Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Black and Gold Heroes

Not East Fife, silly, but Alloa Athletic. Brilliant stuff from the Wasps last night.

Note to Board and their apologist supporters: That is how to run a football club and they do it on a limited budget with a far smaller base support than us. Alloa puts us to shame frankly. Maybe go and visit them and see how it's done?

Well if we go tits up then I think I might just chuck my lot in with Recreation Park crew. At least I won't have to fork out on a new scarf and hat.

Re: Black and Gold Heroes

Stop using every other thing that goes on in
football and turning it into something to have
a dig at the supposed team you support.

Be happy for Alloa but support your own team.

Why break the habit of lifetime? Some people just like to criticise, full stop.

Get a grip
Stop using every other thing that goes on in
football and turning it into something to have
a dig at the supposed team you support.

Be happy for Alloa but support your own team.

I am very happy for Alloa but I despair for my own club. What are you so defensive about?

And the criticism is fair. It is ludicrous that East Fife now look up to Alloa both on and off the pitch. How was that allowed to happen? Do you not think the Board (and previous ones to be fair) has something to answer for?

Bury your head in the sand if you want but East fife are a club on the brink and plenty of people have no confidence that what is now being proposed in the so-called takeover will be change anything at all.

Alloa have managed to beat Rangers for the first time EVER and you are saying we should be looking up to them. Do you think that one result makes them a model club? Have you checked out their league position? That tells a different story and they could well be relegated this season and who knows, maybe relegated again the following season? Their record speaks for itself.

Maybe their more recent record since 2012 is due the backing their supporters give them? Maybe players like Buchanan play better when there is good support behind them? Maybe the same goes for the ex-East Fife players at Arbroath? Have a think about that.

As for saying looking up to Alloa on and off the pitch, nothing could be further from my mind. I do not give a hoot about what they do. Did their supporters look up to us when we put Aberdeen (a Premier League team) out of the cup away from home - I doubt it? Their fans would be pleased for us, just like we are pleased for them and that is all.

Have to admit, I saw a lot of similarities between Alloa chairman Mike Mulraney and Lee Murray when he arrived last season.
Both forward thinking and looking past the traditional and tried and tested methods.
Just shows what can be achieved with some thinking outside the box.

Listen I love my club and have seen more down's
Than up's in the 44 years I've been going,since
My dad was allowed to take me to the games.

There has been worse times,we spent 10 years
in this division when we moved down from the
old ground and only got oot it cause of a certain
Mr gray's money.

We need a reality check here,stop comparing
What is happening at other clubs to our own.

Stranraer were no where either for years now look
at them,be happy for them and others.

Our time will come again,but in my opinion
You have to watch out who you let into the
club,we have had our fingers burned with what
happened last season and the current board
are left to pick up the pieces.

?
Alloa have managed to beat Rangers for the first time EVER and you are saying we should be looking up to them. Do you think that one result makes them a model club? Have you checked out their league position? That tells a different story and they could well be relegated this season and who knows, maybe relegated again the following season? Their record speaks for itself.

Maybe their more recent record since 2012 is due the backing their supporters give them? Maybe players like Buchanan play better when there is good support behind them? Maybe the same goes for the ex-East Fife players at Arbroath? Have a think about that.

As for saying looking up to Alloa on and off the pitch, nothing could be further from my mind. I do not give a hoot about what they do. Did their supporters look up to us when we put Aberdeen (a Premier League team) out of the cup away from home - I doubt it? Their fans would be pleased for us, just like we are pleased for them and that is all.

Should we rest on our laurels, content that we beat Rangers 40 years ago?
We have played Rangers six times since they went bust. Played six, lost six. If you want a comparisn, what spells out the difference between us and Alloa is not wins or points. In six games, or nine hours of football, we have not scored a single goal.

fed up fan
?

Should we rest on our laurels, content that we beat Rangers 40 years ago?
We have played Rangers six times since they went bust. Played six, lost six. If you want a comparisn, what spells out the difference between us and Alloa is not wins or points. In six games, or nine hours of football, we have not scored a single goal.

So you rate how good a club is by how they get on against Rangers? What about East Fife beating Premier League Dunfermline & Aberdeen in the League cup, in the same season Alloa were relegated to the 3rd division. What are you trying to prove by judging East Fife against Rangers? All you are doing is highlighting a tiny blip in the history of football by comparing us against an Alloa result against Rangers. Come back in 5 years and brag about Alloa after they win the Premier League, The Scottish Cup or The League Cup, then I might take some notice of that glorious little club and your daft comparison.

Are you saying East Fife will be in a better position 5 years from now than Alloa?

