Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Board Incompetence

The current board are running the club into the ground through lack of money or business nous.

The true debt accumulated in the last year or so sits at around £150,000.

Money was put into the club last month to pay wages and is only a stopgap till next time around.

Takings from the Rangers cup tie in 2012 which we were told were part invested has gone.

The club is in the worst state of it's life and the board are keeping everyone in the dark and beleive they can save the club.

So bad you couldn't make it up.

Re: Board Incompetence

I cant believe that our game against Threave Rovers is going to cost £13!!!

Supporter where is your information coming from? I am not doubting the veracity of your post, but if true that is catastrophic and is a game changer when taking cognisance of the current state of affairs. Flaps to manual EFFC going down?

Supporter
The current board are running the club into the ground through lack of money or business nous.

Money was put into the club last month to pay wages and is only a stopgap till next time around.

Takings from the Rangers cup tie in 2012 which we were told were part invested has gone.

The club is in the worst state of it's life and the board are keeping everyone in the dark and beleive they can save the club.

I'd like to know the source of this info. However, with the way Murray appeared to spend the cash last year, it wouldn't be a surprise. Sad times if true.

Debt of over 150k for last season? Source or is this more random bullshit on Aftn....

Any info on who that 150k is due to?

The lesson from this, I guess, is that football clubs are damned expensive to run. It is going to be difficult enough for the supporters group to buy the club - but to fund the running costs as well!! That may be the real challenge.

Supporter, you have our attention.
Now its time to cut to the chase... Where did the info come from???

That might not be something he/she wishes to reveal.

Doesn't mean it isn't true.

Why do the owners want to sell again..... Bruce black told us that they wanted to see the club in community ownerships.

Seems like the due diligence might expose the real reason.

Bruce - as an insider in all of this care to comment.....

Supporter

If the board are keeping everyone in the dark, how do you know what is going on?

Interested?
Supporter

If the board are keeping everyone in the dark, how do you know what is going on?

Also, If what you say is true, why would the current board want to buy the club??

From what I've also heard, the board have put their hands in their pocket to keep the club afloat these past few weeks and meet the day to day running costs.

I would think they would be interested in buying the club to protect that investment, amongst other reasons.

They should be applauded for doing this and not just asking the fans for help to bail them out.

That said, how they allowed to let the club get into whatever mess it is currently in (and 150 grand seems like a hell of a lot) is a whole other matter.

How much of it is at their door, how much of it is at Murray's and how much is at the owners is the burning question and may or may not be revealed with the Trust's due diligence investigations.

Worrying times in any case.

GoF
From what I've also heard, the board have put their hands in their pocket to keep the club afloat these past few weeks and meet the day to day running costs.

I would think they would be interested in buying the club to protect that investment, amongst other reasons.

They should be applauded for doing this and not just asking the fans for help to bail them out.

That said, how they allowed to let the club get into whatever mess it is currently in (and 150 grand seems like a hell of a lot) is a whole other matter.

How much of it is at their door, how much of it is at Murray's and how much is at the owners is the burning question and may or may not be revealed with the Trust's due diligence investigations.

Worrying times in any case.

How do we know things are in a bad state and why does the OP not put some legitimacy into his claims, rather than leave the rest of us wondering if he is, or not, just out to cause mischief? It wouldn't be the first time someone has done so on this forum. How many times over the last few years has similar negativity been posted about the club on here, yet it still survives?

Ask the current directors to deny the mess the club is in? If they do, you will soon find out they have been lying.I suspect at this tage there will be a wall of silence rather than answers. An open meeting with supporters would be a start to establish how bad things are and what plans they have to turn things around. I suspect however that this will not happen and the club will either drift into adminsitration or liquidation.

The only real hope is for the supporters through the EFSS buyout plan to take over as owners and pool the wide range of resources to get the club onto an even keel.

Supporter

Not true in fact the club had a surplus of £50K which is a worry for the board as they are at loggerheads how to spend it.

Well this has as much legitimicy as the above. The current due diligence will show the true picture so let's wait and see.

