Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Lee Murray

Anyone else disappointed how Lee Murray has just distanced himself from the club now? Would have had more respect for him if he still came to the games and sat with the fans?
No wonder some folk think he was just on an ego trip

Re: Lee Murray

poor show
Anyone else disappointed how Lee Murray has just distanced himself from the club now? Would have had more respect for him if he still came to the games and sat with the fans?

Somebody remind us just exactly what he did for the club.

Alf Wit
poor show

Somebody remind us just exactly what he did for the club.

I don`t know Lee Murray or anyone on the current or past boards. I also do not know the reasons behind Lee leaving apart from what was in his statement.

However no one could doubt that the man was committed to the club and devoted many hours of his own time to try and move the club forward.

Yes mistakes were made but Lee was the first to admit, In sessions with the fans etc,that he had made mistakes and would learn from them.

On that basis I think it is unfair to ask what he has done , unless you have also put hundreds of hours in (unpaid) to help the club.

One of my concerns with a fans takeover is the stick their nominees are going to get for grafting hard (possibly making mistakes also)and devoting their time to take the club forward - if that the scenario we will pretty soon run out of volunteers to help as they will be put off by the stick from our so called fans.

Finally, maybe Lee Murray is staying away as he doesn't want to appear as if he is trying to cause trouble for either the current board or the Trusts attempts to gain control of the club.

Pretty sure i saw him outside the ground at full time on saturday,his waiting staff seem to still be doing the hospitalty as well.

I noticed him sitting in his car outside the first building you come to in the energy park when I was walking over to the innovation place on Saturday for the meeting. I wondered if he was wanting to see how much interest there was or just generally being nosey, I'm sure someone will know.

He would be his car there as that is where Flood Inns offices are

There's a bit of an unwritten rule that former chairmen stay out of the way after their tenure ends so as not to cast a shadow going forward.

Lee was in the away end on saturday.

KotS
There's a bit of an unwritten rule that former chairmen stay out of the way after their tenure ends so as not to cast a shadow going forward.

Yes, I can confirm that. Probably the biggest downside of being Chairman. Lots of upsides though!

I saw Lee at the game on Saturday in the away end.
He probably sat quietly there to stop a side show when we really needed to concentrate on getting the win.
I really hope his involvement at the club is not over - he was the most forward thinking chairman we've had.

Poor show hi

I would like to personally reply to your post. I have tried to stay clear of the club as much as possible, but have communicated with the board as much as possible to help with the change over.

I was at the East Stirling game before i went on holiday (which was pre-planned)

I miss the club hugely and I am gutted how things have turned out. I would like to think internally most people would feel that i did a decent job and worked very hard for EF. There is no doubt i learned a hell of lot trying to run EF and i would have loved to have left the club in a better financial position. Nobody wants to leave a business in a bad situation, but i truly believe everything i tried to put in place for the club was done for the right reasons. I hope you can see that the team we built 'can' win the league and take us back up to L1 and hopefully build from there. On the park i believe we are a lot better than where we were last season. maybe my problem was trying to do too much to quick? what really hurts is when 'fans' question your commitment to EF! anyone who knows me personally knows that i gave everything to the club and financally it cost me a lot of money and i have left a hell of a lot in the club and not asked for it back. I will always support EF and look for the result every Saturday. I wish the fans and the board the very best of luck and have offered my help to both parties.

I know its very easy for people to come on this forum and take a pop at me or anyone who steps up to the mark! but i truly believe that everyone who offers their support to the club should be welcomed with open arms. EF need everybody who wants to help.

If your dissappointed in me i get that honestly. but don't say i don't care or didn't give it everything I could because that just is not the case.

monthefife

Lee

Decent job? Came in and allegedly took over club, (Bullshit) puppet on a string like the rest. Directed us to relegation (well done btw) then fucked off. Where is that a decent job? Sorry Lee but most supporters I've spoken to just slate you, nothing else....