If so, can i have some of what you are smoking please?

We won't win any new fans on the basis that we used to be a great club, one that the community was proud of, one that won cups and competed at the top of Scottish football.

As proud as I am of our history, it is still history. For the club to survive in the present, it needs to be competing here and now. I'm not saying we have a right to even be where Alloa and Cowdenbeath are (imagine making that statement in the 50s, or even the 80s) but I think we at least need to be in a position where we are not completely out of the title race in a piss poor league before its even Christmas.

If some fans want to live in the past and bury their head in the sand about our current predicament, then that is fine. But its a good job our heroes back then wanted to make their own glory, rather than live off the past achievements of those before them.

Can we attract young fans to Bayview and get them to come back? Maybe there will be the odd exception, but on a whole I'd say no chance.

Are teams like Alloa attracting new fans because they are organised and successful on and off the park? Yes.

That is why, in the current situation, they look to have a future in the game, whilst we look destined for oblivion.

Living off past glories and thinking we should get excited about knocking out Dunfermline, a team that used to be one of our peers and when beating them would be a matter of routine.

I am saying that results against Rangers are immaterial and are not a marker about how successful a club is or will be. I'm pretty sure Third Lanark beat Rangers more than once and look at what happened to them.

Are you saying that Alloa will be in a better position than us in 5 years time? Are you saying that Alloa are now no longer in danger of getting relegated, because they beat Rangers?
Do you think football will never change now that Alloa are in a better position than East Fife are just now and that time will standstill for all clubs, because Alloa beat Rangers? Why bother with football if it was that simple and predictive.
Why don't you come and live in the real world, instead of your simplified, everything is obvious because Alloa beat Rangers, world?

Oh, any chance you can do my fixed odds this week and every week, until I become a millionaire?

?
I am saying that results against Rangers are immaterial and are not a marker about how successful a club is or will be. I'm pretty sure Third Lanark beat Rangers more than once and look at what happened to them.

Are you saying that Alloa will be in a better position than us in 5 years time? Are you saying that Alloa are now no longer in danger of getting relegated, because they beat Rangers?
Do you think football will never change now that Alloa are in a better position than East Fife are just now and that time will standstill for all clubs, because Alloa beat Rangers? Why bother with football if it was that simple and predictive.
Why don't you come and live in the real world, instead of your simplified, everything is obvious because Alloa beat Rangers, world?

Oh, any chance you can do my fixed odds this week and every week, until I become a millionaire?

Let's ignore Alloa's result against The Rangers then, and focus on the fact that their board have done a tremendous job off the park, whilst appointing the right guys to manage the team. They won consecutive promotions to the Championship, and are more than likely to stay there this season. Even if they were to go down, they would be in a higher division than us next year.

We on the other hand, have been shite (bar a couple of seasons) for over 20 years, and have spent most of that time in the basement league. We continue to struggle in a very poor division this season, and over £150,000 has vanished and nobody seems willing or able to say where it went.

So, am I saying that Alloa will be in a better position than East Fife in 5 years time? Unless something very drastic happens at board level here, then absolutely, yes.

?

Why answer any questions, when you can ask six of your own to deflect attention away from the embarrassing facts? No one on this forum agrees with you Jocky. There is no point in you trying to convince people that you are right and they are wrong. Look at the support you have won for the four directors. Zero. Congratulations.

How about we stop the bickering and try to pull together in the same direction?
Personally I think the directors' bid was premature and they should have attempted to negotiate a reduced price or at least waited for the outcome of the Livingston hearing.
But we are where we are and these guys have put up their hard earned in an attempt to get rid of the Twigg-Johnston consortium who have quite obviously got no interest in the well-being of our club.
By all accounts the financial position is not too great so let's make an effort to find some common ground and get us out of this mess. Wringing our hands and pointing fingers is going to get us precisely nowhere except for losing the club we all support. Come on guys eh?

Supporter
Personally I think the directors' bid was premature and they should have attempted to negotiate a reduced price or at least waited for the outcome of the Livingston hearing.
But we are where we are and these guys have put up their hard earned in an attempt to get rid of the Twigg-Johnston consortium who have quite obviously got no interest in the well-being of our club.
By all accounts the financial position is not too great so let's make an effort to find some common ground and get us out of this mess. Wringing our hands and pointing fingers is going to get us precisely nowhere except for losing the club we all support. Come on guys eh?

All very noble but do you really think that there is common ground between the vast majority of people on this forum and Jocky? I would be more confident about the future of the club without him. We might support the same team but Jocky's idea of what East Fife needs is my idea of how the club will eventually die.

