Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
McCrae's Battalion

McCrae's Battalion was the affectionate name given by the people of Edinburgh to the 16th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Scots, raised from volunteers in 1914 as part of the New Armies called to the Colours by Lord Kitchener. Largely composed of professional and amateur sportsmen, "McCrae's" was the first of the so-called 'footballers' battalions to be raised during the war and was the main inspiration behind the creation of the 17th Battalion Middlesex Regiment in 1915. . Heart of Midlothian comfortably led the First Division at the time the war broke out. Sixteen players from Heart of Midlothian enlisted along with 500 Hearts supporters and ticket-holders, 150 followers of Hibernian and a number of professionals footballers from Raith Rovers, Falkirk and Dunfermline fans being encouraged to follow in their heroes footsteps and fight alongside the men they cheered on every Saturday afternoon

The unit was named after its charismatic colonel, Sir George McCrae and was the subject of a detailed historical account published in 2003 by Jack Alexander. Shortly after the publication of this book, a memorial cairn was constructed in the village of Contalmaison on the Somme. Designed by Alexander, the McCrae's Battalion Great War Memorial cairn now attracts hundreds of visitors every year to the village.

It has since come to light that E.F. players were also involved in the battalion.
And that all Scottish clubs who had players who died in battle sent representatives a few weeks ago to the memorial.
Who represented E.F. at this?

Re: McCrae\'s Battalion

Suspicious?
KingOfNorthStreet
McCrae\'s Battalion was the affectionate name given by the people of Edinburgh to the 16th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Scots, raised from volunteers in 1914 as part of the New Armies called to the Colours by Lord Kitchener. Largely composed of professional and amateur sportsmen, \"McCrae\'s\" was the first of the so-called \'footballers\' battalions to be raised during the war and was the main inspiration behind the creation of the 17th Battalion Middlesex Regiment in 1915. . Heart of Midlothian comfortably led the First Division at the time the war broke out. Sixteen players from Heart of Midlothian enlisted along with 500 Hearts supporters and ticket-holders, 150 followers of Hibernian and a number of professionals footballers from Raith Rovers, Falkirk and Dunfermline fans being encouraged to follow in their heroes footsteps and fight alongside the men they cheered on every Saturday afternoon

The unit was named after its charismatic colonel, Sir George McCrae and was the subject of a detailed historical account published in 2003 by Jack Alexander. Shortly after the publication of this book, a memorial cairn was constructed in the village of Contalmaison on the Somme. Designed by Alexander, the McCrae\'s Battalion Great War Memorial cairn now attracts hundreds of visitors every year to the village.

It has since come to light that E.F. players were also involved in the battalion.
And that all Scottish clubs who had players who died in battle sent representatives a few weeks ago to the memorial.
Who represented E.F. at this?

Who represented the other clubs?

Re: McCrae\\\'s Battalion

John Robertson was representing Hearts i think.

Re: McCrae\\\\\\\'s Battalion

A gentleman named Marshall I am sorry I forget his surname went to Belgium this year and also in previous years.Falkirk and Dunfermline also had players in the Battalion.

Re: McCrae\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Battalion

raithman
A gentleman named Marshall I am sorry I forget his surname went to Belgium this year and also in previous years.Falkirk and Dunfermline also had players in the Battalion.

Did the Raith players all get shot for desertion?

Re: McCrae\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

raithman

Go to you own team's forum, Fantalk.

I`ve deleted raithmans post and will leave it up to Gof if he should be banned.

Tam
I`ve deleted raithmans post and will leave it up to Gof if he should be banned.

Why?

You should ban the little wanker that doesn't know anything.People like him should be put down at birth.

So we sent nobody to this then.
Who made that decision?

KoNS,
You obviously knew the answer to this when you posted but thought you would pull some facts from Wikipedia and then ask the question on a site where it was extremely unlikely anyone would know the answer.
If the event meant something personal to you why didn't you contact the club,preferably before the event and suggest someone should attend - although they may have for all I know.
Any personal involvement you have with the event has certainly been overshadowed by your efforts at being a fanny.