Zak.Thanks for organizing buses for the last few years,the knighthoods in the post!!
Now do behave, enjoy your latest self imposed ban and stop snivelling like a wee spoiled child.

Get over Yersel
You really are coming across as a total cock Zak.Thanks for organizing buses for the last few years,the knighthoods in the post!!
Now do behave, enjoy your latest self imposed ban and stop snivelling like a wee spoiled child.

Ouch!

Get over Yersel

Well said! Zak's moans are getting a bit tiresome now

Christ.liv the guy a lin.Zaks moans er f'all compared ti some that come on here,spouting the biggest lot a pish gaun.Un that includes me biy the wy.