Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
East Stirlingshire v East Fife

We have been advised by East Stirlingshire FC that our supporters will be accommodated in the main stand and not, as in previous matches, the terracing.

Admission will be £12 adults & £5 concessions. Children of primary school age are admitted for £1 provided they are accompanied by an adult.

Re: East Stirlingshire v East Fife

East Fife team:

Fleming
S.Smith
Page
Campbell
Walker
Cook
Brown
Naysmith
Dickson
Ola
Riordan

Subs:
McAleer
Barr
Falconer - Recalled
Miller

Shires: Barnard, Townsley, Brisbane, McKenna, Greenhill, Bates, Gilmour, Wright, McCabe, Nisbet & Kinnard
Shire subs: Donelly, Vidler, J.Tully, Nicholson, McGregor, Wallace & C.Tully

Referee: Steven Kirkland

1-0 Es Chris Townsley header from a corner.

HT 1-0
East stirling had best first half, Allan Walker unlucky not to equalise before half time. Come on you Fife!!

2 0 now..why am i not surprised !!!

Normal service resumed, back to being shite.

Highlights the importance of having Julen in the starting line up. He's hasn't played in the last two games and we've lost them both. I know he's injured but Naysmith needs a plan B. Must win against Arbroath next week if we want to grab 4th place.

Lost 2-0. Never got going after 50mins when Cook and Riordan were put upfront and missing Julen, Fash and Kev Smith didn't help our cause today hopefully they are back next saturday as Arbroath beat Clyde 3-1 and back to winning ways and we have lost twice this month since Naysmith won his award. Like to see Riordan upfront and Ola has lost his way a bit maybe needs service from another striker with him not seen enough from the man who is on-loan from united. Hope Campbell is ok did have treatment today and came off last week like to have seen Campbell and Page at CB with Naysmith LB and get Liam back at RB with Brown back to midfield again

Surprised to see Rankine's Livi draw with Rangers at Ibrox on McCall's debut in the dugout. At the moment we are 1 point above Annan with a game in hand and need get back to winning ways last two games been disapointed. Roll on next week.

A game to forget today, terrible in first half, defence under pressure too much, Ross Brown did well at RB again but he's much better in midfield for us, the rest of midfield didnt turn up today & Ola up front not good enough & Riordan poor today!! Roll on next week & back to winning ways hopefully!!

Injuries to some key players and the suspension of Fash left the squad fairly threadbare today, but the players who came into the starting line up should have been out to prove a point that they deserve to start every week. Unfortunately none of them seized the opportunity until Lewis Barr came on and provided the drive and desire which so many lacked.
For the second game in a row we started very sluggish and allowed our opponents to dictate play. We looked disorganized and ultra defensive with only Ola Adeyemo up front and little support helping him. East Stirlingshire players seemed to move freely about the pitch with little or no serious challenges being put in to win the ball. The Shires goal was headed in at the back post with page struggling to cope with the threat of Townsley. I may be wrong but it looked like we had no-one on the post when the corner came in. I don't like to slate individuals normally but I as so disappointed in Adeyemo. For a player who has recently signed a new contract with the SPL side, I have seen nothing to convince me that he is capable of playing at that level. His movement is terrible.a few times today when full backs had the ball and their only real option of getting the ball forward was down the flanks but he made no attempt to make these runs to offer that option. Does he really want to be with us ? Has he got the ability but can't be bothered ? I watched him coming out at half time and his body language suggested that he didn't want to be there.
In the second half when Lewis Barr came on and we went to a 3-4-1-2 formation we had East Stirling pinned back in their own half without really creating many clear cut chances.
Why do we give these teams so much respect ? Why do we set up so defensively ? We set out to prevent the opposition from scoring yet we've had so few clean sheets this season. We are at our best going forward, so why not play to this strength and let opponents worry about what we can do rather than the other way round. The players we have are playing at this level because they do make mistakes so let's play the game in the opposing half to minimize the effect of any mistakes. Fourth place is there for the taking but we need to get back on the rails starting with the Arbroath game then another two home games the following week. Hopefully the injured players will be back soon as we need options to be able to change things if we are struggling.

