Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Sponsor a child

East Fife Youth Academy has launched a new incentive to try and help more families and kids take part and join our family. Sadly In our society there are lots of kids who through no fault of their own can not come to us for financial reasons beyond the child's control. For some the academy may be their only escape from reality, so today we are launching a sponsorship programme. We are looking for businesses or individuals to pay for a child to train for a year. This can be a one off payment of £240 or a monthly DD of £20, the academy will provide the child with their registration and training kit etc. Imagine the difference it would make to a child ......can you help? make a difference the EFYA way ⚽️

Re: Sponsor a child

£20 a month is a hell of a lot of money. Does this mean at the moment we are missing out on kids from poor homes who cant join the academy?

Why does it cost that much? Are the coaches paid wages?

It is a lot of money which is why we asking for help, it is however needed to cover all the costs associated such as pitch hires, kits equipment training for coaches etc.
We are on par if not cheaper than other local clubs. Coaches for the youth teams are all volunteers.
We already help kids to train but would be good to offer more

How will a business know that its sponsorship is indeed going to a child
in need of said sponsorship? Obviously I wouldn't expect the child's name
to be disclosed which would be very unfair.

Agree no names could be given, however we can give updates to the sponsor on the child's training and the difference to their progress being made. I guess their would need to be some trust in us as an organisation but please be assured we are a community organisation non profit all monies are invested into what we do. The programme is still in it's initial stages and we will be working closely with the local social work children and families team who would also be able to confirm a child's placement.

Put me down for £20 a month, and e-mail me with the bank details. Sounds like a good initiative to me, and the club may unearth a gem that otherwise would not be found. When I was growing up I was lucky to have parents who had the financial where with all to fund my football life albeit the cost back then not nearly as much as it is today. Just a strip and a pair of boots and a ball was all we needed. Playing in the street and the playing fields surrounding our area cost nothing back then. I was the youngest of 4 boys so they didn't have a lot of spare cash to throw about, but made sure I got whatever I needed on the football front was able to pay my mum back when I signed for the Fife in 1967, but sadly my dad passed away in 1968, a year after he met with Jimmy Bonthrone in the Aberdour Hotel to get me signed up. Thanks to my part time wages I was able to give my mum all of my wages by way of dig money. For all you young Fifers "dig " money was something you paid to help with all the household bills. Sadly it seems to have been lost in the mists of time!!

That is very generous of you, I will send you an email with the youth academy's details. You will make a massive difference to a child's life. Thanks again Lorna

Got the bank details at the game yesterday, and will set up a SO or DD sometime this week.

My standing order is set up to kick off from October, and will run indefinitely. How many groups are there in the academy, and what are their ages?
It seems fundraising is an essential part in the running of this important element of East Fife F.C. Finances at any club will dictate that money spent on developing home grown talent is money well spent.
Give some thought to having a "Meet and Quiz an East Fife Legend" for the entire academy and their parents, guardians,grandparents, brothers, sisters etc in the lounge at New Bayview. We can talk about what it takes to be a professional footballer, how important are educational qualifications, and what are the chances of making it to the big time?
The use of the kitchen facilities to sell juice, coffee, tea, and maybe some home baking could bring in some additional funds as well, and I'm sure the grannies in particular would love to get the old rolling pin out, and bake away!