Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
East Fife v Annan

So the first ever meeting between the clubs today, we need to make sure it's an unhappy one for our visitors.

Think this is a crucial match that could well shape the rest of the season. A win and we're back in the mix at the top end of the table, a defeat and mid table mediocrity could beckon. Last week aside we have been on a good run playing well and scoring goals. We have shown we can beat anyone on this league so let's get at this lot guys and get the three points!

Re: East Fife v Annan

Time to go Naysmith. You've had more than sufficient time to prove you are yet another hopeless manager in the merry-go-round of incompetence at this club.
A fucking shambles to be honest.

I used to care about this club. Now I cant be arsed with it.

That was an embarrassment to the name and history of East Fife Football Club.

Thank goodness Annan equalised. If EF had won after a performance like that, then they might as well stop football here and now.

The players have certainly answered Gary Naysmith's question about whether they want to win this league or 'just drift'.

As for Naysmith, I'm not really a 'sack-the-manager' merchant but it would take a special ability for anyone to get a worse set of performances from that squad of players. A shambles.

Absolutely livid!

I asked this at the game and nobody knew, so I'll through it out here to see if any FIFA 15 superstars can give me an answer!!!

Why did we have a central midfielder playing at right-back and why did we have a right-back playing in central midfield???

Just wondering like!!!

And before anybody starts, no I'm not attempting to belittle Gary Naysmith, I still have faith in him, but what I think today showed, was how shallow our playing pool actually is!!!

We have two left backs, both injured, Campbell played there last week, we had to play our best right-back there today, who only managed to prove that as a left-back, he's a great right back!!!

We have three central defenders, one was suspended, so we were forced to play Campbell, who is quite clearly struggling and playing with an injury much to the detriment of his game. If Moyes was available I'm quite sure Campbell would have been rested!!!

We have a central midfield that can't create or hold the ball, again not a dig but it is blindingly obvious that we have some excellent defensive midfielders but no kingpin!!!

And lastly we had no Kevin Smith, don't know what was up with him, but his absense did show how much we do rely on him, as he is the only player we have who can link between midfield and attack, he creates as many as he scores and his absense only highlighted his importance!!!

If you look at the bench today, there wasn't a defender on it, it was all forwards and a midfielder who has just come back from injury, the only subs that were made were the two with the most experience and that included Fash and Beaton and when you think how new they are to the senior game that in itself should highlight our depth, or lack of it!!!

So think about it,

Naysmith - injured
S.Smith - injured
K.Smith - injured
Cook - injured
Moyes - suspended

So before you all start calling for Naysmith's head, remember you can only pish with the cock you've got and with probably a quarter of your squad unavailable for selection, all of which are probably from your first 11, then Naysmith's cock has been considerably reduced!!!

King Kebab
I asked this at the game and nobody knew, so I'll through it out here to see if any FIFA 15 superstars can give me an answer!!!

Why did we have a central midfielder playing at right-back and why did we have a right-back playing in central midfield???

Just wondering like!!!

Cos Naysmith is clueless?

sad times

Manager of the Month mate!!!

Just let that sink in...

Calm doon boys....he gets till Christmas!

Totally agree with above posts. This was the worst performance in a long time. How we got a point out of this shambles is beyond me. Are Annan that poor?

Two home games against teams below us in the league and we steal one point!

As somebody else said why do we have a midfielder at right back and a right back in midfield, both looked like fish out of water. One of Lewis Barr's few starts is wide on the left, another fish out of water? Would Beaton, a left sided player not been a better shout?

Last week against Clyde we punted high balls up to Mcshayne and Fash but they were picked off by 2 giant central defenders. Would not McAleer getting round the back of the defence not been a better shout?

I have not criticised the manager up to now but 1win, 2 draws and 2 defeats at home is not great is it. Thank goodness for a couple of really good away results against Arbroath and Montrose. What did we do right in these games??

King Kebab
sad times

Manager of the Month mate!!!

Just let that sink in...

