Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
jumping through rankine's hoops

While we are all welcoming the possibility of taking control of our club, consider the timing of the shareholders willing to sell their shares and the latest acceptance of a bid. Is it a coincidence that is only days before the SFA hearing re Rankin's interest in more than one club? Now it can be said that there is a deal to sell the disputed holding in EF which can be put forward at the hearing. I wonder if there is other deals similar at the other clubs?

The lee Murray era ended because he stated that the shareholders continually stalled their deal and not investing in the club. Who's to say this will not happen with the directors offer? Meanwhile we are battling with each other on here and the EFSS and directors disagreeing. Rankine is laughing and rubbing his hans at the prospect of another non-returnable deposit. And another in the wings if the director's bid fails and the trust puts in a similar bid.

I would suggest this is not the way to go and the directors should withdraw the bid before the hearing. Then we/they should raise the money and buy after 5 years or in tranches over this time. WE have waited over 10 years so patience may pay dividends and not spend money in deposits and due diligence.

There are things that are not being said because of confidentiality or otherwise and the fans cannot be trusted with such information. I am worried the director's bid is a dodgy deal to the benefit of Rankine as I cannot see any benefit otherwise!

Re: jumping through rankine's hoops

JJ
While we are all welcoming the possibility of taking control of our club, consider the timing of the shareholders willing to sell their shares and the latest acceptance of a bid. Is it a coincidence that is only days before the SFA hearing re Rankin's interest in more than one club? Now it can be said that there is a deal to sell the disputed holding in EF which can be put forward at the hearing. I wonder if there is other deals similar at the other clubs?

The lee Murray era ended because he stated that the shareholders continually stalled their deal and not investing in the club. Who's to say this will not happen with the directors offer? Meanwhile we are battling with each other on here and the EFSS and directors disagreeing. Rankine is laughing and rubbing his hans at the prospect of another non-returnable deposit. And another in the wings if the director's bid fails and the trust puts in a similar bid.

I would suggest this is not the way to go and the directors should withdraw the bid before the hearing. Then we/they should raise the money and buy after 5 years or in tranches over this time. WE have waited over 10 years so patience may pay dividends and not spend money in deposits and due diligence.

There are things that are not being said because of confidentiality or otherwise and the fans cannot be trusted with such information. I am worried the director's bid is a dodgy deal to the benefit of Rankine as I cannot see any benefit otherwise!

My theory, only mine mind n could be rubbish, is that it's all smoke n mirrors. Where are the directors getting their 400k (guesstimate based on shareholders own valuation) from? I've two conspiracy theories. One - rankine buying time till after hearing and two, Murray behind bid and board can't say coz rankine won't deal with him again.
just theories eh but everybody loves a story.

JJ
While we are all welcoming the possibility of taking control of our club, consider the timing of the shareholders willing to sell their shares and the latest acceptance of a bid. Is it a coincidence that is only days before the SFA hearing re Rankin's interest in more than one club? Now it can be said that there is a deal to sell the disputed holding in EF which can be put forward at the hearing.

It is no coincidence. JJ's suggestion is on the mark. This deal (which is not a deal at all) has been announced now to try to shake off the SFA, as JJ suggests. Making the announcement has committed Loraine to nothing, but it might be enough to fool some people. The agreement to sell is worthless and could be dropped tomorrow.
Why else would Loraine Johnston Twigg put her name to a public statement, with her first comment on her shares since the day they were put in her name?

What we are being asked to believe this week is a long, long way from the real story. The same happened when these people first 'invested' in East Fife. Rumours that a six year old girl owned the major shareholding were scoffed at and dismissed. When this was proved to be true, it was then denied that Neil Rankine was involved. Now even Rankine admits to:

1 Advising Loraine to invest in East Fife in the first place
2 Having a personal relationship with Loraine
3 Having an office in her house
4 Advising Livingston to seek a £40,000 loan from Loraine
5 Recommending that East Fife appoint Sid Collumbine as chairman
6 Advising East Fife to put £100,000 into a bond for a 'rainy day'
7 Loaning East Fife £5,000
8 Advising East Fife to appoint a manager who had just been sacked by Livingston (and must have been owed compensation)
9 Advising Loraine not to accept a previous offer for her shares
10 Currently being Loraine's official advisor

Oh, and not forgetting that he set up a holding company to take over Livingston. And how is the East Fife directors bid structured? Through the setting up of a holding company, of course! Surprise surprise!

watching
JJ
While we are all welcoming the possibility of taking control of our club, consider the timing of the shareholders willing to sell their shares and the latest acceptance of a bid. Is it a coincidence that is only days before the SFA hearing re Rankin's interest in more than one club? Now it can be said that there is a deal to sell the disputed holding in EF which can be put forward at the hearing.

