Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Trust in Bid to Buy Club

Dear Trust Member

The board of the East Fife Supporters’ Trust (The Trust) has confirmed it is working towards an offer to buy East Fife FC from the club’s major shareholders.

This follows direct contact with the club’s major shareholders by the board of The Trust to express concerns about the club’s position following the recent resignation of the East Fife FC’s chairman, Mr Lee Murray. As a result of that contact, the major shareholders indicated they would be interested in receiving an offer for their holdings from The Trust.

After the recent resignation of Lee Murray as Chairman of the club we established contact with the club’s majority shareholders to express our concerns. They indicated they would be interested in receiving a bid for their holdings from The Trust and we are now working with Supporters Direct Scotland to develop a plan to make that happen.

The Trust see this situation as an opportunity, finally, for our club to be owned by our supporters. Clearly it will require great commitment from our supporters both financially and in other ways for our efforts to succeed. Obviously much work has to be done and it will not be possible to provide updates on every detail of the negotiation but we will aim to keep everyone advised as far as we can.

Supporters Direct Scotland has already advised several other clubs on supporter buyouts including Hearts, Dunfermline and Stirling Albion. Supporters Direct Scotland has committed its full support and is currently advising on the creation of a financial package and business plan required to facilitate the purchase.

A public meeting of supporters is planned for Saturday 30th August following the club’s home match against East Stirling.

We look forward to having everyone’s support.

Re: Trust in Bid to Buy Club

Very good news. Thanks for the update Eugene.

Pipe dream

For pipe dreams go to agenda. Let's be positive about this potential new future

Brilliant news will be at the meeting

Thanks for update Eugene . It great news that the trust is off the mark so quickly. May need to revise my opinion of lack of transparency and need of a shake-up! Look forward to positive result, a lot of hard work to come.

Let's all pull together and posters not waste effort in adverse comments, think positive.

JJ
Thanks for update Eugene . It great news that the trust is off the mark so quickly. May need to revise my opinion of lack of transparency and need of a shake-up! Look forward to positive result, a lot of hard work to come.

Let's all pull together and posters not waste effort in adverse comments, think positive.

To be fair JJ, you weren't to know what we were up to and we couldn't tell you until now. I actually agreed with some of your comments but knew this was in the pipeline.

All we need now is loads of money and an army of volunteers! No biggy!

Will there be a buffet?

Great news !! A ray of hope out of all the doom and gloom of last week

maT
Will there be a buffet?

Warren? Let's hope so.

If you are willing to wait for half an hour in a queue the folk fae the pie stall will be serving up delicious cold pies at the end of the meeting.

Lets hope us supporters stay together and follow the same commitment to run a club like east fife and have a future in scottish fitbaw. I like to see the last of Twigg/Johnstone and co to have anything to do with the club we love.
Its now up to us to make this happen and buy the club and buy into it, lets stay together and support the club which is east fife football club.

So lets all don't do walking away and support the club.

Make no mistake about it this is a one-off opportunity so we HAVE to make this work. If the fans dont buy into the idea then there is no white knight waiting in the wings to ride to our rescue.
If this fails then the club will remain as is! There are other developments not least the 3G pitch that will go & be gone forever if it doesnt happen now!
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE support this or we will forever remain in the dark ages.
This model of fan ownership has worked for dozens of clubs throughout Britain, lets make our's the latest & best.
This is not the time for petty squables, if we dont like the folk running the Trust that is immaterial, they may not & probably will not be the ones that end up running the club, WE the fans will!
There will be mistakes made but they will be made with the best of intentions but the only way to influence any decisions is get involved but more importantly support it the best way we can.
Some of us might not be able to contribute much financially but we can by promoting it to everyone we know & by turning up at meetings & fundraisers.

if we do go ahead and buy the club, us supporters will need agreement from other supporters on decisions for the best of club to make a success and keep everyone happy as we have supporters sometimes who appear on here moaning at club prices, not going back to bayview etc...meetings should be held every month of every season to make the right decision for the club thats the way forward and if supporters cant make the meeting and have ideas they should e-mail the trust people or club.
like trustee the snowman said this is a one-off opportunity and i hope we become another club that the fans run like Stirling Albion are and we are going places making the club better than at the moment we are at stand still. Lets make it happen i say

Brilliant news. A good start would be for all those who pledged to the crowdfunding to withdraw and pledge it to the trust for this fund.

