Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
East Fife v Raith Rovers Pre Season.

Although just a pre season kick about, I'm looking forward to the short trip along the road. Its been a while since we have been at Bayview. How is pre season going for you guys? Lets hope for a half decent kick about on Saturday!!

Re: East Fife v Raith Rovers Pre Season.

Raith Lad
Although just a pre season kick about, I'm looking forward to the short trip along the road. Its been a while since we have been at Bayview. How is pre season going for you guys? Lets hope for a half decent kick about on Saturday!!

I've been impressed by East Fife This pre season I was expecting the worse but a couple good performances and signings and I'm happy with the squad. I don't expect us to trouble you, I'm really impressed with the squad Ray has built and think you will have a really good season.

Yeah he seems to know what he is doing which makes a change from last season! I've watched the two games we have played so far against Hearts and Aberdeen we have played some fantastic football but tired around the 70 min mark due to going hammer and tongs for that time. You guys seemed to play pretty well against the Hearts youngsters though?

If we defend, like we did on Saturday,we'll get hammered.

enfifer
If we defend, like we did on Saturday,we'll get hammered.

I doubt we will be out to hammer anyone, I'm pretty sure we will score a couple but games between the clubs wether it be friendlies or league/cup games always seem to be pretty decent close games. How was the crowd when you played THEM ??

We are playing THEM on Saturday

EFFC Black and Gold
We are playing THEM on Saturday

Now Now,I feel you have mistaken us for someone else, perhaps Cowdenbeath?
I thought they were your Big enemies? Why hate us? What have we ever done to you to be hated? Or is it more frustration at not being able to beat us that hurts you the most? 😜

Goodfellow
MacGregor O'Kane Page Mercer
Murray Wilkie Brown Slattery
Smith Fash
Subs:
Mullen, Walker, Trialist (Gk), Trialist & Trialist.

Trialist
Mcgregor O'Kane Page Mercer
Brown/no9 Walker Wilkie Slattery
Smith Austin

BaSeDGoDSA1NT
Trialist
Mcgregor O'Kane Page Mercer
Brown/no9 Walker Wilkie Slattery
Smith Austin

I would expect us to line up something like this.

McGurn, Thomson, Benedictus, Toshney, McKeown

. Anderson craigen mccord megginson

. Stewart Vaughan

All hail the big fellow from the Basque Country

-

Fifer
All hail the big fellow from the Basque Country

-

To be fair he couldn't miss lol

Looking forward to the game tomorrow, will enjoy my day out regardless of the score. We should be playing each other on a more regular basis in fact all Fife teams should be in the same league. Used to enjoy the games at the old Bayview a good atmosphere, usually a good open game, sometimes we won, sometimes we got skelpt. Hopefully something similar tomorrow.

raithman
Looking forward to the game tomorrow, will enjoy my day out regardless of the score. We should be playing each other on a more regular basis in fact all Fife teams should be in the same league. Used to enjoy the games at the old Bayview a good atmosphere, usually a good open game, sometimes we won, sometimes we got skelpt. Hopefully something similar tomorrow.

Really looking forward to this one tomorrow, I have a strange feeling of optimisn, I'm sure that will be beating out off me by the full time whistle, If not surely the usual moaning people around me will surely kill it.

Just looking at the weather tomorrow 4mph winds

raithman

We would like nothing more to be playing you guys regularly and have a proper Fife derby once again. Our traditional new year local derby is now Elgin City.

Sadly we have been totally shit for 25 years and for that I can only apologise.

BaSeDGoDSA1NT

That doesn't sound so bad - just a gentle breeze then.

BaSeDGoDSA1NT

Aslong as its dry lol The games against the pigs along the A92 are great days out big crowds and great atmosphere. But East Fife is another of those!! With the exception of a 7-8k crowd lol I agree with above it would be great to have East Fife Dunfermline and Cowdenbeath in the same league. You guys need to get your backsides in gear!!

Terracing Now!
raithman

We would like nothing more to be playing you guys regularly and have a proper Fife derby once again. Our traditional new year local derby is now Elgin City.

I must have dreamt that we won the league, won promotion three times, beat SPL Aberdeen, St Mirren, Dunfermline Athletic in the cup in that time

So yeah I ment to type 45mph wind, not 4 lol

Kings of Fife and what do you have to show for that now?
My post was about the times our two teams have played each other in the past and I started watching the Rovers in 1964 and have seen countless games between the two teams. This is a fixture that had a lot of close games one or two skelpings for each side. It is this that I miss, going to the old Bayview was great bit of banter, handbags at thirty paces, two teams going for it and no quarter asked or given. That was how I remember it and hope we have something similar tomorrow. Get your team sorted and start rising again, your better than where you are now.

Kings of Fife
Terracing Now!
raithman

I must have dreamt that we won the league, won promotion three times, beat SPL Aberdeen, St Mirren, Dunfermline Athletic in the cup in that time

All fleeting or one-offs and apart from 95-96 the promotions simply got us out of the bottom league and were usually followed by disappointment. How many seasons in the past two and half decades have we spent in the 2nd tier? How many of those seasons have we been at the same level as Raith?