Don't kid yourself that the directors are trying to get rid of Twigg/Rankine. They might be put in charge but their deal will not remove the owners.

PS you are right that there sbould have been no bid before the Livvy hearing was finished, but the whole point of announcing a (non) deal at that time was to try to give the impression that Rankine no longer has any influence at East Fife. If Rankine is rumbled, expect another statement from Loraine about the deal being "just about to be signed off by my lawyers"

fed up fan
Supporter

All very noble but do you really think that there is common ground between the vast majority of people on this forum and Jocky? I would be more confident about the future of the club without him. We might support the same team but Jocky's idea of what East Fife needs is my idea of how the club will eventually die.

Don't kid yourself that the directors are trying to get rid of Twigg/Rankine. They might be put in charge but their deal will not remove the owners.

Can you explain what the directors are doing with regard to Twigg/Rankine and back that up with hard facts please, not what you are simply imagining in your tiny head? And pleeeease, don't go on about Jocky etc AGAIN! It gets really boring when that is all you can come up with to somehow justify your accusations. And don't kid yourself either, the 'vast' majority of people you talk of on this forum are in single figures, at most between 10-20. The only way to guarantee how many use this forum is to have a registration system that for some weird reason is not liked much by the AFTN hierarchy?? Maybe it would settle once and for all, just how many whingers there really are?

I think the Alloa chairman has plenty money at his disposal and has the club at heart,however Twigg ,Rankin have no interest in East Fife and Murrey had no money in the first place.Would love to see East Fife again on an even keel financialy,however I fear things will get worse before they get better.Alot still to come out I fear!!!!!

All we can hope for is more clarity after meeting on 9th of December. Surely to fuck the board would want to work alongside the supporters, the supporters are the future of club at the end of the day. What a horrible situation we are in.

I thought the board were wanting to work with the supporters through the trust, but the trust are going through a process which in the end might result in no supporter involvement other than individual fans investing privately? We can only hope that the right solution can be found and everybody can and will work together. When hard money is involved, people generally don't put others before themselves unfortunately and that applies to all sides!

I have yet to meet a supporter who backs the directors bid at the moment . My biggest concern is simply why now ? If this "takeover" is not the work of rankine then our board have done the guy a massive favour for free, If the new owners want any of my money to help run club ...don't know if they do need it tbh Nobody has asked me for any ? ....I hope for all our sakes the 4 will provide the details required to allow us all to move forward.

?
Can you explain what the directors are doing with regard to Twigg/Rankine and back that up with hard facts please, not what you are simply imagining in your tiny head?

For you, no.

?
And pleeeease, don't go on about Jocky etc AGAIN! It gets really boring when that is all you can come up with to somehow justify your accusations.

Aww, poor wee Jocky! All these bad boys calling him different names ... that he made up himself.

?
And don't kid yourself either, the 'vast' majority of people you talk of on this forum are in single figures, at most between 10-20.

The threads about ownership on this forum attract 1500 - 3000 hits.

?
The only way to guarantee how many use this forum is to have a registration system that for some weird reason is not liked much by the AFTN hierarchy?? Maybe it would settle once and for all, just how many whingers there really are?

If that settles once and for all who you are, I would not like to be in your shoes.

fed up fan
?
Can you explain what the directors are doing with regard to Twigg/Rankine and back that up with hard facts please, not what you are simply imagining in your tiny head?

For you, no. SURPRISE, SURPRISE!

?
And pleeeease, don't go on about Jocky etc AGAIN! It gets really boring when that is all you can come up with to somehow justify your accusations.

Aww, poor wee Jocky! All these bad boys calling him different names ... that he made up himself. You will never learn, will you?

?
And don't kid yourself either, the 'vast' majority of people you talk of on this forum are in single figures, at most between 10-20.

The threads about ownership on this forum attract 1500 - 3000 hits. - MEANS NOTHING, could be the same person doing it several times over, like yourself for example.

?
The only way to guarantee how many use this forum is to have a registration system that for some weird reason is not liked much by the AFTN hierarchy?? Maybe it would settle once and for all, just how many whingers there really are?

If that settles once and for all who you are, I would not like to be in your shoes.
IS THAT A THREAT FROM AN INTERNET TROLL?

You have lost all credibility with your last post laddie.

Neutral
I thought the board were wanting to work with the supporters through the trust, but the trust are going through a process which in the end might result in no supporter involvement other than individual fans investing privately? We can only hope that the right solution can be found and everybody can and will work together. When hard money is involved, people generally don't put others before themselves unfortunately and that applies to all sides!
When the board are unwilling or unable to answer very basic questions then the supporters group are right not to dive in. As I said earlier it's a fucking shambles, hence the reason I no longer attend home games. There's another meeting scheduled for the 9th, let's hope there's a better understanding off the clubs situation but don't hold yer breath.