Oh well that's ok then. For a minute i was getting worried.
Still doesn't explain why we're sitting mid table in a shite league with Arbroath miles ahead playing our ex dross.
Mate.

Because, they have more points than us...

...mate!!!

King Kebab
Because, they have more points than us...

...mate!!!

And why do they have more points than us?

Mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be so precious, they have more points than everybody!!!

In fact they've only lost ONE game this season, can you guess who that was against...

...mate???

This is getting a bit stale ...mate!

King Kebab
Don't be so precious, they have more points than everybody!!!

In fact they've only lost ONE game this season, can you guess who that was against...

...mate???

Yes, that's because the mighty Fife are such a formidable force eh.
Arbroath, a team full of our rejects.
Kind of begs the question why Naysmith couldn't get anything out of these players.
Then again he did get MotM so he must be great huh.
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

black knight
This is getting a bit stale ...mate!

Agreed. I'll refrain from using 'mate'.
He's clearly deluded (and blind)

sad times

Yes, that's because the mighty Fife are such a formidable force eh.
Arbroath, a team full of our rejects.
Kind of begs the question why Naysmith couldn't get anything out of these players.
Then again he did get MotM so he must be great huh.
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

What exactly is your point???

Yes on the day East Fife were a good Team managing to inflict Arbroath's only defeat of the season, we beat that team of rejects, isn't that what you would want???

Naysmith couldn't get anything out if those players because they were shit, so got rid of them, then proving his point by then beating them with a team full of his own players, whilst getting the MoM award himself!!!

So I'll repeat, what the fuck, exactly is your point???

Point is what is the use of beating Arbroath when we switch off at home and take 5 points out of 15

Who
Point is what is the use of beating Arbroath when we switch off at home and take 5 points out of 15

That's a much better question!!!

But take it game by game,

Do you really think our play and performance merited defeat too;

v Berwick???

Game of two halves, should have been a draw, caught out when chasing for the winner!!!

v East Stirling???

We won, but I don't personally think we played particuarly well, in fact we played better against Elgin and Berwick and lost, didn't see anyone coming out to slate the performance then!!!

v Queens Park???

A draw against the side currantly sitting 2nd, two evenly matched teams IMO, fair result??? I thought so!!!

v Clyde???

Fucking robbed, should have been 5-0 up at half-time, best I've seen an East Fife team play in years, just couldn't put the ball in the back of the net

v Annan???

Worst performance I've seen since last season, but I'm content with the reasons I have suggested for this!!!

What would the likes of Sad Times and even yourself have done to get a different result, it was obvious to anyone, that that team was as makeshift as it possibly could be, without actually filling it with trialists!!!

Even the Almighty Arbroath wouldn't be able to cope with half their starting 11 out injured or suspended, remember Annan are on a 6 match unbeaten run and they still looked no beter than we did, even in our dilapidated state!!!

We were pish, we had half a team out, we still didn't get beat, I know it's not much but try to take solace from that!!!

Well said, hopefully back to winning ways next week once the Rangers game out the way!!

Agree with king kebab

Different takes:

I don't think we deserved a draw against Berwick, we were abject for long periods. Great game v QP I agree but they were not second in the league when we played them, they were below us in fact. East Stirling, well everyone beats them regardless of how well they play. Clyde, yes we should have won but blew so many chances we got what we probably deserved and Annan, not at game but dreadful by all accounts so a lucky draw it was.

We are in the league were we deserve to be and unless there is a big improvement, especially at home, 5th might be the best we can hope for.

All about opinions eh?

Another take using "logic" -

We are obviously better than Arbroath, East Stirling, Montrose, just as good as Annan and QP, but worse than Berwick, Albion, Clyde and Elgin.

So being where we are in the league kinda goes against the fact that we got beat from Elgin, Berwick & Clyde and we beat Arbroath & Montrose.

Also, if Annan got a draw, it was as much as they deserved because they couldn't beat us, just like we couldn't beat Clyde.

In other words, all the teams are in the same boat and who would wager where they will all be in the league come the end of the season? Using logic in football doesn't work!