Spot on response Lee

I don't doubt Lee's commitment as he was always down at the club whenever I dropped in.
However, I would question his and his fellow board members financial stewardship of the club during his tenure.
I was of the understanding that prior to Lee and his team arriving East Fife were in a reasonably healthy financial position and had very little, if no debt to speak of. Please correct me if I am wrong here btw. Now we hear figures of £150K, possibly more, in debt and the club is staring into the abyss.
Lee if you were still in charge how did you propose to deal with this? How have we arrived in this position?
I appreciate Lee's openess and willingness to come onto the forum but at the moment I cannot get my head around what appears to have happened at our club and would appreciate clarification.
If indeed Lee felt he was in it for the long haul then why is he not pooling resources with the supporters take over bid?
Lee I have to say I did believe in you and sat agog at your first takeover meeting with the fans. I bought it hook, line and sinker and believed we were on the up. Having seen it unravel I now feel like an idiot.
The biggest frustration now is that yes we have a team that could win the league but administration might get us first

I seem to remember the board getting slagged off before Lee arrived at the club. Now I am reading above that the old board had the club on a sound financial footing, however Collumbine was slagged off just the same as Lee is now. It is the same with the various managers we have had over the "social media" years!

The truth is the usual people who regularly whinge on here, will never be satisfied with any board, or any manager, because they just like to criticise and whinge. Sad bastards! Unfortunately, they will not go away!

"i would have loved to have left the club in a better financial position"- what exactly was the financial position you left the club in?

Interested? as I said in my post "Please correct me if I am wrong here btw". What was the financial position of the club prior to LM getting involved?
I am not a whinger, sad bastard etc. just a honest fan of 40 years or so who feels he has been bowled a googley whilst being sold a dream.

Jimbob
"i would have loved to have left the club in a better financial position"- what exactly was the financial position you left the club in?

This is the worrying quote which gives some substance to the hearsay of 150K debt. As I understood before Lee took over we were financially in a relatively healthy condition with no debt but maybe struggling football wise. All I can put down to our deteriorating financial position is an increase in the wage bill whether for players or otherwise. We had better crowds and missed out on a good cup run but otherwise income would seem to have held up well. so it must be outgoings where we have failed.

I do not doubt Lee's commitment to the club and applaud his dream of progress for the club. Where he failed? was it lack of business acumen despite being apparently a successful businessman in his own right? Or lack of support either from the board or his own financial team who were to take over the club?

He blamed his resignation on the attitude of the major shareholders and I think they did mess him about regarding the sale of shares. Let's face it most of our problems over the last 10 or so years have been the result of their attitude in particular the support for oor Deek.

Let's hope we can go forward with the first step to get rid of these toxic shareholders but I feel we can look forward to more shennanigans from them in our negotiations. Our diligence should shed some light on what has happened in the last season

Albert Tatlock
I don't doubt Lee's commitment as he was always down at the club whenever I dropped in.
However, I would question his and his fellow board members financial stewardship of the club during his tenure.
I was of the understanding that prior to Lee and his team arriving East Fife were in a reasonably healthy financial position and had very little, if no debt to speak of. Please correct me if I am wrong here btw. Now we hear figures of £150K, possibly more, in debt and the club is staring into the abyss.
Lee if you were still in charge how did you propose to deal with this? How have we arrived in this position?
I appreciate Lee's openess and willingness to come onto the forum but at the moment I cannot get my head around what appears to have happened at our club and would appreciate clarification.
If indeed Lee felt he was in it for the long haul then why is he not pooling resources with the supporters take over bid?
Lee I have to say I did believe in you and sat agog at your first takeover meeting with the fans. I bought it hook, line and sinker and believed we were on the up. Having seen it unravel I now feel like an idiot.
The biggest frustration now is that yes we have a team that could win the league but administration might get us first

Interested? as I said in my post "Please correct me if I am wrong here btw". What was the financial position of the club prior to LM getting involved?
I am not a whinger, sad bastard etc. just a honest fan of 40 years or so who feels he has been bowled a googley whilst being sold a dream.

Albert, you said you were led to believe that the club were in a healthy financial position before Lee took over. You seem to suggest in your first post, that you believe the club is in a poor financial position now, because you are asking Lee how he would deal with it. Deal with what? You don't know if the club is in a dire financial position or not, so why are you asking Lee a hypothetical question?

As I said, only an excuse to have a go at directors, or managers. Are you just an honest fan? You say you now feel like an idiot, why? What did you lose yourself? A personal financial investment? Why should you feel like an idiot? I don't and I was hoping things would have turned out better too. But I still go to Bayview and support East Fife. I see signs of better things to come and I don't see what there is to gain by all these criticisms. What will be, will be and having a go at Lee won't change anything. I would have thought that a man of advanced years like yourself, would have more sense than to think you were sold a dream. What did it cost you, out of interest?

To Lee Murray, better to have tried and failed than failed to try.
Half the doubters and Oh I would do this and that, probably have achieved little in their own life's bollocks to them you had a go in difficult circumstances. Ok it went pair shaped but you don't get much time to learn in the fitba game. Mon the Fife