Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Current Squad

Goalkeepers

Ryan Goodfellow

Defenders

Steven Campbell
Jonathan Page
Gary Naysmith

Midfielders

Ross Brown
Allan Walker
Fraser Mullen
Alan Cook
Lewis Barr?

Strikers

Jon McShane
Nathan Austin
Kevin Smith

Re: Current Squad

According to Twitter Lewis Barr is away. Hope we hear of a few players coming in soon. Not exactly encouraging folk to purchase their season ticket early.

Getting a bit concerned, players going out none coming in yet. Goo d luck to Lewis Barr, always gave his all for the team. A bit unlucky.

John Sweeney, who has been mentioned, in 5 seasons with Clyde he has played about 135games, he hs scored 18 goals, got. 27 yellow cards and 2 reds. Another walker maybe??????????

Need to be realistic I'm afraid! Owners couldn't give a fuck about club and current board don't have the cash to pump in to take us forward. Early days get but if Barr does leave that will be 2 alleged signed players that have left. Not looking good.

Lewis Barr departed Bayview this afternoon by mutual consent.

We wish him all the very best for the future.

This is from East Fife's OFFICIAL web site Tues June 2 2015

Lewis Barr leaving is no loss. He didn't develop like Brown and Austin did I'm afraid. Junior level player

Maybe so pundit,however for 100% effort,not shy to get stuck in,prob the fittest player in the squad and remember hes still young,i think he should have been giving at least till January to try to force his way into the team.As for Brown,he has gone backwards in the past 12 months.Unless Naysmith can get a good right back in,Brown will again get stuck in that postion,and continue to go backwards.

Brown absolutely dominated David Templeton in the game with the Gers earlier in the season - I remember Barr having a stormer too.
It's a pity Barr is leaving but all the best to the lad.

Somebody on pie and bovril saying kevin kelbie is coming to the fife. My research says he's 30 and his last Club was lithlingow rose, not happy atall

Ewan
Somebody on pie and bovril saying kevin kelbie is coming to the fife. My research says he's 30 and his last Club was lithlingow rose, not happy atall

Is this the same player that went to Morton and plays upfront? I see lithlingow have our former players Gary Thom and John Overstone and heard Craig Wilson has signed for arbroath well anything better than the pervious rumours of sweeney and banjo that's for sure.

Ross Brown has greatly improved last season considering he was played in a few different positions, he deserves a new Contract & will hopefully kick on next year, good luck to the lad & the whole team. Lewis Barr has seemingly signed for Kelty Hearts, its a shame he didnt stay!!

Ross Brown is a far superior player all round, Lewis was strong and gave 100% guaranteed but for me did not have the technical ability for this level and his input was limited. Just my opinion.

Haven purchased my season ticket I'm looking forward to the season already, very positive things and squad re-building is looking good and had to ship out players that performed under par last season or didn't play much either injured or be a regular and signing shrew players like Slattery, Wilkie, MacGregor, Goodfellow and Craig Murray is positive though we could do with a striker, another goalie and hopefully Gary will use his loan market again.

Goodfellow looks a good replacement for fleming need see more and will be number 1 as the only goalie until we get another goalie to compete for number 1 jersey but he is a guy that had potential at dunfermline.
MacGregor - not the biggest signing but has played at a high level at a young age as a right back we need since we never replace Durie though Liam smith did the job well last season.
O'Kane - need see more but looked solid in pre-season at CB and can play midfield.
Mercer - looked solid and is like for like replacement for S.Smith as he never got much games ahead of Naysmith for the future role as left back.
Page - best CB the club has got, solid in the air scores goals for a defender and happy seeing the englishman back permentely.
Wilkie - berwick fans obv rates him high and looks the part.
Slattery - looks good so far.
Murray - not the tallest player but is a big player and pleased we signed him.
Walker - I know many fans will disagree with manager re-signing him for another season but this could be a big season for the regular to fight for his place this season round and has looked a different player in pre-season though he does like a moan but has the determination for a footballer.
Campbell - will be like a new signing once his injuries and op is behind him still a big player but hopes the manager puts him back to his CB role.
Mullen - can cover at full-back and play midfield, fans favourite.
Fash - has scored goals in pre-season and if he gets decent service he will be dangerous and gives defence a hard time, still a young age has potential but lacks the kill touch sometimes still a big player.
K.smith - gives us that something upfront like fash big player upfront.
R.Brown big player has the talent and can play anywhere part for upfront/goals a does the job for the team another harry kane in this team for me.