Supporter
Ask the current directors to deny the mess the club is in? If they do, you will soon find out they have been lying.I suspect at this tage there will be a wall of silence rather than answers. An open meeting with supporters would be a start to establish how bad things are and what plans they have to turn things around. I suspect however that this will not happen and the club will either drift into adminsitration or liquidation.

The only real hope is for the supporters through the EFSS buyout plan to take over as owners and pool the wide range of resources to get the club onto an even keel.

Supporter, I question if you really are a supporter. Why are you bring this up now? What proof do you have? What has the current board been lying about as you say? Apart from them making a statement that they have a proposed plan to buy out the major shareholder I cannot remember them saying anything. Why would they have an open meeting? If you are a shareholder you will get a copy of the accounts at the AGM like the rest of us. I assume the last board (of which two trust members were part of for most of the season) will stand by the accounts if it is as bad as you say, bearing in mind at the AGM last season I cannot recall a £150k loss being evident. Stones and glass houses spring to mind!!!! Where have the wide range of resources you speak off been in the past.

Supporter

The board are being accused by you, so I would like proof of what you have said, from you! What happened to innocent before being proven guilty mate - prove it! If you can't provide that, then I suggest you zip it!

Why should we go to the bother of phoning, writing to the board, or going down to Bayview to ask them, when you can prove all the facts right here on AFTN?

I did say that if the club deny the points raised then they will be lying, as yet there has been nothing said, so I am not saying they are at present lying.

I have been a supporter for years and have the club at heart, that is the reason I Feel the need to highlight the awful mess the club are in.

Feel free to accuse me of hiding behind a keyboard etc but the fans are not being made aware of the true financial state we are in.

If you want to bury your head in the sand then go ahead but what purpose will that serve?

Would be interested in solutions to the problem not slagging of the messenger.

Left unchecked the club is on life support, with supporter backing it can survive.

Forza East Fife

Supporter for some reason I believe what you are posting and that worries me. I think the club is financially drowning, clinging on for survival but we the supporters are being ostracised from the reality. If we get or don't get a good cup run we are doomed I don't think EFSS will be enough? The only way for survival is somebody with money to bail us out and I can't see that happening! Tick tock tick tock.!

Drastic Dave
Supporter for some reason I believe what you are posting and that worries me. I think the club is financially drowning, clinging on for survival but we the supporters are being ostracised from the reality. If we get or don't get a good cup run we are doomed I don't think EFSS will be enough? The only way for survival is somebody with money to bail us out and I can't see that happening! Tick tock tick tock.!

I agree too. I don't disbelieve the original poster. As he/she said, only if the board deny this would they be fibbing. Their silence has been deafening.

Another poster asked why would they try launch their own. Fair question. However, did their bid require loads of cash from them? I got impression that the onus would be on EFSS to secure final minutes to have a chance of a say. To me that's just a blazer saving exercise.

Supporter
I did say that if the club deny the points raised then they will be lying, as yet there has been nothing said, so I am not saying they are at present lying.

I have been a supporter for years and have the club at heart, that is the reason I Feel the need to highlight the awful mess the club are in.

Feel free to accuse me of hiding behind a keyboard etc but the fans are not being made aware of the true financial state we are in.

If you want to bury your head in the sand then go ahead but what purpose will that serve?

Left unchecked the club is on life support, with supporter backing it can survive.

Forza East Fife

You are raising 'points' you say, but in actual fact your original post was one accusing the board of -

1. Running the club into the ground and having no business nous. - This is much the same board that has been there for years, so how come the club hasn't folded already?
2. Money was put into the club last month to pay wages. - Where did the said money come from? You obviously know, so enlighten us. Was it yours?
3. The Rangers money has gone. - Explain how you know this please?
4. The board are keeping everyone in the dark. Okay, then so are you by not divulging what you profess to know about the state of the club. At least the board believe they can save the club (your words). What are you doing to save the club?

Your last post says that others are burying their heads in the sand, well mines isn't buried in the sand and I haven't heard a scooby of proof of what you are saying. How come you think you are a messenger, when you have not told us anything with an ounce of evidence to back it up?

