Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
elgin

More of the same please! Watching bbc updates this afternoon.

Re: elgin

This is a crucial game. Make as much noise as you possibly can. Mon the Fife!

East Fife 1 Elgin 0

Scorer Page at 9 mins.

1-1

We won 2-1 Page & Austin scored

Hard fought win today against a very decent Elgin side
Thought Pat Slattery was immense today.
We seem to be much more aware and savy than last season
Well done Manager and team today

Great Win today, again the whole team done well, looking much more like a team now & playing for each other!! Well done guys & more of the same next week please 😊

Fifer 11

Agreed thought we battled well off the ball and played some fantastic and moving. Beginning to look like a settled confident team.
Pat was my MOTM Mercer just behind him for me.
Bring on Motherwell on tuesday and I'll take anyone in the next round

P.S I thought we were the only team worthy of the 3 points didn't think Elgin deserved even a point from us yesterday going on both teams performance(s)

Missed the Berwick game, but very impressed with the way the team performed yesterday against tough opposition. Mercer & Walker were standouts for me but everyone deserved credit. Passing & movement great to watch. Won it in style.
Like night and day compared with past 3 or 4 seasons.

As has been mentioned previously, that score line really, in no way adequately shows how convincing and comfortable a victory that that actually was, if anything it flatters Elgin by making the casual reader assume that they were in the game more than they actually were!!!

59% possession, 20 shots (13 of which on target), the stats show how impressive our performance actually was, against the “Form” side in the Division, they played better than Berwick did last week, as you would expect from the undefeated League Leaders, we only scored twice after all, but still they had nothing that really troubled us!!!

I don’t know if Weir got his tactics seriously wrong or if they were really suffering after their midweek exertions, but it really looked to me as if they came for a draw with anything else being a bonus, a shame that when they have a player the calibre of Gunn that they play him in what was nearly a midfield role, they played a three at the back which was usually a five, with the amount of pressing or wide players were doing on their wingbacks and a midfield three which 9 times out of ten also became a five, they were content to hit on the break and look to capitalise on any mistakes, which is where their goal, one of the only two shots on target they had in the entire game, came from. I honestly expected undefeated, haven’t lost a League Goal yet, Top of The League Elgin to be better!!!

I think if Elgin played with the intensity and desire that they showed in the final Ten minutes, where their play stopped the “Possession %age” from being really embarrassing and when they had their only other attempt on target, it would have really have been a different game, I still don’t think they would have troubled us too much but they would have perhaps shown us the side that ripped Alloa, Arbroath and The Shire “new ones” over the last couple of weeks because that side was swept aside yesterday!!!

As to our players, again the only fault I had with any of them was the Fash looked like he was saving himself for the 2nd half as he really didn’t do anything in the 1st, the rest of them just seemed to carry on from where they left it last week. For me our best player was again Naysmith, I think his work goes largely unnoticed when you have the skill and speed merchants like Fash and Wilkie catching the eye, but his use of the ball is always intelligent and his organisation is excellent. This is the fittest Gary has been since he has joined us, hopefully with all his injury problems behind him, it is really like getting a new player, more specifically an international class player with 40odd caps as a new signing. When fit he IS the best player in this Division!!!

Think you are being a bit harsh on Elgin. They had a cup game that went to ET on Wed night against acteam 2 divs above them and it showed yday. Look what happened to us after beating Dunfermline in the cup 2 seasons ago. I'm sure things will be different when we visit Elgin.

DPH
Think you are being a bit harsh on Elgin. They had a cup game that went to ET on Wed night against acteam 2 divs above them and it showed yday. Look what happened to us after beating Dunfermline in the cup 2 seasons ago. I'm sure things will be different when we visit Elgin.

I mentioned that, I said that "I don’t know if Weir got his tactics seriously wrong or if they were really suffering after their midweek exertions"!!!

But all the same, I think my summing up is factual, they honestly must have came to Bayview yesterday thinking they were the Billy-Big-Bollocks of the Division, unbeaten and without a goal against them and we made them look ordinary...very ordinary!!!

I also think a lot of flack has been dished out in the past when our Team has underperformed, just look two weeks ago to the East Stirling game, the last two weeks we have been superb it is only right and just that that is highlighted on the same media!!!

King Kebab
As has been mentioned previously, that score line really, in no way adequately shows how convincing and comfortable a victory that that actually was, if anything it flatters Elgin by making the casual reader assume that they were in the game more than they actually were!!!

59% possession, 20 shots (13 of which on target), the stats show how impressive our performance actually was, against the “Form” side in the Division, they played better than Berwick did last week, as you would expect from the undefeated League Leaders, we only scored twice after all, but still they had nothing that really troubled us

For me our best player was again Naysmith, I think his work goes largely unnoticed when you have the skill and speed merchants like Fash and Wilkie catching the eye, but his use of the ball is always intelligent and his organisation is excellent. This is the fittest Gary has been since he has joined us, hopefully with all his injury problems behind him, it is really like getting a new player, more specifically an international class player with 40odd caps as a new signing. When fit he IS the best player in this Division!!!

Gary is looking fit again and pit in a solid display yesterday, doesn't get MOTM for me as I though he passed the ball to them A LOT yesterday.
You mentioned being critical of Fash first have as he looked like conserving energy my only moan about a good performance (besides not scoring more) would be Ryan in goals, he left me nervous a few times trying to claim balls and flapping.

BaSeDGoDSA1NT

Gary is looking fit again and pit in a solid display yesterday, doesn't get MOTM for me as I though he passed the ball to them A LOT yesterday.

King Kebab
BaSeDGoDSA1NT

WOW "facepalm"

Thanks for all this info KK. Had to swap Dundonald for a corporate bash at Tannadice yesterday. Man's got to do what a mans' got to do. I think your comments regarding Gary as a player are spot on. I don't know how many times I've said on this forum that his best contribution to the team is playing on the park. Good to hear someone else with the same opinion. If he ever felt he was being too exposed by the opposition in the wide area, he could easily play "sweeper" until he was 40. If I managed to do it then anybody can!

Looking forward to the game on Tuesday with the team growing in confidence with these positive results and displays. Hope we have a good turn out, and that they bring a few fans along as well to improve things on the financial front. I've even told the club I'll forfeit my royalties for my article in the match programme!!!

My philophosoy way back when we played them and Celtic, and Rangers was "they've only got one heed, two arms, and two legs just like me, so what's to fear? Mon The Fife.