It is no coincidence. JJ's suggestion is on the mark. This deal (which is not a deal at all) has been announced now to try to shake off the SFA, as JJ suggests. Making the announcement has committed Loraine to nothing, but it might be enough to fool some people. The agreement to sell is worthless and could be dropped tomorrow.
Why else would Loraine Johnston Twigg put her name to a public statement, with her first comment on her shares since the day they were put in her name?

What we are being asked to believe this week is a long, long way from the real story. The same happened when these people first 'invested' in East Fife. Rumours that a six year old girl owned the major shareholding were scoffed at and dismissed. When this was proved to be true, it was then denied that Neil Rankine was involved. Now even Rankine admits to:

1 Advising Loraine to invest in East Fife in the first place
2 Having a personal relationship with Loraine
3 Having an office in her house
4 Advising Livingston to seek a £40,000 loan from Loraine
5 Recommending that East Fife appoint Sid Collumbine as chairman
6 Advising East Fife to put £100,000 into a bond for a 'rainy day'
7 Loaning East Fife £5,000
8 Advising East Fife to appoint a manager who had just been sacked by Livingston (and must have been owed compensation)
9 Advising Loraine not to accept a previous offer for her shares
10 Currently being Loraine's official advisor

Oh, and not forgetting that he set up a holding company to take over Livingston. And how is the East Fife directors bid structured? Through the setting up of a holding company, of course! Surprise surprise!

And your point is?

Lot of paranoia/chinese whispers/theories on AFTN at the moment.

I suggest we wait until Monday nights Meeting.

When the details are then made public, let the debate begin.

sammy
Lot of paranoia/chinese whispers/theories on AFTN at the moment.

I suggest we wait until Monday nights Meeting.

When the details are then made public, let the debate begin.

We have been told lies and half truths for 15 years. Why should that change on Monday? It's the same people who have been there for much of the time that supporters have been kept in the dark.
At the last public meeting, John Donaldson couldn't even bring himself to say what last year's debt was, even though it is public knowledge.
If you leave Monday's meeting thinking that you know the full story, you've been mugged.

fed up fan

At the last public meeting, John Donaldson couldn't even bring himself to say what last year's debt was, even though it is public knowledge.

How much exactly is it FUF?

Significant enough for the owners to want to try punt the club.
Significant enough to put off anyone wanting to buy the club (i.e. not rent it).

The poster formerly know as Rab scoffed at the range of my estimate: 60K-150K. I'll revise my guess to be 120-150K. But the level that the debt is at is one thing...... it is where it is going that is a bigger concern. With revenues declining.....and costs squeezed as much as they can be it's pretty clear something has to give.

I'll listen with interest to hear how the gang of four plan to turn their loss making venture into a profit making one.

FUF says everybody knows how much, so why are you estimating NC?

You still form your posts to suggest you are NOT wanting the directors venture to succeed? That could mean cheerio East Fife? Very strange, when you started another thread by stating you have supported East Fife all of your life, yet you seem very keen to see them folding??

Of course i WANT the gang of 4 to succeed.I just don't THINK they will.

In fact, I FEAR they will do more damage than good.

I DO NOT WANT EAST FIFE TO FOLD.
(seems rather silly having to write that but hey ho - there might be someone out there that actually believes the twist you put on things)

Any that's right - I am estimating - because John Donaldson chose not to answer the question I put to him (other than to say he'll answer it by year end at the AGM).

You jest NC. You have not posted one positive comment. No "come on fellow fans, let's make this succeed and let's discuss the best way for us fans to have a say on the board" type comments. Nope, only pessimism, more pessimism, followed by even more again and again.

So would you agree that FUF is talking rubbish when he says everybody knows how much the debt is and is simply using his imagination again??

Ringo
You have not posted one positive comment.....only pessimism, more pessimism, followed by even more again and again.

Oh the irony!

My mate once told me that I didn't understand irony.

Which was ironic since we were at the bus stop at the time.

Avoiding the question yet again Mr M.. eh Mr NC.

Do you agree that FUF is posting rubbish when he states that EVERYBODY knows how much the debt is? I notice he hasn't come up with the precise figure yet. He must think we ALL know, so doesn't need to repeat it here? C'mon FUF, how much is it neebs?

Are you having a wee discussion with yourself, sorry FUF before you answer?

Ringo
Are you having a wee discussion with yourself?

I know it's been said before, but...

Ooohhh, the irony!

Ringo

Do you agree that FUF is posting rubbish when he states that EVERYBODY knows how much the debt is? I notice he hasn't come up with the precise figure yet. He must think we ALL know, so doesn't need to repeat it here? C'mon FUF, how much is it neebs?