Looking at those going out Cook and McAleer weren't regulars, injuries played a part and cook didn't have a good season disappointed with Caolan.
Barr though he came through our youth system lost his way and never really got many games and was far off last season and reason why walker got regular starts. Fleming didn't see what fans saw in him both him and Millar last season took turns in goals and we never had an outstanding number one keeper. Beaton manager didn't like attiude another of the wage bill. McShane didn't think he wanted to be here and pre-season he looks like he has lost his way and the club was right to sell him to stenny so no big loss. Riordan thought there was one more season but was a big player at such age he is it was a big if next season. S.smith didn't get many appearances ahead of the manager at his age, Julen though would like to have kept him it was a big ask had the potential to sign for who he signed for and we do have page and Campbell maybe O'Kane still as strong in that department. Youth players falconer and maskrey was right to move rather waste a wage and be a sub to bring in players and we're the last of the last of our youth system that was part of McNeil era of pro-youths at the club until some years down the line players are ready. As for loan signing would of like see Liam smith back did have great spell but would want to develop his career and break into hearts first team in a higher division.

Other than that a few signings needed in the team and I'm looking forward to see us next season, I think gary has done well with the budget he had and bringing in players, how pre-season has gone so far am overall happy. The away kit will make up for the poor home kit but happy see something new and all in all its why we support east fife I'm hoping we can finish at least the play-offs that won't be a terriable season considering what clyde, stirling (recently relegated) and arbroath have brought in be a dark horse of Queens park that finished 2nd last season.

Not to sure about goodfellow, I think the keeper on Sat was better but still to early to say anything.
I think O'kane is a solid CB and will make a strong partnership with Page (hope to see a good few clean sheets)
Mercer in Pre-season looks comfortable on both r and lb, I think deffensively with Mcgregor its a solid back 4.

Midfield....Slattery looks class both CM and can do a job on the wing, brilliant on and off the ball, Wilkie the same great energy and like what I have seen of him.
I never Really supported a local team due to upbringing but not missed a game since playoffs last season and seen all preseason, however I really like Walker CM and rate him quite highly in the games I have seen.

Fash played great pre season as has Smith and will hopefully hit the ground running amd do a shift against the rovers but do feel another striker is needed.

Just my opinion as a new fan, so don't take offense or get upset or if I'm totally wrong remember I'm a newbie here.

Defence is brutal this year. Hearts forum saying the average age was 16 and we were split open many a time. We barely held on!

Worried
Defence is brutal this year. Hearts forum saying the average age was 16 and we were split open many a time. We barely held on!

Must have been watching a different game from the rest of us. We should have been out of sight in the first half. A few defensive lapses admittedly but we were well on top.

Agree we were well on top in Hearts game & should have scored more, especially Fash, could have had a hatrick & more, albeit they were U'20 Hearts team so I heard.

We look okay up front and in midfield but i still think the defence needs improvement.Well on top against hearts should have been about 6 for us but they caused us problems at the back when running at us.

Liam Smith loan move or do we need another CB type as well as a forward and goalie??

Fiinn graham has singed for Berwick

Captain Ronhawk
Goalkeepers

Ryan Goodfellow
Mikey Couser

Defenders

Steven Campbell
Jonathan Page
Gary Naysmith
Graeme MacGregor
Scott Mercer

Midfielders

Ross Brown
Allan Walker
Declan O'Kane (Played CB in pre-season)
Fraser Mullen
Craig Murray
Patrick Slattery
Kyle Wilkie

Strikers

Nathan Austin
Kevin Smith

EFFC Black and Gold
Worried

Must have been watching a different game from the rest of us. We should have been out of sight in the first half. A few defensive lapses admittedly but we were well on top.

I don't think so mate ,Mikey Couser had 3 great saves to keep us level . Defence was troubled, to many times from a youth team .

Early days mate!! New team again still gelling but look good already, the real stuff starts on 25th, we should have won that game 6-1. How many of that youth team will make the 1st hearts team, 1 if their lucky!!

