Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Naysmith interviewed for Raith job

According to several sources today. If he's applying for jobs, wonder if he's put his name forward for the position at Cowdenbeath too?

Re: Naysmith interviewed for Raith job

Fingers crossed!

Hope he fucks off now, can't see anybody wanting him to stay now.

Can anyone tell where it is stated that Naysmith applied for the Rovers job?
Maybe he did, maybe he didn't but why should it matter? He is being coinsidered for a job with a team two leagues above us, potentially a full time job & a chance to further his career. I wouldn't blame him if he went just as if someone offered me a full time job with higher wages & prospects, I'd jump at it!

its in todays sun. on a shortlist of five.

Herald Scotland

Monday 18 May 2015
Hello Visitor
Sign in | Register | Subscribe

News
Home News
Crime & Courts
Health
Education
Transport
Environment
World News
Dating
Family Notices
Book an ad
Politics
Sport
Football
Opinion
Rugby
Golf
Tennis
Cricket
Other Sports
Dating
Family Notices
Book an ad
Business
Comment
Arts & Ents
Life & Style
Homes
Motors
Jobs
Puzzles

Text size Send this article to a friend Print this article

inShare
Naysmith and Cleland in running for Raith Rovers job

Derek Miller
Monday 18 May 2015

The Board at Raith Rovers are due to convene today to decide on who the new manager of the Championship club will be with both East Fife boss Gary Naysmith and St Johnstone coach Alex Cleland in the running.

Former Hearts, Everton and Scotland defender Naysmith has managerial experience after being in charge of the Bayview men since December 2013. The 36 year old guided his side to the play-offs this season where they were defeated by Stenhousemuir who have gone on to secure their League 1 status. Cleland, who also played for Everton as well as Dundee United and Rangers, has been the caretaker manager at Livingston and St Johnstone as well as having youth positions at Inverness Caledonian Thistle and the Perth club. The 44 year old is keen to become a first team manager and may get his chance at Stark's Park as the duo were among the five candidates interviewed last week. The Kirkcaldy club are looking for the right person to replace Grant Murray and work alongside Director of Football Maurice Malpas and Laurie Ellis with Malpas believed to be keen on a more hands on roll with coaching than the one he has undertaken since joining the club back in December. The Rovers board are also keen to keep hold of Ellis who was the assistant manager to Murray who was sacked at the end of April and details of who will work alongside them is expected to be announced today.

If Naysmith thinks he ever got a hard time by our supporters,if he gets the Raith job,hes in for one hell off a shock.There last manager won them the "Micky mouse" cup,took them prity close to a play off spot(they still had a wee chance up till the end off March)and yet week in week out on fantalk(Raith forum)they were wanting rid off him.The style off football Naysmith wants the players to play,will sickin them to the bone to be honest.

Yes he's been interviewed but nowhere does it say he applied for it. He may have been invited for an interview without applying that is all I am saying

We are not wanting your cast offs thankyou very much. If this is the best our board of directors can come up with then not only the manager but them en masse will get it tight I make this promise. You can keep him or sack him he will not be welcome in Kirkcaldy.

raithman
We are not wanting your cast offs thankyou very much. If this is the best our board of directors can come up with then not only the manager but them en masse will get it tight I make this promise. You can keep him or sack him he will not be welcome in Kirkcaldy.

Glad to see you're giving him a chance there....

Though to be fair it says above he guided us to the play-offs this season. Doesn't mention that he also guided us to the play-offs last season too and relegation.

Please Lord let this be true.
I'd love to see the lino sniffing nuggets in the 2nd division which is where Nayclue Naysmith would take them.

Fucking please.

I second that emotion.

Walk or be pushed , I heard ?

raithman

Spot on!

Reading the views of the East Fife fans only confirms my fears!

If Naysmith ends up at Rovers I hope he is hounded out at the earliest opportunity.

Heard it on very good authority that he was at Starks Park today and it will be announced within the next 2 days, possibly tomorrow.

Fingers crossed he goes and he can take Walker with him. If he wasn't an ex Scotland international he would have been sacked months ago. Never a manager.

Frantic Rover
raithman

Spot on!

If Naysmith ends up at Rovers I hope he is hounded out at the earliest opportunity.