Why have you put the word everybody in capital letters, when I didn't say that in the first place?
I was referring to last year's debt as reported to the club agm. John Donaldson was asked for the current debt but refused to give it, saying that anyone who wanted to know would have to go to the agm, which could be any time until April. He was then asked for the debt reported to the last agm a year ago. He refused to give that figure either, even though it is no longer confidential and he had no obligation to shareholders to withhold the information. This said a lot about his attitude to fans who had gathered to try to build a better future for East Fife.

fed up fan
Ringo

Why have you put the word everybody in capital letters, when I didn't say that in the first place?
I was referring to last year's debt as reported to the club agm. John Donaldson was asked for the current debt but refused to give it, saying that anyone who wanted to know would have to go to the agm, which could be any time until April. He was then asked for the debt reported to the last agm a year ago. He refused to give that figure either, even though it is no longer confidential and he had no obligation to shareholders to withhold the information. This said a lot about his attitude to fans who had gathered to try to build a better future for East Fife.

I think Mr Donaldson may have been unable to give out that information due to the club's owners instructions, so he probably had no option. Maybe you can ask the lawyer or banker amongst you (maybe you) to explain this possibility?

Anyway, this is what you said, so apologies for using a different word to describe this -

Well, I am one of the public and I don't know, so how much is it FUF?

No need to ask anyone for expert advice, because all that is required is common sense. The information does not belong to the club owner, and the club owner cannot gag another shareholder.
That was quite a lame attempt to make excuses for John Donaldson. There are times when it is better to say nothing Ringo.
FYI public knowledge means available to those members of the public who are interested enough to look it up. It does not mean that the government writes to everyone over the age of 18 to inform them individually. If you want to know, go and look it up. Off the top of my head I don't know what the figure is but I could look it up. If you are so keen to know the figure, I suggest you do just that and stop asking me to do your work for you.
As I said, Mr Donaldson's evasiveness said a lot about his attitude to East Fife fans.

Sorry Mr Fed up Fan, but Jocky, sorry Interested, sorry, Ringp told me to say that he's very busy at the moment and couldn't possibly comment just now, I think it's because there's a big Board meeting at Bayview tonight.

Oh dear, I can't remember now, if I was to give you all of that message or just part of it,

Ach well, I don't suppose it'll matter we're all friends here aren't we?

Why no ask mr blawbag Murray last years debt???The price ov failure eh,un then he un his cronies just fuck off un leave us all falling oot wi wan inither.Yes there was debt before he came,but Christ,a dinnie want ti think what it will bi like noo.Were signing the Nade brithers!!!!!!fuck sake,it still macks mi cringe

fed up fan
No need to ask anyone for expert advice, because all that is required is common sense. The information does not belong to the club owner, and the club owner cannot gag another shareholder.
That was quite a lame attempt to make excuses for John Donaldson. There are times when it is better to say nothing Ringo.
FYI public knowledge means available to those members of the public who are interested enough to look it up. It does not mean that the government writes to everyone over the age of 18 to inform them individually. If you want to know, go and look it up. Off the top of my head I don't know what the figure is but I could look it up. If you are so keen to know the figure, I suggest you do just that and stop asking me to do your work for you.
As I said, Mr Donaldson's evasiveness said a lot about his attitude to East Fife fans.

So that means to me YOU DON"T KNOW! Your original post suggested that you know what it is and now you are backtracking. Why don't you just wait and see what is actually happening before posting hypothetical comments, designed only to condemn the directors? For goodness sake, what could be easier? You just can't help yourself having a go every chance you get.

The public knowledge you speak of, didn't stop another numpty from posting individuals addresses on AFTN, did it?

Ringo, in the last 5 years, do you think the directors of the club have done a good job?

shareholder copy of the accounts for the previous few seasons.
2013 Loss of £26,000 despite getting £140,000 from the tie at Ibrox
2012 Loss of £13,000 despite £40,000+ from tie at Pittodrie
2011 Loss of £38,000
2010 Loss of £125,000

Now I know there is no figure stating actual debt but makes for poor reading.

Anyone have any idea what the 2013/14 figure is?

Ringo
So that means to me YOU DON"T KNOW! Your original post suggested that you know what it is and now you are backtracking. Why don't you just wait and see what is actually happening before posting hypothetical comments, designed only to condemn the directors? For goodness sake, what could be easier? You just can't help yourself having a go every chance you get.

The public knowledge you speak of, didn't stop another numpty from posting individuals addresses on AFTN, did it?

Communicating with you really is pointless Ringo. My original post did not 'suggest' I knew. It said that John Donaldson refused to provide details which are public knowledge. There was no issue over confidentiality stopping him. Whether I know the figure is neither here nor there, but you want to make this your point of attack. It helps to distract away from John Donaldson's evasive answer and his lack of respect for East Fife supporters, doesn't it?

I think they have tried and they have tried by doing things in response to the fans wanting various things. If anything, that in my view may be the root cause of our problems. No continuity on the park, managers and players being replaced every season, sometimes during the season with the managers. Bear in mind, not all of the current directors were on the board 4 or 5 years ago and of course last year, there was a quite different structure in place at the top of the table.