Squad taking shape but still think we are lacking in some areas, especially with the injury records last season of Gary, Fash & Stevie Campbell. I was disappointed to hear that Finn Graham signed for Berwick as I thought his energy could have been valuable. I feel we have a lack of height in the team which needs addressed. I like Page, Campbell and OKane but none of them are particularly big and commanding. Up front we are severely lacking in terms of options. Injuries and suspensions will always kick in at some point. Going with only two strikers also doesn't provide competition for places which forces players to perform. I feel we need another two strikers. One experienced and a hungry younger player would be ideal. Someone mentioned exHibs & Morton striker Ross Caldwell who has been on trial at Dunfermline. He would be a great addition as would the experience of Andy Batrowman. Getting in a couple of young loanees is a gamble as Ola Adeyemo showed last season.

Yeah we would need add couple of players as last season we had injuries and players fit. Going with two strikers I would like to see us add another two upfront as it worked when adding Riordan and Ola helped our form on the latter part of last season. I suggested the exHibs/St mirren forward Campbell who played as a trialist in 3-0 win against us as am surprised he hasn't yet been signed for the pars along the road and would add something even dropping down a league like Higgins at Clyde and Barrowman would add experience alongside fash whose been scoring goals in pre-season and kev. Finn graham would have be great addition to the squad but I feel having murray and wilkie there our midfield is strong but I do think we should add another CB even though O'Kane can play there and Campbell still missing we would need a replacement and mercer can cover for Gary at left back as we all know Gary won't play every game at his age does he have the legs play every week and macgregor is a right back so sorted there we can add loan players and who's avaliable for loan? I know Elgin have so far loaned 3 players from st johnstone already I wonder if a Dylan Carreiro of Dundee or Craig Halkett of Rangers u20s would be on the loan list this time around. Certainly Bayview boy picked up what I think we need add more players to avoid our injury list and weakness that we need to add two more strikers to the two we have got to be a great team this season ahead. I noticed from saturday win craig slutherland was on trial maybe gary needs another look at him was with stenhousemuir and blackpool that would take us to three another would be required if injuries in the striker department happens at any point plus kev will miss the dumbarton game along with walker.

Fifee
Adam harwood said to Gary he would play for free and was turned down, joke. Said he loved it up here , shame on the boy

Gutted for him too, liked him and though he looked decent in his 2 & 3 game.

Would sign slutherland and had two chances himself today to score as a trialist has played at higher level I noticed most reckon with Blackpool and rangers under 20s then drop to stenhousemuir, look himself a part and good deal to send mcshane the other way.

If that's true that he offered to play for free, then Gary must be crazy to turn the offer down. He would bolster a thin squad, offering an option to put pressure on those starting but also offering an alternative when injuries and suspensions hit. Unless he is a bad apple like a certain player who left and went to Berwick last season, then I think Gary has made a bit of an error.

BaSeDGoDSA1NT
Fifee
Adam harwood said to Gary he would play for free and was turned down, joke. Said he loved it up here , shame on the boy

rodney harris
Would sign slutherland and had two chances himself today to score as a trialist has played at higher level I noticed most reckon with Blackpool and rangers under 20s then drop to stenhousemuir, look himself a part and good deal to send mcshane the other way.

Yeah agreed I would sign Sutherland, looked comfortable up top didn't play to bad either against Hearts on RM.
However I would have signed Adam Hardwood too.

Hopefully he'll sign suthie and have 3 strikers avaliable for the season ahead in terms of options, decent talent on offer with experience for sure no a natrual goalscorer but was overlooked at stenhousemuir I would think he'll come good and be a straight swap that saw McShane off our wage bill in exchange for Craig, sign him Gary.

Bayviewboy
If that's true that he offered to play for free, then Gary must be crazy to turn the offer down. He would bolster a thin squad, offering an option to put pressure on those starting but also offering an alternative when injuries and suspensions hit. Unless he is a bad apple like a certain player who left and went to Berwick last season, then I think Gary has made a bit of an error.
BaSeDGoDSA1NT
Fifee

Auld Jessie farted ootside her house in Simon Crescent and by the time she got to the shops the rumour was she'd shat herself

Don't you just love the Bayview Steamie

Our squad and numbers confirmed for season according to wikipedia..

