Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Favourite players, matches and moments at Christmas

These are mostly gonna be before most people's time but I dont care,.
favourite player of all time... George Dewar..forget Messi et al...Geordie Dewar is my all time footballing hero. I totally idolised him and what you learn as a puppy stays with you

others Bertie Millar, Jinxy Kinsella ,, George Yardley and only just in my time, Sammy Stewart. All fron a long time ago because it was then that I was attending home and away every week.

Fav matches?
a 3 3 draw against Rangers at Ibrox in the 60s
The 2 0 win against Celtic in ?
a3 2 victory in Lino Land in the quarter final of the league cup?
The win at East Stirling to win the League.
the last day of the season 2 2 draw at Arbroath and wee boaby's screamer

fav other memories

having my picture taken with Alan Gilzean before a pre season behind door friendly.. cant remember why I was there.
first season ticket at 15 shillings/75 pence. I was so proud.
just being behind the goal with the big boys
forlorn love for the girl who stood at the corner flag who I was at school with. I was too much of a wimp to talk to her but we used to exchange furtive glances

More recent thoughts?

Re: Favourite players, matches and moments at Christmas

favourite match was 2-0 cup win at old bayview against hibs
worst moment was climbing over the back gate for a midweek cup game against Dundee and the ground was empty...match was postponed.
fave player was davie clarke

Yes – I remember Bertie Miller, Jimmy Kinsella and the great George Dewar! Colin O’Brian (?) A.K.A the buffalo girl (always goes round the outside) Stevie Kirk, Gordon Durie, Davie Clarke plus many, many others…..
2-0 Hibs is up there but I really enjoyed the away matches with a car full of pals! We used to stop at the Crook of Devon (I think) for their famous banana boats!
Some of the random highlights:
• Scoring a last minute equalizer away ay Kilmarnock when we were never in the game (Jenkins?) – After being given a lecture by stewards and police for bad language (not directed at Kilmarnock!)
• Chinks antics at Queens Park – very, very funny!
• Chinks antics at Berwick – legend!
• One of the lads caught behind the pie hut at Alloa with one of the girls who was supposed to be working – class!
• Having a laugh with referee Waddell (I think), after an Arbroath game in the pub across the road. He gave as good as he got and was enjoying the banter. He had refereed a game a few weeks before (Forfar?) and sent off our center half (can’t remember his name but he was a big lad) – we thanked him!
• To the best of my memory, one of the biggest away support I witnessed was against Hibs in some cup competition. We lost and had bottles thrown at us but had a great time singing!

Earliest memories at Bayview.

Bert Allan in goals (was he not a teacher at Aberhill School), also Dick Donelly, and George Yardley (who doubled as a centre forward), Krusziky (who let in 6 at Parkhead including throwing one in the net), Billy McGann (wee but very agile).

Full backs - Bob Stirrat, Sammy Stewart, George Orphant ( who I think was seen in goals and up front), Doug Souter, Ian Printy.

Half backs - Jim Walker (took no prisoners), Alan Guild(might have went down South to play), Jake Young, Alex Wright, Jim Bryce, Bobby Waddell, all before the likes of Martis, Borthwick, McLaren, Rutherford, Cairns etc.

Forwards - George Dewar (legendary goal scorer), Ian Stewart (chipped in with a few goals as well), Jonny Lawlor and Jimmy Kinsella (2 of the weeist (footballers ever seen), Bobby Waugh, Bobby Ross and Hamish Watt (baldy heid and name front teeth)

Ps saw Andy Waddell in Markinch coffee shop this week, looks like he can do a job still!!!!!!

The New Year 70's games are the ones I remember most back in the day when we actually played on January 1st (Why doesn't this happen any more?). Beating a great Hibs side at Bayview in'72 with a Billy McPhee special the highlight, the Jim Hamilton screamer at the school end against Arbroath a year later (in front of 5,000 fans FFS, could you imagine an EF/Arbroath game with a crowd that size now?). Beating the Linos in '75 and '77 both at Bayview and again in front of big crowds, the latter game featuring a Billy Gillies double. And very memorably, the late Drew Rutherford thumping in a terrific long range free kick at East End Park in '76 to get a late draw in the snow and the big man running half the length of the pitch to celebrate on his knees in front of the ecstatic big Fife travelling support. Ah, what days.

Sadly only old memories are what we are left with now because long lasting new ones are not being created other than the odd unexpected gem like at Aberdeen a few years back. Let's face it no-one will be writing about the 2005-2015 period with any affection in 20/30/40 years time will they?

2007 St Mirren 0 East Fife 1 (SPL v SFL3)
2007 East Fife 7 Stenhousemuir 0 (half-time 0-0)
2008 Third Division champs - earliest title winners
2008 9 man East Fife 3 12 man Arbroath 2 (last minute winner)
2011 East Fife 2 SPL Dunfy 1
2011 Aberdeen 3 East Fife 3 (EFFC win on pens) loads of "die-hards" didn't go because "we would get beat"

See you the morra. Wouldn't be anywhere else.

Touche