Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
gary the manager

Last match I saw was a dire display at Annan where the manager was so unlucky to be sent off. After all the understandable stick he has had, should there be huge praise for the manager and his team now. Typical of East Fife, my next match..could it be a pkay off final?

Re: gary the manager

The boys dug in deep yesterday in a difficult game to get the 3 points, well done ta all, feel confident we can win next 2 games aswell :-)

Bruce Mitchell
Last match I saw was a dire display at Annan where the manager was so unlucky to be sent off. After all the understandable stick he has had, should there be huge praise for the manager and his team now. Typical of East Fife, my next match..could it be a pkay off final?

No. Jury is still out.
Naysmith has proved fuck all and did get us relegated in the end.
If he takes us up then yes he just might deserve some credit.

many managers at other clubs when they got relegated and brought the club back by taking over for pervious managers and got success, I know at the start of the season things weren't going our way in terms of results but after christmas and getting hammered then by Arbroath at home, losing at annan and getting sent off for conceding a penalty maybe was a bad role model effect on the team as a leader/manager to look upon but we have bounced back, we look a different team and that has shown in the year 2015 he has change that also winning games and took the team up to 4th in the division. Therefore people are starting to see why he is still the manager of East Fife and getting the play-offs is where we can finish and is our target, where we look like clinching that with results like yesterday but getting promoted is what we all want so if its this season via play-offs or next season we need to keep supporting the side week in, week out and nothing is easy in football.
Also the club saw lee murray leave the boardroom with Jim and the board to pick up the piece and look like they are steadying the ship at the moment with on-going battle to buy the club from the owners and neil rankine saga story yet to be concluded.
If we don't achieve promotion this season. I am sure the club will be in a better position next season under the current management and board to go one better, no point in changing and we can all see this is a working progress at the club to get things right.

Harry hamshank
Bruce Mitchell

No. Jury is still out.
Naysmith has proved fuck all and did get us relegated in the end.
If he takes us up then yes he just might deserve some credit.

And tonight's result just proves how fucking hopeless Naysmith is!
He's as spineless as his team.

A fucking joke this club has become.

Naysmith and his assistant have proven that they are not up to this and should go now! The lack of management today was shocking as was yet another performance from HIS team. Gary, for the good of our club, step aside and let someone else try and get us playing something that resembles football.

After watching that last night it has to be said that the management team are struggling. Tactics are pish and we are brutal to watch.can't believe how easy that was for Berwick last night, a truly horrific display.

Gary the manager.

Is this the same guy who has East Fife sitting 4th in the league in a play off spot, Tuesday night was poor, I agree with that, but right now the squad is ravaged with injuries and things aren't going East Fifes way just now, a dodgy offside call at Hampden, two clear penalties in the last 2 games, one was given and the goalie should have seen red but didn't even get booked, the same on Tuesday night, Fash has the legs taken away from him and it should have been a penalty and possibly a red card, these are not the managers fault.

To the football, injuries are part of the game and with Naysmith out on Tuesday night was a massive loss for the team, he sorts the defence out and can talk to the lads in front of him and tell them what to do and where they are going wrong when he is on the pitch, first mistake made was the goalie not stopping that shot, he should have done a lot better and been able to palm that away, that would have got the team in at HT with the score 0-0, gives the manager time to have a go at his defence and midfield and tell them to step it up and get there act together, but the 2nd half performance was just as bad, poor passing, throw in's were a joke and why can't the midfield play a early forward pass rather than this back the way or sideway's nonsense, just get the ball forward.

Still in East Fifes hands to finish in the play off's and that starts with a win on Saturday, fans need to get behind the team and the manager and give them the backing they need, you go to support your team from the stand so support them rather than abusing them, you would think EF were in a relegation battle the way some folk were carrying on on Tuesday night.

SEE YOU ALL ON SATURDAY.

Well said Trainer, agree with every word, get behind the team with encouragement, not abuse!!

Great start to 2015 but that's 3 defeats in 4 now. We had better kick Montrose's butt hard tomorrow or those doubts about Naysmith's managerial capabilities will resurface big style.

Good result today helped by Gary the manager playing, and organising the defence and the guys in front of him, time to cut the man some slack and give him and the players support for the run in, Montrose put to the sword, next please.

Good result today but could not believe management when any keeper injured. You surely get reserve keeper warming up at any injury never mind when trainer on for some time.

eric w
Good result today but could not believe management when any keeper injured. You surely get reserve keeper warming up at any injury never mind when trainer on for some time.

The keeper was fine, a bit of time wasting when your winning does no harm, the coaching staff new what was going on, the assistant shouted a few times to see what was happening and he got the thumbs up, that incident maybe lasted 4-5 minutes, how much injury time was there played.

Eric w

I agree with Trainer. Think you are being a bit picky. Don,t think I have ever seen a goalie warming up on the sidelines before coming on.

5 hard games left Clyde Albion rovers Annan Berwick Elgin if we can win 3 out of 5 will be great

I have said before the manager will have a bigger impact on the park than off it, and yesterday proved the point. A great result in very difficult conditions. Very easy to sit in the shelter of the stand and pass judgement on the players on both sides. We dealt with it better than them. Again I'll say Fash is a goal taker not a goal maker as yesterday proved. I don't understand why the management team continue to ask him to track back, defend corners etc. it's inviting the opposition to send as many players as they want into our half/box. Leave him up in the centre circle, they will leave 2 players back to mark him, and that would leave us with 9 against 8 in our half. Not rocket science really. Fash could then save his energy for going at their defence, and sticking the ball in the back of the net!

As for the manager he's certainly proved his worth on the pitch, I'm a big fan. As for his managerial ability ultimately this will be determined by results. It's early days but I don't think changing your manager every other season is the answer. Give him another season whatever league we are in but I think I would be reviewing his "full-time" status.