Why do we play with one upfront from kick-off? As Bayview boy said we need to attack teams rather go all defensive as we have few clean sheets this season our strength is attacking.
I don't understand why riordan has been playing on wide left when he's better upfront and second half says that and it would of gave young Ola support he needed it today when we were without fash.
Also we never trained thursday before going to hampden I dunno it's a lack of training or just simply never turned up as tactics were buffling even without the injuries and suspensions we had.
Another point I take young Daryl falconer's loan been cut short due to shortage of players as he was on the bench take it he'll be away next weekend like usual or is he ready to be brought into the fold?

Yet again Naysmiths negative, try not to lose tactics come to nothing. We were a disgrace today. Riordan, 3rd tip scorer in SPL history and he is playing midfield? Why wasn't Campbell playing CB from the start and Barr playing in midfield? Oh, maybe because that would lose a defensive midfielder. Another joke of a performance in a poor substandard league. Fans are both. With there feet and not prepared to pay to watch negative garbage. Very decent support today and yet again let down by the manager and his assistants tactics.

If we have Liam smith back at right back next week I reckon we should start Ross brown and Lewis Barr in centre midfield. Ross is by far the best cm and attacking minded with Lewis keen to get stuck in. Lewis must be wondering what he has to do to get a start he has been the best player the last two games only playing about 15 mins in both of them it.

Liam Smith supposed to be out for 7-10 days then away with under 19's if fit, hopefully Jules back for Arbroath game then Ross Brown back to midfield where he's best. Yes time Lewis Barr was given a start as too many others in midfield didnt turn up last week in first half, lost anither goal & game over, we' re lucky to still be in 4th place but glad!! C'mon lads a Win against Arbroath will give us all a lift again!!

Brilliant for Liam Smith to be selected for Scotland u19s for the elite qualifiers of the Euros where they will płay Austria, Croatia and Italy. Hopefully Fraser Mullen will be fit and can play at right back releasing Brown into midfield, agree with comments re Barr, give him a start and see how it goes, need more from Dickson and Riordan, not just about goals need work harder without the ball ! Fash should be desperate to do well after queens game, his form up intil then was very good.

Is Fash just banned for one game???

Dj Danny
Brilliant for Liam Smith to be selected for Scotland u19s for the elite qualifiers of the Euros where they will płay Austria, Croatia and Italy. Hopefully Fraser Mullen will be fit and can play at right back releasing Brown into midfield, agree with comments re Barr, give him a start and see how it goes, need more from Dickson and Riordan, not just about goals need work harder without the ball ! Fash should be desperate to do well after queens game, his form up intil then was very good.

I agree DJ mullen would fit better at right back putting Brown in his natural position in midfield and if Julen's not fit like to see Page and Campbell at CB with Gary at left back hopefully Fash isn't out for these two games against the North east's clubs visting Bayview his goals and work rate has been on fire up until he got two yellow cards in a poor game at Hampden.

Hopefully Mullen will be back & put at RB but I think Naysmith will put him in midfield leaving Brown at RB. Hopefully I'm wrong and Brown will be back to midfield, just a feeling looking at past games. I do think Brown is a much better midfielder than Mullen with his passing etc.

We should beware cos was it not Arbroath at home last time when we were short and Brown and Barr were out of position in defence???????

That Kevin Nesbit quite a good player scored the winner up at Elgin for shire tonight and against us on saturday if only we had someone like him on offer at east fife i would be delighted. Now puts the shire on level on points with us it seems like we are distance ourself from the top three teams and have a hard run-in if you look at who we have to face with teams around us from 4th to 9th.

Kevin Nisbet is on loan from Partick Thistle. Maybe next season...

What if both us and EastStirling caught up with Arbroath. How good would that be?

We need to win games and beat arbroath if we are to catch them but i don't think we will with our form and no one wants fourth place. Certainly need to beat Annan, Twice against Berwick and Elgin to remain where we are in the play-offs.
Remember they beat us heavy here in december so dont get your hopes up of catching arbroath.

Dusty Crack
We need to win games and beat arbroath if we are to catch them but i don't think we will with our form and no one wants fourth place. Certainly need to beat Annan, Twice against Berwick and Elgin to remain where we are in the play-offs.
Remember they beat us heavy here in december so dont get your hopes up of catching arbroath.

Whit?

Our form is as good as any team in the league in 2015
Every Fife fan I know would be delighted with fourth place
We don't need to face Elgin City twice as we've already played them three times