Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
4th July : Dunfermline friendly (Home)

1/4 of pre-season game I hope we can see many faces for tomorrow's game as the pars are first team to vist methil.
**I would like to remind kick off is 1pm not 3pm.
We'll be looking forward to seeing the new players and trialists and most of all here to supporting the team and the cause.

Come on you Fife!

Re: 4th July : Dunfermline friendly (Home)

I'll be there, looking forward to see the new players.

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/business/travel/general/east-fife-dunfermline-soccer-live-stream-july-04-2015/20/8180871

I found this link dunno if this is possible and Pars tv is £1 to view so best to head down I reckon.

No TV but get a running commentary on
http://www.dafc.co.uk/fixture.php?SID=First Team&D=2015-07-04&ID=842
just keep hitting refresh button.......

0-3 What people think of the game and the trialists!

Pretty poor performance we barely tested their keeper, think we had 1 shot on target with a Page header from a corner. Their 3rd goal pretty much summed things when Moffat ran at our defence for about 60 yards unchallenged. No.7 Finn Graham, no.11 Kyle Wilkie and the no.16 full back seemed okay but the rest were nothing more than average. Luckily Dunfermline were poor otherwise it could of been a cricket score

BaSeDGoDSA1NT
0-3 What people think of the game and the trialists!

I though the boy at fullback and the CB NO4 (I think) were not to bad for first time together, I think they'd do a job next season.
I thouhh Page and NO4 worked well together too and done brilliant in the air, could be a good partnership.
Agreed the goals conceeded were poor.
No7 was confident on the ball and liked a run.

Unbelievable assessment of the game!
Maybe didn't hit the target but we actually created more chances than Dunfermline throughout the game!
First goal from brilliant run & cross from Williamson, second from Fraser Mullen being caught in possession, third from a good volley from Cardle. Not good defending admitted!
Duffy brought on 9 players with 35 mins to go & they were all first team quality ones at that. So our guys in their first game of the season faced virtually 2 different sides whilst breathing out of their arses!
More to be positive about than negative, like Finn Graham (7) & Scott Mercer (16) & Kane (4)!
We could have played a junior or amateur side today & scored a few goals but what would we have learned about the trialists? Absolutely hee haw so for me that was a good workout today
Pre-season counts for nothing,

Yep thought no 7 finn graham played well, also no 16 scott mercer I think looked decent. Kyle Wilkie looked decent too. Team played much better in first half, then kev smith, ross brown & fash were subbed, bad tackle on ross brown again, hope he's ok, their no 3 jason talbot should have been booked, after all he has previous!! We faded in the second half & made dunfermline look good. They will still struggle in league 1 next season!!

We did have a few chances in first half, probably more then Dunfermline. I thought that Page's partner at the back, no 4, had a decent game as did the guy at full back who had to move over to left back when Naysmith came off. The thing I would be worried about is that we have suffered every season against teams with a big heavyweight up front ie Clyde, Albion Rovers and others, and neither page or the Trialist were overly tall although they done well.

Wilkie looks like he could he could be an asset. Lost our way in the second half without Smith, Fash and Brown.

All in all could be a long season.

Ps was there a reason why Walker was announced as a Trialist?

Fairly good crowd today unfortunately in the Dunfermline end ??

By the way an earlier post said that Duffy brought on several subs. Who is Duffy cos manager is Johnston and side kick is Sandy Clark????

Why was naysmith subbed? I thought No.4, 16 and 7 are decent and second half did anyone noticed our subs warming up and took long to come out the tunnel?
No.5 and 12 was off the pace and their passing and defending error for number 3 by no.5 was poor. However I was glad see mcshane back but he missed a glorious chance at the end of the game and looks well dried and tired looking we did look a better team than pars but lack that cutting edge were and lost our way when three out of our four players went off ie Brown, Smith and Fash. Page and no.4 look a partnership and a replacement for Campbell been out on the treatment table with his op. I feel wilkie was great and I hope we will see slattery back either tuesday or saturday and Goodfellow looks decent but goals were due to bad defending. I feel the pars are miles behind a good team and stranrear, brechin's and airdrie will be right up there to win the league, long way to go and after-all it's our first game and mins on the park and team still need a few players yet. Full-backs a must? Another left-back if naysmith can't complete games and is walker not signed?

Get a grip
Maybe didn't hit the target but we actually created more chances than Dunfermline throughout the game!
First goal from brilliant run & cross from Williamson, second from Fraser Mullen being caught in possession, third from a good volley from Cardle. Not good defending admitted!
Duffy brought on 9 players with 35 mins to go & they were all first team quality ones at that. So our guys in their first game of the season faced virtually 2 different sides whilst breathing out of their arses!
More to be positive about than negative, like Finn Graham (7) & Scott Mercer (16) & Kane (4)!
We could have played a junior or amateur side today & scored a few goals but what would we have learned about the trialists? Absolutely hee haw so for me that was a good workout today

Totally agree.. Decent first half.. Speaking to Ryan Wallace's father and he agreed at half time harsh to be 1 0 down.. Second half we lost our way as 12 and 5 (both trialists) offered nought when they came on.. Thought wilkie looked quality as did Finn. Where was mcgregor and slattery?.. Finally McShane wtf open goal at 3 yards OTB wow! You know I am more confident about this season than last.. !

