Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Latest Score

Clyde 0 East Fife 0 at HT.

Re: Latest Score

We lost 1-0

With the scores every week, every team below us are trying their damnest to get us into the play offs. Why aren't we trying as hard ??????????

They were there for the taken,how we never took anything from that game beggars belief,they're a poor lot but fair play to them they took there chance.

We didnt do enough to win the game today & to miss the penalty at this stage of the season is not good enough. Midfield was poor again apart from Ross Brown, he was the only one who looked like creating anything today. Thought Ref was poor again too but good to still be in 4th spot with other results going our way again, cant happen forever tho, need to start picking up points again!!

Deserved to take something from that game today, created enough chances but weren't taken, had the penalty went in i think the 3 points would have been secured today.

But Clyde take the one decent chance they get and get the win, positives to take from today I'm sure and the manager might agree, big game next week, at home and being doing well there so need to not lose the game, 3 points would be superb.

What the fuck are we being forced to watch this season?Week in week out we are watching negative, god awful football.

In the worst standard of league football I have ever endured, we continually sit off our opponents whilst playing non progressive, bland,negative football.

We are only sitting in 4th place because eveyone else in the league are just as pish as us.

Once again we do not attack our opponents,letting them set out there own tactics and play at there own pace.

Two efforts on target,one a missed penalty,is simply not acceptable.We`ve a difficult run in to the end of the season and with performances like this I fear for us being able to retain the play off place.

Seriously PIssed Off
What the fuck are we being forced to watch this season?Week in week out we are watching negative, god awful football.

In the worst standard of league football I have ever endured, we continually sit off our opponents whilst playing non progressive, bland,negative football.

We are only sitting in 4th place because eveyone else in the league are just as pish as us.

Once again we do not attack our opponents,letting them set out there own tactics and play at there own pace.

Two efforts on target,one a missed penalty,is simply not acceptable.We`ve a difficult run in to the end of the season and with performances like this I fear for us being able to retain the play off place.
Agree. It won't matter who finishes 4th anyway as I don't fancy anyone in our league to beat Stenhousemuir or Ayr over 2 legs. Always next season.

DPH
Seriously PIssed Off

Agree. It won't matter who finishes 4th anyway as I don't fancy anyone in our league to beat Stenhousemuir or Ayr over 2 legs. Always next season.

Next season will be the same as this one until we get a competent manager in.
Naysmith is fucking hopeless.

Does anyone really want to get promoted with the current management team still here. Currently competing in the worst league, standard wise that I can remember and we still go out not to lose. Just imagine how negative Naysmith would set his team out in a higher league.
East fife are bloody lucky to be still in 4th place and that just shows how awful the test of the teams are. I actually think that on paper we have a decent side......if managed properly, which they aren't . We are nearing the end of the season and I've seen most of the games but I'm struggling to remember games where we have consistently played well for 90 minutes.

I would accept 5th place and let a new management team get us playing attractive, attacking, entertaining football.

Sorry Gary and Dougie, you guys have been givens more than enough opportunities to get this right but have failed.

For yesterdays game ,the manager had a full complement of players with Caolan McAleer -remember him ,fast direct right winger- being the player to be dropped from the squad.
There was an excellent away support ready to support the team.Unfortunately we were subjected to the same level of drivel we have been watching all season.
2 supposed holding midfield players,yesterday Walker and Mullen,were flanked by our only creatlve midfielder, Ross Brown , on the right , and the SPL's 3rd highest goal scorer,Derek Riordan, on the left
Up front we had Fash and Kevin Smith.
Defensively we were fine with Julien -EF man of the match-and Page ably supported be Campbell and Naysmith.
The standard of play yesterday from both teams was attrocious.
Like others ,I believe that we do have the players to get us into 4th place but unfortunately we have a manager who seems hellbent on stifling attacking football,seemingly more concerned with not losing.
Kevin Smith yesterday only looked a shadow of the player he was prior to his knee injury,and did not look match fit.Derek Riordan was presumably signed as a goal scorerand not a right footed left midfield player.
I like Naysmith as a player and would dearly like him to succeed as a manager.
His post match comments are always spot on.
Unfortunately he must be judged on results .
As I said earlier, I believe we do have the players to get us into the play-offs.
For what its worth ,I believe the following team would see us in the play-offs,
FLEMING
SMITH JULIEN PAIGE NAYSMITH

MCALEER BROWN CAMPBELL COOK

RIORDAN FASH

Pretty much spot on there Sammy but I would have Dickson over Cook any day. Lewis Barr would also be in with a shout of a starting place. Why he was dropped to the bench yesterday only Naysmith will know.

The biggest problem with the squad Naysmith has assembled is there is no creativity in the midfield. Gary has played Alan Walker week in week out when he should have been dropped weeks ago. We look good at the back, but both goalkeepers as poor as we have had in many years. Fash as good as any striker in the league, but no service and no midfielder gambles to support. For what its worth Mcaleer got a shot against Berwick but along with 8 or 9 others was poor on the night. I think we would be better with Walker out the team and get someone who is going to take the game to the opposition instead of square pass after square pass. On current form we can forget the play offs. The last 3 away games have been shocking Queens Park, East Stirling and yesterday, barely 3 shots on goal in 270 minutes of football. I want Gary to succeed but he has to change his style of football or the fans will walk.

How about Naysmith walks and the fans might come back?
Fucks sake the man is hopeless as a manager. He's had plenty of time and he needs to go

End of.