We've had plenty of your rejects over the years only fair that we return the compliment.

All I can say is I really hope not!! If he is not good enough for East Fife he is certainly no where near good enough to be employed by us.

Heard it through the grapevine that Mr Naysmith is also in for the Cowdung Vacancy.

Ray McKinnon will get the Linogimps gig.

I'll be disappointed if Naysmith has put himself forward for the Cowdenbeath job. Yes I can understand why he would like a full time manager's position with Raith in the Championship. That would clearly be a step up, however Cowdenbeath would be a step down in my opinion. They may be a league higher but in terms of facilities and fanbase then they are behind us.

Its clear that Naysmith wants to move on and is therefore applying for other jobs. Hopefully this doesn't cause uncertainty as a lot of players have stayed on with the club into the new season, presumably under the opinion that they would be working under Naysmith.

Let's hope he is successful in getting the Cowdenbeath job if he doesn't get the Raith one.

Maybe it suits the Board for Naysmith to be applying for other jobs so they can get rid of a high earner and replace him with someone who won't cost so much in wages.

Hopefully he gets a other job the Cowdenbeath job

Has he not gone yet?

Jimbob
I'll be disappointed if Naysmith has put himself forward for the Cowdenbeath job. Yes I can understand why he would like a full time manager's position with Raith in the Championship. That would clearly be a step up, however Cowdenbeath would be a step down in my opinion. They may be a league higher but in terms of facilities and fanbase then they are behind us.

In all honesty there's more chance of success with Cowden although relegated there actually not a bad side!if they can keep a good few of the guys from the season there,they will end up in play off spots at the very least!!

Terracing Now!
Has he not gone yet?

Fingers crossed.
Anyone who signs Alan Walker needs their fucking head looked.

Clueless.

Agree the chairman said he's done good he must be the only one thinks that he's done crap job

Ian Murray appointed St Mirren boss.
Ray McKinnon presumably to Raith.
As far as Gary Naysmith is concerned , I would have thought he would have to prove himself first, before any other club would hire him.

Everyone says he's staying not good

I wonder what forums like these would have made of Davie Clarke if they had been around between 1978 and 1982?
Gary Naysmith is another young, enthusiastic, articulate and intelligent manager learning his trade.

Fifer
I wonder what forums like these would have made of Davie Clarke if they had been around between 1978 and 1982?
Gary Naysmith is another young, enthusiastic, articulate and intelligent manager learning his trade.

Davie Clarke wanted to be East Fife manager. Gary has been looking for another job since the day he arrived.

Never mind, just you lot look forward to us coming to see you in Mefful!! COYR!

The fact that Gary has applied for a full time managerial post would suggest that he thinks he is ready for a step up. Now this hasn't stopped him carrying out duties for East Fife as he has obviously been active getting players signed up for next season. I am not his number one fan but I can see that a bit of continuity is required at Bayview as we have had several managers in recent years. I am sure a few of these players signed up for Gary as they must believe in his ability. Just because someone applies for another post it doesn't mean that he wont give 100% commitment to his current employer. I can see signs of improvement and Gary is learning as he goes, I am sure he has an idea what mistakes he made last season, and this will allow him to reflect on what is needed to get out of a hard league. I am more than happy for Gary to be manager of East Fife and I think we should be careful what we wish for. There are 2 of the 40 Scottish league team jobs available Dumbarton and Cowdenbeath both part time. Any young manager who is looking to go up the tree has to make a success at this level that's why Ian Murray, and Ray Mckinnon have got full time gigs. So by that reckoning Gary will have to make a success of East Fife. I would only suggest that he trys a more attacking style of football to reach this goal.

Frantic Rover
raithman

Spot on!

Strong rumours abound that the Rovers board pulled the plug on the Naysmith deal after offering him the position! They had second thoughts due to the negative reaction of the fans apparently. Nae luck Naysmith!

Fifer

More black and gold blinkered views from Fifer.

Right, I think we need to put all this to bed. He's obviously ambitious and wanting to step up in his career, nothing wrong with that, shame it was with them tho!! The fact that their board were extremely impressed says a lot but that the fact that they pulled the plug because of fan reaction will show him that he has to achieve with us this season. Let's get behind him and hope we see more attacking football next season.

