Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Latest Score

Arbroath 1 East Fife 0 HT

Re: Latest Score

1-1 F/T Page with the goal, his second east fife goal.

good point against leauge two champions elect who beat us 5-1 at home earlier but good point to get on the travel specially when we haven't played a competitive game and it was positive result today though clyde, montrose and elgin winning means the games in hand could be vital but one game at a time. Happy with points taken from today and QP lets build.
like to say well done to the players and good luck to those that travelled to Angus on a safe journey home everyone

arbroath will be so pissed off not getting three points against us

What a very good result all things considered. Still unbeaten in 2015.

How did they do today, was it a lucky draw, well deserved or what. Anyway very good result. Could have lost a lot more ground on teams around us but didn't,

How did the team line up today?

Great result today. Looking forward to reading people's views who were at the game. Well done to the team in getting what could be a very valuable point. Mon the Fife.

2 points in 2 games still unbeaten in 2015. I say the games in hand could be crucial for us with it being so tight nick at the bottom here but great point happy with it and thats two points from teams above us and pushing above their weight at the right end well happy for the players to get a draw today against the leaders of league two. Good stuff well done to players and fans who went

Believed team was. Miller, Julen, Page, Naysmith (S.Smith), Campbell, Walker, McAleer (Dickson), R. Brown, Cook (Fash), L.Smith, K.Smith Subs: Fleming & Barr.

but all in all happy with point (2/2) good stuff!

A draw was a fair result in difficult conditions. We defended well throughout but went behind after a mix up at the back.
After the break the game ebbed and flowed but we pressed hard towards the end and Page's effort counted after Fash's header was cleared off the line. It was one way traffic at the end but we couldn't quite do enough to bring the three points back home to Methil.
What was astonishing was the poor size of the league leaders' crowd, just over 600 with a third of them wearing black and gold. Only one support sang throughout the game. Great credit to the young lads behind the goal, we should all be proud of them.

We were there cheering on the Fife
A draw was a fair result in difficult conditions. We defended well throughout but went behind after a mix up at the back.
After the break the game ebbed and flowed but we pressed hard towards the end and Page's effort counted after Fash's header was cleared off the line. It was one way traffic at the end but we couldn't quite do enough to bring the three points back home to Methil.
What was astonishing was the poor size of the league leaders' crowd, just over 600 with a third of them wearing black and gold. Only one support sang throughout the game. Great credit to the young lads behind the goal, we should all be proud of them.

#MF14 500 East Fife fans, 20/30 ultras We Are The MF

astonishing goal to lose even though the pitch was poor.Credit to Paige, Naysmith and especially Fleming who tried to lift the keeper after his howler.Fash coming on changed the game,no shortage of effort from the team.The sad thing is that the top of the league were no better than us.

Good point but could have been oh so better if we had played 2 up front from the start.Game changed as soon as Fash came on to partner Smith up front,we had them on the ropes for the last ten mins.....opportunity lost as they were no great shakes

Good point but could have been oh so better if we had played 2 up front from the start.Game changed as soon as Fash came on to partner Smith

certainly need another striker at this club. the club has two strikers minus falconer where ever he is that needs game time and i hope we go for a change of tactics in the next game now that we took two points from the teams at the top end which is good.

I was sitting near the East Fife goals when the first goal went in. It must have lifted about a foot over the keepers boot when he went to kick it. The bobble was shocking. I don't think he needed lifting he is a professional keeper and would have put that to the back of his head as he showed in the second half. I thought they looked solid at the back and were really only troubled for 10 mins in the second half. All that the team needs is a finisher.

Team played well today & could have had 3 or 4 goals, apart from first goal the young keeper done well. Really need another striker to play alongside kevin smith. Sean Dickson looked impressive when he came on, feel confident for next game now even tho its a tuesday night at Cliftonhill :-(

We are where we are in the piss poor league because of the managers negative approach to the game. The fact we haven't got another striker proves that. Maybe, just maybe if we had been more positive against Arbroath and against other teams then we might be higher up the league instead of trying to avoid bottom spot. I'm convinced that we actually have a decent bunch of players who are capable of being in the top 4 but we unfortunately have a management team who are holding them back.

Agree with 303, although the pitch was so bad that it ruined the game and definitely contributed to their goal. The ball bobbled in front of Jordan just as he was about to control the pass back and trickled towards goal and the quick Murray prodded home. Hope this doesn't affect Jordan because he is a very competent keeper and it would have been a sin to lose the game on that incident. Allan Walker again picked up a needless booking early on knocking the ball out of the keepers hands from behind and could have put pressure on the team if he had picked up another booking, when will he ever learn! Julen had another good game at centre back but Stevie still not too comfortable in midfield, still trying to get rid of the ball too quickly instead of holding the ball and playing a more telling pass. Sean Dickson came on for the last 20 mins or so and proved to me that he is a good signing, showing composure on the ball and covering a lot of the park looking for the ball. Arbroath played 4-4-2 with Murray and McManus causing our defence a few problems whereas we played 4-3-3 and left Kevin struggling against 2 - 6 foot plus defenders. When Cook and Mcaleer came off and Fash and Dickson came on, it changed the game and we ended the game in the ascendency. Overall a draw was a fair result as Arbroath have strengthened their defence, no Stoney or Mcbride and in Murray they have the most dangerous forward in the division.