As for the two posts after your last one, well it must be right what you are saying, cos they 'think' somehow that they believe what you are saying, again they have not an ounce of evidence and rely only on their 6th sense!

Interested?
Supporter

Forza East Fife

You are raising 'points' you say, but in actual fact your original post was one accusing the board of -

1. Running the club into the ground and having no business nous. - This is much the same board that has been there for years, so how come the club hasn't folded already?
2. Money was put into the club last month to pay wages. - Where did the said money come from? You obviously know, so enlighten us. Was it yours?
4. The board are keeping everyone in the dark. Okay, then so are you by not divulging what you profess to know about the state of the club. At least the board believe they can save the club (your words). What are you doing to save the club?

Your last post says that others are burying their heads in the sand, well mines isn't buried in the sand and I haven't heard a scooby of proof of what you are saying. How come you think you are a messenger, when you have not told us anything with an ounce of evidence to back it up?

As for the two posts after your last one, well it must be right what you are saying, cos they 'think' somehow that they believe what you are saying, again they have not an ounce of evidence and rely only on their 6th sense!

I'd rather not err on the side of the original poster tbh. But, the first post doesn't seem to have been made with venom behind it and is worded in a manner which makes me think there's a truth to it. My opinion obviously differs from yours but I'm not saying you're wrong though. If Supporter chooses not reveal their source, does it mean it's a lie?

Lets just say for 1 minute the OP is correct, where does that leave us?

Take on a club riddled with debt (and who's to say it's not more than stated here) and start again with no one from the present regime involved (after all, if the OP is correct, then the current regime must take some of the blame for the state we are in)

Or go into administration and hope that the team get enough points to avoid being bottom.

I personally think there is some element of truth in all of this, after all, why after all this time is the club now for sale when previous approaches were rejected and in such a fashion?

if we were debt free and asset rich, why has no multi millionaire consortium been in to buy us?

1. Look at last years board compared with before and after.

2. Nope, not me but a current director has told of the need to raise money to pay running costs, which was covered by the board.No plans in place for the next shortfall due now.

3. The latest accounts filed at Companies House show nothing of the supposed investment of £100,000 in a bond, this has not happened.

4. I have more faith in the proposals put forward by the EFSS than the current board who have got us into this state. Therfore I we ill pledge support to them if the proposals look good,otherwise administration or liquidation beckons.

The proof will be on the pudding.

Another Supporter
Interested?
Supporter

Forza East Fife

I'd rather not err on the side of the original poster tbh. But, the first post doesn't seem to have been made with venom behind it and is worded in a manner which makes me think there's a truth to it. My opinion obviously differs from yours but I'm not saying you're wrong though. If Supporter chooses not reveal their source, does it mean it's a lie?

By not revealing what he professes to know, he is then just as bad as what he is accusing the board of. Don't you get that?

I've heard from a few well connected Fife fans that we are in trouble. How can we go from being debt free over a year ago to being up shit creek a few months later? The way the club was run under Lee Murray I'm not surprised theres debt but exactly how much. Some serious questions need answered. The supporters deserve so much better imo.

It's time the board had a meeting with the fans and tell us exactly what position the club is in and what needs to be done to secure our future.

I also believe what the OP is saying. You just need to goto matchday at Bayview and watch what's going on behind the scenes and keep your ears open to realise all is not well. Also charging 20 QUID a ticket for the circus act coming to town tells its own story!

Why were concessions charged £10 for today's game ? Stewards were not particularly pleasant when asking people for proof of age at the gate. I know a few elderly season ticket holders who had not brought there season ticket with them as they had no need for it and did not have proof of age with them and ends up having to pay £13 to get in to the game against Threave Rovers ! My mum who is 85 years old was asked to prove her age at the gate - are the Club really trying to drive people away ? Season ticket holders were treated quite shabbily in my opinion. Why was the proof of age rule not highlighted on the website so people could have brought proof or carried their season tickets ?
A flyer was also handed out at the turnstiles with the wrong information on it stating that the Rangers game is on a Saturday !!! Why are these things not checked before being distributed ? - it's embarrassing !
Also did the Board discuss with Clyde the possibility of playing next weeks game on the Friday or the Sunday ? Kicking off next eek at 1.00 is of no help to those East Fife fans who also attend Scotland games. I take a minibus of school kids to every Scotland home game and will have to leave at half time next week. I've no doubt others who are going to the Georgia game won't be at the Clyde game at all and no doubt some Clyde fans will also miss out. If Clyde had been approached and turned a switch down then why not tell us that ? The lack of communication is going back to the dark ages !

