Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Re Saturdays Game

Wishing the team well on Saturday, keep up the good away results.

Today it is a balmy 78* in sunny California.

Re: Re Saturdays Game

Yes Come on the Fife.

From a not so balmy Kent (pishing rain and about 1 degree).

I reckon 3-0 on Saturday.

The MF will be there loud and proud. :-)

I really hope we can put in a good team performance on Saturday and send the home support away with a smile for a change. Clyde have had a good results recently and like us will be looking to continue their good form. I would take any sort of win but wouldn't be to disappointed with a point. MON THE FIFE. :-)

Reckon we will get 9 out of 9 for the next three home games.... That will put us right back into contention... The smokies and the albion are in free fall... Might even see some of the old faces coming back as opposed to spending Saturday's shopping with their other halves or doing the ironing. Last two games have been a breath of fresh air... We are coming good and think we will get even better. You heard it here first. Mon the Fife!

Really looking forward to the game tomorrow.

Haven't seen big Jules or Sean yet.

hope we can build from our two away games which was a brilliant week last week for the club and improve our home form, both teams on a bit of form will be happy with a draw we haven't beaten clyde only a 9-7 penalty shootout win last year's may play-offs is the only time we have beaten clyde hopefully now a change of players we can change that record.
Sean looks like a player we needed in midfield, mullen was great on saturday from i herd and scored and hopefully Ola will be impressive when the weeks go on hasn't had many games for united first team. Page and Julen coming in has been solid and reason why campbell who is a excellent defender and player had to be moved to midfield, Gary seems now he has the balance hopefully we can go on a run. I also hope McAleer comes back from injury be like a new signing and options from the bench and fash looks a threat coming off the bench every time.
all in all lets go East Fife!!! Come on you Fife!!

East Fife manager Gary Naysmith says he has plenty of sympathy for his former Montrose counterpart George Shields after the Methil club’s win at Links Park spelled the end of his tenure.

Shields tendered his resignation as Gable Endies boss the morning after Saturday’s 3-0 loss to the Fifers and, while Naysmith is obviously more concerned about what his side do, the Bayview boss reckons the episode is proof of just how fine the margins are in Scottish football these days.

“I didn’t really know George but I got to know George, especially in dealing witj him when Ross Campbell and Ewan Moyes went up there, and he’s a nice guy, so of course I’ve got some sympathy for him,” Naysmith admitted.

“It just shows you how close things are in this league.

“I didn’t really realise because I was playing in the game but when I watched the highlights back Montrose had some really good chances to be in front.

“We maybe had more possession but they probably found themselves unlucky to be 1-0 down at half-time.

“We played really well in the second half and I don’t think they really had another chance, but on another day they could have been in front at half-time.

“If they had got a positive result then George would probably still be in a job, so it’s obviously very fine margins.

“I’m just delighted we managed to keep our good run going and I think we fully deserved our three points in the end.”

The Fifers are now at home to Clyde tomorrow and are looking to extend their unbeaten run in 2015 to five games.

Indeed, a third successive win could take them up to fifth spot, depending on Berwick’s result, and that’s what Naysmith is aiming for.

Midfielder Allan Walker will return from suspension, but there are doubts over Kevin Smith, who picked up a knock on Saturday, and Sean Dickson, who dislocated his shoulder at Links Park.

Dickson managed to have his shoulder put back into place and played on, although he has been suffering from pain since then.

One player definitely out will be Caolan McAleer, who continues to nurse a troublesome knee problem.

“He got a bang on his knee against Arbroath and we’re trying to get to the bottom of it,” Naysmith added.

“He seems to be OK straight line running but as soon as he turns he feels it.”

Hopefully another 3 points tomoro for the team, Sean Dickson, Ross Brown & Fraser Mullen were all excellent last week in midfield, Sean has made a big difference to the team, Ross is getting back to his best after his ankle injury last year & Fraser Mullen seems to be coming into good form now too. About time we beat Clyde, hope Kev Smith ok for tomoro too!!

Kev Smith apparently injured tomoro so Fash up front it is, should have Walker back too from suspension!!

Could this be in doubt?? Thick frost.

Just thinking that myself. Hopefully not though

Game ON
Wishing all the best to the team,manager and staff for the game today
Monthefife

How long for tho lol..Told the same thing few weeks ago only to be then told at 2:15 game was postponed due to frozen pitch!

hope we can get our first win over clyde in front of our own supporters, hope the lad ola can get himself a goal sooner rather than later to boost his confidence his chances will come surely. Brown, Mullen, Dickson and K.Smith have been impressive, Come on Fife get intae the bully wee!!
Surely hope next season dickson can stay in the summer has been a good buy always liked the lad when he played against us last season for stenny!

0-0 happy to take a point even though love to beat Clyde lets take our chances come on Fife!

East Fife
01 Fleming
20 Smith Booked
22 Etxabeguren Leanizbarrutia
24 Page
15 Naysmith
04 Campbell
08 Brown
02 Mullen
06 Walker
23 Dickson
14 Austin
Substitutes
03 Smith
09 Adeyemo
11 Cook
16 Barr
21 Connon

Goal Clyde sub McQueen heads in, awk

Finished 1-1 well worth a point today, draw writing on the cards at the start of the game and still unbeaten in 2015 that's now three draws and two wins. Well done to the players ad staff of East Fife FC

Salvaged a point today. Would have been a travesty if we had lost but what have Clyde got over us? They have taken 8 points out of nine from us and they are a poor team. Look at that big awkward looking sub who is a central defender normally, comes on up front and scores a goal. Another John Gemmell if you ask me.