Compared to historical and similar level rivals like Raith, Falkirk, St Johnstone, QoS etc. we have been also-rans for far too long and are simply an irrelevance to the fans of those teams. That was not the case with the East Fife I grew up with and when we stood toe to toe with them with no inferiority complex.

We have been shit in comparison for 25 years and I stand by that

I seem to remember playing the Rovers at old Bayview in a Scottish cup tie. Their goalie, Bobby Reid managed to get himself sent off, and we went on to win 4-0. I think this was circa 1970 when we went on to beat Morton at Bayview (my most famous goal) and on to the quarter finals against Dundee. Got beat 0-1.

I think one of my fondest memories of our Derbies was one New Year's Day at Starks Park. I was playing left back, and they had Benny McGuire, who played at outside right, and usually gave me a pretty hard time. We arrived to hear the news that Benny had been arrested the night before (a weegie through and through) and we went on to win 2-0, I think.

An East Fife Leg End
I seem to remember playing the Rovers at old Bayview in a Scottish cup tie. Their goalie, Bobby Reid managed to get himself sent off, and we went on to win 4-0. I think this was circa 1970 when we went on to beat Morton at Bayview (my most famous goal) and on to the quarter finals against Dundee. Got beat 0-1.

I think one of my fondest memories of our Derbies was one New Year's Day at Starks Park. I was playing left back, and they had Benny McGuire, who played at outside right, and usually gave me a pretty hard time. We arrived to hear the news that Benny had been arrested the night before (a weegie through and through) and we went on to win 2-0, I think.

Superb!! Lol

Wot time is KO tomorrow and what is the admission price? Anyone know?

An East Fife Leg End I do remeber Benny McQuire playing for us. If in the mood could change a game but as you say was always doubtful on a Friday night not the first time he was bailed from a jail, but on his game what a player.

Gogo
Wot time is KO tomorrow and what is the admission price? Anyone know?

3pm £10 for adults

An East Fife Leg End

The cup tie you refer to Peter was 3-0 I think. The following season we won 5-1 in the league, the linos not for the first time tried to kick their way to a result but got soundly spanked for their troubles! I remember another New Years game at Kirkcaldy played on a frozen pitch (they would never have allowed it to go on these days) but it was a great game though we did end up losing 2-1. Then there was the 1976 battle when 3 got sent off and god knows how many were booked. Those were the days!

The two games I remember were league cup section games in 1964. We beat Raith at Starks 4 1 in the first game, George Christie hat trick in his first game for us I think. In the second game at Bayview we got beat 5 0 but I think we still qualified out of that section.

You deserved the victory today, you were hungrier and used the ball to your strengths. No excuses for us I fear it is going to be a long hard season. Best of luck for the forth coming season.

Raith man don't be too hard on your team, I thought McKinnon picked up a good few decent players. I think you lot will do ok.

By the way could you let me know your line up today?

Surely.

1) Ross Laidlaw
2) Lewis Toshney
3) Darren Petrie
4) David Bates
5) Kyle Benidictus
6) Ross Callachan
7) Grant Anderson
8) Ross Mathews
9) Mitchel Megginson
10) Trialist
11) Lewis Vaughn

Subs :- David McGurn (GK), Rory McKeown, Ryan McCord, James Craigen,
Callum Robertson, Elliot Ford, Jonny Court.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Raithman. Like I said earlier Quite a few well known names and I am sure you will do well

Henry Kissinger
Cheers Raithman. Like I said earlier Quite a few well known names and I am sure you will do well

^^^ Linophile

Likewise i thought East Fife were the better side and I was surprised at how well they moved the ball about at times, tried like bears against a very pedestrian Rovers side who to be honest looked like they didn't even want to be there yesterday, I've seen how well and how fast this Rovers side can play and that yesterday was country miles away from what I seen against Hearts and Aberdeen. Cant look into it very much as its only a kick about.

Jews Peter you really should check with me first! The cup tie was a 3-0 win but should hav been 4 as Doug Soutar had a penalty saved by Willie Whiteside.
Bobby Reid was sent off in the 5-1 game along with Benny McGuire in our promotion winning season. Reid was sent off for kneeing Jimmy Finlayson in the gooiies!

Liam, jus because I was at High School with your brother John doesn't mean you can have a pop at me! I am merely excersising my brain to see how much of the past I can remember. You must also remember I never kept a scrap book therefore I have no reference point for these stats, unlike you. The scrap book is high up on my "Bucket List", and will be a major project for me during one of our bleak winters. I believe all the necessary info can be had from old copies of the East FIfe Mail at the library in Methil, but I'm sure if it's not you will point me in the right direction!!

Not a problem Peter, happy to help. ;-)
If you are looking for cuttings for your scrapbook Stephen Mill is your man, sure he'd be happy to help a legend

Contact details for Stephen?

I'll e mail you tomorrow with his contact details