Dearie me
Fifer

More black and gold blinkered views from Fifer.

Which part of that view did you disagree with?

Fat Doug
Right, I think we need to put all this to bed. He's obviously ambitious and wanting to step up in his career, nothing wrong with that, shame it was with them tho!! The fact that their board were extremely impressed says a lot but that the fact that they pulled the plug because of fan reaction will show him that he has to achieve with us this season. Let's get behind him and hope we see more attacking football next season.

Good point Doug. I think that we have to remember that inexperienced managers need time to learn and develop and that at clubs like ours that's the kind of person we will attract.

I think there has been a lot of improvement since Gary became manager andi believe there's more to come.

On another UBE note I find it rather distasteful when people make annonymous direct abusive comments about someone on a forum that I suspect they wouldn't make face to face.

I suppose t'internet means that the kind of stuff that in the past we'd have said to our mates in the pub now appears in permanent public written form.
That's why I never respond to comments on this forum. ☺

Gary Naysmith went from 16/1 this morning to 4/6 favorite for the Dumbarton job with Mcbookie. It's clear he has no interest in being East Fife manager anymore and feels he's ready to step up (we all know he definitely isn't). Sooner he's gone the better.. Just got to feel sorry for Dumbarton fans if he does get it!

McBookie had Derek Adams as favourite for the Rovers job from the time Grant Murray was sacked and never even quoted odds for Ray McKinnon, so I wouldn't read too much into it.
Probably Naysmith's agent will send in his CV along with those of other managers on that agent's books to every club seeking a manager.

Gary Naysmith went from 16/1 this morning to 4/6 favorite for the Dumbarton job with Mcbookie.

Gus McPherson was 4/6 favourite for the Dunfermline job and look how that turned out.

Yes the same knowledgeable fans will be rooting for that bastion of football Greg McDonald or some similar high class manager to take us to the promised land. Fu*k we are doomed

worse than that lads,with us having no money,the board might lumber us wi Aunderson,un im no meaning Liam,aa our next manager.

Naysmith is now second favourite for the Dumbarton post - clicky.

Hope he leaves dose not want to be at Fife no more

The Stranraer manger got the Dumbarton job so he might go for the Stranraer job next wolud not be no surpice like

Naysmith is going nowhere. No other club will touch him as his record as manager is shit. We need to put this to bed, get behind him whether we like it or not and move on.

Well said DPH need to get behind Manager & team, hopefully hear of new signings soon!!!

Looks like the Stranraer manger going to get the Dumbarton job happy for him

Gary Committed his future to East Fife

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/league-2/naysmith-signs-new-east-fife-contract-1.878943

The bad news just keeps on coming this week, huh.

They say things happen in threes, so what's next after the Directors bid and Naysmith re-signing?

GN clearly wants to get involved in full time management - which I've no problem with.
However, for him to do that he first has to make a success of things with East Fife which, in my opinion, he hasn't quite done yet.
Guys like McKinnon and Aitken have learned their trade with their clubs before moving up the divisions.
If GN leaves to go into full time football then it should benefit us because it has to mean that he's achieved something.
We didn't get off to the best of starts last season, but we showed enough from the turn of the year to make me think that Gary can lead us forward next season.

To be fair Mckinnon and Aitken, probably inherited a better setup and had better resources than what Gary got.

Stevenson states that this season's budget will be even smaller that last years making Gary's task even harder.

His contract was up at East Fife ..... and he did stick things out and turn things around last season. I'm happy that he has one more shot at it. And I have no problem if prior to re-signing at EF he did look around at clubs with more resources available.

With the core of the squad re-signed things should hopefully now progress.

Naysmith signs new East Fife contract
28 May 2015 9.01am.

Twitter

Email

East Fife player/manager Gary Naysmith has ended speculation regarding his future by signing a new contract at Bayview.

Naysmith was recently linked with the managerial vacancies at Championship sides Raith Rovers and Dumbarton however he has pledged his future to the Fifers.

He said: “I am looking forward to the new season with East Fife. We have a number of last season’s squad signed up and have brought in Ryan Goodfellow already. There are more signings in the pipeline and these deals will be completed when I get back from my holidays.”

