Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
anxious times

Since the chairman spoke about his delight that so many players had stayed on, we have had three players leave despite supposedly being signed on. Now Naysmith has said in today's paper that he is more frustrated than ever that he cant get players to come to East Fife and that junior clubs are offering more cash.
Also Stevie Campbell is to miss the pre-season as he is having an operation.
Can already hear the excuses for a poor start to the season - needed to bring a lot of players in. They didn't arrive till late. Havent had time to gel etc etc

Re: anxious times

Not good

And the Chairman say`s that they aim to "hit the ground running" and are looking to win the league!!! Who is he trying to kid?

Sadly,last season`s shambles on and off the park looks set to continue.

Money is ruining the game at all levels, and I don't put the blame at the player's door. Too many clubs are living beyond their means, and it will go tits up one of these days. Money aside I think some players in the top teams such as Linlithgow, Bo'ness, Kelty feel they are playing at a very good standard, and would more than hold there own against certain Senior opposition. So to that end Gary will find it difficult to attract the top players, but I've watched the Junior game in Fife a lot these past few years and there is Senior potential out there. the Bluebell have just signed a young lad from there U19s. I watched him play as a trialist the other week against Dundee North End, and I thought he and my son Paul (not being bias here) were the two best players on the park. His name is Liam Rolland, and is the grandson of the Dundee United Leg End, Andy Rolland AKA The Major. He plays centre half but played right back that day and didn't look out of place. Do the Fife have anyone scouting the Fife Junior scene?

I know the boy you are talking to and I think he has been a pro youth player before and then went back to Woodside boys club. Some people think it is easy to step up, but a lot of players struggle. You just need to look at the young boy from Dundee Utd. Good player at the under 20s level and scores a lot of goals, but really struggled at East Fife.

There are to many people think they can spot a good player at boys club etc

Sorry but the laddie from Dundee United could've kick young Rollands arse. I watch him at Bayview, and I think he was an illegal immigrant who Dundee United hoped to off load to the Fife.

worried
Since the chairman spoke about his delight that so many players had stayed on, we have had three players leave despite supposedly being signed on. Now Naysmith has said in today's paper that he is more frustrated than ever that he cant get players to come to East Fife and that junior clubs are offering more cash.
Can already hear the excuses for a poor start to the season - needed to bring a lot of players in. They didn't arrive till late. Haven't had time to gel etc etc

The solution to your anxiety may be the acceptance that the upcoming season will likely be as poor as previous seasons, possibly worse!

If the playing budget has been cut so small that we can't even attract junior players, then the reality is we are going to struggle.

With an owner who has no interest in making the club successful, nor a desire to offload it to someone who does, the decline or dare I say it drawn out death of the club looks set to continue.

By casting aside any hopes or expectations we are no longer exposed to the possibility of disappointment and the anxiety that might bring. Only once we've freed ourselfves from the burden of aspiration can we truly look forward to the season ahead.

Nothing will ever change. Just a wee club with no ambition and a board who are happy to sit with their fancy blazers on looking important and an owner who is happy to hold on to his prized asset with no realistic buyers in sight. Our manager in the local papers stating we can't even compete with junior teams in terms of wages so it looks like another dreadful season coming up with a team made up of players no one else wants. £13 to watch glorified amateurs try and play football, I'll pass.

Its_Been_A_While
worried
Can already hear the excuses for a poor start to the season - needed to bring a lot of players in. They didn't arrive till late. Haven't had time to gel etc etc

The solution to your anxiety may be the acceptance that the upcoming season will likely be as poor as previous seasons, possibly worse!

If the playing budget has been cut so small that we can't even attract junior players, then the reality is we are going to struggle.

With an owner who has no interest in making the club successful, nor a desire to offload it to someone who does, the decline or dare I say it drawn out death of the club looks set to continue.

By casting aside any hopes or expectations we are no longer exposed to the possibility of disappointment and the anxiety that might bring. Only once we've freed ourselfves from the burden of aspiration can we truly look forward to the season ahead.

I think the club should just do the decent thing and go outside with a bottle of scotch and a loaded revolver.

Save us all a lot of hassle.

It's becoming a farce! Seriously think of throwing in the towel. Can't take much more of this year on year shit and lies.