Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
gary naysmith and positivity

Given all the understandable negativity about the manager for the first half of the season, no matter how the play offs pan out, does he not deserve some credit for the integrity and dignity he has shown in what must have been difficult times for him?

Furthermore we didn't become world beaters I know, but he also turned around a season where I thought we might be in the position in which Montrose finds itself now, to a position where we have a big shout of making this season a success, albeit through the back door? If he gets the blame then surely he must get the plaudits too?

I am fully aware of the Machiavellian financial goings on that have blighted our club for many years. This has played a big part in making us, sadly, in that time, the least successful club in Fife. A ludicrous position given our history! However, I strongly believe that equally to blame is our lack of continuity. Therefore, unless he has other plans, it is my view that we must keep Gary as manager.

What do you think?

Re: gary naysmith and positivity

bruce mitchell
Given all the understandable negativity about the manager for the first half of the season, no matter how the play offs pan out, does he not deserve some credit for the integrity and dignity he has shown in what must have been difficult times for him?

Furthermore we didn't become world beaters I know, but he also turned around a season where I thought we might be in the position in which Montrose finds itself now, to a position where we have a big shout of making this season a success, albeit through the back door? If he gets the blame then surely he must get the plaudits too?

I am fully aware of the Machiavellian financial goings on that have blighted our club for many years. This has played a big part in making us, sadly, in that time, the least successful club in Fife. A ludicrous position given our history! However, I strongly believe that equally to blame is our lack of continuity. Therefore, unless he has other plans, it is my view that we must keep Gary as manager.

What do you think?

Fucking agreed.

I agree and well put! I hope we keep Gary.
Think we have a wee bit of momentum going which gives us a chance of getting through the play-offs.

Let's jump on the securing a play off bandwagon and pretend the season has been a success. In my opinion, we have, on paper, the best bunch of players in the league. To have waited until the last game of the season to secure a play off place in the bottom league where the standard has been the worst I can remember, is unacceptable.
Far too many games where the tactics have been try not to lose have been evident this season and I shudder to think how Naysmith would cope in a league above.

Delighted when he got the job, he has been given long enougjh with his team but all in all it has been very poor!

Good post Bruce

It has been a frustrating season but I think Gary has done well since the turn of the year.

I do think he needs some help though - some of the shouts from the bench wouldn't be out of place for a pub team.

If he can keep K Smith, Page, Dickson , jules ( unlikely) ,Campbell and Campbell along with our young players ( which may be very hard if we stay down) and adds some experience and leaders I think we could do well. . That doesn't mean I want all the rest of squad to go (some will ) but we need a few leaders and a bit of creativity in midfield

I'd rather stick with Gary than start all over again with a new manager but would hope he has learnt from mistakes this season .

Well done to Kevin Smith, Ross Brown, Gary Naysmith & Fash on Winning awards at POTY Dance tonight, all deserved!!
GOOD luck in the playoffs on Wed/Sat boys, will be there again!!!!!!!

i'm all for enthusiasm but the facts are

liam buchanan freed and then becomes third top scorer in the championship among hearts, rangers, hibs and the rest
we were out of all three cups by 1st november
play-off spot only just secured
arbroath won just two games in 2015 and we finished behind them
18 points behind Albion Rovers

it has not been a good season. so far.

hold on
i think if we had a chance to me it would be a square go
you are yet another guy who runs the team and club down
i think you need to get a life
gary and the players are coming good

BT
hold on
i think if we had a chance to me it would be a square go
you are yet another guy who runs the team and club down
i think you need to get a life
gary and the players are coming good

Hear, fucking hear.

I have to say ALL the comments have merit. I was at the Elgin game. We weathered the storm in the first half, and ran out worthy winners. Whatever the play off outcome, I agree with the continuity theme. However, as I have said before, a part time team do not need, and cannot sustain, a full time manager. The club's financial situation would dictate that as well, and I believe Gary is smart enough to realise that.

Can't make it on Wednesday but wish the team all the best.

Firsty a joke he is on £800 a week! I spoke to few players in pre-season and everyone said title challenge, how anyone can say it has been a good season is beyond me. If any of the teams below us had any consistency we would be fucked. 53 points doesn't always do it, luckily results have went for us.

Firstly he is not on £800 a week, that would be a joke. The combined coaching staff isn't even close £800.
It really pisses me off that folk think they can come on here & just tell downright lies & what business is it of your's what Gary Naysmith or anyone else at the club earns? None!
Tell us where you work & what your wages / salary are, actually don't bother as it's none of my business & that's how it should be!
You can forget about things changing on the managerial front for the foreseeable as it will just not happen. This club needs stability & that what we will get.
Has it been a good season, no, I expected more but we are in the play-offs with a bloody good chance of promotion so can we not just be positive for even the next 6 days & see where that takes us.
I'll bet you would be one of the first on the park shaking Gary's hand if we do get through the play-offs. I'll be one of the first to shake his hand if we don't, its a game of football FFS, the important thing is that we actually have a club next season.

so, so, so fuckin frustrated
Firstly he is not on £800 a week, that would be a joke. The combined coaching staff isn't even close £800.
It really pisses me off that folk think they can come on here & just tell downright lies & what business is it of your's what Gary Naysmith or anyone else at the club earns? None!
Tell us where you work & what your wages / salary are, actually don't bother as it's none of my business & that's how it should be!
You can forget about things changing on the managerial front for the foreseeable as it will just not happen. This club needs stability & that what we will get.
Has it been a good season, no, I expected more but we are in the play-offs with a bloody good chance of promotion so can we not just be positive for even the next 6 days & see where that takes us.
I'll bet you would be one of the first on the park shaking Gary's hand if we do get through the play-offs. I'll be one of the first to shake his hand if we don't, its a game of football FFS, the important thing is that we actually have a club next season.
Great post.