Seems a poor service at the turnstiles but I must say that I have never had any trouble in paying my money and never have had to show ID. Maybe I am just an old looking 62 year old. Nor was I given any handout about the Rangers game???

I agree about the Clyde game, a Friday night game would have suited all, players and supporters and let them support the national team. I too will have to leave at half-time to travel to Glasgow. Maybe the crowd numbers will be affected because of a lack of foresight. If Clyde have poo pood the idea then fair enough but why not let us know. The club should not be alienating supporters like this!!!!!G

I seem to remember Lee Murray trumpeting at a meeting in the first few weeks of his stewardship that the budget for last season was less than the season before. Now by my reckoning we had the highest attendance figures at Bayview in many years. Two bumper gates against the Glaswegian mutants , and two decent gates against the pars. So the gate money against a decreased budget should not add up to a 150 grand loss. Agree with Andy why could the current board not try and communicate with the fans more. I think we have made a big mistake not trying to get the Clyde game for the Friday night. Last few times we tried this we had decent crowds, and with the feel good factor about the team the last few weeks, I am certain a few more fans would have came out to see what Gary is building. In the current state of football finances you would think they would be scheduling games with supporters in mind. Would be interested if any board member can clarify why we are playing a game when there is a good chance our core support cant make the game.

Supporter
1. Look at last years board compared with before and after.

2. Nope, not me but a current director has told of the need to raise money to pay running costs, which was covered by the board.No plans in place for the next shortfall due now.

3. The latest accounts filed at Companies House show nothing of the supposed investment of £100,000 in a bond, this has not happened.

4. I have more faith in the proposals put forward by the EFSS than the current board who have got us into this state. Therfore I we ill pledge support to them if the proposals look good,otherwise administration or liquidation beckons.

The proof will be on the pudding.

Supporter you may be, I cannot understand why you keep agitating though, all this does is cause unrest among the fans. Can I take up your points one by one.
1. Three of the board who took over the club have left, as well as another board member (also on the Trust Board) who was on the board for the whole of last season. Why did they all leave so soon after the revolution and why did the trust member leave on such a sour note. Explain what happened and you might have some valid point to be disgruntled about.
2. If there are no plans to replace the shortfall due NOW, within the next week or so we should be insolvent? What proof of that have you!!
3.How would a bond from 2/3 seasons ago show up in the accounts at companies house, I am sure everyone is pretty certain it has been spent, I think this has been discussed to death. What would be more relevant was what happened to the Rangers games money last season.
4.I am like you (I suppose)a member of the trust and the Supporters Club. Now the Supporters Club gets between 20-30 persons at their meetings which happen monthly. The Trust had less than a dozen at their last meeting and 18 including the top table at their last AGM. What makes you think the supporters power of the Trust you talk about is likely to make any difference. Do the Trust have the 120+ members we heard talked about in a big box with a "Only to be opened in case of a takeover" The last takeover was the only time they came out in numbers, that says a lot for their decision making, given our position now and the fact that 2 Trust members were on the board last season. Who do you have in mind to lead us forward? Come on, stop agitating and get behind the club like a real supporter if the mess is as bad as you say it is.

The owners either pay the debt or handover the club (and the debt) to new owners. If the speculated (and reported) debt is indeed correct Rankine (and his representative) are out of the picture - looks like their attempt to get 400k from the fans has been rumbled. Good.

I hope that the EFSS are in discussion's with the major creditor(s). I'd imagine that the creditors would get a better deal with EFSS directly rather than a deal with any administrator. In administration, only the administrator wins.