We need to see how much of the fund raising goes to Rankine's pocket and how much goes to developing the club.

I stated elsewhere that I believe only a nominal amount should go to Rankine - the rest will be needed to operate a club in the form of working capital.

I also don't like the idea of paying in installments - what if there is a default. A nominal upfront payment and he's gone.

Noisy_Crossbar
We need to see how much of the fund raising goes to Rankine's pocket and how much goes to developing the club.

I stated elsewhere that I believe only a nominal amount should go to Rankine - the rest will be needed to operate a club in the form of working capital.

I also don't like the idea of paying in installments - what if there is a default. A nominal upfront payment and he's gone.

You need to be realistic. A nominal amount won't happen and that being the case payment over time is probably the only way to achieve this. Default does not need to happen as transfer of shares commensurate with amount raised could be achieved.

I am sure that the trust and supporters direct have considered all options so let's let them get on with it. I am sure any agreement will be put the vote and we can have our say then.

Finally a little bit of light in a very dark tunnel. I look forward to attending meeting after Shire game. I hope we can get a great turnout for this meeting and I'm sure we will.

Trustee the snowman
Make no mistake about it this is a one-off opportunity so we HAVE to make this work. If the fans dont buy into the idea then there is no white knight waiting in the wings to ride to our rescue.
If this fails then the club will remain as is! There are other developments not least the 3G pitch that will go & be gone forever if it doesnt happen now!
This model of fan ownership has worked for dozens of clubs throughout Britain, lets make our\\\\\\\'s the latest & best.
This is not the time for petty squables, if we dont like the folk running the Trust that is immaterial, they may not & probably will not be the ones that end up running the club, WE the fans will!
There will be mistakes made but they will be made with the best of intentions but the only way to influence any decisions is get involved but more importantly support it the best way we can.
Some of us might not be able to contribute much financially but we can by promoting it to everyone we know & by turning up at meetings & fundraisers.

I think your choice of words in saying WE the fans, will be running the club instead of the people in the Trust is extremely unfair. The people in the Trust are diehard fans as much as anybody else AND they are all known. Who is Trustee the snowman and why would WE the fans, want you (for example) to run the club? I bet you will be happy for the Trust people to do all the leg work to help achieve fan ownership, so PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE support them instead of dismissing them as nobody's or I'll melt ye!

Human Torch
Trustee the snowman
This model of fan ownership has worked for dozens of clubs throughout Britain, lets make our\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s the latest & best.

I think your choice of words in saying WE the fans, will be running the club instead of the people in the Trust is extremely unfair. The people in the Trust are diehard fans as much as anybody else AND they are all known. Who is Trustee the snowman and why would WE the fans, want you (for example) to run the club? I bet you will be happy for the Trust people to do all the leg work to help achieve fan ownership, so PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE support them instead of dismissing them as nobody\'s or I\'ll melt ye!

Have you considered that Trustee the Snowman might be an active Trust member

Can I ask why the majority shareholders are willing to sell to trust but not Lee Murray and co? Slightly confused by whole situation to be honest.

Can someone from the trust clarify exactly what they are attempting to purchase from the current major shareholder. Is it football club name, stand and ground i.e. everything as we are at the moment or is it parts off where we rent the ground?

Thanks

DPH
Can I ask why the majority shareholders are willing to sell to trust but not Lee Murray and co? Slightly confused by whole situation to be honest.

I imagine that the shareholders will be willing to sell to anyone with enough readies, which last year's so-called takeover group apparently didn't have. The Trust may not have a clear run on this when the word gets out that the club is for sale.

And in relation to another post that I saw, it seems pretty clear that what the Trust will be trying to buy is control of the company, East Fife FC Ltd, and all that it owns.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for the members of the Trust board & would them to take over the running of the club but they all work full time so how can they possibly do it with everyone's help? That's why WE the supporters have to help in whatever way WE can. That's the point I was trying to make

The Trust will be purchasing a 52% stake in the club. The surrounding land and the ground would also be in any deal.

The purchase will made and be run by our \'offishal\' name which is East Fife Supporters\' Society Ltd.