You are right about the team apart from Fleming. He has been poor from set pieces and his distrabution is poor. We should go with Liam smith , page, julen and naysmith. Walker should play in midfield and I think riordan is being played just for set pieces. He does nothing in the game. Watching the highlights from the game the keeper is knocked on his arse by the Clyde player and the Clyde player has a free header . It should have been a foul. But the ref was shocking yesterday few Clyde players should have been sent off.

The game was there to be taken but if we had of put the penalty away I thought the game might have changed, we did miss a few chances with headers but wouldn't fall to us. We tried to mix the corners up long and short to outside the box but clyde did their homework and it was all to easy to break it up and get out the box as a unit and if you don't take your chances and the way we were sitting in the second half we looked like they up there system and once they got a corner they managed to score from it and really both teams were poor. Official were poor, referee kept his cards in his pocket, hand ball wasn't given, even in my view our penalty was softly given and some of the play was stop as he failed to control the players at times even the offside decisions were baffling as keeping his cards in his pocket.
Only Julen, Ross Brown, Fash and Page had a decent game yestarday, amazed to see Dickson on the bench and Walker had a poor game even taking the penalty but still guaranteed a start and find it hard why Riordan is out wide when he is a striker, our goalie are average but poor, young and unexperience we have in years not a decent goalie since Ridgers if you look at clyde's Alan Martin yestarday his throw out to Taynor and keeping possession for the team and using him to run down the wing in 1st half is what we should do and mix it up, use the space rather just hoofing it up the park all the time and still think the clyde goalie is the best in this division in a poor side they are and yet it baffles me why we can't seem to beat this lot.
I want Gary to succeed, I also thought he should of kept hegarty or replace him for dugout at the start of the season but it's a learning curve for both Gary and Dougie in the job, no point changing the management now as there's only four games if we do claim fourth spot or not remember the season we replaced Billy brown for a taxi driver no players were signed well don't want a repeat of that, I hope in the summer they look at the squad where we went wrong and where we need to improve in the squad and tying those that were decent from this season squad for next season and aim higher next season that's all I advising you. I know the last three away games we haven't managed to get the result we all hoped for but there's four games left and we need get behind and hope next week we get back on track.

On the other side there wasn't Ola in yestarday's team has the lad from Maryhill replaced him? Leyden? He looks and sounds like a winger but he is a striker looks promising at thistle, he came on yestarday as a sub but it's too early to say what he is like and best fit in our team.

Millar

L.Smith Page Julen Naysmith

Brown Mullen Dickson

K Smith Fash Riordan

4-3-3 looks good on paper.

We never really looked like scoring. Riordan is a luxury,that we don't need. Playing Campbell as right back is a joke. Liam smith is a far better player and it looks like we are just trying to keep people happy indeed of putting put a winning team.

Orla is one of the top under 20 s goal scorers in the premier league has struggled . You have to remember Liam smith and Jordan Millar have just turned 18 and are still learning even if they are full time.

Anything worse than 4th place and Naysnith and Anderson should walk! This is the same manager that got us relegated. When he took over we were 16 (?) points ahead of Airdrie. He was given time to build his own team and his team are now sitting 4th place in an utterly awful standard of a league. The style of football we are playing is absolutely terrible with the try not to lose tactics week in week out. Naysmiths team us costing the club money as his negative approach to the game is driving people away.

I defy anyone to come on here and defend the current manager.

I think you are spot on with these observations Frustrated Fife Fan. It seems to me, from a distance, that any run of success just gives an excuse and opens the door for not to lose tactics. Any player i can think of who has played under Walter (eufa cup final with hardly scoring a goal)Smith is obsessed with adopting his same tactics. In this case in the basement league, with players who may be ok but are not good enough to adopt the disciplines needed. And they are pish tactics anyway. I really want to come back, but any glimmer of hope is quickly shat upon for the above reasons. What it comes down to is, who the fuck wants to pay that sort of money to watch these tactics in the bottom league. If Gary cant break free of these constraints and use his own ideas, which i think he is capable of, then there is no room for any optimism. Yet again.

The more senior players in the team are just not doing it just now, the youngsters as there still called are showing more fight for the Club, Barr unlucky to be dropped to bench &we seen McAleer sitting in his car before game looking dejected, I think if he was given a run in the team he would be good for us!! Good to have Julen & Liam Smith back who is 19 on Friday & hopefully Kev Smith will be back to his best next week as we know what he can do. Good luck to team for last 4 games, its still in our hands!!!!

Naysmith still doesn't know what his strongest team is from what I can see. Campbell played right back at weekend and Liam Smith was benched. I understand Campbell is a fans favourite but if there isn't a place in the team him for don't just fit him in. Smith provides width and always looks to put the ball in the box. Campbell can't do that.

Naysmith plays a rigid two banks of 4 and arguably 2 up front. Players like McAleer suffer in his system as they are expected to contain the opposition and their attacking instincts are curbed. Also Riordan has been a massive disappoint and just doesn't fit into the team. He has never been a LM but did play on the left for Hibs suppose as an outside forward. He certainly wasn't a winger.

Dickson came in and had a massive impact, he had a couple of poorer games and is bombed to the bench. Walker hasn't kicked a ball or even laid a finger on an opponent for weeks but always starts.

As for the loan signing of Ola! Looks like he doesn't want to be here and to be honest I wouldn't care if he wasn't. At least it's fired up Fash.

Agree with all posts.Cannot understand why the manager seems to be scared stiff off teams,when ,on paper,we are as good as any team,forward wise.Any news on who will be signing,from the present squad,for next season?

A few were given 2 year Contracts, Stevie Campbell, Ross Brown, Alan Fleming & Alan Cook are the only 4 I know of just now!!

Saturdays team - Walker and 10 others.

Fash too of course on 2 year Contract, not Alan Cook!!!!