Terry Lawrence
Get a grip

Totally agree.. Decent first half.. Speaking to Ryan Wallace's father and he agreed at half time harsh to be 1 0 down.. Second half we lost our way as 12 and 5 (both trialists) offered nought when they came on.. Thought wilkie looked quality as did Finn. Where was mcgregor and slattery?.. Finally McShane wtf open goal at 3 yards OTB wow! You know I am more confident about this season than last.. !

Slattery was playing in a charity game not sure about macgregor though.

Whats the boys name who was RB then went To LB after the sub?
Who was cm no 6.........Walker?

Agreed I'm strangely optimistic this season after a 3-0 defeat, i though there were some good performances considering first game

McGregor on holiday.
Felt the three trialists who started the game - Declan O'Kane, Finn Graham and Scott Mercer all did well and if they show the same on Tuesday, should secure contracts. Fraser McLaren who came on at half time wasn't given much chance to show what he can do and the right back who came on (ex Dundee United ?) wasn't really involved that much to make an assessment.
Thought Wilkie looked as though he could be a good addition. Thought the goalkeeper (Proudfoot ?) looked a bit nervy at times and doesn't strike me as someone who will command his area and take pressure off his defence. Would like to see Gary try to bring back Jordan Millar on loan from St Johnstone, with Proudfoot as back up.
If the three starting trialists today sign contracts, there will probably only be another two or three players to be added. One of thes has to be a goalkeeper. A left back as cover for Naysmith also required although Mercer did ok today after Gary went off. I'd like to see another striker in but if he is going to persist with one up front, there is probably no need.
As in the last few seasons we have a real lack of height in the team which can make set pieces difficult to deal with. With the first few League games against teams similar to us in terms of budget and rebuilding, hopefully we can get off to a good start and build confidence for what looks like being a difficult season ahead.

The RB no 5 that came on was Dundee utd but was loaned to Montrose last season. He played CB last season for them

BaSeDGoDSA1NT
The RB no 5 that came on was Dundee utd but was loaned to Montrose last season. He played CB last season for them

Was it not Craig Bell? He didn't fill me with confendance, slighty nervous when he came on was running scared out at right back better with david banjo getting a trial.
To B.B comment about goalie the second goalie would be a loan signing if anything I don't think we will see either Millar or L.smith again just for there footballing development for their club droping to league 2 if they are to remain at their club and push for the first team though I'll be surprise and I reckon be someone fairly new and no had a crack yet in the first team spot-light maybe like law from raith rovers? & goodfellow not proudfoot is our goalie, we had a few bombscare's but do improve just hope the coaches get the best out of them when they are here.

BaSeDGoDSA1NT

I'm not sure number 5's name, I though it was Adam something.
I was sitting next to his mrs and she said his name but she had a strong Irish accent and I couldn't quite catch it.

western parr
BaSeDGoDSA1NT

Was it not Craig Bell? He didn't fill me with confendance, slighty nervous when he came on was running scared out at right back better with david banjo getting a trial.
To B.B comment about goalie the second goalie would be a loan signing if anything I don't think we will see either Millar or L.smith again just for there footballing development for their club droping to league 2 if they are to remain at their club and push for the first team though I'll be surprise and I reckon be someone fairly new and no had a crack yet in the first team spot-light maybe like law from raith rovers? & goodfellow not proudfoot is our goalie, we had a few bombscare's but do improve just hope the coaches get the best out of them when they are here.

I think Gary has asked for Jordan to return on loan but Saints haven't responded possibly want to see if anyone comes in for their senior keepers.

Dj Danny
western parr
BaSeDGoDSA1NT

I think Gary has asked for Jordan to return on loan but Saints haven't responded possibly want to see if anyone comes in for their senior keepers.

In all seriousness they won't be selling mannus or senior keepers. I think football development wise for his career to get better as a player and break into the first team is to slowly play in the next league above us get enough experience at been so young than at east fife again to increase his chances in staying with st Johnstone etc would he want to re-sign for another season battling for play-offs I don't think so I would want play elsewhere in a higher league for a team if I had another loan spell in order to stay break in your club at young age even in the youth team. That's why we will get a goalie who hasn't had experience in a first team or a loan spell at a club even in league 2 from the youth team that would come that's likely to be the case but yet again be surprise I'm sure he'll get more appearance if he did to boost this season in helping east fife so I will be surprise see him loaned out to the likes of us again.

Adam hardwood was number 5, ex Dundee United

Cool, we can call him Mahogany - that's a dam hard wood.

KotS
Cool, we can call him Mahogany - that's a dam hard wood.

And it satisfies rule 17.2b of the players handbook:

Rule 17.2: Players must be given a nickname that either
a) makes reference to a physical attribute or character trait "e.g. big yein, "mad-dog"
b) ends in a "y" e.g. "spencey", "paigey"
c) ends in an "o" e.g. "davo" "johno"

Exceptions:
1) player-managers must be called "gaffer".
2) players who are utter gash don't get nicknames