Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
The Need For Transparency

Just reading the minutes from the Trust's AGM and some alarming information in there surrounding the running of the club by the past and current board.

This part is particularly concerning -

"As the new management settled in, there were more and more decisions being made either without board approval or contrary to what the board had approved."

It may not mention names but hard not to take from that that Lee Murray was calling the shots and ignoring decisions made by the BOD.

Now, I'm no fan of the BODs in the past few years but one thing I will say about them is that they have been good at not overspending to put the club into serious financial shit (although often to the detriment of a winning team on the pitch).

As things currently stand, the club now HAVE overspent and are in serious shit. The Trust say there is no point in looking for scapegoats. I don't completely agree. People need to be held accountable.

Lee Murray and his cohorts have a lot to answer for and the current board need to answer why they allowed this to happen, including the Trust representative, who (again according to the minutes) "acknowledged that, along with the current directors, he had failed to put adequate pressure on the Chairman to make all decisions affecting the club more transparent."

If the current board couldn't stop this from happening, why do they even deserve our support just now and what indication have they given that they can now right the ship?

They need to spell out to the fans exactly how the club got into this mess, why they sat back and allowed it to happen, spell out the exact financial plight and explain just how they see this being corrected.

Without this, they can't expect the support of the fans and I seriously fear for the future of our historic club.

Re: The Need For Transparency

Cracking post!

Couldn't agree more. It's clear Mr Murray made a complete cunt of things but he was allowed to do so. Great post.

I don't know if theres any truth in this,but when Murray left,the currunt board found invoices/bills,which they thought had been paid,in a drawer in his office.Arbroath seemingly,got there 2k,for Cook,off the micky mouse cup tie money,when we played ,the Rangers.
Murray was seen,outside his office,across from Bayview,on Saturday.Was he in the away end again or was he seeing how many supporters turned up for the game.

Couldn't agree more, John.

Great post John.

Whilst there appears no doubt that Mr Murray made quite a few mistakes I would caution against laying all the blame at his door.

When the Gang of 4 first revealed their bid the reason for the losses was out down to a few postponed matches- no other explanation and no mention of Murray.

I seam to remember that when Murray resigned the Interim Chairman stated that he hoped Murray would return at some point- or did I imagine that?

The lack of explanation as to where the money from the original game at Ibrox has gone still makes me extremely suspicious that all is not as it appears.

All of a sudden we are hearing `rumours` about what Murray was up to- huge contracts/invoices in drawers etc- why wasn't this mentioned before now.

It appears to me that the Gang of 4 realise that fans are not going to swallow the `postponed games` excuse and are now trying to lay ALL the blame at Murrays door

Even if Murray was behind every mistake and financial mismanagement decision who was asking the questions?- who was signing the cheques? , who was scrutinising the bank statements and the cash flow forecasts? If the Gang of 4 had sight of this information and did nothing they are culpable , if they let Murray `get on with it` they are culpable! Their first duty is to legally protect shareholders ( all shareholders!) interests.

Not defending Murray here, just think that it suits the Gang of 4 to lay all the blame with him. In any other business the board would be sacked for either being a part of this plan or for allowing it to happen through their lack of governance and scrutiny. So why doesn't the majority shareholder look to remove them as they obviously have damaged shareholder value and business viability?