I know it is a common statement to refer to SAF and his early days at Man Utd, but most managers need time and so do players. That hasn't really happened with us. Take the season before we got promoted with Baikie. We missed out the first season, but the following season we walked away with the league, with virtually the same team and manager from what I can remember. Since then we have not had a manager for more than one season virtually. This season, the team has been completely new apart from 3 or 4 players I think and on top of that we have been plagued with injuries. How is it possible to get a settled team on the park?

fed up fan
Ringo

Communicating with you really is pointless Ringo. My original post did not 'suggest' I knew. It said that John Donaldson refused to provide details which are public knowledge. There was no issue over confidentiality stopping him. Whether I know the figure is neither here nor there, but you want to make this your point of attack. It helps to distract away from John Donaldson's evasive answer and his lack of respect for East Fife supporters, doesn't it?

No it doesn't. You just want to twist it to make it look like that. As I said, there may be valid reasons for it. And sorry FUF, you did imply that you knew. It is you that is distracting from the directors efforts to buy the club.

What manager should we have stuck with Ringo?

Noisy_Crossbar
What manager should we have stuck with Ringo?

I would have given them all longer, but I particularly liked Steve Crawford, who had the team playing attractive football and may have gotten us somewhere if he wasn't hounded out. Also, I think John Robertson would also have built the team successfully. I think Gary Naysmith should be given time as well. What about you NC? By the way, the treatment handed out to Gordon Durie even when he was ill, said a lot about some fans on this site.

Ringo
fed up fan
Ringo

No it doesn't. You just want to twist it to make it look like that. As I said, there may be valid reasons for it. And sorry FUF, you did imply that you knew. It is you that is distracting from the directors efforts to buy the club.

By the way, why do you keep classing all the supporters as one unit, when there is clearly only a few of your type that ever posts negatively on here? I don't even think there is that many of you as the usernames would have you believe!

Ringo
I don't even think there is that many of you as the usernames would have you believe!

Ooohhhh the irony.

Peter Best
Ringo
I don't even think there is that many of you as the usernames would have you believe!

Ooohhhh the irony.

Well said Pete. Guid to see 'new' faces on this forum! Hiv tae say though, you soond kinda poofy? Isn't it ironic that you, me and Ringo are aw named efter drummers tae!

drummers......

Yiz are aw poofs!

Ringo
fed up fan

The directors efforts to buy the club remain firmly in focus. Don't worry about that.
I don't believe their bid will be successful, even if it is accepted. Not enough people will support it. You are the only person on this forum who backs it to the hilt, just like you have backed everything the directors and owners have done since you started posting as Jocky. Never a single word of criticism in six years. It surprises me that you expect people to give you any credibility. No wonder people think you are a director. I hope you are not, because a director coming out with the shit you spout would be a disgrace to EFFC.

fed up fan
Ringo
fed up fan

The directors efforts to buy the club remain firmly in focus. Don't worry about that.
I don't believe their bid will be successful, even if it is accepted. Not enough people will support it. You are the only person on this forum who backs it to the hilt, just like you have backed everything the directors and owners have done since you started posting as Jocky. Never a single word of criticism in six years. It surprises me that you expect people to give you any credibility. No wonder people think you are a director. I hope you are not, because a director coming out with the shit you spout would be a disgrace to EFFC.

What 'shit' is that then?

You have never posted a single comment of praise and maybe that is why you have such a childish username? You do know what 'shit' means don't you, because you are full of it? As for being the only person on this forum backing the directors, I don't mind you saying that at all. You say it as if it is a bad thing to do. I am backing them as they are the only people who have a bid on the table.

There is NO other bid!

Haven't you noticed that or are you too stupid to understand that FACT?

Before you have a go at my username, I play drums and it's my nickname.

Awfully convinent that the board decide to make a bid just before Rankines day in front of the SFA . If the supporters group was part of this bid I would have some confidence in it . Zero in this bid's current setup. It's a simple question I ask myself why buy east fife today ?? The board have had access to purchase for years but have'nt . Again why not wait a week or 2 why right now ?? Because rankine says so eh ?

Ringo, you are a liar. I know exactly who you are and your agenda.
You`re certainly no drummer and your not affectionately known as Ringo to your very few friends.
Why don't you use your old name Jocky? Is it because everyone thought he was a twat as well?
If i were as sad as you i`d out you on here but nah, I`ll keep everyone and you guessing.

Sad sad old man that you are.

Sorry cringo, but you are way wrong there. Strong words but not unusual to see on this site. God bless you.

Feel free to 'out' me, btw. You won't, because you haven't a clue, just like you don't have a clue about many of the things stated on this thread and others related to it. Plus you are shit scared to, because you may get into trouble.