Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hearts match - views

Although we were playing against higher opposition I was a bit concerned about the team today:
Goalkeeping - Really think we could do with someone with senior level experience. The lad from Kelty didn't look great today and its a bit much to rely on a kid like Rooney for the season in what is going to be a competitive league.
Defence - Fair enough we have Rutkiewicz to come back, but we could do with another addition I think.
Midfield - McAleer and Barr were good today but again we lack pace in the wide areas.
Forwards - This area really worries me. Last season we were very poor upfront and I don't feel we have really addressed it. Basically we have replaced a proven striker in Buchanan with a relatively unknown in McShane. That's it.Don't get me wrong, he looked okay today but we really need furthering strengthening in this area. We had Ross Campbell on trial today although I cant say I am particularly excited by someone who has been released by Forfar and deemed not good enough by his dad for their team.

Re: Hearts match - views

McShane isn't an unknown. He played at Dumbarton and by all accounts was pretty decent and the Dumbarton fans rate him. We weren't great today but we aren't going to be up against teams like a Hearts every week. The squad looks decent and bearing in mind the Arbroath fans are excited by Johnstone and McBride, Clyde signed Durie and Jordyn Sheerin could sign for Berwick, we have better players.

Ross Campbell is a proven goal scorer at this level and would certainly do a job. A good performance and a better result would have been better but pre-season is all about fitness and gelling.

First look at new side today and not much to get excited about. Hearts clearly much better side and pre season all about fitness and game time so not worried at the moment as we won't face decent sides like Hearts in league 2, except Clyde of course! Mon the Fife.

I\\\'m not sure playing far higher quality opposition is actually doing us any good. We have little of the ball and hence little chance of us working on our passing and putting together some cohesive moves, not much in the way of attacking set piece situations and do we really know how we might play on the front foot rather than on the back foot which is what has happened in the past three games?

It\\\'s all good and well having\\\'prestige\\\' friendlies and no doubt these help to boost the attendances but are they helping us with preparing for life in League Two? I think we should have fixed up friendlies against League One teams and the likes of the Linos and Cowden from the bottom half of the championship frankly as these would give us a much better guide to the capabilities of this squad.

Teams like Fulham, St Johnstone, Hearts and Hamilton are not exactly high flying teams and are not really pulling in the crowds. To be beaten by them by 3/4 goals and not scoring any is not good for the EF fans to watch. Hamilton, in fact, is probably one game too many. I agree that we should be playing a team of our own standard and possibly getting a win thus giving confidence to the fans and the team. I for one will not be going to the Hamilton game to watch the same beating all over again.

Our standard is Preston athletic an gala fairy Dean , simple truth is we are shite and will be all season.

Two silly mistakes today need to be ironed out before start of season, players looking good for League 2, preseason all about gelling as practically brand new team!!!!!!

Ross Campbell is the worst player I've seen playing against eastfife. He is only playing at this level because of his dad, and he still never played much at forfar in all the years he was there. If we sign him il be shocked and fear for us as we don't need a 30 year old never has been. He doesn't even score goals and has a touch like a bouncy castle.