Did anybody see dickinsons flick over I think it was Bobby linn? Was spectacular!

A draw was probably a fair result. We look to have improved our defensive frailties with Julen showing that he is a class act. From where I was watching we played 4-1-4-1 with Stevie Campbell sitting in front of the back 4 and Kevin Smith being isolated much of the time up front. The introduction of Dickson and Fash helped to change the game.
One thing that I find really frustrating is that at times we have an opportunity to deliver the ball into the box but choose to pass back. Today we had the ball wide right 30 yards from goal with the wind in our favour. Instead of putting the ball into the box we made two passes with the ball ending up being punted up the park by our GK ! We only had 16 players today and Mullen was the only player missing. We will no doubt lose players to injury and suspension over the coming weeks so surely a couple of players have to be brought in. We know players have been moved on to save money but if we really want to avoid a relegation fight we have to bring in a couple of players to make us more of a threat in the final third.

It wasn't 4-3-3 it was 4-1-4-1. No way would Naysmith be that positive. Pleasing to see the flick over Linn. Couldn't have happened to a better shop assistant.

Deserved the point.

Millar redeemed himself second half with some good stops. Striker desperately needed to play with Kevin Smith, had nothing to work with all afternoon but ran himself into the ground none the less.

Fash looked bright when he came on, as did Dickson (the flick was outstanding)

The crowd was 690 and it was one of the poorest East Fife supports I've seen at Gayfield. The point was well deserved. Arbroath's goal was the result of a dreadful error by the keeper but he redeemed himself with 2 excellent saves early on in the second half. The equaliser was disputed by Arbroath, who claimed the ball hadn't crossed the line. East Fife missed a great chance to equalise about a minute before but couldn't get the ball over the line. How it stayed out was s mystery to the people in the stand. The second half performance was improved greatly when Fash came on. I also thought that Jelon looked a more than decent player.

Yesterday's goal will be credited to Allan Walker. How press got Pagey beats me as he wasn't even in the goalmouth!

Totally agree with Bayview boy regarding the venue and the prevailing wind. I remember playing against the smokies in the early 70's, and the wind was whipping in from the North Sea. It was at our back and I ventured forward (as I did) and sent a cross in form the left hand side, about 30 yards out, and it sailed over the goalie into the back of the net. The next week the East Fife mail described it as a "shot come cross"!! Gimme a break!!! We won the 3 points by the way, but a point on the road yesterday was a positive result. Keep the faith and Mon The Fife.

An East Fife Leg End
Totally agree with Bayview boy regarding the venue and the prevailing wind. I remember playing against the smokies in the early 70's, and the wind was whipping in from the North Sea. It was at our back and I ventured forward (as I did) and sent a cross in form the left hand side, about 30 yards out, and it sailed over the goalie into the back of the net. The next week the East Fife mail described it as a "shot come cross"!! Gimme a break!!! We won the 3 points by the way, but a point on the road yesterday was a positive result. Keep the faith and Mon The Fife.

Must have been some goal if we got three points that day!

70s sam
An East Fife Leg End

Must have been some goal if we got three points that day!

It was a 1-1 draw in a four-pointer. Worth two points.
John Brown nearly fainted during the minute's silence before kick-off on account of the cold while Joe Hughes took off like a horse on steroids when the ref blew his whistle to signal the start of the silence.

1 of the whispers yesterday was that the club will be signing a forward this week, possibly the young Dundee United forward Ola Adeyemo

sammy
1 of the whispers yesterday was that the club will be signing a forward this week, possibly the young Dundee United forward Ola Adeyemo

finally some hope about time its took this weekend to realise we urgently need one upfront, hope the whispers are right and we bring one in before tomorrow shut down

Guys the old memory isnot quite what it used to be. However, pre decimalisation it was 2 points right enough, and maybe it was a 1-1 draw. I just remember my goal!!!
Just to put the record straight the Joe Hughes incident happened at stranraer but it was freezing and blowing a gale there as well so you can be forgiven for the confusion. Keep tacking the tablets though.mn

Adeyemo signed on loan from Dundee Utd.

http://vimeo.com/118516987

Highlights v Arbroath

Just watched Arbroath highlights and it makes you realise just how good EFTV is. Good effort Arbroath, but EFTV is miles ahead in every department.

I agree looks like students came to flim the game with their phone EFTV is much better since Stephen came on the scene he makes it 10 times better viewing pity we could do a players challenge in midweek just watched the albion rovers tv but I rather have Stephen than a women sportsound presenter and knows the club like a book tbh I hope the EFTV crew are back next week I miss the watch it's been along time

East Fife mail today also saying that Page was scorer. So was it him or Walker where I read somewhere else on here?

The goal has been attributed to Allan Walker on the Official Twitter account.

braveman
Just watched Arbroath highlights and it makes you realise just how good EFTV is. Good effort Arbroath, but EFTV is miles ahead in every department.

Also makes you realise how good our pitch is too. That pitch of Arbroath's is a disgrace frankly, not fit for a pub league never mind senior football.