Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
next season

Does anyone know if naysmith has signed a new contract or if we will be needing a new manager?? I think if we are looking for new manager it is a good time to look for one as so many looking either to get back into management or looking to start off managing. Anyone any realistic managerial candidates in mind

Re: next season

I believe his contract ends at the end of the month or thereabouts. Unless he decides to leave of his own accord I think he'll be manager again next season.

I hear all the problems there have been this season but Gary has to stay. The 'hire em and fire em' policy that we have followed for many years now so hasn't worked. Look at the success of the smellies from near Lochgelly. You have to give new managers time. Allegedly Fergie was 5 minutes from the sack at Man U until Mark Robbins scored a last minute penalty to equalise against Nottingham Forest and they went on to win the FA cup. And the rest.......

I would be very surprised if Gary will want to leave anyway as he needs some success on his CV for the future. At the end of next season is the time for a review. Short termism is a big part of our problems.

bruce mitchell
I hear all the problems there have been this season but Gary has to stay. The 'hire em and fire em' policy that we have followed for many years now so hasn't worked. Look at the success of the smellies from near Lochgelly. You have to give new managers time. Allegedly Fergie was 5 minutes from the sack at Man U until Mark Robbins scored a last minute penalty to equalise against Nottingham Forest and they went on to win the FA cup. And the rest.......

I would be very surprised if Gary will want to leave anyway as he needs some success on his CV for the future. At the end of next season is the time for a review. Short termism is a big part of our problems.

Agreed.

Naysmith has been a disaster at Bayview,he managed to get us relegated despite having a 9 point lead over Airdrie at christmas, and being allowed to bring players in during that transfer window.He was then allowed to assemble his own squad with the largest playing budget in Scotlands lowest division.
Despite the opposition being of the poorest standard I can ever remember, he has again failed miserably to deliver on his remit,to get us promoted.
After a season and a half of failure why would anyone want to let this guy continue to play awful,turgid,defensive,fear football, driving fans away in the process.He has not shown any indication that he can turn around our fortunes on the park thus weakening us off the park.

Dont agree
Naysmith has been a disaster at Bayview,he managed to get us relegated despite having a 9 point lead over Airdrie at christmas, and being allowed to bring players in during that transfer window.He was then allowed to assemble his own squad with the largest playing budget in Scotlands lowest division.
Despite the opposition being of the poorest standard I can ever remember, he has again failed miserably to deliver on his remit,to get us promoted.
After a season and a half of failure why would anyone want to let this guy continue to play awful,turgid,defensive,fear football, driving fans away in the process.He has not shown any indication that he can turn around our fortunes on the park thus weakening us off the park.

^^^^^^^^^
Ageee 100%

Dont agree

Spot on!!

bruce mitchell

Ah, the old Alex Ferguson chestnut. Brilliant.

Alex Ferguson won titles, domestic and European cups with Aberdeen. He was a proven mananger even when he joined Man Utd. Please provide a better argument to keep our current manager. If that's truly the best you can come up with, then you are an advert that he should probably go. You're all but putting nails in his EFFC managerial coffin.

All the manangers East Fife sacked were rightly sacked for being shite or not up to it or had off-field issues. None of them, like Robbo, have had another job as a manager since getting the boot from us - if you needed any convincing.

Other teams like Cowden (who've just spent a couple of seasons in the second tier) and the Rovers (a comfortable Championship side) made better choices with their managers. Ok, perhaps East Fife were truly unlucky with appointments, but they were rightly sacked at the right time.

Maybe Naismith should stay, but put up a better argument rather than that embarrassing pap, particularly the Fergie stuff.

Worst team in Fife, yet again and going backwards. There are your facts.

bruce mitchell
I hear all the problems there have been this season but Gary has to stay. The 'hire em and fire em' policy that we have followed for many years now so hasn't worked. Look at the success of the smellies from near Lochgelly. You have to give new managers time.

Cowdenbeath are looking for their eighth manager in ten years. Gary is our eighth manager in ten years.

How would we all feel if Gary found another club?

hit or myth

I would be quite happy with that. Hasn`t progressed us at all in the time he has been here and the standard of football on display is absolutely awful.

hit or myth

I'd be fucking delighted.

What's happening then?

Is Naysmith staying or going? If going we must get somebody in straight away to get a decent shout at the players available just now 18 from Pars, 2from Dundee and probably more.
If he is staying then whose on his radar for signing, and who is staying? Clyde seem to be pulling the players in already, let's get on our marks. Difficult to approach players until you know who is staying.
Gonna be a difficult league again with Stirling Albion, Arbroath, Queens Park/Stenhousemuir and the rest who we struggled against.

Will be getting my early bird season ticket soon .

Who Am I
What's happening then?

Is Naysmith staying or going? If going we must get somebody in straight away to get a decent shout at the players available just now 18 from Pars, 2from Dundee and probably more.
If he is staying then whose on his radar for signing, and who is staying? Clyde seem to be pulling the players in already, let's get on our marks. Difficult to approach players until you know who is staying.
Gonna be a difficult league again with Stirling Albion, Arbroath, Queens Park/Stenhousemuir and the rest who we struggled against.

He'll be staying as he`s nowhere else to fucking go.
Who would employ a manager who 1) got the club relegated and 2) lacks tactical nous, plays 11 men behind the ball and still end up getting beat?
Aye, Naysmith has all the credentials to be a success doesn't he?

Utter ham.

Mr Angry
Who Am I
What's happening then?

Who would employ a manager who 1) got the club relegated and 2) lacks tactical nous, plays 11 men behind the ball and still end up getting beat?

Utter ham.

Sounds like Levein will be appointing him the new Hearts manager then.

Mr Angry

I would not be so sure

Mr Angry
Who Am I
What's happening then?

Utter ham.

Let's see Mr angry what the fuk do you know about tactics probably as much as me,how about running
a football club probably fuk all too.

So who are you to be ripping into anyone if you know fuk all about it in the first place.

Yes you are entitled to an opinion but your sounding like a broken fuking record and boring the tits out of me.

Let's see now the manager has played for Everton hearts and Scotland so right away he has more football knowledge in his
big fuking toe than you.As a young manager I think it takes longer for him to get it together.

Moan all you want but our club are giving a young upcoming manager a chance to prove he can do it.

Hmmmmm
Mr Angry
Who Am I
What's happening then?

Utter ham.

Let's see Mr angry what the fuk do you know about tactics probably as much as me,how about running

So who are you to be ripping into anyone if you know fuk all about it in the first place.

Yes you are entitled to an opinion but your sounding like a broken fuking record and boring the tits out of me.

Let's see now the manager has played for Everton hearts and Scotland so right away he has more football knowledge in his
big fuking toe than you.As a young manager I think it takes longer for him to get it together.

Moan all you want but our club are giving a young upcoming manager a chance to prove he can do it.

We have a checkered history of giving first time managers their first break. For the odd success like Dave Clarke, Steve Archibald and arguably Jim Moffat, we have had more who have struggled, e.g. Gavin Murray, Rab Shannon, Steve Kirk, Gordon Durie, Steve Crawford, Billy Brown and Willie Aitchison.

I feel we should give Naysmith another chance but if things are not going well by Christmas then this should be reviewed and a change to an experienced manager should be considered.

Hmmmmm
Mr Angry
Who Am I
What's happening then?

Utter ham.

I probably know as much as you.
Who's ripping into anyone? You said it. I'm entitled to an opinion and this is mine. Naysmith isn't managerial material. End off. Not unless you like watching absolute shite football and quite happy to see the club go nowhere fast.

And get your tits sorted. That isn't fucking normal.