This is our constituted name and, at least I think, it\'s a great name as it doesn\'t seem to lend to only the Trust. It looks, as we will be doing, to incorporate every section of the East Fife Family. Like never before, each individual supporter has a role they can play. It could be from attending a game, to painting a wall to donating their hard earned cash.

One thing for sure is that you will hearing a lot from us. We can\'t do this alone.
We look forward to seeing you all on 30th August.

Football without fans is nothing.

Kerriann
The Trust will be purchasing a 52% stake in the club. The surrounding land and the ground would also be in any deal.

The purchase will made and be run by our \\\'offishal\\\' name which is East Fife Supporters\\\' Society Ltd.

This is our constituted name and, at least I think, it\\\'s a great name as it doesn\\\'t seem to lend to only the Trust. It looks, as we will be doing, to incorporate every section of the East Fife Family. Like never before, each individual supporter has a role they can play. It could be from attending a game, to painting a wall to donating their hard earned cash.

One thing for sure is that you will hearing a lot from us. We can\\\'t do this alone.
We look forward to seeing you all on 30th August.

Football without fans is nothing.

Correct NOW is the time for ALL supporters to stand up and be counted to help out where they can and regain control of OUR club

Why change the name,The Trust is the Trust,Is this the end of the Trust. Don't like it changing.

Why change the name,The Trust is the Trust,Is this the end of the Trust. Don't like it changing.

Why change the name,The Trust is the Trust,Is this the end of the Trust. Don't like it changing. 8

Why change the name,The Trust is the Trust,Is this the end of the Trust. Don't like it changing. 8

Think the man from del monte says nay.... and thrice nay !! Ooh er missus

The man from del monte
Why change the name,The Trust is the Trust,Is this the end of the Trust. Don\'t like it changing. 8

Our legally constituted name is East Fife Supporters' Society Ltd. It's the name the Trust has always had. Any legal stuff will have to be done using our grown-up name!

Stupid spam numbers

Yeah. I'll remove them for tomorrow. Should be ok now.

Now here is a novel idea, someone has shares to sell, you pay them all the money they want as a non refundable deposit, then there is then no money left over. The working capital is what you have left over from advertising, entry to the football, corporate etc.(that is what you call income) then you pay all the staff, players, VAT, all the incidental bills, not forgetting electric, water, diesel, fertilizer and bonuses to players etc (that is what you call expenditure). If there is anything left over you might subsidise a bus or two and what is left after that is what you use to pay up the rest of the money he/she wants for the next 12 years, if not he / she keeps what has already been paid but if all the money does get paid you get share certificates. Simples!!!!! Don’t think it will catch on though.

Assuming that the price is this crazy 400k then there are a couple of problems with that idea.

1) club doesn't make a profit so won't be able to make the annual payments. Any ongoing payment comes straight out the playing budget. Could the club survive for 15 years at the bottom of the 4th division or in the lowland league.

2) Will supporters donate money to pay 400k for something that is worth far less than that? I won't.

There is also the further problem of paying the debt inherited from the existing owners.

How about instead we wait.

Let the owners deal with the debt that accumulated on their watch ...... If they can't / won't deal with that debt then they have to write off their investment.

Clear majority shareholders want out and not prepared to inject capital into the business.Surely ripe for a discounted sale subject to a detailed analysis of the current state of the club's balance sheet and forward projections.Only then will it be wise for any party to submit an informed bid. I hope this can happen within a relatively short time frame.Good luck to any potential buyer who can analyse the financial complexities, salvage the club and avoid a melt down situation.

Noisy_Crossbar
Assuming that the price is this crazy 400k then there are a couple of problems with that idea.

1) club doesn\'t make a profit so won\'t be able to make the annual payments. Any ongoing payment comes straight out the playing budget. Could the club survive for 15 years at the bottom of the 4th division or in the lowland league.

2) Will supporters donate money to pay 400k for something that is worth far less than that? I won\'t.

There is also the further problem of paying the debt inherited from the existing owners.

How about instead we wait.

Let the owners deal with the debt that accumulated on their watch ...... If they can\'t / won\'t deal with that debt then they have to write off their investment.

I'll be waiting till the trust give us info they can at the meeting on 30th.

NC - not sure if all your guessing is productive or if you have an over inquisitive mind. Why no wait till we're told all the facts. I'm presuming the reason nobody commented on your posts from the trust is because they're busy and do not yet have all the info. I don't know if club in debt but I'll hold off all the questions till we've got the firm facts. All this questioning might make people less open minded.