East Fife were by far the better side the first half. Thought Liam Smith was the best player on the park today. Some fantastic crosses and his wide balls were excellent. Fantastic strike by Frazer to give us the point. Worst goalkeeping I have seen. Flemming had no chance of getting to the ball and cost us 3 points. Lots of positives as we looked solid at the back once again apart from the error.

Yes east fire were the better team and the goalkeeper made a mistake.But surely like too many other games this season we should be scoring more than 1 goal.Loads of possession but nothing to show for it.How many shots did we make that were actually on target.We play with one centre forward yet we have another one on the bench.Is attack not the best form of defence.Gave Clyde to much respect and they are not that good.

Totally agree. Two even sides but overall not a great standard of footie. Disappointed to see only young Fash up front agains 3 sometimes 4 defenders. He put in an honest hardworking shift but knocked off the ball a bit too easily at times Needs someone with a bit of the Joe Hughes approach and allow Fash to pick up the scraps and put the ball in the back of the net. We had sometimes 3 or 4 across the back so must have had 5 in midfield at any given time. Being at home after 2 good wins away should be a bit more confident and more positive in our approach. After all it's Clyde we were playing! Full time loanee on the bench so could have started 4 4 2 and get the visitors on the back foot from the off. Don't think we got to the byeline once (again) so that needs to be addressed ASAP if we are going to create a few chances for our strikers and midfielders. I also heard one of the coaches shout to Fash to get back to help out the defence!! How crazy is that? All Clyde had to do was then throw another couple of their players forward and we are in even bigger trouble.
Missed the equaliser. Had to get big Harry back to his care home for 16.45!

Delighted to get a point in the end but like others I feel if we had been more positive we could have won the game. Too often this season, especially at home we have shown teams too much respect by playing a cautious defensive formation. Yes we had the bulk of possession yesterday especially in the first half half but like so many games this season we don't actually get in behind teams and create many clear cut chances..
Gary seems to have the idea that if we don't lose a goal we won't lose the game. However, the players we have are playing at this level because the will make individual errors and make poor decisions, like Fleming did yesterday by coming for a cross he had no chance of reaching. I would love to see him be more adventurous, especially at home where we should be taking the game to our opponents and let them worry about our strengths. Yes we took the game to Clyde in the first half and played some decent football but it's goals that win matches and so often Fash was left isolated with midfielders not getting there quickly enough to give him support. Alan Walker was playing behind Fash but I don't feel he is quick or mobile enough to perform that role.
Gary's interview after the game says that Smith and McAleer are likely to be out for a few weeks. Fash had a hamstring problem so we only have the loanee from Dundee United as a recognised striker. Whose fault is that ? Every team should have at least four strikers to cover loss of form, injury or suspension so at least two are available. To me the squad he has put together shows his priorities when you consider of the 13 outfield players listed yesterday, no fewer than 8 have played in defence at some point this season. I realise that the Club wanted McShane off the payroll due to him being a high earner, but they also got rid of Ross Campbell before bringing Ola Adeyemo in on loan from United. Where would we be if he was to be recalled by United ?
If he is going to persist in playing one up front I would prefer to see Sean Dickson supporting the striker as he is more mobile.
A huge week ahead with home games against East Stirling and Annan. Let's get on the front foot, put them under pressure and get the goals to win the games. More attacking football , scoring goals and winning games will hopefully encourage a few more through the turnstiles.

It's actually 9 of the 13 who have played in defence at some point this season !

I don't understand where this notion that we were too cautious yesterday is coming from.
We had Clyde camped in their own half for the first 30 minutes, forcing numerous corners. Fash was well supported by the midfield and also Liam Smith's overlapping runs on the right. There was nothing negative about the way we started the game yesterday.

Watch the highlights, the keeper had 1 save in the first half when he came out to block Fasg's effort when he burst through the middle. When Fash went down the right, cut inside, took a heavy touch before curling it round the far post, he had no support to pass to. Another striker may have given that option. We had lots of profession but not the penetration to hurt teams.

Fifer
I don't understand where this notion that we were too cautious yesterday is coming from.
We had Clyde camped in their own half for the first 30 minutes, forcing numerous corners. Fash was well supported by the midfield and also Liam Smith's overlapping runs on the right. There was nothing negative about the way we started the game yesterday.

C'mon! Stop continually trying to defend Naysmiths tactics. We shouldn't be playing me up front at home and the stats are there to prove that it isn't working. Virtually every home game this season, the away keeper isn't worked hard enough and that is down to the managements tactics. Bayviewboy and the much respected Leg End have got it spot on and are not assessing a game through black and gold tinted specs.

Frustrated Fife Fan
Fifer

C'mon! Stop continually trying to defend Naysmiths tactics. We shouldn't be playing me up front at home and the stats are there to prove that it isn't working. Virtually every home game this season, the away keeper isn't worked hard enough and that is down to the managements tactics. Bayviewboy and the much respected Leg End have got it spot on and are not assessing a game through black and gold tinted specs.

Me should be one! Lol.... I can only dream that it was me though!