1. Ryan Goodfellow
2. Fraser Mullen
3. Pat Slattery
4. ? (Stevie Campbell)
5. Jonathan Page
6. ? (Allan Walker)
7. Craig Murray
8. Ross Brown
9. Fash
10. Kevin Smith
11. Kyle Wilkie
12. Declan O'Kane
13. /
14. Graeme MacGregor
15. Gary Naysmith
16. Scott Mercer
17. Jason Kerr
18. Craig Sutherland
19. /
20. /
21. Mikey Couser

Bayviewboy
BaSeDGoDSA1NT
Fifee

Adam harwood told me this personally.

Just another fan
Bayviewboy
BaSeDGoDSA1NT
Fifee

Sorry to hear that as I though he looked good at CB amd good have been a brilliant squad player throughout a long season.

BaSeDGoDSA1NT
Just another fan
Bayviewboy
BaSeDGoDSA1NT
Fifee

Sorry to hear that as I though he looked good at CB amd good have been a brilliant squad player throughout a long season.

Any chance we could give the boy another chance or do we really need five CB's? I think our squad is done for now it's not like we are short of numbers.

I notice that the current suspension list issued by the SFA on 23/07/15 refers to Allan Walker as formerly East Fife. Has there been a delay in his registration and if so will he be available for selection against Dumbarton? Our squad isn't the biggest and unless we are bringing in someone better I think we may need his experience (even if he is a moaning git).

I really think that Gary has assembled the basis of an excellent squad this season, but it really needs fleshed out, think this was shown yesterday on our subs bench, not counting the Couser the goalie, we only had three substitutes in the dugout, which therefore means Gary only has three possible tactical changes up his sleeve that can be made by utilising these substitutes, surely limiting his armoury???

Just look at the Dumbarton bench in comparison, not counting their sub-keeper the had SIX outfield players, double what Gary had, therefore potentially double the tactical changes their manager could have made!!!

My thoughts on this should by no means be taken as a criticism of Gary as I think he has assembled the basis of an excellent Team this season, the very fact we won yesterday, despite our Manager’s obvious disadvantage in terms of personnel, is testament to Gary’s tactical nous and his eye for a decent player but I really feel that unless he bulks out our squad, we are really going to suffer when the inevitable injuries and suspensions kick in!!!

King Kebab
Just look at the Dumbarton bench in comparison, not counting their sub-keeper the had SIX outfield players

To be fair, even counting their sub-keeper, they had six outfield players.

How long will Campbell be missing? We'll have smith back for saturday I think one more striker and midfield would booster the bench means gary to search for those listed on other club loan list so be it would give him options but gary's did wonders with a lesser bench and every player minus our sub keeper (who played last night) getting game time and chemistry players would be happy and gary did wonders with the budget and getting a result in the cup.
Been closely watching Ryan Hardie for rangers u20s and Angus Beith with hearts u20 level are future talent, both players would be ideal loan signings for gary there both strikers and keen to get first team games elsewhere I'm sure for next season than rot in their u20 sides, gary still has great knowledge of the loan market and it works quite well at east fife and gary so we'll see though am no too worried about our team and our options we have for saturday.

rodney harris
How long will Campbell be missing? We'll have smith back for saturday I think one more striker and midfield would booster the bench means gary to search for those listed on other club loan list so be it would give him options but gary's did wonders with a lesser bench and every player minus our sub keeper (who played last night) getting game time and chemistry players would be happy and gary did wonders with the budget and getting a result in the cup.
Been closely watching Ryan Hardie for rangers u20s and Angus Beith with hearts u20 level are future talent, both players would be ideal loan signings for gary there both strikers and keen to get first team games elsewhere I'm sure for next season than rot in their u20 sides, gary still has great knowledge of the loan market and it works quite well at east fife and gary so we'll see though am no too worried about our team and our options we have for saturday.

The lad I was at the game with last night (Leven) asked Campbell how long till he is back and he said he'll be back training in 2 weeks.
Angus Beith, did he play in the friendly against East Fife?

Did this guy have a purple jacket on? He seemed to do a lot of talking!

Nosey
Did this guy have a purple jacket on? He seemed to do a lot of talking!

Na black jacket