What? You want people to stop asking questions and raising issues? Are you mad? It is very difficult to ask too many questions right now. All scenarios must be considered if we are to go into this with any chance of success.
It is all very well to say shut up and leave it to the trust committee, but what if they get it wrong? Why should I put my money into someone else's bad idea?

It is quite important to separate out the legal entities here

East fife football club is operated by east fife football club limited - this entity generates revenue, pays costs and is owned by lots of shareholders but the twigg rankine shareholding is biggest at 52%.

The supporters trust is a shareholder of the same company and wants to increase it's holding by purchasing shares from TR.

The idea seems to be that the supporters trust raises money and uses this to buy shares

In return for presumably a five figure deposit TR gives the trust voting control of the shares.

In return the trust agrees over a period, say 10 or 15 years to pay £X per year to TR to buy the shares held. If the trust fails to pay this money in any given year the deal is off and TR have received funds towards a share purchase that then doesn't happen

Win win for TR, not a good deal for the prospective purchasers. It's like taking a mortgage on a house, paying it for years and then because you miss a payment it gets repossessed with no recompense .

In the meantime the football club is presumably not allowed to attract investment by a new share issue as this would potentially dilute the TR shareholding below 50%.

Without the ability to attract new investment into the football club ( rather than Neil rankines bank account) the football club could go under in the meantime in which case the fundraising is for nothing. The other risk is that by the time control is achieved and handed over the I club by this time has nosedived into the south of Scotland league or whatever and what you then have is a shell of what was once a proud senior football club.

Sorry if this is deemed as negative, but I suspect anyone who has a bit of knowledge on here will recognise this as the real situation we are facing.

Absolutely 100% correct. Trust committee, please cut out and keep. Your current takeover strategy is not going to work. Please think again before trying to sell this to supporters.

auld fifer
Absolutely 100% correct. Trust committee, please cut out and keep. Your current takeover strategy is not going to work. Please think again before trying to sell this to supporters.

Agreed.

auld fifer

Well, I was going to offer substantial funds to the Trust effort, but I've simply had to reconsider. Auld Fifer, the AFTN resident takeover expert, has made such a good case for not buying into this takeover, so I'm out.

Wait a minute! Just been reading through his posts again, along with some of his cohorts posts and they actually don't have a fucking clue what's going on and have no alternative plan in place! So fuck them, I will indeed pledge my money into this venture so sensible negotiations involving the Trust can take place and god-willing, have a positive outcome, no matter what they fucking idiots say to try and stop the takeover happening.

I suppose mind, that maybe they are not too keen to see their £10 Trust membership money wasted, (if they actually are members that is, which I doubt very, very much), hence their considerable efforts to sabotaging the Trusts efforts.

Dragon

Just because we don't like the mechanics of the deal being proposed ( btw ask the people invołved and they won't dispute the reality of my post) doesn't mean we don't support the idea of fan ownership

However, if a deal is a bad deal then you don't do it. Our club is on a downward spiral and this is not going to be arrested by fundraising efforts all going into paying off twigg / rankine.

What is the solution ? Tough question, it may be that ultimately we need to decline further ( administration) for a true fan funded takeover to happen

Nothing is easy but channelling any monies available to TR is not a solution by any means.

Realist
Dragon

Just because we don\'t like the mechanics of the deal being proposed ( btw ask the people invołved and they won\'t dispute the reality of my post) doesn\'t mean we don\'t support the idea of fan ownership

However, if a deal is a bad deal then you don\'t do it. Our club is on a downward spiral and this is not going to be arrested by fundraising efforts all going into paying off twigg / rankine.

What is the solution ? Tough question, it may be that ultimately we need to decline further ( administration) for a true fan funded takeover to happen

Nothing is easy but channelling any monies available to TR is not a solution by any means.

What is wrong with the Trust pursuing a course of action that has been its goal since its formation? I believe that you and the others against this happening are not Trust members, which suggests you do not like its existence and will do your utmost to stop it from controlling the club.

What is your idea of a true fan funded takeover?

