Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gerard Gallacher

This guy is a retired policeman from Glasgow and has written a book "Gangsters, Killers and Me". My brother in Canada said he played for East Fife, Stirling Albion and Morton during the 70's. The name doesn't ring any bells with me. Can anyone help?

Re: Gerard Gallacher

We had a goalie called Gerry Gallagher who I think only played one game which was our opening game in the old 1st division in 1971 against Dunfermline which we lost 1-0. Davie Gorman was injured that game but was back for the next game at Easter Road.
Might be the right guy, don't recall anyone else with that name playing for us

Did he not play aside Terry Lawrence?

Gerry Gallacher played two games for East Fife after signing from Campsie Black Watch in March 1971.
One v Arbroath in the League Cup on Wednesday September 4th at Bayview (a 0-2 defeat) and three days later in the opening league game at home to Dunfermline Athletic (a 0-1 defeat).
Our resident left back at the time took a sabbatical after a 2-3 home League Cup loss to Partick Thistle on August 18th before reappearing at Easter Road replacing Graham Honeyman in the 78th minute on September 11th.
Gerry Gallacher moved to East Stirlingshire on a free transfer in 1972.

Thanks for this. Gerry was obviously a better policeman than he was a goalie. Not very good stats. Still he was with us for a season and I don't know why I can't remember him at all. Toffee (Dave G) keeping him in the reserves might go someway to explaining it, and maybe he trained in Glasgow rather than have to travel to Bayview. I don't recall my sabbatical either so maybe it's just old age. Whatever the reason it wasn't because I was suspended (never sent off in my entire career including the juniors) or being replaced in the team by someone else, so it must have been through injury. I did sustain a serious pelvic injury (probably the result of too much Bacardi and loose women in the Levenmouth area at the time) which sidelined me for 3 months in the 72/73 season. Enter young Ian Printy. Fine young lad from Edinburgh but couldn't make a back for a waistcoat. Unfortunately broke John Brownlie's leg while playing Hibs at Easter Road. I bet john wished I had been playing that day, as I couldn't tackle a fish supper!!!

On this same subject when did we go up to Ross County in the Scottish and hump them 0-4. I think it may have been the 71/72 season.

December 19th 1970:
Ross County 1 East Fife 4

Gorman, Clarke, McQuade, Cairns, Martis, Borthwick, Quinn, Honeyman, Hughes, McPhee. Miller. Sub: Brown.

Scorers: Miller 22,30(pen), Hughes 49, McPhee 87
Attendance: 1,760

We went on to face St Mirren in the next round who beat us after two replays, both played at Love Street.
Clydebank knocked us out the following season after a replay at Bayview.

Thanks again, this is very much appreciated. I thought Gerry may have been in the squad for this game but obviosly he wasn't. I have a question for you. What was the last game in the Scottish cup to go to 3 games?

If I had a spare £1 million I would pay it to see this East Fife team play today. They would run rings around the opposition and certainly would't be in the bottom tier of Scottish football. Add the likes of Billy Gillies, Ian Printy, Colin Methven, Harry Kinnear, Derek O'Connor (sorry If I've missed anyones favourite) and what a bloody squad. Here come some more names, Mark Clougherty, Sammy Frickleton, Johnny Huskie, Johnny Love, Ernie McGarr....................

braveman
If I had a spare £1 million I would pay it to see this East Fife team play today. They would run rings around the opposition and certainly would't be in the bottom tier of Scottish football. Add the likes of Billy Gillies, Ian Printy, Colin Methven, Harry Kinnear, Derek O'Connor (sorry If I've missed anyones favourite) and what a bloody squad. Here come some more names, Mark Clougherty, Sammy Frickleton, Johnny Huskie, Johnny Love, Ernie McGarr....................

Yes that early 70's team had some pretty fine players but I think you're getting a bit carried away with some of those other names I mean Mark Clougherty and John Huskie? Really? And Sammy Frickleton played about 6 games for us. With you all the way on Ernie, Billy Gillies and Big Colin though.