DPH, you are saying you won't attend any
more home games,thats your choice but
in my opinion thats pathetic and only multiplys
the problems by not giving your club much
needed revenue.

Have a look at Dunfermline and what there previous
boards got them into,what did there fans do.??
Did they say fuk it am no going back.

No they rallied round and saved there club
and are still helping there team by going to
games and selling out there corporate meals

So you have made a choice and I really hope
you change your mind and get back to what
people like us do.support our team our club.

Not a threat. Just pointing out that your comments are unpopular, and you could expect to be challenged on them in public if you put your name to them. Imagine if you were a director for instance. You would have to resign.
If you want registration, that means you too.
I don't think we have to search back too far to find your attempts to 'out' Noisy Crossbar. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Get a grip
DPH, you are saying you won't attend any
more home games,thats your choice but
in my opinion thats pathetic and only multiplys
the problems by not giving your club much
needed revenue.

Have a look at Dunfermline and what there previous
boards got them into,what did there fans do.??
Did they say fuk it am no going back.

No they rallied round and saved there club
and are still helping there team by going to
games and selling out there corporate meals

So you have made a choice and I really hope
you change your mind and get back to what
people like us do.support our team our club.
I find it pathetic that directors publicly slate fans and won't answer any questions ref takeover. I also find it pathetic that we are in debt despite making thousands from the Rangers games, esp tie at Ibrox. When Columbine left he publicly stated that we were debt free and the club was in good stead so what's happened? I can no longer waste time and money trying to support a club with zero ambition and a board that are happy to rot in lower leagues. Hopefully the truth will come out eventually and we can move on from this sorry affair. I await with interest what gets said at meeting on 9th December.

Do you not remember who was in charge for
the last season.

From what I can remember the current board
we're pushed out and a different board took
over.

Now these guys are back again,when they
had every right to walk away after being pushed
out.

They didn't and they are back which shows
character and how much East Fife means
to them.

To sum up,think about who was in charge
last season and then start pointing fingers.

Hiya John

Incoming thats the kind of answer I expect
from someone who knows I'm stating facts.

tell me I'm wrong,that these guys were in
charge of the club at that time.

I think you will find it was lee Murray,brian mcneil,
Davie Hamilton as vice chairman.

Will I stop with the facts now.

These guys probably got into running the
club with the best intentions at heart.

They gave it a go and failed now we are all
picking up the left overs of a disaster of
a failed season and it is obviously harder
to run a club than they thought.

Rankine/Johnstone/Twigg or whoever was in charge and have been for years. Lee Murray was just a puppet on a string just like the current board. Are you saying Lee Murray filled his pockets before fucking off? There was clearly no takeover and I don't believe for 1 minute that the current board will fully takeover either. I will post no more until we get further info after scheduled meeting. Fingers crossed the supporters and board can come up with a plan to save club.

It's getting exciting. Can't wait for Get a grip to start an argument with ?. Then Ringo might step in to calm things down only for Interested? to call Ringo a jumped-up- dummy-fcuk-wit. Think I'll sit near the directors' box tomorrow afternoon.

I think lee murray would take the puppet on
a string comment and probably shove it up
your arse.

He doesn't strike me as a puppet and I think
that comment is an insult to the man.

Like i said he had and others probably had
the best intentions but it didn't work out the
way they wanted it,doesn't help us now though.

Get a grip
I think lee murray would take the puppet on
a string comment and probably shove it up
your arse.

He doesn't strike me as a puppet and I think
that comment is an insult to the man.

Like i said he had and others probably had
the best intentions but it didn't work out the
way they wanted it,doesn't help us now though.

He would probably take you're comment about leaving the club in a mess and shove that right up yer arse aswell. And for what it's worth he was a puppet on a string. All talk. Fact

Hmmm,what I said there wasn't a personnel
insult like you have just done by calling him
a puppet.

And he and others have left the club in a
mess fact....remember there were others.

Get a grip
Do you not remember who was in charge for
the last season.

From what I can remember the current board
we're pushed out and a different board took
over.

Now these guys are back again,when they
had every right to walk away after being pushed
out.

They didn't and they are back which shows
character and how much East Fife means
to them.

To sum up,think about who was in charge
last season and then start pointing fingers.

You think it shows character? It probably does, but not the sort you infer. If they had real character they would be men of principle who resigned when they were marginalised. Instead they clung on go their blazers and now want to run the club like a car boot sale.