Dragon
Realist
Dragon

Just because we don\\\'t like the mechanics of the deal being proposed ( btw ask the people invołved and they won\\\'t dispute the reality of my post) doesn\\\'t mean we don\\\'t support the idea of fan ownership

However, if a deal is a bad deal then you don\\\'t do it. Our club is on a downward spiral and this is not going to be arrested by fundraising efforts all going into paying off twigg / rankine.

What is wrong with the Trust pursuing a course of action that has been its goal since its formation? I believe that you and the others against this happening are not Trust members, which suggests you do not like its existence and will do your utmost to stop it from controlling the club.

Events at hearts have shown what can be achieved - the foundation of hearts raise a seven figure sum annually which will, for the first few years, repay Anne budge but thereafter provide a chunk of working capital every season to supplement normal revenue

I think hearts were taken over 100% for about £2.5m and that's a club with over 11k season ticket holders and a plot if land in west end Edinburgh, along with an established training academy run courtesy of Heriot watt university at riccarton.

By comparison, the twigg rankine model would see the club starved of meaningful investment for a decade or more. Remember £400k is for just over half the shares, valuing east fife overall at £800k. When you compare that to hearts it's a ludicrous valuation.

As for your aspersions over whether this or that poster doesn't support the trust objectives I find that personally ridiculous - I a trust member right from the start when it was launched at the Wellesley Inn on a day we got relegated

Many people support the idea of fan ownership but that doesn't mean you pretend a pig in a poke is anything other than what it is.

Realist
Dragon
Realist
Dragon

Just because we don\\\\\\\'t like the mechanics of the deal being proposed ( btw ask the people invołved and they won\\\\\\\'t dispute the reality of my post) doesn\\\\\\\'t mean we don\\\\\\\'t support the idea of fan ownership

However, if a deal is a bad deal then you don\\\\\\\'t do it. Our club is on a downward spiral and this is not going to be arrested by fundraising efforts all going into paying off twigg / rankine.

Events at hearts have shown what can be achieved - the foundation of hearts raise a seven figure sum annually which will, for the first few years, repay Anne budge but thereafter provide a chunk of working capital every season to supplement normal revenue

I think hearts were taken over 100% for about £2.5m and that's a club with over 11k season ticket holders and a plot if land in west end Edinburgh, along with an established training academy run courtesy of Heriot watt university at riccarton.

By comparison, the twigg rankine model would see the club starved of meaningful investment for a decade or more. Remember £400k is for just over half the shares, valuing east fife overall at £800k. When you compare that to hearts it's a ludicrous valuation.

As for your aspersions over whether this or that poster doesn't support the trust objectives I find that personally ridiculous - I a trust member right from the start when it was launched at the Wellesley Inn on a day we got relegated

Many people support the idea of fan ownership but that doesn't mean you pretend a pig in a poke is anything other than what it is.

I still don't know what your idea of a true fan funded takeover is. Can a true fan only be a millionaire? It is absolutely ridiculous to compare Hearts with East Fife. As for the other 48% shares, many of these share will no doubt be 'proxied' to the Trust at NO cost to the Trust (mines will), so your valuation means not a lot. I now think you must have personal issues with the Trust committee, if you say you are a member but are against it trying to gain ownership. If you are the same Realist that posts on here regularly, you are not exactly pro much anything to do with East Fife, are you?

Dragon you are missing the point. The trust should be the way ahead but it has to be the right deal if it is to be successful. We will only get one chance at this.
Agreeing to buy the club at the wrong price would end in disaster. The terms that have been mentioned on this forum already has some fans saying "i am not going to give money to this buyout bid because I do not believe it stands a chance of working even if it is accepted."
It is not about personalities, it is about getting it right.

WONT HAPPEN

It will happen,if the fans back it.

We WILL do this. Waiting for administration is not a option. We need people with the best interests of East Fife FC to be in control of the club. Please be there on Saturday and listen to what the working group are proposing.

Hear, hear. To coin a phrase often used on this site -

POST OF THE WEEK!

Fifer
We WILL do this. Waiting for administration is not a option. We need people with the best interests of East Fife FC to be in control of the club. Please be there on Saturday and listen to what the working group are proposing.

Why is administration not an option?

????
.... and what is left after that is what you use to pay up the rest of the money he/she wants for the next 12 years, if not he / she keeps what has already been paid but if all the money does get paid you get share certificates.

If there were to be anything left over, how does this money get out of East Fife FC Ltd and into the seller's bank account exactly?