OK so maybe I didn't like some of his players in certain positions choice and he applied for other jobs but maybe Naysmith was encouraged to do so by EF finances but now he has signed a new contract (probably on lower wage) but I for one welcome a bit stability at the club so lets buckle down and get behind everybody at Bayview. I for one was not looking forward to the time which would have been taken up getting a new manager in place and then trying to get new players in at last minute.

Let's get behind Naysmith and get on with getting a team together to get out of this f'n league.

By the way see Arbroath are fairly gettin the players in. Now it's Grechan from Stenny and Lewis could from Stirling Albion as well as 3 others including Fleming. Name messing there then.

Gary is now the 9th longest serving manager in Scotland!!!

08/05/08 - Dick Campbell (Forfar Athletic)
07/10/11 - Jim McInally (Peterhead)
13/01/13 - Jim Chapman (Annan Athletic)
30/01/13 - Jackie McNamara (Dundee United)
30/01/13 - Alan Archibald (Partick Thistle) (caretaker initially, officially confirmed 22/03/13)
07/04/13 - Derek McInnes (Aberdeen) (officially confirmed 25/03/13 but didn't take charge for a fortnight)
10/06/13 - Tommy Wright (St Johnstone)
24/10/13 - Gary Bollan (Airdrie United)
25/11/13 - Gary Naysmith (East Fife) (caretaker initially, officially confirmed 18/12/13)

Do with that information what you will!!

Good post.

What's Dick Campbell's record in 8 years?

2008-09 6th Division 2 (4th tier)
2009-10 2nd Division 2 (promotion)
2010-11 3rd Division 1
2011-12 7th Division 1
2012-13 4th Division 1 (play-offs)
2013-14 7th Division 1
2014-15 3rd Division 1 (play-offs)

Jack
2008-09 6th Division 2 (4th tier)
2009-10 2nd Division 2 (promotion)
2010-11 3rd Division 1
2011-12 7th Division 1
2012-13 4th Division 1 (play-offs)
2013-14 7th Division 1
2014-15 3rd Division 1 (play-offs)

Way better than any of our managers have managed then

To be fair we've never given a manager 8 seasons in order to consolidate or build!!!

In fact the last one was Davies Clarke from 1978 till 1987!!!

Maybe there's something in that!!!

Good point KK. People rave about Clarkes performance and rightly so the man is a legend. What people miss out is the fact it was dire for a few seasons till he finally built a great team. For me I'd rather have stability and wish Gary all the best for the new season

Dave Clarke, said when he got the job,said that it would take him 5 years to build a team.The fact that the 80/81 season was the worst postion in the league, that I have witnest(4th bottom off the old 3rd division)in my time off watching us,does not tell the whole story.Dave was not scared to play young players,if they were good enough.Yes,Dave got a lot off stick from the fans,however,he had a great no2,and stuck with his plans for the club.Has Naysmith got what it takes to get us up this season?Well maybe if he let other teams worry about us instead off the other way around,and set out a team ,that if our opponents score 2,weel just go out and score 3,theres a chance he might.We can only hope!!!!!!

The first few games will be very important for Gary as manager. There's no way we can lose 3 games on the bounce and give teams a head start again. Arbroath, Clyde and Stirling Albion will fancy there chances of winning league. I await with interest to see what calibre of players we bring in. Chairman has said we aim to win the league yet apparently we will have a smaller playing budget. As I've said before I am behind Gary but he must get a settled team quickly and worry about ourselves and no one else. Attacking football would be a bonus as well and stop defending a 1 goal lead as it's negative to watch and as we have seen it usually comes back to bite us in the arse. Good luck for the season ahead Gary and hopefully he can get us out of this league.

Queen's Park as well might

See on the BBC gossip column yesterday that Rangers as well as 6 other premier league clubs want Jules ?

Yeah they do dundee and St Johnstone in for him

Colin H
Yeah they do dundee and St Johnstone in for him

Jules is living the dream at Bayview. I can't imagine why he would want to go anywhere else.

Cos he's far to good for this league

I'm shocked he hasn't been linked with the brechin or Cowden job at how this topic keeps getting many posts daily. As gary said months back we were lucky to have Julen here so probably won't be here next season fair play to the guy we gave him a chance it paid off now full-time clubs are wanting to sign him on the plus note Page has signed and we got get on re-building the squad signed on from last season.